Start by marking “Fighter in Velvet Gloves: Alaska Civil Rights Hero Elizabeth Peratrovich” as Want to Read:
Fighter in Velvet Gloves: Alaska Civil Rights Hero Elizabeth Peratrovich

Fighter in Velvet Gloves: Alaska Civil Rights Hero Elizabeth Peratrovich

“No Natives or Dogs Allowed,” blared the storefront sign at Elizabeth Peratrovich, then a young Alaska Native Tlingit. The sting of those words would stay with her all her life. Years later, after becoming a seasoned fighter for equality, she would deliver her own powerful message: one that helped change Alaska and the nation forever.
In 1945, Peratrovich stood before the
Published February 16th 2019 by University of Alaska Press

To ask other readers questions about Fighter in Velvet Gloves, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Fighter in Velvet Gloves

Cheryl
Feb 12, 2019 marked it as x-new
Highly recommended by Debbie Reese.
Erin
This is a wonderful nonfiction account of the early days of the civil rights movement. The life of Elizabeth Peratrovich should be mandatory reading in history curriculums. It is a short text that explains the significance of Peratrovich's act.
Caitlin Hoffer
Mar 23, 2019 rated it liked it
Important and interesting subject matter, really clunky writing. Feels like a list of facts more than a narrative.
Kristen
Apr 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
A few years ago a student came to me looking for a book on Elizabeth Peratrovich to use for a report. I was sure we must have one. Imagine my surprise when the only book I could find about her was an old, obscure small publication intended for grown-ups and almost impossible to come by. Someone, I said, needs to write a book about Elizabeth Peratrovich for kids! Finally, someone did. It was so interesting and well-written, with lots of supporting photos. Now I have something I'd be proud to hand ...more
Eileen Breseman
May 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Although my husband has been getting this Alaskan February holiday off for years from his company,
I never really knew who this woman was. Written as a YA level book, it is a easy and engrossing read, complete with many photos and details of her resilient, purposeful life bringing civil rights to Alaskan Natives. As a frequent traveler with family ties to S.E., (husband is of the Tlingit and grew up in Juneau) many of the places, and some people who are in the acknowledgement pages are known to m
Molly Walker
Apr 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ya-lit
I loved learning about the life and work of Elizabeth Peratrovich. Her contribution to civil rights for Alaskan Natives, as well as laying the groundwork for future civil rights battles in the Lower 48 deserve a to be recognized, now more than ever. This book was informative, succinct, and accessible for young readers.
Wulfwyn
May 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book is written for YA but anyone could benefit from reading it. It tells the interesting story of the fight for equal rights in Alaska that, I believe, was important for the Lower 48 as well. I wish every school had a copy of this book for students to read.
Amy
Apr 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
Marked it down only for its simplicity. I imagine the struggle was more vivid than portrayed.
Reb
Apr 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
Enjoyed the book as far as it went. I would have liked a little more story of what happened with her family after she died.
David James