Start by marking “Chimera” as Want to Read:
Chimera

Chimera

3.49  ·  Rating details ·  39 Ratings  ·  8 Reviews
David Chen severed his family ties to become a virtual reality artist on the Net. Jewel Martina left an impoverished family in the 'burbs to become a medical aid, on her way to becoming a VR deal-broker in the economic network that spanned the world. When Jewel saves David's partner's life, it becomes clear someone wanted him dead. There is trouble brewing on the Net, and ...more
Mass Market Paperback, 324 pages
Published October 4th 1993 by Del Rey (first published 1993)

To ask other readers questions about Chimera, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Chimera

Mike
Oct 09, 2017 rated it it was ok
Chimera had sat on my to read shelf for over 20 years. It had never grabbed my attention but it looked thin and I needed a quick read so I eventually gave it a go. Oh dear!! It was not a quick read. I couldn't really get into it, but I didn't want to give up on it. It wasn't bad, but it wasn't good either. I kept thinking its going to get good soon, but never did.
Dennise Sleeper
Jul 28, 2014 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this stimulating read. Many threads all focused on where does reality begin and virtual end?

Brought to mind 'Max Headroom' and 'The Matrix.'

Earth's health and economy continue to decline and mankind is struggling to exist and, yet, the same problems of how to escape exist. So, mankind continues to turns to drugs, medical intervention and now virtual reality.

Virtual reality is both an escape and the latest venue for making money.

Follow Jewel, a girl raised in the 'burbs, David, a virtua
Felicia
Jul 30, 2008 rated it it was amazing
I read "Horizons" by Mary Rosenblum after last year's Orycon. She is good and has a really good handle on both SF and family relationships in Chinese culture. Like "Horizons", "Chimera" dealt with these topics, plus a lot about people's relationships with their own past. Again, I am really impressed with her work. She was able to take a complicated plot and make it into a story with a very clear storyline. She took wounded characters and made them into people worth caring about. Very impressive.
M—
Jan 21, 2013 rated it liked it
Dense, rich, complex, and surprisingly clear.
Andreas
Jun 05, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: science-fiction
It's been a long time since I have read the book. I remember that I enjoyed it a lot. Not so easy to read but a nice experience with some good ideas.
Eija
Helppolukuinen, vaikka pompittiin virtuaallimaailmasta todelliseen.
Hyvin kirjoitettu. Tunnelmallinen jännitystarina.
Liviu
Kiana
Nov 30, 2015
Renae
May 08, 2014 rated it did not like it
I bought this book hoping it'd be one of those sci-fi books that's so bad it's good.

It wasn't.
dogunderwater
Sep 18, 2012
Erika
Sep 20, 2012
Mary Rosenblum was a science fiction/fantasy and mystery author. She grew up in Allison Park, "a dead little coal mining town outside Pittsburgh PA," and attended Reed College in Oregon, earning a biology degree. She attended the Clarion West workshop in 1988.

Her first story came out in 1990 and her first novel in 1993. Her career began, and has largely returned to, science fiction. However, from
More about Mary Rosenblum