Start by marking “Hellrider” as Want to Read:
Hellrider

Hellrider

After being burned alive by a gang, the Hell Riders, he used to belong to, Eddie Ryder returns as a heavy-metal spouting ghost with a temper that's worse now than when he was alive. At first he is nothing more than a floating presence, depressed he has to spend eternity watching his teenage brother, Carson, and ailing mother struggle without him. Then he develops powers. ...more
Published August 8th 2019 by Flame Tree Press

To ask other readers questions about Hellrider, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hellrider

Start your review of Hellrider
Char
Admittedly, I'm a sucker for a kick ass cover and this is definitely one of them. When I saw Mr. Faherty offering a paperback ARC of this on Twitter I jumped on the chance!

Eddie Ryder has had a rough family life. His dad is gone, his mom is dying and his smart little brother is trying to stay in school so that he can better himself. Formerly a member of the Hell Riders Motorcycle Club, but now trying to go straight and support his family, no one recognizes the changes in him-changes for the
OutlawPoet
Jul 08, 2019 rated it liked it
Oh, boy. This is one of those times when I’m not really thrilled to do the review, but there are things that need to be said.

I started this book really excited to read it. The cover (yes, I’m that person that judges a book by the cover) and the plot looked like so much fun. And the book started out that way. We had a character we really liked out there getting some otherworldly vengeance.

But it gets sour.

Part of that is done purposely by the author. That character we love changes as vengeance
Juli
Sep 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
Eddie Ryder might have been a snitch....but he didn't deserve to be burned to death by the Hell Riders. The members of the biker gang were once his friends, but now he wants to kill them all. But...being dead and all....he has to learn how to go from just floating around to handing out justice. Violent justice.

As I read this book, I could see this being a really fun, slightly cheesy, late night horror movie. I would watch it! I was even doing the casting in my head...... For Eddie, I would cast
The Tattooed Book Geek (Drew).
This review can also be found on my blog The Tattooed Book Geek: https://thetattooedbookgeek.wordpress...

Nineteen-year-old Eddie Ryder is a biker in the small Florida town of Hell Creek against the backdrop of the Everglades with a sweet custom bike named ‘Diablo’. He is also a former member of the biker gang known as the Hellriders. Eddie is trying to go straight and turn his life around. His dad left and abandoned the family a few years ago and since then, after dropping out of school Eddie
 Martin
Aug 08, 2019 rated it it was ok
2 and 1/2 stars

Didn't dig it as much that I thought I would. Fast-paced, clear narrative, nice enough rhythm but the overall delivery failed to grab me. Maybe it was the characters with whom I barely connected, or the plot which seemed to go nowhere. I wanted to be scared but I wasn't. Oh well, maybe next time. Many thanks to the publisher and Netgalley for this ARC.
Keith Chawgo
Jul 22, 2019 rated it liked it
Hellrider by J G Faherty is an interesting novel that delivers on a lot of fronts but lacks a slight bit of empathy to keep you fuller interested in the characters.

Starting out as a man who is turning his life around, he get sent down into the bowels of violence where the lead man Eddie goes on a rampage of revenge from the afterlife. This is where the story really takes off. The plot speeds along at a very quicken pace and though sometimes rhyme and reason takes a backseat, the reader is in
Jessica Belmont
Aug 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: tours-arcs
Oh, I definitely picked this book because it reminded me of Nicholas Cage and Ghost Rider. I’m a sucker for covers like this and I haven’t read a story like this in a while.

The first half of this novel is a good old tale of revenge. It’s fun, and it’s exactly what I’d hoped for when I read the Blurb. Eddie Ryder has been really wronged, and he is on a mission to cause a lot of havoc and take out the people who angered him in his life.

What irked me a bit was when things started to get a little
Vart
Jul 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Eddie Ryder is a reluctant protagonist who owns his departed father, Big Eddie’s, car garage, but it’s a burden he did not wish for. He used to be a member of a biker gang called the Hell Riders. On top of being repulsive in many ways, they’re also devoted to racism. Eddie still respects most of their code not out of choice but out of necessity and survival.

He has been in several situations that left him with very difficult choices to make, which has turned him into a cynical pessimist. He also
 Nyarlathotep Twelfth Month The Haunted Reading Room
I really anticipated this novel when I saw it available at NetGalley. In some ways I ended up liking it a lot, in other ways not so much. I found myself empathising with the eponymous character, Eddie Ryder, from the beginning, until nearly the end. He's had a rough life, bad genetics, but he does love his ailing mother (emphysema) and his younger (very intelligent) brother. He tries his best to support them and himself in a tiny little "backwater" community next to the Everglades. He's made ...more
Matt
Aug 30, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: horror-books
This is a book I'm reviewing for High Fever Books, so look there for my full review. However, I can at least give you a taste...

We don’t have enough horror novels that include heavy metal and motorcycles. In fact, I don’t know if we have that many horror novels that deal with motorcycles or heavy metal. It’s a fun pairing if you think about it. I mean, look at something like Ghostrider or The Spirit(it’s a movie, I know, but it works), both are deep in the horror vein, but they just need some
Shalini
The cover really felt like a story about a motorcycle gang, and you would be right. It was about a man Eddie Ryder who was burned alive by the gang, Hell Riders, but lo and behold, he returned as a vengeful ghost who was hot tempered all the time. His motorcycle Diablo too joined him in his crusades. And man, he scared me. He could scare the gang and possess them. There was something purely evil in him.

My first book by J. G. Faherty, initially, it was super fun to see the ghostly avatar of
Hayla
Aug 18, 2019 rated it liked it
2.5 stars rounded up.

I received this book from the publisher in return for an honest review. And to be honest, I really wish I liked it more.

I was hooked by a great cover and thoroughly enjoyed the first part of the book where the story sets itself up and you get to know the characters.

Seeing as the plot of the book is Eddie’s revenge and how that changes him, I was prepared for his change in character; where the book lost me was in the truly juvenile nature of this revenge. Furthermore, I
Steve Stred
Jul 17, 2019 rated it liked it
** Edited as review is now live on Kendall Reviews! **

I snagged Hellrider through Netgalley when it became available through Flametree Press. The cover art was intriguing and the brief synopsis sounded like a good time.

Hellrider is Eddie Ryder, a former biker-gang member who flipped on the boss to escape jail time. He now is trying to get his life in order, supporting his chronically ill mother and his younger brother, while running his dad’s repair shop. His dad took off some time ago and now
Josh Hitch
Jul 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is a revenge story with supernatural twists that I loved. By setting the story in a small town it adds that besieged aspect to the story which is just another interesting element to the plot. The main character figuring out his powers little by little grounds this tale into a greater reality, at least as much reality as a ghost riding a custom motorcycle that can possess people and effect electricity can have.

I believe the characters are well fleshed out without any cliche traits or bogging
John Lynch
2.5 stars rounded to 3 for goodreads.

A few months ago, while looking through all of the books Flametree press had up for sale on their website, I noticed Hellrider. One look at the demon on that motorcycle and I was immediately sold on this book. I wanted to love Hellrider. I NEEDED to love Hellrider. As I sit here after finishing the latest by JG Faherty, I’m disappointed to say that I had some issues with it that really prevented me from doing so.

Eddie Ryder, a former bike gang member who’s
Becca
Sep 29, 2019 rated it liked it
2.5 Rounded Up!

Thank you to Netgalley & Flame Tree Press for providing me with an e-arc of Hellrider by J.G. Faherty in exchange for an honest review!

Content Warnings: I unfortunately did not jot down all the content warnings in Hellrider, however I do know there are a few mentions of rape & very close to being rape scenes.

Hellrider starts off pretty well; we get introduced to our protagonist (err…. antagonist?) Eddie. Eddie is an ex-Hellrider who gets murdered by his former bike gang.
Sasha(SpookyxSasha)
I'd like to take a moment and give a huge Thank You to both Anne of Random Things Tours and Flame Tree Press for inviting me to be a part of their blog tour as well as providing me with an advanced reading copy of this book for review purposes.

Hellrider is a tale about revenge, and it takes some buildup for that to happen. I'm not meaning that negatively either. I'm glad the author took the time to properly introduce characters and settings, and even giving a nice family dynamic to this story.
cola_bear
Jun 02, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: arc, horror
3 stars

Light Spoilers!

The Good: the premise of this story was great~ a man trying to do better for his family, to help his sick mother and younger brother, is killed by those he betrayed and sent to jail.

The Not-So-Good: Eddie is a character that you can get behind and, at the start, you hope he succeeds in his mission. But that starts to fade a bit as the story progresses. This story could have easily been a 4 star if the book hadn't of derailed toward the middle. Though it did pick up at the
Lel Budge
Aug 20, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: anne-cater
Eddie used to be a member of the biker gang, The Hell Riders, but threatened with a jail sentence, he grassed up other gang members. Now persona non grata, he runs his garage and struggles to care for his emphasema ridden mum, and his 16 year old brother, Carson.

One night, working out in his garage, the Hell Riders firebomb the building, not knowing or caring if Eddie was inside…..he dies!

BUT, so full of anger, he comes back to seek revenge……along with his beloved Diablo…

If you like Grindhouse,
Jackie Cowgill (LanternsJourney)
DNF. No star rating because it just wasn't for me:

The bulk of this story is told from the point of view of Eddie, a biker who dies and comes back as a vengeful demon. Initially I loved the characters, and the story was deeper and more developed than I expected. However, the story started to lose me in the second part because Eddie becomes unlikable. I started to not care about him or his point of view as the subject matter became increasingly juvenile and misogynistic. To me, the first and
Patrice Leonard
I was so excited to read this one. The blurb sounded exactly like something my twisted brain would love. And I did love it until about halfway through it. At that point, Eddie just became a murderous, raping, horrible person. Up until certain points in this story I was very sympathetic towards him and I really was rooting for him to get the revenge he wanted so badly after his death and honestly deserved IMO.
But then things happened and he just became so unlikable. The story itself remained
Mark Smith-briggs
Aug 13, 2019 rated it it was ok
Hellrider is a supernatural revenge story that's not afraid to push the envelope - but one that falls into the trap of feeling like it's doing so simply for shock value.
After Eddie Ryder is killed by the small town bikie gang he ratted out, he returns as a vengeful spirit determined to destroy those who stole his life.
With the ability to possess the living, he sets about a course of violence, sex and borderline rape to tear the club apart from the inside.
But as the bodies pile up, he begins to
Joel Harris
Sep 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
I found the bok to be well written and very descriptive, but unfortunately, I felt that it took forever to get to the point. The characters were well defined. I give it the rating I do because I believe that it does have some redeeming qualities. Unfortunately, I was not able to finish it. That's not to say someone else might not enjoy it.
Michael
Jun 01, 2019 rated it it was ok
I received a galley from the publisher in exchange for an honest review.

This novel has a fun idea, with a wronged man back for revenge, able to possess people to help bring about his vengeance. But as the book goes on and it devolves into a series of murders and sexual assaults, it becomes tiresome.
Angela Maher
Aug 21, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror, netgalley
A non-stop wave of escalating terror and destruction, with often a thin veil between the 'good' guys and the 'bad'. Lots of action, lots of twists and turns. Refreshingly different.

I received my copy through NetGalley.
Russell James
Aug 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
Dark and disturbing, this splendid example of a lead character’s transformation will keep you turning pages all night. Faherty is a gifted storyteller whose work seems to hit a new high with each publication. This horror novel is often cringe worthy (in a good way), and always compelling.
Annarella
Jul 05, 2019 rated it liked it
Not my cup of tea. I was not engaged by the plot and DNFed it.
Many thanks to the publisher and Netgalley for this ARC, all opinions are mine.
David

• One by One
  • Those Who Came Before
  • They Kill
  • Violet
  • The Resurrectionists (Salem Hawley, #1)
  • Hearthstone Cottage
  • The Fearing: Water and Wind (The Fearing #2)
  • One Star
  • The Fearing: Fire and Rain (The Fearing #1)
  • Growing Things and Other Stories
  • The Fearing: Air and Dust (The Fearing #3)
  • The Hungry Ones (The Messy Man #2)
  • The Nightmare Room (The Messy Man, #1)
  • The Fearing: Earth and Ember (The Fearing #4)
  • The Last Astronaut
  • The Devil's Equinox
  • Dust Devils
JG Faherty is a Bram Stoker Award and ITW Thriller Award nominee and the author of six novels, nine novellas, and more than 50 short stories. He writes adult and YA horror/sci-fi/fantasy, and his works range from quiet, dark suspense to over-the-top comic gruesomeness.

His novels and novellas, all of which are listed on Goodreads, include THE CURE, CARNIVAL OF FEAR, GHOSTS OF CORONADO BAY,