Start by marking “Down and Rising” as Want to Read:
Down and Rising

Down and Rising

The debut novel from award-winning filmmaker Rohith S. Katbamna, tells the powerful story of a brave few who venture for truth in the aftermath of a global uprising.

In the year 2027, society has fallen. Mass revolts and warring nations have claimed countless lives and destroyed vast lands. Forced into a dark slumber, the world now draws fewer breaths and hosts infinite gra
Paperback, First Edition, 676 pages
Published January 12th 2019 by Independently Published

To ask other readers questions about Down and Rising, please sign up.
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Aiden Macdonald Solid find. If true, then an appropriate reference.

Raymond Chou
Jan 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
*I was fortunate to read an advanced copy as part of an impartial reader's circle before buying a copy upon release.

Cover Art: A canvas style painting with the duplicate image of a girl’s face. In addition, 10 flowers that if left to my interpretation, represent the 10 main characters. What makes this cover that much more important, is how it has been woven into the fabric of the story. You learn from the beginning that everything in this book has a reason for its place.

Characters: I was apprehe
Baljit Singh
Jan 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
WARNING: This book is suitable for mature readers.

There is violence, strong language, disturbing events.

REVIEW: Down and Rising made me feel optimistic in a strange way. Considering how depressing the situation of the 'end of the world' appeared in this story, the hopeful glimmers and strong messaging on never giving up no matter what, shone through.

There is so much to take from this story and I can't really compile them into a single review. But I will say this. I feel informed and alert to thi
William Dunham
Jan 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Fine storytelling with an atmosphere that exudes from the pages. A different kind of post-apocalyptic tale. One so timely, yet timeless.

Some very upsetting scenes which are balanced with delicate moments of human exchange. A fusion of grief and hope.

Different in the way it has been written. Artwork compliments some frighteningly realistic historical documents.

Highly recommend this.
Omar Hyatt
Jan 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Eclectic in its writing, story and presentation.

Challenges my views on life. Provides new dialogues and discourses on issues so urgent in our world. I feel motivated. Thank you.

Yasmin Khan
Jan 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Had the chance to read this back in November as part of a reader's circle.

For a debut book, it certainly didn't read like one from a first-time novelist.

Down and Rising has been written with punch and confidence. A relevant tale set in the near future but in many ways is unfolding before our very eyes.

Considering the story is set over 6 days, it feels like an epic novel. We dive into character's lives in both the past and the present and are gifted with rich 'historical materials' to feed the r
Elliott Spence
Jan 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Went in cold. Came out burning.

The 'Salvage Entries' segment is an excellent addition to the end of a 6 day odyssey of blood, sweat and tears.

For someone who finds themselves distancing from the media and barrage of bias news etc. Down and Rising is a truly sobering read. It doesn't side completely with one or the other when it comes to politics. It takes a common sense and logical approach insisting on being fundamentally sound. Using simple approaches for complex situations.

We get too tied up
Robert Farrer
Jan 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A novel written with fearlessness. Dark and bold. Takes a genre to a new place in structure, story and character depth. A demanding and rewarding read.
Ryan T.
Jan 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
An Epic Novel About the Importance of People Power.

Down and Rising documents the spirit of activism across a post-apocalyptic landscape. A rare take on the genre - which is refreshing considering the recent abundance of content from the genre.

Depending on who you are and your walk of life, you may take something entirely different away from this epic tale. For me, it was the empowerment of independent thought and the need for more empathy in the world.

It's a book that'll make the cynics uncomfor
Tania Reeves
Jan 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Experimentation at its finest.

A wonderful blend of prose, art, history, politics and masterful storytelling.
Louise Jane
Jan 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A futuristic documentary.

Unflinching with touching moments.
Danica Matus
Feb 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Imaginative. Striking. Visceral. Un-filtered.

Firstly, don't take this book on the subway. It's heavy and unless you've big hands, it'll be uncomfortable. It's a book made for someone who has put some time aside or will be in one place and not on the move. Patience is a virtue.

Secondly, the artwork is fab! It's designed as if the artist has literally drawn on the paper itself and gives that authentic/classical feel.

Thirdly, the story is one of the most layered and fleshed out narratives I've had
Travis Golders
Jan 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Fantastic collage of literature and reality. Ending packs a punch.
Jermone Kayling
Feb 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Drives the conversation right to the heart. Who are we as humans and are we worth saving?

So much to take from this work of literary art. From the social and political commentary right on through to the spiritual and psychological analysis. On top of that, there's a great deal of importance placed on simple solutions to complicated issues. About stepping back and taking a breath. Refreshing your view.

Down and Rising is a triumph of a read and an unforgettable experience with characters who bleed
James Herring
Feb 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
There have only been a handful of books in my life which I have deemed as true page-turners. This is undoubtedly one of those books.

Let's start with the plot: the year is 2027 and the 'world has fallen'. Doom and gloom befalls the broken landscapes and its characters. Something even more rotten lies underneath. This isn't just a story about 10 or so people uniting for a common truth. It's about home truths. Personal truths. The dark and seedy. The light and hopeful. There is pain and great strug
Rekha Mehra
Feb 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This was a hard read at times because of the subject matter. It was hardhitting and didn't hold back.

As someone who has gone through much of a particular character in this book (won't mention which one), I felt like I was reading an auto-biography at moments. The detail was grand and the visual scape painted through the words and description was fantastic. I don't think I've ever read a book that has made me feel so overcome with emotion. The connections between these characters and the ideas of
Aiden Macdonald
Feb 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
My first question was something like, "is this another 'sh*t on the world' book?"

This was before I read DOWN AND RISING.

My answer was firmly given by the end of the first chapter. It wasn't about sh*tting on the world. Nor was it about nihilism or misanthropy. Popular hipster things to do or be these days. It was about widening your perspective and looking at the world as a community. An extended family. Being open-minded and giving and sometimes the downsides to these - but how not to be dissua
Penny Sachi
Feb 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Mindblowing!
Brian Cain
Feb 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Sobering! Finished last night and woke up thinking about it. Still blows me away.
Sam Larson
Feb 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
It was the characters that did it for me.

Even though the story was pretty damn brilliant, the characters (who felt like real-life people) were absorbing and moving. I actually can't remember the last time I felt this attached to literary characters.

Arav and Jared are complete standouts. The latter will probably be the most controversial and most complex. But go in with an open mind and try to put your personal bias and pre-conceptions aside to understand. It's what I had to do and it paid off. I
Steve Cahill
Mar 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Why can't we have more books like this? Tackles convention and throws the rule book out of the window.

I understand why DOWN AND RISING is dubbed a "hybrid novel". It's not just the creative presentation (reminiscent of Alan Moore's seminal graphic novel, WATCHMEN). It's the feel of the book. It blends an abundace of ingredients for a colourful read.

Now having read this book during a time where we're seeing huge changes in our lifetime, it resonates with me deeply. The bureaucracy and hyprocisy s
Jonah Gray
Feb 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A human drama dressed in an apocalyptic tale. A ferocious command of characters and brutal realism.
Kelsi Browne
Mar 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
From a psychology graduate: a rich dissection of the human mind told from the perspective of (I suspect) a humanist.

Powerful observations on ego and self. I feel assured that views like those in D&R are present and confidently conveyed in such a creative way.

Our own world can be a frightening one, fraught with tension. D&R expresses ways or even offers choices to lead a positive way.

The final words uttered at the end between the two characters is in my opinion - the strongest and most ap
Dawn Graham
Mar 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Daunting at first sight. Once you get stuck in, you find yourself further than originally thought.

POSITIVES
Inventive structure
Relevant and crossover themes
Wonderful character arcs
Heartfelt moments
Smart storytelling comprised of many threads
Imaginative use of timely events
Simone Lewis
Mar 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Attacks all senses. Staggering work.
Navreet Dhillon
Apr 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book came highly recommended through my university lecturer. It is the first book I have ever reviewed or have felt compelled to comment on. I'm normally a reader of classics and poetry like Poe and Bronte along with the occassional Stephen King and John le Carré. But I took on the recommedation.

Having read many of the reviews posted by readers, I'm not all too surprised by the praise. From what I understand, this is a debut novel by an indie filmmaker who has clearly demonstrated his writi
Garry Roach
Apr 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This came recommended through a friend at work due to my interest in psychology and strangely because of my love for classic Japanese cinema. Now let me explain the reasoning for the Japanese cinema reference. My viewing library consists of films by Akira Kurosawa, Masaki Kobayashi, Yoji Yamada, Kenji Mizoguchi and Yasujirō Ozu. All directors who specialised in themes on humanity and purpose in life. I've always been fascinated by this and felt alot of my teen years and 20's were shaped by these ...more
Thomas Kelly
Apr 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Having been one of the fortunate to watch, and delight in, the highly under rated TV drama series PREMature, I was very much looking forward to reading the directors first venture into prose.

As with his TV scripts, Katbamna’s talent lies in his ability to create real characters, people that we not only feel we know but that we connect with and want to follow them on their journey. As for the story itself, given the state the country is in right now its an almost Nostradamus like prediction of wh
Kyle Lynch
Apr 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is an exceptional work with realistic dialogue.

The latter made this an engrossing read. The exchanges between characters in high-tension situations were matched by the subtle pauses and powerful silences in the quieter moments.

I truly appreciated the focus on how Arav's love for his daughter was sewn throughout the entirety of the story. How it was never forgotten and empowered every action and word. It made the ending so profound.

Sofia was a rarity in the sense that the typical 'good-looki
Hardeep Bhatti
Apr 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Destroys me with the ending. I want more! Need more!

Brilliant drawings meshed with poetic writing and eerily prophetic archives.
Rob Matteo
Apr 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A missing full stop (print error or proof error?) couldn't take away from a 5-star read. Beautiful, tragic and hopeful. A potent mix for a fervant book that at points will make your blood boil.
Born in Hammersmith, England, Rohith S. Katbamna began his writing career in the film and television industry.

Following on from his work with the BBC, Channel 4 and IFC, including his acclaimed documentary, Hooking in JoBurg, Rohith’s feature debut came at the age of 28 when he wrote, produced, shot and directed the British television miniseries, PREMature. A culmination of a decade of work on the