Start by marking “The Gift” as Want to Read:
The Gift

The Gift

3.69  ·  Rating details ·  21,708 ratings  ·  1,561 reviews
Step into the magical world of Cecelia Ahern.

If you could wish for one gift this Christmas, what would it be?

Everyday Lou Suffern battled with the clock. He always had two places to be at the same time. He always had two things to do at once. When asleep he dreamed. In between dreams, he ran through the events of the day while making plans for the next. When at home with h
Published August 20th 2009 by HarperCollins (first published 2008)

To ask other readers questions about The Gift, please sign up.
Desiree Streib I wondered the same thing, but he was the one who delivered the news to Ruth and the family after the accident. Wouldn't Ruth know him? If not, then…moreI wondered the same thing, but he was the one who delivered the news to Ruth and the family after the accident. Wouldn't Ruth know him? If not, then Ahern left us with a whole bunch of unanswered (and unnecessary) questions. I personally think it's just someone else in the same area but agree that it's a little confusing.
(less)
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Sheila
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

·  21,708 ratings  ·  1,561 reviews

Fatema Meamari
Jul 31, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Fatema by: Ghaida Abdul Rahman
Cecelia Ahern is a very clever, creative writer. I really admire her work. It's pretty awesome. When you look at her covers, you don't expect much (At least that's how it was with me). You expect just another romantic comedy with all the gooey, cheesy, lovey-dovey romantic parts. Trust me, that is FAR from the case.
Her books are wonderful. They deal with serious issues and serious problems. Real-life, every day shit. She also throws in a little bit of magic and intrigue. Her books have this cre
Jo
Dec 06, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: inspirational
I actually received this book as a gift last Xmas, but, it isn't the sort of book that I'd go and purchase myself, so I suppose I've been putting it off. I have seen Cecelia Ahern's works in the bookshops, but never, until now, read one of her works.
I was pleasantly surprised by how much I enjoyed it. It certainly wasn't amazing or anything, but it is evident that Ahern is a wonderfully creative writer, and instead of some cheesy romance like I was expecting, there were some real life issues in
Ashton Jade Gibbs

The Gift – Cecelia Ahern

Admittedly, I, like so many others before me, seem to associate Cecelia Ahern with lovely, girly books, especially with the gorgeous covers her books always have. This is far from the case. Her books are incredibly touching, the writing is clever and this book in particular is a fabulous example of how her books can be moralistic with a magical touch.

The Gift centres on the story of Lou Suffern, as told through the eyes of someone else. Lou is your stereotypical over-wo
Cecelia Ahern's The Gift is a lovely addition to holiday fiction. It leaves readers with a beautiful message about how precious and impactful the gift of time is. Not just time on this earth, but the time you purposefully set aside for those who give your life quality and purpose. Nurture those relationships before you lose them. The Gift is worth the read. Check it out!

My favorite quote:
Sara
This book is for you if:
you are in the mood for a good old Christmas-ly cry
you feel introspective and open to reflect on the sense of life
you want to reconnect with family values
you want something that will remind you what are the important things in life
This book is NOT for you if:
you need something easy-breezy with no drama
you DO NOT want to cry
you're looking for more of a happily ever after novel
you are looking for a girl-meets-boy novel

I enjoyed this book, it reduced me into tears, I was o
Λίνα Θωμάρεη
Τα βιβλία της Ahern είναι ελπιδοφόρα βιβλία. Είναι βιβλία που μέσα τους κρύβουν μαθήματα ζωής και αλήθειες πασπαλισμένες με δόσεις φαντασίας και μαγείας. Είναι βιβλία που άλλοτε είναι χαρούμενα, άλλοτε νοσταλγικά, άλλοτε θλιμμένα.
Αυτό το βιβλίο είναι όλα αυτά που ανάφερα πιο πάνω.

Η Ahern σε αυτό το βιβλίο μας γνωρίζει τον Λου. Έναν άντρα που δουλεύει 30 ώρες το 24ωρο, που θέλει να πάει όσο πιο μπροστά γίνεται. Που έχει χάσει λίγο-πολύ την μπάλα. Ξενύχτια, συσκέψεις, ραντεβού (τόσο επαγγελματικά
Anna
Oct 20, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: romantic
I found that book today on a bookself and it reminded me of some great time I had during reading it...

Lou is the main character, who is an arrogant and busy 24/7 man. He is not happy with his life, he always wants more, he tries to do more, but actually he forgets what he already has.... especially his family: his wife Ruth and their two young children. Especially his one year old son is crying when he approaches, not recognizing any familiarity with his father.

Life goes on, until one day, befo
Cri (PaperbacksandPizza)
English/Italiano

First of all, I have to say I am not a native english speaker so, please, I prefer to not be attacked, if I made any mistakes. Instead of do that, it would be nice if you corrected me, thank you :)

“Time is more precious than gold, more precious than diamonds, more precious than oil or any valuable treasures. It is time that we do not have enough of; it is time that causes the war within our hearts, and so we must spend it wisely.”

Here we go again with another Cecelia Ahern bo

Mochizuki
Dec 06, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
After reading Cecelia Ahern's novels 'Book of Tomorrow' and 'P.S I Love You', I was looking forward to reading another. Her books are so easy to read and leave you feeling really uplifted and The Gift definitely does that.
I was a little dubious about reading a Christmas novel in July but towards the end I really got into the festive spirit! An utterly fantastic book that gives out a fabulous message about the gift of time which really made me think as I turned each page. The descriptive writing
Julie
Oct 14, 2011 rated it did not like it
I wanted something easy to read on public transport and this certainly ticked that box. I finished it before even adding it to my 'currently reading' on this site!

The protagonist is fallible, something I always think makes a book interesting, and all the characters are somewhat believable, but it was very hard to find anything warm or likeable in them. The people and the settings made me feel uncomfortable somehow. Perhaps they was supposed to.

I suppose it's easy to be cynical about the characte
Labijose
Mar 15, 2018 rated it liked it
Cuento de navidad, con su mensaje moral, muy al estilo de la autora, lo cual salva al relato de ser descartado por completo.
Nos encontramos con Lou Suffern, una especie de Don Draper (Mad Men en TV), que vive por y para el trabajo, dejando sus obligaciones familiares de lado, …… hasta que un día encuentra a un vagabundo por la calle, y tras una breve charla decide ofrecerle un puesto de trabajo en su empresa.
Lo que sigue es más o menos como os podéis imaginar. Gabe, el vagabundo, le hará compren
Liberty K
Jul 08, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
This book guys, THIS BOOK hit me right in the feels! It deserves one thousand stars not only five!
This book was everything I wanted and I didn't even know. It was the perfect holiday Christmassy read but at the same time not cheesy with the happily ever after effect but very helpful to understand that time with the loved ones is the only gift anyone ever have in life!
Colleen Scidmore
Actual rating 3.50-3.75 stars

This book was so much better than I had anticipated. I have read one other book by Cecelia Ahern just a couple of months ago and I was pretty disappointed. So when starting this book I was expecting the same kind of outcome. But I was pleasantly surprised.
This book was pretty well written.
I loved the beginning how it starts off on one story that I thought the book was about but ends up being taking you down a whole different route.

I really hated Lou in the beginnin
Marjolein
Actual rating: 3.5 stars

THANKS FOR MAKING ME CRY, CECELIA!

Damn. This book was not what I expected at all. It's not a happy-go-lucky, fluffy, romantic Christmas book. It's almost the opposite. It's basically heartbreaking. Throughout the entire book I couldn't stand main character Lou and the choices he made at first, but at the same time I was hoping he would change. For the sake of his wife, his children, his parents and his brother and sister. And when I started liking him near the end of the
Iris Blobel
Aug 27, 2010 rated it really liked it
A must read for Cecelia Ahern Fans!

I loved the book because after I had read the previous few books, I fell in love with Cecelia's stories yet again.

It's a common story: a busy husband and father, with a big career, wants everything, yet bigger and better, and not getting his priorities right. His family and health are suffering. Lou at some stage lost the ability to live until he meets Gabriel, or Gabe, a man living on the streets. After this his life changes forever....

Cecilia Ahern always add
Adela Cacovean
Am cumpărat această carte în momentul în care a apărut în librării, însă din diverse motive, m-am apucat tot de altele şi am reuşit să o citesc în vacanţa intersemestrială. Din motive de timp, sau mai exact lipsa lui, scriu doar acum despre ea.

În ziua de Crăciun, sergentul Raphael O’Reilly şi Jessica Rabbit sunt de serviciu. La secţie este adus un adolescent, care aruncase un curcan îngheţat prin fereastra tatălui său, aproape rănind-o pe sora lui vitregă, pe motiv că tatăl său anulase cina cu e
Nicolette
Dec 05, 2010 rated it liked it
THE GIFT
By Cecelia Ahern
(HarperCollins)

THIS book caught my eye with its silver wrapping-paper effect hardcover of shiny snowflakes and bright red ribbon tied in a bow to look like the perfect gift.

This touching novel focuses on a man who comes to realise that some parts of his life can only bring him to ruin.

Businessman Lou Suffern always has to be in two places at the same time. He catches the beginning of one meeting or function so that he can be there at the end of another.

His womanising and
Marina
Aug 15, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
Boooring.
Nicka (Read by Nicka)
May 19, 2015 rated it it was amazing
"Time is more precious than gold, more precious than diamonds, more precious than oil or any valuable treasures. It is time that we do not have enough of; it is time that causes the war within our hearts, and so we must spend it wisely.

Time cannot be packaged and ribboned and left under trees for Christmas morning.

Time can't be given. But it can be shared."

Yet again another beautifully crafted novel by my favorite author Cecelia Ahern!

The Gift follows the story or should I say stories of a very
Adam
Aug 24, 2010 rated it did not like it
Shelves: audiobooks-a-z
Jenny
Nov 19, 2009 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ireland, holiday
On the back of this book it says "An instant holiday classic" so you think you'll be in for a nice and cozy type of read. Heck no! I mean I would say 95% of the book is great but as soon as you realize how it's going to end you're like "WTF?" I stayed up late finishing it b/c I kept thinking there is no way it's going to end like I think it is but it did. Yes, the overall message is great but the outcome of this particular story is not something you want on your mind as you're trying to fall asl ...more
Isaura Pereira
Decidi começar o mês de leituras natalícias por este livro. Um livro um pouco mais espiritual do que estou habituada. Mas esta é a altura do ano em que gosto de ler este tipo de livros.

Confesso que o início foi um pouco confuso. Senti-me um pouco perdida e não estava a "entrar" na história e não sentia qualquer ligação com as personagens. Só mais para o final (e este é um livro relativamente pequeno) é que sento uma súbita ligação com esta história.

Um livro com elementos espirituais que nos faz
Kimberley
Jul 21, 2017 rated it did not like it
I was just disappointed with this book, I thought it was going to be a nice happy read but I just hated the main character and I just couldn't wait for the book be over. I don't think I've ever felt so much hatred towards a character but his personality and actions really ruined the book for me and I just didn't care whether or not he would end up choosing his family because they clearly didn't deserve him.

Read more on my blog at: https://bookgeek2015.wordpress.com/
Christine (KizzieReads)
Wow!! I didn't think I would get all the feels with this book, but I did. It really makes you take a step back and look at your life, and how time and one simple action can change your life and the lives around you so very drastically.
Petra
Dec 24, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This book is pure magic, just what I needed
Ann
Dec 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A wonderful, imaginative story! I was reminded a little bit of both A Christmas Carol and It’s a Wonderful Life (although Scrooge at his worst was more likable than Lou throughout most of the book). It’s a tearjerker.
Nhi Nguyễn
Mar 08, 2013 rated it liked it
After reading another great novel from Cecelia Ahern, How to Fall in Love, I checked back all the novels written by her that I have read, and figured out that I previously gave this book 2 stars. Only 2 stars for a Cecelia Ahern novel!!! Like WTF???? So I immediately set out to reread this book, trying my best to see why I judged this book that harshly before. And after reading it once again, I kinda understand why this 2-star thing happened. It was simply because this book, despite how appealin ...more
Ruzaika
Nov 15, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

Another version of this review can be found on http://reading-is-dreaming-with-open-...

“One thing of great importance can affect a small number of people. Equally so, a thing of little importance can affect a multitude. Either way, a happening big or small can affect an entire string of people.”

Before I start my review I simply have to tell you this: Cecelia Ahern is an extremely brilliant writer. I've read one book by her before this- If You Could See Me Now and I liked it a lot, but it was som
Stephanie (Stepping out of the Page)
I'll admit that I found Cecelia Ahern to be a better writer than I assumed that she would be. I've not read any of her other books before and from the genre she's known for, chick-lit, I was simply expecting something simple and fun. This book dealt with some every day problems and issues and it was trying to teach us something. The story is set in modern day Dublin, nearing Christmas, and the story is well set with clear, visible descriptions.
In this book, Ahern is trying to tell a story about
Melissa
Aug 23, 2011 rated it it was ok
Shelves: fiction
What do you get when you combine George Bailey, Ebenezer Scrooge, and Don Draper?

You get Lou Suffern.

Lou's the main character in this Christmas-novel-with-a-timeless-message by Irish author Cecelia Ahern, whose books I tend to enjoy. (See my review of There's No Place Like Here.) I'm usually not a Christmas book reader, but I was in the mood for such a novel this past week. When I saw this on display at the library, I grabbed it because Ahern's novels tend to be light reads (guilty pleasures,
Are You Serious About Being A Christian? 1 1 Mar 03, 2019 06:45AM
List of Toys and Gifts to give to a 10-year old boy 1 1 Mar 02, 2019 09:57AM
Custom Pillow Case 1 2 Nov 27, 2018 08:00PM
South African Boo...: The Gift (No Spoilers) 1 1 Nov 23, 2018 04:42AM
South African Boo...: The Gift (Spoilers) 1 2 Nov 23, 2018 04:41AM
The Art of Picking the Right Gift For Him or Her 1 1 Oct 14, 2018 10:43PM
The value of Corporate Gift Supplying 1 2 Sep 17, 2018 06:03AM
  • Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (Harry Potter, #7)
  • Miracle on Regent Street
  • Before I Forget
  • What She Wants
  • Winter Wonderland (LoveTravel #10)
  • Late Night Shopping (Annie Valentine, #2)
  • Two For Joy
  • All I Want for Christmas
  • Finding Father Christmas (Father Christmas, #1)
  • Personally, I Blame My Fairy Godmother
  • Bad Behaviour
  • The Red Suit Diaries: A Real-Life Santa on Hopes, Dreams, and Childlike Faith
  • Still Thinking Of You
  • Wish Upon a Star
Cecelia Ahern was born and grew up in Dublin. She is now published in nearly fifty countries, and has sold over twenty-five million copies of her novels worldwide. Two of her books have been adapted as films and she has created several TV series.
“Time cant be given. But it can be shared.” 241 likes
“There was a magic about the sea. People were drawn to it. People wanted to love by it, swim in it, play in it, look at it. It was a living thing that as as unpredictable as a great stage actor: it could be calm and welcoming, opening its arms to embrace it's audience one moment, but then could explode with its stormy tempers, flinging people around, wanting them out, attacking coastlines, breaking down islands. It had a playful side too, as it enjoyed the crowd, tossed the children about, knocked lilos over, tipped over windsurfers, occasionally gave sailors helping hands; all done with a secret little chuckle” 209 likes