Start by marking “The Yellow Lantern: True Colors: Historical Stories of American Crime” as Want to Read:
The Yellow Lantern: True Colors: Historical Stories of American Crime

The Yellow Lantern: True Colors: Historical Stories of American Crime

(True Colors)

Josephine Is Forced to Spy for Grave Robbers
Step into True Colors -- a new series of Historical Stories of Romance and American Crime

In Massachusetts in 1824, Josephine Clayton awakes on the table of the doctor she's assisted all these months. She was presumed dead by all and has become the doctor's next corpse for his medical research. Frightened, the doctor tries to kil
Published August 1st 2019 by Barbour Books

To ask other readers questions about The Yellow Lantern, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Yellow Lantern

Fran
May 16, 2019 rated it liked it
Josephine Clayton (Josie Clay) had a passion for healing herbs. She was happy "...among the scents, textures and memory of a less complicated time." "Mourning had taught her that living proved more difficult", especially after her mother's death. Josie worked as medical assistant to Dr. Chadwick. Chadwick was too quick to operate on a patient who was transferred from a sickbed, a patient "...who doesn't have much longer on earth."

Josie fell victim to the doctor's deception. "Dr. Chadwick with kn
Karen Kay
I received this from Netgalley.com for a review.

In 1824, Josephine Clayton is considered dead by everyone in her Massachusetts village—especially the doctor she gas assisted for several months. Yet, she is still very much alive.

A feel good story with a feel good ending wrapped in a truly horrific truth, killing people to sell their bodies. But, I never felt truly connected to any of the characters and found myself bored with the story and felt it lacking in real depth.

2.5☆
Andrea Cox
FTC Disclosure: NetGalley gave me a complimentary copy of this ebook. A positive review was not required. These are my honest thoughts.

Wow. From beginning to end, this story swept me away, into the gothic night of 1820s Massachusetts, where graves were being robbed… and hearts shattered.

The opening scene was so shocking and vividly written with powerful wording that I knew I was in for an adventure vintage actor Peter Lorre would probably have starred in as a show-stealing secondary character. T
Paula Shreckhise
The Yellow Lantern by Angie Dicken is a book in the series True Colors, Historical Stories Of American Crime.

The Yellow Lantern is seen as a symbol of light and life and if it is extinguished—Death!

Josie Clayton learned the art of healing herbs from her mother. She also told Josie that the symbol of Lilacs is first love. “ Mother told her to always remember her first love — Christ, the Creator and Comforter.”
Josie has always tried to do what is right, even working to get her father out of deb
Deanne Patterson
True crime has always fascinated me although I don't get a chance to read it as much as I used to.
This series of books Barbour has out, True Colors: Historical Stories of American Crime fascinates me and each story in the series is based off of a truth.
This story really fascinated me in the sense it's different than most stories I read in it's topic coverage. It deals with grave robbers, how's that for putting it out there?
I love historical stories, they are my favorite but I do love reading top
Staci
Jul 28, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-in-2019
I love the concept of this series and the first novel, The White City, was very well done. The next two have missed the mark for me. In The Yellow Lantern the subject matter is at once gruesome and fascinating. The story line and romance, however, didn't hold my interest after the initial pages which were engaging.

My gratitude to publisher Barbour for a complimentary copy of the novel. I was not required to post a review and the opinions expressed are my own.
Trisha Robertson (Joy of Reading)
See Full Review At: https://joyofreadingweb.wordpress.com...

Step back in time to 1824 when medical science is rudimentary at best and exploratory science is booming. A dead body on the black market was worth a small fortune, and once you started down that path, it was impossible to navigate the twists and turns to find your way out.

When Josephine Clayton wakes up on the doctors examining table, with him standing over her ready to perform the post-mortem. Her life is spared, but she is ruthlessl
Stacy
May 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: true-crime-cba
Author Angie Dicken tells a tale which is both chilling and makes you pull for the main characters as they are so likable.

It's hard to describe this story as it sweeps you away to another time and place, 1824 in Massachusetts. Josie, the heroine, is forced to work with a less-than-savory character in their search for medical answers. As the story unwinds you hold your breath, as the tempo increases while the pages fly past your fingers.

It combines the perfect notes of chilling scenes, burgeoni
Janet

Forced to Spy for Grave Robbers
True Colors – Fiction Based on Strange-But-True History

Suzie Waltner
Aug 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
3.5 Stars

In an effort to save her father, Josephine Clayton (Josie Clay) takes a position at a factory. Braham Taylor, the factory foreman, prides himself in gauging the characters of the people he hires. Yet, his newest employee is a mixture of challenge and mystery as well as strength and vulnerability.

As Josie (unsuccessfully) tries to blend in and play her part in a conspiracy, mysterious accidents are occurring within the factory walls.

I thoroughly enjoyed the romance in The Yellow Lantern.
Andi
Jul 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: empty-shelf-2019
This book took me back to 1824 when medical science was archaic and grave robbing was popular. As I started this book I had a chill going up my spine. I had no idea grave robbing was a real thing let alone it was something that was done for research. I felt like I was reading a Gothic romantic mystery.
Ms. Dicken writes a mystery like Agatha Christie. I was on pins and needles the entire time. I kept turning pages late into the night attempting to figure out the mystery.
Josie and Braham were a gr
Rebecca
Jul 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
"In my village, there were thieves in the night . . . . . Body snatchers."

Is it possible to look upon one's grave and yet remain very much alive? Such was the life that Josie Clay, formerly known as Josephine Clayton, was living, but it came with a price. The fact that she lived and breathed upon the table of a snatcher meant that another had to take her place; a cruel trade-off for the sake of her penniless father.

Travelling away from her hometown to find employment while she watched
Best In Suspense - Kelly Underwood
The Yellow Lantern is another in the True Crimes series that focuses on historical crimes in America. Set in the early 1800’s, this story deals with the criminal activity of grave robbers stealing bodies in the middle of the night. The story starts off with Josephine Clayton, who gets sucked into the grave robbers’ scheme. She becomes the look-out for bodies and begins working in a mill run by Braham Taylor.

This novel started out with plenty of suspense and intrigue. It’s an unusual topic and st
Trixi
Jul 02, 2019 rated it really liked it

What price will Josie pay for love when her secrets begin to unravel?

They call them grave robbers, body snatchers or resurrectionists. Those, who after the burial, stole a body in the middle of the night to perform medical procedures, all in the name of research. Or who killed when death was eminent, to quickly fill their need for a fresh body. It’s the unfortunate gruesome piece of our American history that I learned about in The Yellow Lantern. While it wasn’t my favorite subject t
Maureen Timerman
Jun 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019
I had a hard time getting into this book, the beginning was so realistic, and scary, I can’t even imagine, but that being said I didn’t know where we were going with the story, but quickly found out!
There is greed here, and surprises happen right up until the last page is turned, keep turning those pages.
Sadly, this story is based on true crimes, and when you think of this actually happening, and when the need is not met, well, just add a few!
When I was reading this story, I felt I was in old Eu
MJSH
Jul 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-2019
“How he’d wish that some of those yesterdays would stop creeping into his todays...”

This is the first book by Angie Dicken I have read. It is well-written with a fascinating premise, a plot that contains surprises, main characters who have experienced grief and suffering, and faith woven into the characters’ lives. The atmosphere of the story is eerie with a gothic undertone, set in 1824 Massachusetts, as Josephine gets blackmailed into finding fresh graves that can be dug up and the deceased so
Rebekah Millet
Jul 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This was the first book I'd read by Angie Dicken, and I was blown away! From the first lines, I found it impossible to put this novel down. Hauntingly beautiful, the characters were rich in depth, and the settings oh-so-real. A must read for those who love historical romance filled with mystery and suspense.
Kailey
Jul 31, 2019 rated it really liked it
I found this book to be really interesting. I was almost afraid to read it, but I’m glad that I did. Angie Dicken did a great job writing a story about a dark subject. I really cared for Josephine and Braham.

I received a complimentary copy from the publisher. I was not required to write a positive review. All opinions expressed are mine alone.
Ann
Jul 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book is well written and will keep you on the edge of your seat. It is full of suspense and will keep you turning the pages to see what happens next. I really enjoyed this book. Thank you Barbour Publishing via NetGalley for the ARC copy of this book. All opinions expressed are my own.
Denise Levendoski
Thank you to Angie Dicken and Goodreads.com I won this book in a Giveaway.

Clean, refreshing story about a dark time in our history. The father's plight wasn't explained enough for me but didn't take away from the story. Very interesting and informative read.
Yvette (bookworlder)
True Colors is a multi-author series from Barbour Books that weaves true crime into historical fiction filled with danger and a bit of romance. The third book in the series, The Yellow Lantern by Angie Dicken, begins with a nightmare inducing scene and the tension does not let up from there.

The hazards of working in a mill, the dangers of being a female mill worker, the greed and villainy of grave robbers, and the struggles that Josephine and Braham go through all meld into an engrossing story.
Lacey Allain
May 06, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: netgalley
I think this story line, especially where relating to grave robbery, had the potential to be much more interestingly written. The book starts off strong with Josephine awakening in a terrifying situation and draws the reader in, but I found the bulk of the story when she is working as a mill girl quite dull. I did enjoy the historical vision of women working in mills during this time period and the highlighting of unsafe work conditions.

Advance copy provided by Netgalley.
Carol Kean
Aug 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
"Fiction Based on Strange-But-True History" is a sure way to get my attention. In "The Yellow Lantern," Angie Dicken illuminates the morbid business of grave diggers stealing cadavers to advance medical science. I love fiction that preserves historical information most of us never learn in school. "The true crime of body snatching was more rampant than rare throughout history," Dicken writes in an afterword to the reader. "I was surprised to come across a case where several stolen bodies supplie ...more
Jeanie
Aug 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: celebratelit
This fascinating novel is third in Barbour’s multi-author series “True Colors: Historical Stories of American Crime”. It is exciting, with characters defined through actions, conversations, and thoughts. It is based on actual crimes in general in the early 1800’s that anyone desperate for money to help a loved one, could fall into. It is written with skill and sensitivity.

Josephine awakens to find Dr. Chadwick, who she works for as an assistant, ready to plunge a knife into her. The fact that sh
Aug 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
When Barbour introduced the True Colors series, I was immediately intrigued. True crime is an interesting genre, and one that I have both read about and watched documentaries about over the years. Having a basis of factual information, this subject tends toward more neutral ground with regard to narrative voice and presentation, and part of what makes True Colors so unique is the Christian aspect. The characters and precise situations are fictional, but the crimes themselves actually happened, a ...more
Nicole
It is often said that Hamlet by William Shakespeare is the thinking man’s play. I believe wholeheartedly that The Yellow Lantern by Angie Dicken is the thinking woman’s novel. Without a doubt this well-written story had me contemplating some seriously unique topics. I enjoyed the plot and relatable characters, but I especially appreciate that The Yellow Lantern had me considering so many distinctive themes.

Of the many characters in this story, I very much disliked Josie’s father. I actually disl
Bea
Jul 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The Yellow Lantern by Angie Dicken is a True Colors Historical Story of American Crime. The story takes place in the fictional town of Gloughton, Massachusetts in 1824. At that time in history, many physicians and medical schools were involved in what was termed “resurrections” or grave robbery in order to examine human bodies for medical research. This practice, which was eventually outlawed, is what this author has written about.

Josephine Clayton, whose Mother taught her about the healing qual
Connie Saunders
Aug 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
Grave robbers! Body snatchers! Medical research! These are the themes found in The Yellow Lantern and author Angie Dicken has written a story that I found both intriguing and disturbing. I had heard of robbing graves to steal jewels and other objects off of dead bodies but I wasn't as familiar with these corpses being removed to be used for medical research. The opening scene describes a young girl, presumed dead and already buried, who awakens to find herself staring up at a doctor with a knife ...more
Kim
Jul 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
The Yellow Lantern
by Angie Dicken
Part of True Colors – Historical Stories of Romance and American Crime
Rating: 4/5

Imagine waking up in 1824 in Massachusetts and being told that you were already pronounced dead. Imagine being told that your body was taken by grave robbers for the purpose of medical research. Imagine that in order to keep your life and your family’s lives safe, you are forced to spy for said grave robbers in order to get more cadavers. How would you handle that? How would you deal
Jun 16, 2019 rated it liked it
3.5 stars- This is the latest book in Barbour’s true American crime series. This series takes true crimes in American history and creates a fictional story around these events. The crimes are pretty heavy in nature so I wasn’t expecting a light hearted read. It starts off morbid and pretty much continues down that path the whole book. After being mistaken for dead and even buried, Josephine Clayton wakes up to discover she is about to become the local doctor’s next medical experiment. Shocked an ...more
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Angie Dicken credits her love of story to reading British literature during life as a military kid in Cambridgeshire, England. Now living in the U.S., she's an ACFW member, a blog contributor to the Writer's Alley, a baseball mom, and a self-proclaimed foodie. You can connect with her
on social media and learn about upcoming releases at www.angiedicken.com.

True Colors (5 books)
  • The White City (True Colors)
  • The Pink Bonnet: True Colors: Historical Stories of American Crime
  • The Gray Chamber
  • The Blue Cloak (True Colors)