Start by marking “A Study in Velvet and Leather” as Want to Read:
A Study in Velvet and Leather

A Study in Velvet and Leather

Sharing a flat with Sherlock Holmes should not have posed a problem for John Watson--after all, Watson is gay, Holmes is a woman, and the arrangement is financially convenient. But when Holmes takes a complex case involving Irene Adler and a scandalous photograph, she turns to Watson for assistance. The case leads them everywhere from the opera to a secret Victorian BDSM c ...more
Published November 16th 2018 by Clan Destine Press

To ask other readers questions about A Study in Velvet and Leather, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Study in Velvet and Leather

Start your review of A Study in Velvet and Leather
Narrelle
Nov 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: detective, queer
The second volume in Improbable Press's 221b Series (the first was my own A Dream to Build A Kiss On) is the splended A Study in Velvet and Leather, due for release on 1 December 2018. An advance review copy was coaxed into my greedy little fingers, though, and promptly gobbled up.

K. Caine may have written a female Sherlock and male John in a canon-era setting, but her tale departs wonderfully far from a traditional telling of thie enduring pair.

John Watson, invalided war doctor, is gay. It's a
Sarah Tollok
Apr 09, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I was never one to go for a gender-swapped Sherlock Holmes. I took a chance on this read because it was so very kindly gifted to me by the publisher. In short order, a Victorian era, trousers-wearing, female Sherlock Holmes won me over, just as she did John Watson. Looking back, I don't know why I didn't realize earlier how well the non-socially-conforming character of Sherlock Holmes would work so well as a woman who would challenge the stereotypes of her time.

I also appreciated out how Sherlo
Banana
Nov 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
This novella was a delight!

I've never read a female Sherlock before, but I enjoyed it. She's just as charismatic and quixotic as Sherlock ever is. I can understand what John sees in her.

John is our narrator, enchanted by Sherlock in a way he can hardly string words together to describe. The moments where his fascination with her reveals itself to him are the best moments of the story.

Neither of them are very protective of any type of homo identity, so the fact that both of them are same-sex-pre
Sara Bauer
Dec 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
Wow, such an interesting take on the Sherlock/Watson relationship. I loved the way Sherlock was drawn here as a beautiful, brilliant, charismatic woman while John is curious, kind, and adoring. Watching their dynamic alter and develop was lovely, and the writing style is yummy enough to eat. Lucious descriptions and well-drawn characters made this a real treat!!
Rohase Piercy
Feb 09, 2019 rated it liked it
Now, I'll start by admitting that I'm not a fan of a female Sherlock Holmes. It's a worryingly conservative streak I know - I guess at its base lies a fear of stepping too far away from the glorious original. A gay Watson I can of course wholeheartedly approve - but a female Holmes? However, K Caine's Sherlock - female, Victorian, cross-dressing, Sapphist (well, adaptable actually - something else I wholeheartedly approve!) - manages to stay so true to Doyle's description that I'm forced to waiv ...more
Brienne Tarth
Jan 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
First thing first: I meant to start by reading twenty pages, and 100 pages later I was defeated by the sheer fact it was 3:30 AM and I couldn't physically go on. Being a busy bee, I actually had to force myself not to read it unless I had the free time to enjoy it. This is your warning. ;D

This book will turn everything you thought you knew on its head...and make you love it. I am slightly annoyed by Elementary's swapping of John to Joan, but this Sherlock? She's amazing. I want more of her. A l
Laurie
Jan 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is a definite departure from what one usually expects of a Sherlock Holmes novel: While set firmly in the canon era, in this version of our favourite duo Watson is gay and Holmes is a woman … a woman who wears trousers, acts as she pleases and basically does not fit into the “womanly role” assigned to her gender … but a woman all the same.

Told from John’s point of view, the story tells of John’s growing fascination with his flatmate, not only her methods but her as a person. Her background
Jamie Ashbird
Jan 31, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2019
This is a fantastically wonderful telling of the introduction of one John Watson to one Sherlock Holmes, and the beginning of their lives of adventure and love. And set in the foggy Victorian era of hansom cabs.
Our narrator John Watson is a single man (who has never had an interested in women that way), moving in with Sherlock (a single woman who is a lover of Sappho’s work but has a wide literary taste).
As John tries to understand his growing feelings for Sherlock, he is drawn further into her
Claudia
Brilliant!
It is not the first time I read a Sherlock Holmes pastiche in which either or both the main characters are genderswapped, but I found this version both lovely and quite well-written. The author expertly managed the '221b' form (sections composed of 221 words, the last one always beginning with a B) and made it flow as beautifully as if she had no formal confines at all. The drawings both on the cover and introducing each chapter were quite beautiful too.
The only thing keeping me from r
Atlin Merrick
Dec 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
First disclosure: I edited this book for publication. Second disclosure: I'd love it if I didn't. Final disclosure: K. Caine presents a wonderfully canon Sherlock Holmes, from acid-stained fingers to lanky frame.

Caine also gives Holmes new grace notes, including a penchant for cross dressing (Holmes is a woman), Irene Adler, Tesla's violet ray, and BDSM. Caine's Watson is similarly traditional—and not. Soldier, doctor, wounded veteran, Watson is also gay. How these two fall in love while fighti
Dee Smethers
Feb 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Loved it. I hadn't (to my shame!) read something focused on a female incarnation of Holmes, but it worked beautifully. Caine pulls the reader into this world with ease, exploring the central relationships with deft precision.

K Caine is an author to look out for.
Coconutkiss
Apr 16, 2019
Tamara Witika
Nov 15, 2018
K. Caine
Nov 18, 2018 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
Ihmurria

• A Dream To Build A Kiss On
  • Ghost Story
  • Death Comes for the Archbishop
  • Three Halves of a Whole
  • The $64 Tomato: How One Man Nearly Lost His Sanity, Spent a Fortune, and Endured an Existential Crisis in the Quest for the Perfect Garden
  • My Ántonia (Great Plains Trilogy, #3)
  • The Faceless Old Woman Who Secretly Lives In Your Home (Welcome to Night Vale #3)
  • A Question of Time
  • I Work at a Public Library: A Collection of Crazy Stories from the Stacks
  • How to Write a Sentence: And How to Read One
  • A Pound of Paper: Confessions of a Book Addict
  • The Case of the Misplaced Models
  • Wake of Vultures (The Shadow, #1)
  • Treason of Hawks (The Shadow, #4)
  • Conspiracy of Ravens (The Shadow, #2)
  • Malice of Crows (The Shadow, #3)
  • Band Sinister
  • Escaping Solitude (Escape Trilogy #2)