Start by marking “The Sweet Scent of Blood (Spellcrackers.com, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Sweet Scent of Blood (Spellcrackers.com, #1)

The Sweet Scent of Blood (Spellcrackers.com #1)

3.61  ·  Rating details ·  2,305 Ratings  ·  253 Reviews
'My name is Genny Taylor. I work for Spellcrackers.com. It’s a great job, pays the rent, lets me do the thing I’m good at – finding magic and cracking it – and the bonus is it’s run by witches, which stops the vamps from taking a bite out of me.

Not that vampires are the big bad any more, not since they launched a slick PR campaign – oh, and they brought the goblins on boa
Published September 4th 2008 by Gollancz (first published January 1st 2008)

To ask other readers questions about The Sweet Scent of Blood, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Sweet Scent of Blood

Kira
There are so many things wrong with this book I’m not sure where to start. Genevieve worked for spellcrackers.com. It was always referred spellcrackers.com, not just spellcrackers. People don’t refer to websites with .com in casual conversation especially if they are well known. Anyway the case she was coerced into taking wasn’t for spellcrackers. Eventually she lost her job with spellcrackers. It bothered Genevieve, but was I supposed to care? Her job and coworkers were practically nonexistent. ...more
Mardel
Jul 20, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Suzanne McLeod (from England) has written a refreshing book about sidhe, vampires and witches, along with some wonderful side characters that are trolls, satyrs, brownies and goblins. Pixies and gremlins are also mentioned in this book. But it all works. In this alternate reality, England has the works. Vampires have used public relations to present themselves as celebrities, even putting out calenders, (Mr. June, Mr October, etc).

The main character, Genevieve Taylor has been coerced into trying
Wanda
I am a fan of all things Fae, so I was predisposed to enjoy this book. The main character, Genny, is Sidhe fae and she reminded me a little bit (but only a little bit) of October Daye (written by Seanan McGuire). McGuire’s fae world doesn’t include vampires, witches, or goblins, so McLeod has taken things in a very different direction.

As in so much urban fantasy, the vampires have ‘come out’ of the coffin and have become wildly popular, but regular humanity doesn’t know everything that the othe
Melindeeloo
When a vamp master calls in a marker, Fae magical troubleshooter Genny ends up trying to clear a young vamp in the murder of his human lover and ends up the prize in a vampire power struggle.

There was quite a bit that I liked in this first Spellcrackers novel: I liked the idea of the Fae heroine, Genny, and magical problem solving agency in this new UF offering, I really thought that Genny's hidden nature was quite interesting. I also liked some of the supporting Fae characters Genny's Satyr bos
Laura Lulu
May 14, 2010 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this book. The main character, Genny, was really likable--I've read a few books lately where I didn't like the main character, so I've found myself paying more attention to that.

Lots of different supes in this one--fae, witches, vamps. I really liked all the different fae that were introduced. It was pretty cool how they're all just integrated into humanity--satyrs, brownies, trolls, goblins, leprechauns, etc.

There were a few continuity issues I had with it, and I wasn't crazy
Liv
Jun 26, 2011 rated it did not like it
Seriously, I really tried. I did. I took a break from this book, went to another one, before coming back to it again. I picked it up again and after about 25 more pages into it, I just couldn't take it anymore. I had to tell myself that my time could be better spent elsewhere. I simply could not bring myself to continue finishing this book. In all fairness though, my review was purely based on after reading 131 pages (which took me to the end of chapter 14 and was a good 1/3 of the way through) ...more
Joanne
May 19, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Genny Taylor is a sidhe fae living in London - a London full of paranormal creatures the humans all know about. Vampires are no longer feared and some even have celebrity status thanks to a successful PR campaign, but Genny knows not to trust them.

She works for Spellcrackers.com, a company run by witches, that sorts out magical problems by finding and 'cracking' spells. But when a well-known vampire is charged with the murder of his girlfriend, his human father comes to Genny for help prooving h
Catherine
This story started off with a lot of promise for me. I liked the characters and the world the author built. As I read on I became more and more unhappy with the execution of the book. Events seemed disjointed and everything felt slightly off. There was also a pov tense change at the end of the book that seemed odd and out of place.

I'm interested with seeing how things will settle with Malik and Finn, but I really don't want to deal with so many unanswered questions again. I really can't tell if
Jessica ❁ ➳ Silverbow ➳ ❁ Rabid Reads-no-more
I really liked this book, but I felt lost for half of it. Not the first half, or a half taken out of the middle, but more of a cumulative half. I liked the story enough to push through it, but most of the time I wanted to bang my head against a wall and scream "WHAT'S GOING ON!!!"

Still worth it though. If it weren't for the confusion I'd give a solid 4 stars.
Cathy
3.5 stars. I liked it. I was a bit thrown because it wasn't very much like the short story I read in one of the anthologies, which focused on the fae and was a bit less dark than this. I didn't expect the vampires at all, and they're really the center of the book, despite the Spellcrackers name implying that it's about Genny's job working for the witches. There is a complex society where vampires, witches and fae live out in the open. Several witches and fae appear in the book, and of course Gen ...more
Blodeuedd Finland
Feb 23, 2011 rated it really liked it
I do love Urban Fantasy and this book was also refreshing because of the simple fact that it was set in London.

Now I feel that I can't give justice to how good the book was. The good ones are always the hardest to write about.

To the story then. Genny is a Fae in a world where supernaturals walk among us. The vampires have gone for fame and "groupies", but Fae like her have it a bit harder. They never were human at all. There are also trolls, brownies, goblins, witches, and lots more. And they al
jD
chucklesthescot
Apr 12, 2010 rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: UF fans
Shelves: fiction, uf-pnr, vampires
Genny works for Spellcrackers.com, finding and cracking problem spells for clients. The job also gives her witch protection from vampires, who take a particular interest in her. Now a vampire needs her help-he is accused of murdering his human girlfriend and wants to prove he didn't do it by using Genny's ability to find magic. The master vampires in town are trying to blackmail her into finding this spell that killed Melissa, but someone wants her stopped-permanently. Who can she trust and is t ...more
Kathy Davie
Aug 27, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy, urban
First in the Spellcrackers.com urban fantasy series revolving around Genevieve Taylor, half-fae, half-human? -vampire? and her ages-long fight against the 3V and her flight from her prince.

My Take
The premise is good and unique to my reading list, however, McLeod is irritating with her primary character AND the activities that occur throughout the story. It's one thing to tease the reader into continuing to read. It's another thing completely to tease with very little release. It almost reads as
Mello ❣ Illium ✮Harry✮ ☀Myrnin☀ Torin Ichimaru
Synopsis:

Genevieve Taylor is a sidhe - one of the noble fae - and she's unusual even in a London where celebrity vampires, eccentric goblins and scheming lesser fae mix freely with humanity...

Genny is a rising star at Spellcrackers.com, where she finds the "M" in magic - which can mean anything from mischief to malice to murder. The spellcrackers are run by the Witch Council, whose ancient tenets prohibit any contact with vampires. And that's just fine with Genny, who wants as little to do with
Donna
May 30, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Sweet Scent of Blood is set in modern day London, where it is common place to run into a brownie at the cafe, see pixies running through Trafalgar Square, or walk into the wait area of Old Scotland Yard and come face to face with a goblin. Magic seems to be everywhere you turn in London. The vampires are treated like glamorous A-list celebrities and are a huge money making tourist attraction for London.

This book is told from Genny's point view, her accounts are in vivid detail interlaced wit
Jess
May 07, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2010, urban-fantasy
I give this one 3.5 stars.

What I really liked about this book was that it seemed very different from other things I've read. Granted, this might be because I haven't read all that many books about the fae, but it still seemed unique to me. The main character is Genny (Gen for short) and she works for a company called spellcrackers.com. She is a sidhe, and she breaks spells for a living. In this world, vampires have been given "human" rights for the past 20 years or so. And lately, they have bee
Melliane
Jul 08, 2011 rated it really liked it
Après en avoir entendu parlé par un auteur j'étais curieuse de voir ce que donnait ce premier tome, et je dois dire qu'il est vraiment trés bien !

Geneviève est la fille d'une sidhe et d'un vampire, ce qui est quelque chose d'étrange et impossible, mais la voilà. Elle garde pour elle précieusement ce secret et fait tout son possible pour ne pas être en relation avec un quelconque vampire.
Elle travaille auprès d'une boite dirigée par les sorcières et qui lui confère une protection quant aux vampir
Patrícia
Nov 30, 2008 rated it liked it
I found it quite hard to get through the first half (or more) of this book, which I thought was too cluttered with background story and slighty confusing. Only the last few chapters were interesting and had some action.

The mystery story was usually overshadowed by the character development, resulting in a poorly constructed plot. It was really painful to read sometimes.

Still, overall, I liked the book (more the last part, of course) and the characters (especially the sexy, if cliche, vampire Mal
Lexxie (un)Conventional Bookworms
Extraordinary attention to detail! If I knew how to draw, I could totally draw all of the characters, plus all of the houses, parks, streets and offices as well. Very well written, with a lot of suspense, a little romance, some big-time scary vampires, and a huge betrayal. I loved this book, and for the first time ever, I really, really loved a fae! Gen is wonderful, strong and funny, and a little bit sneaky too, but she had to be in order to try to make it. Exciting read, and a page-turner thro ...more
Fiona J Mackenzie
Jan 09, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Although outside my normal choice of genre, this book is such a fun read. It entertains from the first page with great characters that vary from enchanting to dangerous to downright sexy. There is plenty of exciting action, all set in contemporary London - and which just keeps those pages turning. A great debut novel from a new author and I can't wait for the next one in the series.
Kenya Wright
May 14, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Kim Harrison and Charlaine Harris book fans
Excellent!!!! The author is similar to many of my favorites! Kim Harrison, Charlaine Harris, Karen Moning, etc.

The main character as a Sidhe with a little extra (found out in the book) is an excellent new twist in the Urban fantasy world. She's not a sociopath like Anita Blake (thank god!) or clutzy cool like Rachel Morgan, but the main character Genny is cool as hell! I love this series!!!
Writtenwyrdd
Aug 18, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Great dark fantasy! Different takes on vampires, the fey and a lot of popular tropes in the urban/dark fantasy subgenre. And, for those of you not fond of lots of sex in their reading diet, there's lots of tension but nothing explicit.
Katyana
Sep 03, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: ebook, fantasy, uf
There was a lot that I liked about this book. I liked the world - it was complex and interesting, and it seems like there's a lot of layers to how the supernatural works. There's a lot of potential to do fun stuff in this world.

There's also a lot that I didn't like about this book.

1 - The plot unfolded in a weirdly jumpy fashion for a book written in first person.

Genny leaped to some conclusions in the back third of the book that came out of nowhere ... nothing unfolded to lead her there, and s
Jun 10, 2015 rated it liked it
This was another one of those books that left me confused as to what rating to give. I felt like there were some four and five star moments. I also felt like there were plenty of one and two star moments. So I'm left with three but somehow that just doesn't seem right.

In some aspects this was your typical UF cast of characters. Vampires, witches, fae, etc.. I did like the addition of the trolls. There seems to be a sad lack of troll coverage in today's urban fantasy. I'm kidding of course but I
Tracy
3 1/2 stars

Sweet Scent of Blood is an edgy, mysterious and fast-paced story that will take you from 0 to 60 mph in the blink of an eye, so hold on to your knickers and get ready for the ride.

Genevieve “Genny” Taylor is the only sidhe living in London at a time when vampires, witches, goblins, trolls and other fae live openly among humans. Without a community of fellow sidhe, Genny is happy to have found a home with Spellcrackers.com and, given her ability to not only see, but also absorb various
Jessica(Spinecracker)
Nov 17, 2010 rated it really liked it
Originally posted at http://thespinecracker.blogspot.com/

When I finished the last page of The Sweet Scent of Blood I sat there for a few minutes staring at the back cover, still sifting through everything that just happened. Wow! You know how sometimes there are movies you just have to give your undivided attention to; no bathroom brakes or popcorn refills? This is the book counterpoint to that kind of story-telling. Suzanne McLeod brings new meaning to the phrase "a smart read."

Genevieve Taylo
Kelly
May 10, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: wtf-is-going-on
(2.5 stars) Genevieve is the only sidhe fae in London and has a traumatic past involving vampires, which we readers learn about in flashbacks throughout the story. She works as a spellcracker, removing hexes from objects. There are two ways she can remove a spell. She can “crack” the spell, thereby destroying both the spell and the object, or she can absorb it into herself, which carries its own problems. As the story begins, a celebrity vampire stands accused of murdering his girlfriend, Meliss ...more
Ailsa
Nov 26, 2009 rated it it was amazing
(First posted by me over at The Book Bundle

Since I’ve been re-reading it in preparation for the sequel, which comes out on July 16th, I just had to review this book. It’s been a while since I’d read it, and I’d forgotten how much I loved it.
‘The Sweet Scent of Blood’ is about a Sidhe fae called Genny Taylor, who lives in present day London, working at finding magic while trying to stay away from vampires - she knows from experience exactly how bad they can be.
From the website:
When Mr October, a
Veronica
Oct 06, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: urban-fantasy
This was a bit of an odd reading experience. I felt confused throughout the book and am still not sure that I came out of it with a solid understanding of the world or the rules of magic and how all the supernatural species fit in with each other. That said, I still somehow ended up liking it.

I enjoyed the focus on the fae and Genevieve, London's only known sidhe fae, makes for a likeable heroine. I think there might be a love triangle on the horizon though which gives me pause. One of the poten
  • Embers (Anya Kalinczyk, #1)
  • Confessions of a Demon (Allay, #1)
  • Precinct 13
  • Skin Deep (Laura Blackstone, #1)
  • Red Hot Fury (Shades of Fury, #1)
  • That Which Bites (Julia Poe Vampire Chronicles, #1)
  • Motor City Fae (Urban Arcana, #1)
  • Blood Law (Alexandra Sabian, #1)
  • Viper Moon (Earth Witches, #1)
  • Dark Oracle (Oracle, #1)
  • Fatal Circle (Persephone Alcmedi, #3)
  • Afterlife: The Resurrection Chronicles
  • Sins of the Angels (Grigori Legacy, #1)
  • A Brush of Darkness (Abby Sinclair, #1)
  • Street Magic (Black London, #1)
  • Under Wraps (Underworld Detection Agency, #1)
  • Don't Kill The Messenger (Messenger, #1)
  • Shadowfae (The Shadowfae Chronicles, #1)
Welcome to my Goodreads page! I write the Spellcrackers.com urban fantasy series about magic, mayhem and murder – liberally spiced with hot guys, kick-ass chicks and super-cool supes! I live on the sunny (sometimes) South Coast of England with my wonderful husband and our two much loved boisterous HellHounds!
More about Suzanne McLeod

Spellcrackers.com (6 books)
  •  The Cold Kiss of Death (Spellcrackers.com, # 2)
  • The Bitter Seed of Magic (Spellcrackers.com, # 3)
  • The Shifting Price of Prey (Spellcrackers.com, #4)
  • The Hidden Rune Of Iron (Spellcrackers.com #5)
  • The Sharp Bite of Ritual (Spellcrackers.com, #6)

Fantasy & Science Fiction Deals

• Son of the Dawn (Ghosts of the Shadow Market #1)
    $2.99 $1.49
  • Sanctuary (Nomad, #2)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • Genome (The Extinction Files #2)
    $5.99 $2.49
  • The Jewel (The Lone City, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Mechanica (Mechanica, #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Wired (Wired, #1)
    $6.99 $2.99
  • Bandwidth (An Analog Novel Book 1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Sufficiently Advanced Magic (Arcane Ascension, #1)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • Three Dark Crowns (Three Dark Crowns, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Bees
    $12.99 $1.99
  • The Land: Founding (Chaos Seeds, #1)
    $2.99 $1.49
  • The Mists of Avalon (Avalon, #1)
    $12.99 $2.99
  • Fool's Assassin (The Fitz and The Fool Trilogy, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Gone (Gone, #1)
  • Friday
    $6.99 $2.99
  • Dhalgren
    $17.99 $1.99
  • Moon Chosen (Tales of a New World #1)
    $8.51 $2.99
  • Homeworld (Odyssey One, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Recurve (The Elemental Series, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Deviants (Dust Chronicles #1)
    $4.49 $0.99
  • Before She Ignites (Fallen Isles, #1)
    $6.49 $1.99
  • The Kill Society (Sandman Slim, #9)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Out of the Black (Odyssey One, #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Acacia: The War with the Mein (Acacia, #1)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • The Menagerie
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Infinite (Gates of Thread and Stone #2)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Black Bird of the Gallows
    $7.99 $0.99
  • Eighth Grave After Dark (Charley Davidson, #8)
    $8.99 $2.99