Start by marking “Smokescreen (Eve Duncan, #25)” as Want to Read:
Smokescreen (Eve Duncan, #25)

Smokescreen

(Eve Duncan #25)

In this pulse-pounding thriller from #1 New York Times bestselling author Iris Johansen, forensic sculptor Eve Duncan journeys to Africa to help families torn apart by a violent attack deep in the jungle--but she may be putting herself in more danger than she knows.

A journalist shows up on Eve Duncan's doorstep with a plea for help. Jill Cassidy has just come from a small
Expected publication: July 30th 2019 by Grand Central Publishing

Win a Copy of This Book

• Smokescreen by Iris Johansen
    Smokescreen (Eve Duncan, #25)
    Release date: Jul 30, 2019
    Enter for a chance to win a copy of SMOKESCREEN by Iris Johansen!

*NO PO BOXES*

Countries available: U.S.

• Friend Reviews

Linda Strong
    May 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
    For those who are familiar with the series featuring Eve Duncan, forensic sculptor, you are in for a treat.

An investigative journalist shows up on Eve's doorstep begging for her help. She wants Eve to go to Africa, a war-torn jungle, to help identify 27 children who were massacred by guerilla soldiers.

But this journalist may have a different agenda ... one that puts Eve in more danger than she knows.

This is a preview only .... the complete novel will be available 7/9/19.

The first chapter grabbed
    Donna Hines
    A journalist arrives with one question- Help Jill find out who killed many people in a Guerilla attack in the jungle.
    This plea for help may just be a cover up by Jill and it may just result in more lives being put in danger.
    Zahra may be a person of interest in it all as there's an issue with some food poisoining and back door discussions.
    Jill hired Eve as a reconstructionist in determining the final outcome.
    Varak and Zolak are also two characters that are worthy to mention here as they both are
    Watmom
    Apr 22, 2019 rated it liked it
    I won this book in a Goodreads giveaway.

Full disclosure: I have read a couple of Iris Johansen's books before but this was the first Eve Duncan book I read. To her credit, I didn't feel like I was lost because I didn't have a lot of the characters' back stories, nor did I feel like she was throwing in random background pieces in order to "catch me up". I've read books by other authors who have done this and it makes for some tedious reading.

The plot line itself was enough to keep my interest and
    Marcia
    May 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
    Won an ARC of this book from a Goodreads giveaway

Once again, Iris Johansen doesn’t disappoint! I read on of the first Eve Duncan stories, and honestly didn’t feel like I’d missed a step. Riveting action - keeps you glued the entire time!
    Patricia Levack
    May 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
    Iris Johansen's latest Eve Duncan's adventure is another winner! Smoke Screen takes Eve to African to reconstruct and identify children who were brutally slaughtered. She wants to give these children back to their parents. Jill Cassidy, a journalist who approached Eve actually has a different agenda in mind. Jill is on a "great journey" to finish her story about who is behind this attack and the new leader. Eve has been manipulated and becomes a part of the discovery and a target. The characters ...more
    Althea Mason
    May 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
    This is a tear jerking story by Iris Johansen. It is probably the Eve Duncan story that goes in the most in-depth about a tragic horror inflicted on children and keeps on going. Every time you think that you can't discover something more horrific, Iris Johansen reveals more to the story that makes it even worse. For example, learning about the deaths of the children in Robaku and then learning more about Zahra's involvement.

...

Check out the rest of my review at: https://www.21stcenturyreviews.co
    Pam Venne
    Apr 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
    Recommends it for: everyone
    Iris Johansen knows how to write a thriller and her most recent, Smoke Screen, of which I was delighted to receive an Advance Copy was spellbinding. The action was so in my face I did not want to put it down. She knows how to draw her audience in and keep you on the edge of your seat waiting for the next bit of drama. Her female characters are sublime and robust.

What will keep me up at night are the images Johansen painted in my mind of the children who had been killed by Varak and his mercenar
    Diane
    Jun 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
    Smokescreen by Iris Johansen (Eve Duncan #25) is another powerful thriller which held my interest from the beginning until the ending of the story. Forensic sculpturer Eve Duncan is requested by journalist Jill Cassidy to travel to the small African village of Robaku. Jill is to the point of manipulative begging and plays on Eve's compassion for the parents of murdered children. Jill wants Eve to reconstruct the faces of children who were slain and then burned by a terroristic group lead by Nils ...more
    Jeanette
    Jun 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
    I received this book from goodreads.com; thanks to goodreads.com, Iris Johansen and the publisher. The words of this review are my own.

I love this series from Iris Johansen. I find forensic sculpture fascinating all by itself, and as always, wished there were more of it in this book. Given that, this was a page-turner. The incredible evil that men can inflict upon other humans is appalling, and it was hard to read about some of that in this novel....even though you know THIS is fiction, you stil
    Shelley McIntyre
    Jun 20, 2019 rated it it was ok
    I’ve been a huge Iris Johansen fan from the time I cracked open my first book of hers. She has never let me down with action, adventure, beloved characters, and plot twists...until Smokescreen. The setting, new characters introduced, and storyline just didn’t live up to any of her previous titles. I’m sorry to say that I struggled to remain interested in it to complete the book. This, in no way, will jade me toward future Iris Johansen novels. I’ll still be on the look out for new books to be re ...more
    Helen Williams
    Jul 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
    Journalist Jill Cassidy shows up on Eve Duncan's doorstep with a plea for help about a small African village where half of the villagers have been massacred by gorilla soldiers.

Eve is not happy that Jill has not been totally honest with her. But once she sees where the massacre happened and that most the victims where children she knows that she has to stay. And as usual when Joe discovers the truth behind everything he goes wherever Eve is and will do whatever he has to do to keep her safe
    Margaret Yelton
    May 30, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
    I received this extended E-Preview of Smoke Screen by Netgalley in exchange for a fair and honest review.

Although this was only a preview of the actually book, Iris Johansen is one of my favorite authors. What I did read was only a appetitizer this truly looks like it is going to be another amazing Eve Duncan book. I can't wait to be able to read the full book. For those the love the Even Duncan series I believe this one will be a wonderful addition to the series, I would certainly recommend it
    Makea White
    Jun 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
    * I won this book in a giveaway*

Iris Johansen is one of my go to authors, therefore I was excited to win this book. I haven't read all of the books in the series but I have read a lot of them. Even though it is a part of series you can easily read it and not be lost In my opinion, this book took a different approach than earlier ones but I was not disappointed. While were times when I felt this book dragged a little I enjoyed this book overall.
    Ashley
    Jul 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
    Won a ARC of this new book through Goodreads.

I've read all of the Eve Duncan series by Iris Johansen. To be honest I've had a bit of readers fatigue with the Eve Duncan series, as of the last couple books. So i was pleasantly surprised when i picked this one up, and wasn't struggling to get through it. It captured my attention from the very beginning. It was a solid book, and i really enjoyed it.
    Heather
    Jun 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
    Iris Johansen delivers once again! Another Eve Duncan story nearly impossible to put down once you start. You'll be drawn to several new characters (that I hope we'll read more about in the future) in this gripping adventure. The only downside to how mesmerizing Iris' books are, is that we're anxiously awaiting the next one within days because we've finished the current one so quickly.
    Darlene
    Jun 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
    Another great Eve Duncan story by Iris Johansen!!! This book kept me interested from the first to last page. Great mystery with lots of surprises. I received my copy through goodreads first reads in exchange for my honest review.
    Rachel Stansel
    Jun 09, 2019 rated it liked it
    Another fast paced Eve book. I still cant like her dialogue but the stories are fun. Ok stand alone. Not much of Joe or the fam in this installment.

Full disclosure- I received a copy of the book from the publisher in exchange for an honest review.
    Dsbook
    Jun 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
    Another great read in the Eve Duncan series by Iris Johansen . I have read every book in this series and hope it never ends. I love keeping up with this family. EspeciallyMichele, I wonder about how his story will unfold
    Illustrious Illusions
    Jun 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
    Another great book with How & Eve! I love these characters and their travels! You could read this as a standalone for the most part. While some background is nice, the story stands on its own very well.
    Louisa
    Jun 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
    Another amazing book in this series! The mystery was interesting and there were some surprising elements! Loved getting to know some new characters like Jill and Novak!
    Heather Bennett
    Jun 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
    Iris Johansen is a fantastic author who just gets better with each book. Her characters are well developed and the storyline is fantastic. A must read for the year.
    Michelle Cable
    Apr 03, 2019
    Pam
    Apr 08, 2019
    Peggie Hadley
    rated it did not like it
    Jun 25, 2019
    nellie athey
    May 04, 2019
    Barbara
    Jun 04, 2019
    Iris Johansen is a New York Times bestselling author. She began her writing after her children left home for college. She first achieved success in the early 1980s writing category romances. In 1991, Johansen began writing suspense historical romance novels, starting with the publication of The Wind Dancer. In 1996 Johansen switched genres, turning to crime fiction, with which she has had great su ...more

Eve Duncan (1 - 10 of 25 books)
    • The Face of Deception (Eve Duncan, #1)
    • The Killing Game (Eve Duncan, #2)
    • The Search (Eve Duncan, #3)
    • Body of Lies (Eve Duncan, #4)
    • Blind Alley (Eve Duncan, #5)
    • Countdown (Eve Duncan, #6)
    • Stalemate (Eve Duncan, #7)
    • Quicksand (Eve Duncan, #8)
    • Blood Game (Eve Duncan, #9)
    • Eight Days To Live (Eve Duncan, #10)