Start by marking “A World Apart (Loving Again #1)” as Want to Read:
A World Apart (Loving Again #1)

A World Apart

(Loving Again #1)

This book is an updated re-release.

Ben’s life appears perfect. He has a career to shine in and a beautiful family. But his marriage has broken down, and being a small-town cop is turning into a dead-end job.

Hot-headed troublemaker Donnie is used to being side-eyed by the fuzz. Getting dragged into the station for a crime he didn’t commit is no big surprise – but a cop who
Published January 25th 2019 (first published September 18th 2017)

To ask other readers questions about A World Apart, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A World Apart

Heather K (dentist in my spare time)
A World Apart is the first book from newbie author Mel Gough, and I wish I had more positive things to say about the story. But, honestly, it was awkward-city for me.

I was interested in the book from the blurb, but things went sideways pretty early on. While it never dove into the realm of the truly bad, it had a ton of issues that really irked me.

I didn't like the switches from present tense to past tense throughout the story. Really? Those italicized sections with the tense switches were dis
MouthLeaf
Sep 18, 2017 marked it as didnt-finish  ·  review of another edition
I can't even... I'm pissed (in American English)...
I know this is a first time author and all, but I just don't get what makes someone think to themselves:
'I'm a German woman living in London, let me set my story in Georgia complete with faux southern accented dialogue and British colloquialisms!'
I mean, the dialogue is full of Y'ALLs and THEM THEREs and WANKERS and POOFS. It hurts my brain. Why didn't a proofreader stop her right there?
There's no curse word more British than 'wanker.' One fav
Jason Bradley
Aug 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: edb, ebook, m-m
Unique characters, so many feels.
Truuss / Loveislovereview
2.5 - 3 stars When Ben sees Donnie for the first time he looks into indigo blue eyes which are speaking for him, afraid, hurt, but with kindness, only Donny is handcuffed and is at Ben's work....the police station. Ben's friend and colleague Jason, already convinced that Donnie is guilty.
After some phone calls Donnie is free to go home....home not really home.....
Both men couldn't get the other out of their head.

They meet again under whole other circumstances....at the AA.
After that this story w
NeRdyWYRM
Bollocks!

I find myself at a complete loss for words. I know, right? Pretty unusual for my mouthy self. Gimme a minute ... okay. I got this.

So I'll preface this by saying I have no problem whatsoever with the themes, tropes, etc. in this title. The hurt/comfort is strong with this one. There is also a medical aspect, a dissolving hetero marriage, bisexuality, uniforms, opposites attract, physical abuse, addiction and alcoholism, an adolescent child in the mix, and more. Now that I've listed it al
J.P. Jackson
4.5 stars.

I loved this story. Why? Because it made me think about people in my life I haven't thought about in a long time. In other words - it was relatable. It was real (to me), it resonated and yes, dammit, I was tearing up on the train ride home.

I can't say too much because I think it will spoil other people's experience with this book, but I will say this: I have friends who constantly validate Donnie's reactions and feelings and experiences.

I have been Ben. Ugh, so many feels - congrats t
Debra
Originally reviewed at Sinfully.

Ben is a cop in a small town in Georgia. He has quickly climbed as high as he can in the Department, and this focus on work is probably a contributing factor to his marriage dissolving. He works with his best friend, Jason who has brought in a suspect in a hit and run and is not really giving the man a fair shake. Ben intervenes as the “good cop” and finds there is something about Donnie Saunders that intrigues him. Another chance meeting in an unexpected place ha
Emmalynn Spark
Aug 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, mm-romance
I received this advanced review copy in exchange for an honest review.

A world apart is the story of Ben, a police officer, and Donnie, a guy from the wrong side of the track, down on his luck. This book has strong hurt/comfort elements, with Ben supporting Donnie through an illness and Donnie, in return, able to offer Ben support through his divorce.

I can genuinely say this book has earned its 5 stars. Mel Gough is an accomplished story teller and it was easy to become heavily invested in her
Truuss / Loveislovereview
Jan 13, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: m-m, 2019
To my own surprise I saw i already reviewed this one... this one I got from the author instead of the publisher...
After some phone calls Donnie is free to go home....home not really home.....
Both men couldn't get the other ou
Coco.V
Apr 25, 2019 marked it as to-read
Shelves: freebie
🎁 FREE on Amazon today (4/25/2019)! 🎁
.Lili.
DNF

I couldn't get into it. I'm not a fan of flashbacks, unnecessary plot components, and the insta-love was the nail in the coffin.

I think others will enjoy it though.

No rating.
E.M. Hamill
Sep 12, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
***1/2 rounded up to ****
I received an ARC in exchange for an honest review.

I’ll issue my usual disclaimer: please don’t take my hot-and-cold views of romance stories as gospel. This is a good, quick read and enjoyable for any M/M romance fans out there.

A World Apart is a love story about Ben, a cop whose marriage is disintegrating after years of indifference, and Donnie, a recovering addict.

I’ve said before that I’m extremely picky about romances—my primary reading genres are science fiction
Ezinwanyi
I would describe reading this book as getting into a vehicle where the author took me on a high-speed car chase where I was hoping it would end well but my heart was in my stomach a lot.

It started with a very dramatic courtroom scene. The entire book, I kept waiting for the courtroom scene to tie in, but it didn’t really impact the story as I thought it would. There was such potential but it wasn’t realized here as there was no real foundation laid for this romance nor real chemistry amongst th
Matt Doyle
Sep 15, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: lgbt
***ARC given in exchange for an honest review***

Background: German born Mel Gough currently lives in London, England. She has been an avid reader form a young age and A World Apart (released September 18th 2017) is her debut novel.
The book is a M/M contemporary romance that follows bisexual cop Ben Griers as he deals with both the breakdown of his marriage and his growing attraction to a redneck named Donnie Saunders. The book comes with a content warning due to the mention of childhood abuse an
Pianka *call me PIU*

‘A World Apart’ by Mel Gough is my first read from this author. It is emotional, draw at your heart-strings type of love story which is not at all conventional. The MCs meet when they are both very down in their lives and find a connection which was pure and beautiful in so many ways.

Ben is going through a rough time in his marriage. The life he has created with his family is falling apart around him and he cannot do anything to stop it, as he knows deep down that it is for the best. Wh
Tracy~Bayou Book Junkie

4.5 Stars

Wow, this was an emotional rollercoaster. My heart went out to Donnie. He's been through so much in the past and still faces so many obstacles throughout this story. It's like every time he gets up someone slaps him in the face and pushes him back down again. I loved that Ben was an unwavering support for Donnie throughout, never giving up or walking away from him, yet instinctively knowing when to take a step back and let Donnie have some breathing room.

I loved both Donnie and Ben, th
Cee Brown
•*)✯ .•*)
✮ (.•"Dunno 'bout you, but I got no control over who I fall in love with." ~Ben

Given the opportunity to read an author's work should be daunting, to both the author and the reader. The author does not know how their hard work will be received, and it is the reader who has the means to make or break someone's career. Not a pretty thought, but it hit me when I opened the pages of this book not knowing what to expect, but knowing the works of this author.

Never cheating, as the relationshi
Georgie
Sep 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A World Apart is an incredibly emotive character driven story. I loved how Gough gave the characters depth that reflected through their actions and decisions. Ben, Donnie and even Helen felt like real people.

The relationship between Ben and Donnie was sweet. It did feel like it progressed quite quickly but it wasn't unrealistic. The fear and anxieties they both had were understandable and their journey to overcome them was touching.

The story touched on a number of heavy issues but they were wr
Barbara Ingram
Jan 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
⭐💫⭐💫4 Intense and Emotional Stars⭐💫⭐💫

This story was intense and emotional and I thought the author wrote it very well. I connected with the characters and the storyline kept me turning the pages. This is an opposites attract and has a straight to gay theme, but the writer made it believable. It does deal with the subject of addiction, so that may be a trigger, but it was handled with compassion. I will be looking for more from this promising author!
James Escol
What I liked:

> First chapter - this book started on a really promising note.
> Arthur's scenes - this character showed the most real emotions that's why I've really connected to him.
> Ben & Laura's talk - Laura's reaction there was unconventional & I loved it a lot. <3

What I didn't like:

> Over 50+ times excessive use of the word "buddy". It really killed the chemistry between Donnie & Ben. (at least, in my opinion.)
> Insta-love. Like super insta-love. They barely had
Abhi
Sep 23, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
it's a sweet story but the insta-love didn't do well for me. and usually I eat that crap up.
Jenny Wood
Jan 25, 2019 rated it liked it
Mmmkay, so, this is the first I’ve read of this author, and the blurb had me intrigued. I’ve got a thing for cops and dads, so this one seemed right up my alley, right?

Let’s discus…. Ben is a cop who made his career his life, much to the dismay of his wife, who got tired of seemingly being a single parent. I mean, she might as well have been, right? We don’t learn of his wife and kid right away, they aren’t even mentioned until well after he meets Donnie at the station after being arrested for s
Natosha Wilson
Sep 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This truly was a heartbreaking read for so many different reasons. Reasons that I do not want to give away so I am going to leave this review short and sweet. As far as how much I enjoyed it, I can say that I truly did but it did break my heart and make me cry a few times.

Ben is a police officer and his best friend Jason is his partner. They do not always see eye to eye on everything but they have each other's backs or at least they do until a guy Jason picked up and brought in for questioning t
Terri
Jan 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
I've read through some of the older reviews of this book, which listed issues that I didn't see in the version I read. The British sayings and overuse of "buddy" weren't here. Nothing distracted me from the fact that this was a very complicated and sad story.
Ben was dealing with the end of his marriage when he met Donnie, and Donnie was coping with an incredibly sad life. Both men were lonely and in need of someone who cared. They became that for each other, and I was happy about that. I found
Maria Vickers
Jan 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
A World Apart by Mel Gough is an emotionally charged read about a police sergeant who meets the man who turns out to be the man of his dreams in the most unlikeliest of places. Ben and Donnie for all intents and purposes are opposites, but they fit and find each other at a time when they need each other most.

I enjoyed this story and the writing, the characters were interesting and well thought out, however, there were some issues. I loved the chemistry between Ben and Donnie, but there were tim
Kathryn Manzella
Dec 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Ben is a police officer whose picture perfect life is going nowhere good. A marriage that is falling apart - fears of losing his child when his wife needs to put distance between them. And his job feels like a dead end. Then he meets Donnie.

Donnie is a rabble-rouser used to being in the sights of the law. But he isn't used to the hot cop who seems to care about getting to the real truth. Meeting again at an AA meeting leads to a life changing connection. But life is complicated, even with an ins
R
Jan 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: abuse, reviewed, m-m
Donnie has had a crap life. It actually gets better when he’s arrested. He meets Ben, the cop. A caring, sympathetic man. The next time they meet is by accident at an AA meeting. As they tentatively begin a friendship, Ben is dealing with the demise of his marriage. The revelations about Donnie’s life scare Ben, but not enough to stop seeing him. When Donnie health is seriously compromised, Ben is with him every step of the way.

Sad story about the horrors of addiction and the good things that ca
Dixiecowgirl
Jan 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
Intense, gritty, emotional journey to learning to live and love. This story is about learning to love and accept accept yourself. To appreciate the talents we have. This story dealt with some very sensitive and heavy issues and shows how love and kindness can get us through so much.

i really loved some of the supporting characters like Ben's ex-wife and Donnie's NA sponsor. There were horrible people also and some very sad moments. i know i cried in this story.

Donnie and Ben have an amazing con
Nichole
Jan 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
This was a slow burn with a sweet end. This story is about chance encounter between two very troubled characters. Ben is a cop who is struggling with failing marriage and an addicition problem. Donnie is a boy from the wrong side of the tracks who has his own issues to deal with. Sometimes you have to accept what life gives you if you want to make things happen. You go with the punches but grab onto happiness when it comes your way. You make lemonade out of the lemons you are given. Ben and Donn ...more
Ruth Evans
Dec 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
A good book to read. The reader gets to build the characters as secrets are revealed.
Donnie and Ben meet under less than a great situation but what comes through for Donnie is how nice Ben is to him. Donnie has lived his whole life mostly without that kindness and definitely never from a stranger. When he meets Ben again he doesn't want to get to close but he can't hide. Donnie slowly realises he doesn't have to do them alone.
Ben's life is coming apart and he turns to the one thing he knows will
« previous 1 3 next »

• Cathedral of the Sky (Pact Arcanum, #1.5)
  • To the Highest Bidder (A Planet Called Wish, #1)
  • Angel 1089 (Heaven Corp., #1)
  • Warlock in Training (Studies in Demonology, #1)
  • Camwolf
  • Game On, Game Over
  • Stone Heart
  • Unicorns and Rainbow Poop (Vocal Growth #2)
  • Y Negative
  • Last Chance Charlie
  • Turning His Life Around
  • Ghost Wife: A Memoir of Love and Defiance
  • Liar, Liar
  • Until I Found You
  • Underhill: A Halloween Story (Tyack & Frayne #8)
  • Sweet Giordan, Please Remember (Hearts in Reverie #1)
  • Colum's Viking Captivity (Colum's Viking Captivity, #1)
  • West Salem
Mel was born in Germany, where she spent the first twenty-six years of her life (with a one-year stint in Los Angeles). She has always been fascinated by cultures and human interaction, and got a Masters in Social Anthropology. After finishing university she moved to London, where she has now lived for ten years.

If you were to ask her parents what Mel enjoyed the most since the age of six, they wo

Loving Again (3 books)
  • A New Life (Loving Again #2)
  • A Broken Promise (Loving Again #3)