Start by marking “Hello Girls” as Want to Read:
Hello Girls

Hello Girls

Thelma and Louise gets remade in this powerful, darkly funny teen novel from acclaimed authors Brittany Cavallaro and Emily Henry. Two teenage girls who have had enough of the controlling men in their lives take their rage on the road to make a new life for themselves.

Winona has been starving for life in the seemingly perfect home that she shares with her seemingly perfect
Published August 6th 2019 by Katherine Tegen Books

To ask other readers questions about Hello Girls, please sign up.
Cat It is definitely for older crowd - I'd say, 15+.
TW: domestic abuse, drugs, murder, gambling.…more
It is definitely for older crowd - I'd say, 15+.
TW: domestic abuse, drugs, murder, gambling.(less)
Scout
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

Start your review of Hello Girls
Hailey (Hailey in Bookland)
Video review - https://youtu.be/w9617uq7Kk0?t=73

This was such a quick read but unfortunately it wasn’t really for me. I was totally engrossed in the story because I had no clue where it was going but then when I got to probably 70% of the way through, I just started losing interest. I was so far in that I sped through the rest of it so I could finish.

*ARC provided in exchange for an honest review by HarperCollins Frenzy*
Chelsea (chelseadolling reads)
I am so mad at myself for putting this off for so long because I FUCKING LOVED THIS. WOW.
emma
I have a new favorite subgenre.

It’s called “quick, men-are-trash contemporaries,” and while up until recently I did not know it existed, this book indicates that it does and I, for one, am quite pleased to learn about it.

Unfortunately, this was just a liiiiittle too quick of a read.

This is a Thelma-and-Louise type situation where these two BFFs with bad home lives flee away on a light crime spree across the country to find the Thelma’s lost mother and get into many hijinks and malfeasance along
rin ( ̄ヘ ̄)	 read/watch mo dao zu shi
*slides $10* make them gay
Jeff Zentner
Dec 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I am deeply fortunate to have gotten to read this as a manuscript.

HELLO GIRLS is a razor-sharp union of sidesplitting dark comedy, fierce feminism, and poignant friendship, paced like an Alfa-Romeo at full throttle, and written in gleaming, perfect, gutpunch sentences.

One of the sharpest, funniest, and most perfectly written books I’ve ever read. This story of two best friends on the lam will have you alternating between rolling with laughter and picking your jaw up off the floor in wonder.

Bri
Emily
Nov 14, 2017 added it  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
a good book full of very bad ideas
megs_bookrack
Thelma & Louise for the next generation???

Sign me the F*UP!!

Jananie (thisstoryaintover)
was not expecting to love this. BUT I DID. what a wild ride.
Madalyn (Novel Ink)
This review originally appeared on Novel Ink as part of the Hello Girls blog tour.

content warnings: drugs, alcohol, domestic abuse, parental abuse, disordered eating, gambling, murder, violence, mentions of prostitution

Having read and loved books by both Cavallaro and Henry, I went into Hello Girls fully expecting to enjoy it, and it did not disappoint. It’s a
chloe ♡
Jul 30, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
despite the way the world had seen them, despite what it had demanded of them, the lies it had told and the love it had taken away, the insistence that they be both more and less than who they were, despite the rent they had to pay, the utility bills, the days in line waiting for them at the dmv, the interviews for jobs, the meals they would have to make and the floors they would have to clean and the windows they would have to close against the night sky –

lucille had the confused sense that
sally♡
this was really really really really really really really good !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
there are so many great things about this book, but can i just say a few:
💋 the BEST FRIENDSHIP between winona and lucille was absolute GOALS and so so amazing !! the whole book is literally girls supporting girls and best girlfriends roadtripping across the country, robbing gas stations, and drugging men who buy pills to drug young women. absolutely badass, fun, and a little insane. i LOVE it. non and lucy always have
TL
Aug 14, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This was just okay for me. I was interested in where the story was going but around 60% it started to go flat for me.

The idea was good but it never felt fully formed and the girls didn't jump off the page. There were some good moments sprinkled throughout and some of the humor was okay. *shrugs* That's about it really.

A few times I thought I sense a different vibe between the girls but the authors didn't see how to go about it? Maybe? Could be just me.

Not a bad summer read, not a standout.

Writin
Stacee
Jul 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
I was completely sold on the idea of a Thelma and Louise story. I didn’t even need to know more than that.

I loved Winona and Lucille. They’re similar and entirely different and I really enjoyed seeing how they became friends. Nearly every man in this story is a d-bag, yet it was so accurate at the same time.

Plot wise, it’s sort of a roller coaster. There’s a bit of a slow start as we get the back story of the two of them, but when the bang hits, it doesn’t let go. The ending didn’t go in the d
noa
Jul 24, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Tw : physical abuse, manipulation

ARC provided by Edelweiss in exchange for an honest review

“Why did people lie ? With their words, with their voices, with their bodies, with their beautiful houses and beautiful clothes and sometimes even their faces ? Why couldn’t everyone just be what they were ? Monsters should look like monsters.”

Between the ages of 12 and 15, I dreamt of running away in a Thelma and Louise way (not because my life was horrible, but because of imagination and vicarious
Faith Simon
Oct 27, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is exactly the feminist revenge story I wanted when it was announced. This is to say, I was not at all disappointed by this book.
Who doesn't love two BFFs robbing convenience stores and driving across the country on the run from abusive family members? I adore some good road trip stories, and this one may just top any others I've ever read.
The idea of these two authors coming together to write this was honestly one of the best ideas of our generation. This book is riddled with feminist qu
Sanna
★★☆☆☆
————————————————————————
I did not feel connected to this story at all. I mixed up the two characters all the time, even in the end. This story made me feel NOTHING, which is something that never happend to me before. I did not have high expectations but I thought that I atleast would enjoy it a little bit, my mistake.

To be honest, I don't remeber what the story were about. Two girls going on a roadtrip, kinda. I know that one of the girls wanted to get away from her dad but I don't remember
layla⚡

winona olsen lives a supposedly blessed life; she is the daughter of stormy olsen, the meteorologist of the town of kingsville, known for his philanthropic efforts and his kind and loving nature. but other than him, only winona knows of the cigarette burn on her skin, the snipping of her beautiful auburn hair, and the locked keys of the pantry. only she knows of the monster that lurks behind the kind exterior of her father.

lucille pryce is done with living a half-life : she wants to
Irene Sim
This book is the equivalent of a Quentin Tarantino movie. It's hilarious at momments, caustic and sad in others, the situations, costumes, the way the action evolves it's high cinematic. The relationship between the two MC's is something to admire in real life, the strength and support they provide each other is astonishing.
Emily Henry has become one of my favorite authors (even though Beach Read was a total miss IMHO) and in this book she proves once again the diversity of her writting.
2.5/ 5 stars

Hello Girls is Young Adult contemporary fiction.

The narrators are 17 year olds Winona and Lucille (3rd person POVs).

The story is about two best friends who leave their awful family members behind. They go on a road trip Thelma & Louise style. The story is a bit dark.

I liked both girls. But I was very angry at both of their home situations. They both had male family members who were horrible people.

I liked the idea of this book. Two teens going on the road. I didn't mind some of th
Dylan
Feb 14, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was sent to me by the publisher, in return for an honest review. Of course, all thoughts are my own.

3.5 stars.

I have incredibly mixed feelings about this book.

This seems to have been written for me. My favorite trope *ever* is vigilante teenage girls. I just find the entire trope so thrilling and impowering. While I loved that aspect of HELLO GIRLS, it's far from a perfect story.

First off, these girls are pretty dumb. I can't go into too much detail since the parts where their lack of thin
Shannon (It Starts At Midnight)
You can find the full review and all the fancy and/or randomness that accompanies it at It Starts at Midnight .

Parts of this book were super. Like a road trip! And two young women being completely over the patriarchy! And strong female friendships! But for whatever reason (and I can't fully articulate them which I realize makes me the worst), I just never fully connected to the characters, and by extension, the story.

Here's the thing: most of the people in this story are pure and total garbage.
Tucker  (TuckerTheReader)
Two of the best mystery authors... This is their brainchild. It had better come through

| Goodreads | Blog | Pinterest | LinkedIn | YouTube | Instagram
Ellie
Jan 14, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: yacontemporary
Two best friends go on a road trip to get away from their shitty home life and wow what an intense book!

I really enjoyed reading this but it was pretty dark. Winona and Lucille can’t catch a break in life and it’s so sad too see them struggling to break free. The middle was a bit slow and I struggled to keep reading but it picks up at the end. The ending was very frustrating but overall not a terrible book.

-3.5 STARS-

*Definitely reminded me a lot of Thelma and Louise*
S.M. Parker
Mar 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
THIS IS MY EVERYTHING!!!!!!
Maile
Dec 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was such an amazing read! Girl power to the max; it was so funny and empowering!

Thank you to Katherine Tegen Books and Harper Collins for the free ARC!
gaby ✿
Hello Girls follows the story of two best friends named Winona and Lucille on this epic road-trip to escape their toxic family lives, spreading its themes of friendship, feminism and crime one mile at a time. I really really wish I had enjoyed it, but to be honest giving this book three stars is honestly probably an overstatement. I genuinely did not enjoy it all that much.

- One of the few good things about this book is its "men are trash" feminist mantra it spreads on each page. Two girls di
Nicole Alycia
Aug 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I absolutely loved this rollercoaster ride of a book!
When Winona and Lucille finally reach their breaking points they run away from home together to start a life free from everything holding them back. But things don’t exactly go the way they envisioned.
From robbing convenience stores to faking a kidnapping, these girls are on a wild ride across the country that there’s no going back from.
Such a fun, fast paced book that I could not put down! Highly recommend it and can’t wait to see what the
Stacy Fetters
Aug 25, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"I don’t know you or your business, honey, but I can tell you this- you two are the Lamborghini of problems."

Thelma and Louise is a movie that everyone should see at least once. I’ve seen it a while back but I remember the gist of it. This is a modern version of that movie with a riot of problems and a deep friendship that no one can come between.

Winona and Lucille became fast friends years ago. They spotted each other overthinking turning their families into the police but they found serenity
Mari Johnston
Jul 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This review and many others can also be found at Musings of a (Book) Girl.

Content Warnings: child abuse, Alzheimer’s, underage drinking, gun violence, drugs

First off, you need to know that I would die for Winona and Lucille. These two are the absolute best characters in the world and I would do anything for their happiness.

Hello Girls is easily one of my top three books of 2019 so far. I haven’t read any of Brittany Cavallaro or Emily Henry’s solo novels, but I’m definitely dying to now. There a
Danielle (Life of a Literary Nerd)
You know when you start a book and know immediately that it's not going to click with you. That was me after starting HELLO GIRLS. I read about 10% of the book, but I felt no connection to the characters or the relationships. I also didn't feel anything about Winona or Lucy's situation which should have been a big emotional investment from me. I love friendship stories but this one was a miss for me.

• Let's Call It a Doomsday
  • When the Sky Fell on Splendor
  • The Love That Split the World
  • Yes No Maybe So
  • If It Makes You Happy
  • The Babysitters Coven (The Babysitters Coven, #1)
  • Now Entering Addamsville
  • Field Notes on Love
  • Look Both Ways: A Tale Told in Ten Blocks
  • Hungry Hearts: 13 Tales of Food & Love
  • Butterfly Yellow
  • A Million Junes
  • Mind Games
  • There Will Come a Darkness (The Age of Darkness, #1)
  • Deposing Nathan
  • Amazons, Abolitionists, and Activists: A Graphic History of Women's Fight for Their Rights
  • The Year They Fell
  • The Black Coats
Brittany Cavallaro is a poet, fiction writer, and old school Sherlockian. She is the New York Times bestselling author of the Charlotte Holmes novels from HarperCollins/Katherine Tegen Books, including A STUDY IN CHARLOTTE, THE LAST OF AUGUST, THE CASE FOR JAMIE, and A QUESTION OF HOLMES. She's also the author of the poetry collections GIRL-KING and UNHISTORICAL (University of Akron) and is the re ...more

Articles featuring this book