Start by marking “Fighter in Velvet Gloves: Alaska Civil Rights Hero Elizabeth Peratrovich” as Want to Read:
Fighter in Velvet Gloves: Alaska Civil Rights Hero Elizabeth Peratrovich

Fighter in Velvet Gloves: Alaska Civil Rights Hero Elizabeth Peratrovich

“No Natives or Dogs Allowed,” blared the storefront sign at Elizabeth Peratrovich, then a young Alaska Native Tlingit. The sting of those words would stay with her all her life. Years later, after becoming a seasoned fighter for equality, she would deliver her own powerful message: one that helped change Alaska and the nation forever.
In 1945, Peratrovich stood before the
Published February 16th 2019 by University of Alaska Press

To ask other readers questions about Fighter in Velvet Gloves, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Fighter in Velvet Gloves

Start your review of Fighter in Velvet Gloves: Alaska Civil Rights Hero Elizabeth Peratrovich
Cheryl
Feb 12, 2019 marked it as x-new
Highly recommended by Debbie Reese.
Erin
This is a wonderful nonfiction account of the early days of the civil rights movement. The life of Elizabeth Peratrovich should be mandatory reading in history curriculums. It is a short text that explains the significance of Peratrovich's act.
Bethany
A very short read that will inspire anyone to look deeper into the story of Elizabeth & her family. I would have loved to read 60 more pages about her!
Caitlin Snyder
Mar 23, 2019 rated it liked it
Important and interesting subject matter, really clunky writing. Feels like a list of facts more than a narrative.
Kari
Sep 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is categorized as YA but, in my opinion, comes across as middle-grade. Peratrovich was a remarkable person who led one of the earliest fights for equal rights in our country. This does a lovely job of describing the circumstances and historical facts surrounding her address to the territorial government regarding humanity.
Eileen Breseman
May 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Although my husband has been getting this Alaskan February holiday off for years from his company,
I never really knew who this woman was. Written as a YA level book, it is a easy and engrossing read, complete with many photos and details of her resilient, purposeful life bringing civil rights to Alaskan Natives. As a frequent traveler with family ties to S.E., (husband is of the Tlingit and grew up in Juneau) many of the places, and some people who are in the acknowledgement pages are known to
Wulfwyn
May 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book is written for YA but anyone could benefit from reading it. It tells the interesting story of the fight for equal rights in Alaska that, I believe, was important for the Lower 48 as well. I wish every school had a copy of this book for students to read.
Literary Classics Book Awards & Reviews
Elizabeth Peratrovich, a native Alaskan Tlinget woman, was a powerful force to be reckoned with. Back in 1945, many years before the U.S. government enacted the US Civil Rights Act of 1964, Elizabeth was determined to put an end to discrimination against Native Alaskan Indians. Never resorting to anger or bitter tactics, Elizabeth managed to rock boats and make waves, effectively influencing positive change. Determined to create a better future for her children, she traveled around Alaska in an ...more
Kristen
Apr 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
A few years ago a student came to me looking for a book on Elizabeth Peratrovich to use for a report. I was sure we must have one. Imagine my surprise when the only book I could find about her was an old, obscure small publication intended for grown-ups and almost impossible to come by. Someone, I said, needs to write a book about Elizabeth Peratrovich for kids! Finally, someone did. It was so interesting and well-written, with lots of supporting photos. Now I have something I'd be proud to hand ...more
Diana Sandberg
Sep 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: people interested in history, racial equality, successful activism
Shelves: biography-memoir
Very good. The biography of Elizabeth Peratrovich, an Alaska Native woman who was a leader in a remarkable movement for racial equality in Alaska, leading to the passage of the Alaska Anti-Discrimination Act of 1945 - the first such law in the US, and well before the federal Civil Rights Act.

This book was written for middle school and high school aged persons, and it is perhaps a bit simplified, but does not leave out the bones of why anti-racist legislation was needed. And Ms. Peratrovich's
Amy
Apr 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
Marked it down only for its simplicity. I imagine the struggle was more vivid than portrayed.
Bethany Zimp
Feb 01, 2020 rated it really liked it
Wonderful historic read of Elizabeth’s life and impact on halting discrimination of Alaska Natives. Written as an easy read for teens, but I wish it was longer.
Madeleine
Good thing to read on the plane to Juneau!!
Aug 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
Everyone can benefit by reading about this Civil Rights and Tlingit leader.
Reb
Apr 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
Enjoyed the book as far as it went. I would have liked a little more story of what happened with her family after she died.
Molly Walker
I loved learning about the life and work of Elizabeth Peratrovich. Her contribution to civil rights for Alaskan Natives, as well as laying the groundwork for future civil rights battles in the Lower 48 deserve a to be recognized, now more than ever. This book was informative, succinct, and accessible for young readers.

2020 EDIT:

I re-read this for our Open Books, Open Minds book club which met on February 17--the day after Elizabeth Peratrovich Day! We all agreed that Elizabeth was an incredible
Seshet
Jul 08, 2019 rated it liked it
It was enjoyable and informative. Not a book I would normally find my self reading but,still
It held my attention which I did not expect.
David James
Nov 13, 2019
Chanda
Jan 30, 2020
Joe
rated it did not like it
Dec 15, 2019
Anchorage Public ...: Loussac Book Group: January 2020 1 4 Dec 27, 2019 04:01PM

• No Hard Feelings: The Secret Power of Embracing Emotions at Work
  • Genius: The Game
  • Took: A Ghost Story
  • Orphan Monster Spy (Orphan Monster Spy, #1)
  • Sweetgirl
  • I'm Telling the Truth, but I'm Lying: Essays
  • Blood Will Tell (Kate Shugak, #6)
  • Clementine (Clementine, #1)
  • The Tao of Raven: An Alaska Native Memoir
  • Beluga Days: Tracking a White Whale's Truths
  • Middle School Matters: The 10 Key Skills Kids Need to Thrive in Middle School and Beyond--and How Parents Can Help
  • This Promise of Change: One Girl’s Story in the Fight for School Equality
  • I Can Make This Promise
  • Outrun the Moon
  • If I Loved You, I Would Tell You This
  • Life Drawing
  • Surrender to Me (Wicked Lovers, #4)
  • Envious Casca (Inspectors Hannasyde & Hemingway #6)