Start by marking “The Starter Wife” as Want to Read:
The Starter Wife

The Starter Wife

From the bestselling author of Girl Last Seen comes "a spine-tingler" (Booklist) of a psychological suspense, perfect for fans of Lisa Jewell and Jessica Knoll.

Local police have announced that they're closing the investigation of the suspected drowning of 37-year-old painter Colleen Westcott. She disappeared on April 11, 2010, and her car was found parked near the waterfront in Clev()
Published June 11th 2019 by Grand Central Publishing

To ask other readers questions about The Starter Wife, please sign up.
Recent Questions
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

Michelle
Jul 23, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I am happy to say that I liked this book a lot more than I was expecting to. This book is full on crazy. If you are burnt out on the drunk unreliable narrator then steer clear but if you fancy a narrator that puts the cuckoo in cocoa puffs then you've come to the right place.

Claire is married to English professor Byron and while she is still head over heels in love with him it appears that his interest in her is beginning to wane. She can't have this. She will do anything to keep her man. Unfor
Katie B
May 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
Well that was a crazy and wild ride! It was entertaining for sure but there were a few problems I had with it while reading. It was still enjoyable though and would make a darn good summer beach read.

Claire is married to Byron, a college professor. Byron's first wife aka the starter wife, Colleen, committed suicide while they were married, and Claire has always felt like she was in Colleen's shadow. It is probably hard to shake that feeling when they live in Colleen's nice home, spen
marilyn
The Starter Wife has two unreliable narrators. There is the mysterious student who is stalking college professor Byron and his wife and there is Claire, Byron's second wife. The student feels that Byron's wife if not worthy of him and that she must protect him from her devious ways. She actually considers herself his "Guardian Angel", determined that at some point she will be married to Byron and he will know she is the perfect wife for him.

Claire is dealing with feelings of jealousy
Carole
Jul 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: netgalley-books
The Starter Wife by Nina Laurin is my favorite type of mystery: a thriller that you want to re-read so you can pick up on some of the clues you might have missed the first time. Byron Westcott is a college professor whose wife Colleen disappeared years ago. The police suspect she committed suicide but have never recovered her body. Several years later, Byron marries Claire, a budding novelist, who idolizes her husband. Cracks begin to appear in this happy marriage and where this is going you wil ...more
Julie (JuJu)
**Update** Thank you to the wonderful Nina Laurin, who sent me a signed copy of her book (all the way from Canada 🇨🇦, where my husband is also from 😊 ) after I won it in her drawing! This is the best book mail I’ve received so far! 💜 I have your other books and will be reading them when I get a chance. Thank you again Ms. Laurin. I can’t express how excited I was to receive it...you made my day! 😊 You are truly a thoughtful and generous author!!!

This one started a little slow, then picked up an
Mandy White
Jun 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
The Starter Wife by Nina Laurin was absolute roller coaster of a domestic suspense book. In the beginning it was a tad confusing but as I got into it more I couldn't put it down. That ending was just crazy - and I loved it. When a book goes off on so many tangents and keeps you guessing I know it is a good book!

Claire is Byron's second wife. They seems relatively happy but the shadow of Colleen - Bryon's first wife who committed suicide- hangs over their relationship. Byron is still
Jonetta
Claire Wescott is married to Byron, a professor at a liberal arts college in Ohio. She’s his second wife and is starting to question if his change in behavior towards her means something...is it a sign that he’s seeing someone else. Claire thinks a baby will be the answer though she’s got fertility issues. As she pursues that direction, she’s also trying to figure out if there’s a “who” responsible for his distraction.

From the start, I knew I was dealing with an unreliable narrator because Clai
Mark
Jun 17, 2019 rated it liked it

Interesting idea and fairly well done
First though got to say that the lead lady Claire gets nausea, about everything and anything, and barely a page goes past without her for one reason or another telling us!
That aside ( oh and her love of drink, somewhat a pre requisite of many books now, a lead lady who drinks 24/7 ) this is a domestic thriller thats more domestic than thriller but when it is thrilling it really is!!
Its a story, confusing at times, about ultimate class A stal
Lou
Jun 13, 2019 rated it it was ok
The Starter Wife is Nina Laurin's third thriller, but I have to say that I found it 8 parts women's fiction and only 2 parts resembling a thriller. It also has a premise that has been done to death and doesn't have anything new to add or offer over and above those books. I didn't find myself gripped at any stage and the characters certainly didn't help as they were bitchy, quite juvenile and infuriating. Most of the twists were quite obvious and the middle section dragged so much that I debated ...more
Betsy
Jun 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
Well that was fun!

Other than what's already in the blurb, there's very little I can say about the plot--there's a huge, game-changing twist in this one, so I don't want to spoil anything. I stayed up far too late to finish reading because I was determined to see how this unfolded. Laurin knew how to keep me turning pages!

There was one not-so-teeny thing I had to overlook in order to keep enjoying this story--Google.

Byron, the former husband
Yna Nicole ❤
Aug 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: arc
"They will all think I’m crazy, insane, psychotic, but what else is love but madness? Isn’t that what all the great novels are about?"
📖 Buy This Book: Amazon 📖
📚 Series:  No.
📚 Genre: Mystery/Thriller.
📚 POV:  Dual first person.
📚 Cliffhanger: No.

⚠ Content Warnings:  Unreliable narrators. Death. And other things I would rather not say. 😉
⚠ Read if: you are a fan of domestic thrillers a la Gillian Flynn or Lisa Jewell.

The Starter Wife is the first book I have read from author Nina Laurin and I would have to say, I found a new fave thriller writer.

This book isJewell.
The😉
⚠No.
⚠person.
📚Mystery/Thriller.
📚 No.
📚
Magdalena aka A Bookaholic Swede
Out of all the books I've read by Nina Laurin is this the one I had the hardest time reading. Both What My Sister Knew and Girl Last Seen are great thrillers, while this took forever for me to get into. Now, I think it's because I right from the start felt very, very annoyed with Claire, the main character. And, the more I read the less I liked her. What kept me going was the fact that I wanted to know what the heck is going one and if Colleen really committed suicide. The best part was the last ...more
Frank Phillips
Jul 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
CRAZY!!! I listen to this one on audiobook and could not put it down. I think maybe I might need to go back and actually read the physical book because this one was quite confusing! I just want to reference the term unreliable narrators and leave it at that! This was the craziest book I've read so far this year twists upon twists! I think definitely this authors best thriller yet!
Brandy
Jun 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: netgalley
He loves her, he loves her not, he loves her he loves her not....

“True love only gives and asks for nothing in return.”

The Starter Wife, takes you down the aisle of marriage bliss and makes you realize what one will do to keep the spark of love alive - and just how far they’ll go to keep their mate by their side. After all, in love and marriage, it’s until death do you part, right? 4.5 stars
Katrina [mycheckedoutbooks]
Mar 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Wow.. The starter wife was an addicting read that I couldn't get enough of! This is my first Nina Laurin book and it really ended up being a good read that has gotten me out of my reading slump.

I have been totally obsessed with domestic thrillers and this really knocked it out of the park for me. It had everything I look for in a domestic thriller. It had so many lies, secrets, betrayal, multiple wives, obsession and murder!

The starter wife was well written with well thou
Bradley
May 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery, 2019-shelf
Cuckoo! Cuckoo! :)

This is definitely for all you mystery/thriller fans out there who can't get enough of your CRAZY WOMEN. You know, the Single White Female types, the Fatal Attraction types... or even Gone Girl. :)

All the nastiest tropes of our favorite crazy girls are upped here for our reading pleasure, evoking gales of disturbed laughter from tortured chests. :)

Fun. Good, evil fun. :)
ʚϊɞ Shelley ʚϊɞ

20515174

I was totally enthralled by the book from the very beginning. The writing made the characters come to life easily and with power. The twist at the end was something I didn’t expect. I liked how the book went through different narratives...one of my favourite types of thrillers.

The story was very engrossing. This book is packed with so many layers, each one care
Ludwig
4,5 STARS happily rounded-up.

Claire can't help but feel like she's living under the shadow of her husband's first wife, Colleen, who died under very strange circumstances. This woman was reported to have jumped into the water one night, presumably as a suicide attempt. Her body though. It just vanished.

This is not your typical domestic thriller, it sure starts out as one but then BAM!...completely catches you off guard - that horrifying twist at the end, like a slap in your face. I remember just blankly staring into space/>This
Chelsey
May 28, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: giveaways-arcs
“I’m overcome with a sensation of vulnerability, alone and exposed in this airy room like a goldfish that becomes aware of her tank for the first time.”

Claire and Byron have been married for a few years. Byron’s first wife, Colleen, died ten years ago in an apparent suicide and to Claire, it’s clear he has not moved on from her death. Colleen’s paintings still adorn the walls of every room in the house they shared and he won’t let Claire redecorate even though she now lives there wit
Clare

With thanks to Netgalley and Hodder and Stoughton for this ARC in exchange for and open and honest review.

Claire Westcott was married to college professor Byron Westcott. When they first met Byron was grieving after his first wife Colleen committed suicide. After Byron and Claire got married they remained in the house he shared with Colleen. Her paintings were still on the walls including a nude painting of Byron and Colleen in the bedroom.

Claire was a trophy wife, she d
Calista Andrechek
Apr 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Thank you to NetGalley, Nina Laurin and Grand Central Publishing for the free e-book in exchange for an honest review.

Claire begins to get suspicious of what her husband is up too, so she looks up the story behind her husband’s missing first wife and finds out that she disappeared in suspicious circumstances. Claire is getting phone calls with no one on the other end and e-mails that scare her. One of those phone calls a woman answers and knows more about Claire than she should; is C
Jannelies
Apr 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: thriller, five-stars
'A gripping thriller'... Yes!
We meet Claire Westcott, 27, married to successfull professor in literature Byron Westcott, some 20 years her senior. Claire is not very happy. She met Byron when he was already a widower. His first wife, famous artist Colleen May, disappeared a few years ago. She seems to have been mentally unstable and presumably drowned herself. Her body was never found...
Claire's written a manuscript, but she is not succeeding in selling it. In the mean time, she takes car
Sabrina
Jun 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
NOW LIVE!
Amazon US * Amazon UK

The Starter Wife took me on one crazy journey, and I enjoyed every second of it. I was scratching my head in confusion and second guessing myself so many times, which I thought was brilliant. The book had me going back and forth thinking I knew everything and knew what was going on, but then I'd go back to having no clue and coming up with a bunch of different tclass="gr-hostedUserImg">
The
Bridgett
Jul 31, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: arc
A plot you've read a million times...but with poor writing.

2 stars...probably a generous rating.

The Starter Wife is the ultimate in unreliable narrators. This story, however, has something that other books in this genre don't...not a single chapter without the coo-coo. I literally felt like I was reading page after page of confused, drunken rambling with no direction, no plot, a
Jamie beauty_andthebook_
Apr 29, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: arcs
3.5 Stars to The Starter Wife!

Claire is Byron's second wife, he's about 20 years her senior and there's a bunch of indicators that he may not be over his first wife, Colleen, who died 10 years earlier, but who's body was never found. When Claire gets a phone call that seems that it might be from Colleen, it's the thread that begins to make the whole quilt unravel.

This book started out with extreme promise but as it moved forward it started to lose me a bit. The concept of
Liz
Aug 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019-release
This book takes the cake in CRAZY. This domestic suspense definitely took me on a wild rollercoaster ride of psychotic. It is told in alternating perspectives....Byron’s wife (Claire) and Byron’s obsessed admirer.... My advice read carefully. There are many clues throughout the book that if you catch early on...will make the book so much better and easier to follow... Secrets, lies and dark deception....this book checks all the boxes! I have enjoyed ALL of Nina Lauren’s past books, What My Siste ...more
Maxine (Booklover Catlady)
Woah! Twists and turns ga!ore!

This book grabbed me early as I sensed an undercurrent of delicious deception, secrets and lies. Nothing have warning to what unfolds.

The characters are vivid and damaged and ever do imperfect. Claire Westcott, married to her older, be!loved husband Byron was a woman I was desperate to know. Her character development is brilliant and she is the star of the novel for sure.

This helped me out of a frustrating reading slump with its interesting
lovebooks
Apr 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley
. The starter wife is about Byron a college professor and Claire his 20 something wife. There is suspension that Byron killed his first wife Colleen. Her body has never been found. Edge of your seat suspense.
Paula  Phillips
May 30, 2019 rated it liked it
Having read Nina Laurin's previous books, when I saw The Starter Wife pop up for reading/review on NetGalley. It was one I was requesting as I have loved her previous books with their twists and turns. The Starter Wife which seems to be a theme lately for psychological thrillers from Verity by Colleen Hoover to The Wives by Tarryn Fisher and The Third Mrs. Durst by Ann Agguire. In The Starter Wife by Nina Laurin, we have a scene in a diner which feels like an obsessive stalker romance, and then ...more
Erin (from Long Island, NY)
(3.5) A quick, easy read.. At times far-fetched and almost silly, but the way it comes together towards the end makes up for it. Will it be on top of your list of favorites? Probably not. But it has awful, fun-to-dislike characters.. & it draws you in.. You have to see where its going & what's really happened. 2 unreliable narrators.. How unreliable? You'll have to see.. Lots of crazy! Read this when you'd like to turn your brain off. & enjoy!
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
Goodreads Librari...: Combine Editions of "The Starter Wife" by Nina Laurin 2 13 Jul 16, 2019 02:35AM