Start by marking “Sold Into Freedom (Planting Faith, #1)” as Want to Read:
Sold Into Freedom (Planting Faith, #1)

Sold Into Freedom

(Planting Faith #1)

Taught to hear messages from the goddess from a young age, Elantia’s life is shattered when she is captured from her home in southwest Britannia and sold as a slave in Macedonia. She wants nothing more than to escape and return home—after she kills the man who took the only good thing left in her life.

Tossed aside by the Empire, wounded tribune Quintus Valerius ends up in
Published December 12th 2019 by Four Diamonds Publishing (first published December 12th 2018)

To ask other readers questions about Sold Into Freedom, please sign up.
Carole Towriss You can leave a review here and/or on Amazon. Thanks!

Start your review of Sold Into Freedom (Planting Faith, #1)
Amanda Geaney
Jul 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
ATTENTION BIBLICAL FICTION FANS

I have a few exciting things to share about one of my favorite #ChristianFiction genres.

1. This morning I finished listening to Sold Into Freedom by Novelist Carole Towriss. I obtained my copy through my library's Hoopla app. Both the voice performance and the storyline were wonderful. **As you may recall, Mrs. Towriss also contributed to The Psalms Series (Deep Calling Deep) along with Mesu Andrews and Brennan McPherson.

2. Hadassah, Queen Esther of Persia by Diana
Janice Garey
Jun 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Review Title: The Truth About Freedom (review of Sold Into Freedom by Carole Towriss)
Reviewer: Janice S. Garey
***** 5 Stars
For those who love Biblical historical fiction, you will not be disappointed by this excellent work by Carole Towriss. For those who have not read in this genre, this would be a great place to start to whet your appetite for more. The story has immediate appeal as it is told from the point of views of two sideline characters in the true Biblical account. Those who are unfami
Jenelle Hovde
Aug 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Review to come. I am eagerly hunting more of Carole Towriss's books! Fast-paced biblical with romance and strong female leads and an enduring message of faith. My book club's pick of the month and it was wonderful!
Robyn Seitzler
Nov 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
In my years of Bible study never once have I considered the life of the servant girl freed by Paul from demons which made her a seer. Never did I stop to ponder the life of the Philippian jailer. Carole Towriss has changed the way I see “minor” characters in Scripture now. Sold into Freedom is a riveting novel that entertained me with a great story full of deep characters, and challenged me to look closer, dig deeper, as I study. I heartily recommend this book!
Phyllis
Dec 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Elantia sought revenge. After watching the destruction of her village and the murder of her family, and being sold as a slave, she was probably justified in thinking that way. At least by the standards of the world. Being as beautiful as she is, the one thing that protects her from the evil desires of her master is the thought that she needs to remain pure to be able to use her “gift”.

I love the way that author Carole Towriss writes such well-researched Biblical fiction and takes a few chapters
Monica
Nov 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
Enjoyable read about Paul’s time in Philippi. Two characters who are touched upon in scripture are the main characters in this novel-the jailer and the prophetess. Their back stories help bring the story to life. Definitely recommend.
Deba
Dec 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Set me free was her cry! The setting of this book is taken from the Book of Acts in the Bible when Paul was in Philippi, accompanied by Silas, and Timothy. Philippi was “a leading city of the district of Macedonia and a Roman colony. Each day in Philippi, while crossing the central agora (the Roman marketplace fringed with pagan temples), Paul is pestered by a slave girl who makes her owners rich by fortune-telling. An evil spirit in her keeps shouting and drawing attention to Paul and his compa ...more
Lisa
Nov 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Carole Towriss has done it again! She's taken a short story from the Bible and turned it into a well-written novel. She weaves the Scripture in seamlessly. There is a great romance in the book. The plot has twists and turns and moves along at a good pace. The setting is Philippi, a Roman city in what is now northern Greece. The novel takes place during the time of Paul's missionary journeys. I highly recommend this book. I received an ARC. I chose to write a review and share my opinion of this e ...more
Jasmine
Jan 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Historical fiction fans, Biblical fiction fans
Faith springs up in the most unlikely places...

Carole Towriss is a name that I kept hearing in Biblical fiction reading circles but up until now I hadn't read any of her books. After reading a recommendation from another Biblical fiction author that I trust, I decided to check her books out. It isn't often that I choose a book based on recommendations, the cover, or title, but Sold Into Freedom turned out to be a 'D: All The Above' type thing.

I only read part of the blurb for this book so I rea
Paulette
Jan 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
To be brutally honest, when I first started reading this book immediately it grabbed my attention, as Paul is my favorite Apostle. I figured this has to be a good read even though it is Biblical fictional to a big degree, most people know about Paul’s converting after Christ revealed himself to him, any way....This story has added twists and turns that surprised me. There was a portion where my mind wandered and I put the book down, I believe it was military. But the next time I picked it up wit ...more
MJSH
Dec 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is the first book by Carole Towriss that I have read and she has gained another fan. The author brings the world of Philippi to life in vivid color as the story, based loosely on the slave woman who becomes freed from an evil spirit and the jailer whose entire household becomes baptized during Paul and Silas’ imprisonment, unfolds with great detail, intricately woven plot, and wonderfully memorable characters. If you enjoy Biblical fiction, you will definitely love this book.

Tia, a Brittan
Kim  Gregory
Dec 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is the story of a woman ripped from her home and sold into slavery. She and her brother are taken together as slaves while her parents and other townspeople are murdered.

Tia is sold to Max, a vicious owner who wants to use her to see people's futures and give them as positive a spin as she can give them - must keep the customers happy. At first Tia's brother is with her, but Max sells him.

Quin is in Philippi because his enemies want him away from Rome. He was a soldier hurt quite badly in
Kaye
Dec 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
ONE FASINATING READ!
WOW! Man, talk about walking a tight rope. A whirlwind of emotions and events really pulls those heartstrings. A remarkable and spiritual tale that takes you back to ground zero. Carole wields her words as skillfully and precise as a surgeon with his scalpel. If you're looking for an action packed, fast paced, nerve racking, heart pounding, pulse racing, page turning wonder that's as riveting as it is captivating. Congrats my friends you've found it. All the drama, pain, suf
Nay Denise
Mar 20, 2019 rated it really liked it

The characters were all amazing. The scriptures quoted were beautifully woven into the story. The political drama and the way God and Christ were told were all done right.

Elantia was a brave girl. Quin was a strong m
Nay Denise
Mar 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: biblical-fiction
Took me almost a month to complete, but I loved it. I'm giving this a really high 4☆ rating. As a biblically sound novel it's a 5☆ but as a fictional novel that last few chapters felt rushed. This was my first read of Carole Towriss and I was pleasantly happy. I enjoyed the reading experience and definitely want a physical copy of it.

Nancy Ale
Jan 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Elantia (Tia) has her life changed drastically when her parents are murdered and she is captured by Roman slave traders. Her ability to “see the future” makes her valuable to her owners. Paul, visiting Philippi, sees her telling fortunes and cast out the evil spirit. This puts Tia’s life in danger as she can no longer earn money for her owners. She runs away and is welcomed into the home of Christians. Tia meets Quin, a retired Roman soldier, and they both learn about our Savior from Paul, Silas ...more
Emock
Feb 03, 2019 rated it liked it
What a neat perspective to investigate the prophetic woman Paul encounters in Philippi, as well as the guard who was saved in the jail.
The story started off very solid and I enjoyed glimpses of Roman culture. I appreciated that so often we romanticize the Romans, but that this book also depicts that life back then was also cruel, political, and had plenty of hardship.
I'm a girl for romance, so of course I looked forward to seeing how things would develop. Unfortunately, the romance seemed like
Audrey
Dec 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I knew as soon I started reading this that I wasn't going to be disappointed. This is a delightful story of Tia, a slave girl originally from Brittania. She was purchased in Philippi to tell fortunes. One day Paulos and Silas cast the evil spirit out of her. When Tia's owners find out they are infuriated and have Paulos and Silas and cast into jail. Quintus, the jailer is in despair when an earthquake struck and is worried that the prisoners may have escaped which would have cost him his own lif ...more
Steve Wegman
Aug 03, 2020 rated it it was ok
Historical novel based on the story of the slave girl who Paul released a demon from and the jailer in Philippi. I love the idea of taking these characters that we know only a little about and building a story around them. I thought the author did a good job of creating the feel of the first century Roman world. But, her writing! The dialogue is strained and unrealistic. Her characters are pure good or pure bad. She tries to write in suspense when we know from the first words what the result wil ...more
Brenda
Jan 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is Biblical Fiction and it’s a great one. A very emotional story that will have you on the edge of your seat sometimes. Even though I have read the Bible story, the author makes this story come alive. Heartbreaking in places but the twist and turns of the story will keep you reading late into the night if you start this story in the evening. This is my first book by this author but I definitely want to read more.
I received this book from the author but was not required to write a positive
Christie
Apr 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: biblical-fiction
Another Biblical fiction story set in the New Testiment. I haven't read Acts so I wasn't aware of the mention of a slave girl who was a seer. If I had read it, I don't think I would have thought much of it but this story gives everyone in the Bible thoughts and feelings that I otherwise wouldn't think about. This is what I love about Biblical fication. I learn so much from these types of books. I love that Carole starts each chapter with a verse from the Bible that relates to the story. Really h ...more
Christine Dillon
Aug 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
First thing - I loved the title! 5 star.
This was an interesting story and I loved the insights into what slavery meant in the day to day. Also enjoyed seeing Paul, Luke, Silas and Timothy on their everyday journeys.
The work/job of the lady who followed Paul around saying 'These men are servants of the Highest god," was well handled.
I felt that the Philippian jailer was stretched a little (being unmarried when scripture fairly clearly suggests he was married with a family) but his struggles to
Amy
Dec 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
Sold Into Freedom is the first book from Carole Towriss's Planting Faith series. It is, also, my first introduction to her work. I thought the story was well written and really good. I would love to find out what happens next in the series. I give this one four and a half stars.
I received this book from the publisher, but was not required to write a review. This review is 100% my own honest opinion.
Sandy
Jan 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This Christian story is written so beautifully you will believe you are there and experiencing all that the characters are. It is well research and the author has done an excellent job bringing together a work of fiction and bible scriptures. Forgiveness is the theme for destruction, murder, and for being held as a slave. This is a book that I highly recommend. I did receive a free copy of this book and voluntarily chose to review it.
Vickie Fisher
Jul 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I have always been a fan of Biblical fiction, because it makes you wonder about those who are touched by the grace of God in ways you wouldn’t think. Like a slave girl and a jailer, both are mentioned briefly in Acts, but Carole Towriss brings them into a whole new light. Sold Into Freedom, is emotional, as well as inspiring. I finished reading it, and rushed to read all about Paul's visit to Philippi. It is a book worth reading.
Karen Johnson
Aug 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Great story on many levels.

Carole Towriss wrote yet another well researched and deep novel based off of scripture. With this novel, it is mostly based off of Acts. The theme of Sold into Freedom is how freeing a relationship with God can be, through accepting Christ and becoming a Christian, no matter your station in life, along with how forgiveness can free a person. I look forward to reading even more of Carole's work.
Reba
Jan 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
Inspiring

The story of Paul and Silas in Phillipia, their imprisonment, their release from their chains in prison, and the belief of the leader of the guard...and so much more. The tale is woven smartly. Quite entertaining with the exception of errors in the writing, ie., wrong words, missing words, etc.
Wendy Park
Oct 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is now my second favorite Biblical Fiction book on the church of Philippi. The novel tells the story of the slave girl who could tell the future and the jail keeper. Interwoven in the story are the various Biblical characters and how the church was built in those early days. Also included was political intrigue by the government of the city. Overall, a well done work.
Tanya
May 25, 2020 rated it it was amazing
She was taught from an early age to her the goddess voice when she is sold as a slave. All she wants is to get back home. He is a prison guard who was tricked into taking the job. Soon his friends and himself are in danger when she is about. What is going on? Will she get home? See how they all get on

D'anah
Jan 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Good

Love her work. She does it do well, you feel like you are right there, living it. The characters, the situations, the interactions - all seem so real. And always a great and encouraging ending. Well done, again.

• Faithful Daughter of Israel
  • Shelter of the Most High (Cities of Refuge, #2)
  • Building Benjamin: Naomi's Journey (Tribes of Israel)
  • Providence: Hannah's Journey
  • Egypt's Sister: A Novel of Cleopatra (The Silent Years, #1)
  • Jerusalem Rising: Adah's Journey (Tribes of Israel)
  • Like Flames in the Night (Cities of Refuge, #4)
  • A Light on the Hill (Cities of Refuge, #1)
  • Jerusalem's Queen: A Novel of Salome Alexandra (The Silent Years, #3)
  • In the Shadow of the Queen
  • Judah's Wife: A Novel of the Maccabees (The Silent Years #2)
  • Until the Mountains Fall (Cities of Refuge, #3)
  • Lioness: Mahlah's Journey (Daughters of Zelophehad #1)
  • Harvest of Gold (Harvest of Rubies, #2)
  • Claiming Canaan: Milcah's Journey (The Daughters of Zelophehad, #3)
  • Of Fire and Lions (Prophets and Kings, #2)
  • Woman of Flames
Carole Towriss and her husband live just north of Washington, DC. In between making tacos and telling her four children to pick up their shoes for the third time, she writes, watches chick flicks, and waits for summertime to return to the beach.

News & Interviews