Start by marking “Smokescreen (Eve Duncan, #25)” as Want to Read:
Smokescreen (Eve Duncan, #25)

Smokescreen

(Eve Duncan #25)

In this pulse-pounding thriller from #1 New York Timesbestselling author Iris Johansen, forensic sculptor Eve Duncan journeys to Africa to help families torn apart by a violent attack deep in the jungle -- but she may be putting herself in more danger than she knows.

A journalist shows up on Eve Duncan's doorstep with a plea for help. Jill Cassidy has just come from a small
Published July 30th 2019 by Grand Central Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Smokescreen, please sign up.
SassafrasfromAmazon This is Book #25 in the Eve Duncan series. I believe the confusion arose when “Vendetta” was listed. That book really belongs in the Catherine Ling se…moreThis is Book #25 in the Eve Duncan series. I believe the confusion arose when “Vendetta” was listed. That book really belongs in the Catherine Ling series by Johansen. The last 3 books in the E. Duncan series are:
Shattered mirror
Dark Tribute
Smokescreen.

Hope that clears things up. It confused me too.(less)

Start your review of Smokescreen (Eve Duncan, #25)
Kat Valentine
Aug 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Another fabulous eve Duncan thriller from the amazingly talented Iris Johansen! I've read every book in this series and love the twists and turns and the rollercoaster action always keeps me on the edge of my seat. I don't know how Johansen keeps coming up with such interesting storylines and great characters after so many years. I love meeting new people that become part of eve's world. With so many interesting new character's from the good guys like journalist Jill Cassidy to CIA agent jed nov ...more
Linda Strong
May 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
For those who are familiar with the series featuring Eve Duncan, forensic sculptor, you are in for a treat.

An investigative journalist shows up on Eve's doorstep begging for her help. She wants Eve to go to Africa, a war-torn jungle, to help identify 27 children who were massacred by guerilla soldiers.

But this journalist may have a different agenda ... one that puts Eve in more danger than she knows.

This is a preview only .... the complete novel will be available 7/9/19.

The first chapter grabbed
Magdalena aka A Bookaholic Swede
Eve Duncan is pretty much bullied into taking on a new case when journalist Jill Cassidy implores her to come to Africa with her to help parents of children killed in a massacre. They need closure and Eve is just the right one to do so with her knowledge of forensic sculptor. But, Jill has another motive and soon Eve will find herself is quite a lot of danger...

Smokescreen is one of those books that I really wanted to like, but ultimately the story failed for me because of some factors that I w
ⒶH-ℳℰⒾ ♔♚♛Queen Of The Fat Cats♛♚♔
DNF!!!!!This book spammed me on my feed as sponsored content so I opened the preview and hated it. Kiyanis? Maldara? Not for me! Ebook $14.99??? Are you f@cking kiddin me?????
Stop spamming me Goodreads!
For your information Goodreads reviews can be used to complain about the price of books. GR has a feature for purchases!!!
One thing is Goodreads recommending me a book based on my shelves and another thing is spamming me with overpriced new releases in my feed.
Donna Lewis
Aug 07, 2019 rated it it was ok
I found this book to be “too” much. Eve is just “too” good. Her son is “too” psychically connected to her. Her husband is “too” driven to protect her. The CIA’s Novak has “too” much power in order to manipulate Eve’s and her family’s schedules. The President of the Congo thinks she is descended from Cleopatra - “too” much a stretch for me. Jill is “too” smart/damaged/independent. I understand strong characters, but I feel that there was “too” much in this book.
Maybe it gets better, but I am stop
April Taylor
Jul 29, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: netgalley
I’ve enjoyed several Iris Johansen books in the past, including a few of the early Eve Duncan books. The Killing Game was a favorite of mine, so I was really looking forward to reading Smokescreen.

Unfortunately, I just couldn’t connect with Eve’s character this time. Yes, she had a reason to be mad, and yes, it’s great that she stands up for herself. But she was so unnecessarily rude/harsh while doing so - and on so many occasions - that reading her commentary started to feel like a chore. Nega
Donna Hines
A journalist arrives with one question- Help Jill find out who killed many people in a Guerilla attack in the jungle.
This plea for help may just be a cover up by Jill and it may just result in more lives being put in danger.
Zahra may be a person of interest in it all as there's an issue with some food poisoining and back door discussions.
Jill hired Eve as a reconstructionist in determining the final outcome.
Varak and Zolak are also two characters that are worthy to mention here as they both are
Watmom
Apr 22, 2019 rated it liked it
I won this book in a Goodreads giveaway.

Full disclosure: I have read a couple of Iris Johansen's books before but this was the first Eve Duncan book I read. To her credit, I didn't feel like I was lost because I didn't have a lot of the characters' back stories, nor did I feel like she was throwing in random background pieces in order to "catch me up". I've read books by other authors who have done this and it makes for some tedious reading.

The plot line itself was enough to keep my interest and
Bookgasms Book Blog
Jul 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ratula
Gah!! Smokescreen was everything I love in an Eve Duncan story and more!!! I have been a huge fan of the Eve Duncan series since the beginning and was just as obsessed with her hunt for Bonnie as she was. But as the series evolved and developed, so did the characters, individual depth and their passion for justice. I absolutely loved Eve and Joe in this story and could not stop reading!

Called to an exotic location in Africa by journalist Jill Cassidy, Eve is asked to reconstruct the skulls of sc
Leiba
Aug 17, 2019 rated it did not like it
I don't know why I keep forgetting that reading this author irritates me beyond belief due to her heavy reliance on ellipses (especially in the Kendra Michaels series). Not to mention overuse of particular expressions, notably "lips twisted" and "lips tightened," and far too many adverbs... I don't know, the story might be a good one, but I just can't get engaged with it because I'm so on edge with waiting for the next crutch. If I were someone who could abandon a started book, I would have done ...more
Sep 19, 2019 rated it it was ok
Disclosure: I won this book in a Goodreads giveaway.

This book was difficult to get through. While I have read and enjoyed many prior Eve Duncan stories, the subject matter of this one was unpleasant. There was a lot of manipulation throughout the book, and of course, Joe was protective and hovering.

The storyline was well put together and the character development of the secondary characters was well done. However, the whole premise of the book just did not resonate with me.

In short, well writte
MicheleReader
Jul 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
Once again Iris Johansen delivers an interesting, action-packed story that keep you engaged throughout. While this is part of a series, it isn’t essential to have read any of the prior books. Forensic sculptor Eve Duncan is lured to a small African village under false pretenses and finds herself in the middle of a deadly plot. Thanks to Goodreads for the ARC giveaway and to Grand Central Publishing.
Joan
Aug 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
Pulitzer-prize-winning journalist Jill Cassidy persuades Eve to travel to a small African jungle village where guerillas have killed most of the villagers, including an attack on a school where many children were murdered. But when Eve arrives in Maldara, she begins to suspect that there’s something more to Jill’s request for her to help identify the children. In a Robaku museum close to the site of the school massacre, Eve begins working on a reconstruction of one of the schoolchildren. But she ...more
Nursebookie
Aug 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is the first time I have read any books from Iris Johansen and I absolutely loved this as my first book. This is book 25 of the Eve Duncan series. This is an amazingly well written book with a very well crafted story line that quite relates to what is happening in the war torn area in the Congo.
The characters in this series and the supporting casts are phenomenally well written and exciting to read.

This story follows the main character Eve Duncan who was called to Africa by journalist Jill
Ann Moses
Feb 17, 2020 rated it did not like it
This is seriously one of the worst books I've ever read. The characters all sound like angry 7th graders vying to be the top bully. Totally unbelievable collection of alpha combat types who continually strive to one up each other and have the last word in repetitive, stilted, boring, senseless dialogue. Male and female characters equally unpleasant. The plot gets lost so many times. Do not bother.
If zero stars registered I'd give it zero.
SassafrasfromAmazon
4.5**. Iris Johansen continues to keep the Eve Duncan series fresh, even after Book #25. In this offering, Eve is persuaded by a strong, tenacious journalist, Jill Cassidy, to go to a war-torn country in Central Africa by telling her that there are 26 children who need to be identified through Eve’s forensic sculpting expertise. Since Jill has researched Eve and knows that she has a very soft spot for identifying children, Jill tells a harrowing story about children being burned alive in a schoo ...more
Barbara ★
I usually love these Eve Duncan stories but this one bored me as I simply have no interest in guerilla warfare in any country. I greatly disliked Zahra, Novak and even Jill. Every one of them was out for themselves and didn't give a hoot about who they hurt as long as they got their way. This is just not something I can get behind.

I look forward to further Eve adventures...hopefully in a less antagonistic environment and with more pleasant characters.
Tanya
Sep 21, 2020 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this book. It's a typical Iris Johansen book and I am a fan. There is nothing out of the ordinary or anything that stuck out for me but I did enjoy the story.
Alasandra Alawine
Aug 10, 2019 rated it liked it
OK I only gave it 3 stars because it felt formulaic Somebody manipulates Eve into putting herself in danger, Joe kills the danger. Same as the last 24 books...

I did enjoy catching up with my favorite characters and meeting new ones. The Kiyani angle was intriguing, I would have liked her to explore it further. I also enjoyed Dalai's character development and the romance between Novak and Jill. But to be honest I lost interest halfway through the book as it started to feel like the same material
Lori
Aug 04, 2019 rated it liked it
I liked this book better than the last few. However I was excited that it was going to be all about a reconstruction and then it wasn't! The story line was good but there is just too much drama and not enough about Eves real job , sending the lost ones home. So many words about how strong I am how my family needs me how I'll die without you how Ill do anything to protect my family, We know all that I want a good mystery without all this other crap. So be mad , it's the way I feel. Yes I'll proba ...more
Robin Loves Reading
For a complete series review - please see this Series Review on my blog -

In part, it says:

My overall rating of the series is Five Stars, with a couple of Three stars. The reason for the lower ratings when I did so was because most of the books have taken on an aspect that I do not enjoy, and that involves Eve being able to speak with her daughter Bonnie's ghost when she is highly stressed or in difficult situations. Sometimes it was due to her enactments w
Linda
Sep 22, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Linda/Vancouver/Langley BC This is a paperback novel written in 2019

Really found this book captivating. I had to keep reading until I got to the end sooner than soon. The first review here by Kat is very good. Really like forensic sculptor Eve Duncan and husband Joe a former Seal. Enjoyed news writer Jill, good guys Novak (Jill has a romance with Novak) and Gideon. The story is set in a small African village. The village has many people and children murdered with a machete by Varak and his army.
Micky Cox
Sep 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
Manipulated to do the reconstructions of children of a mass murder leads Eve to be caught in the midst of a deadly game between two deadly players! Once again the Eve Duncan series does not disappoint! Excellent characters that have been fully fleshed out enhance a twisted and vicious plot that entertains and keeps you on the edge of your seat! This series continues to be a top choice of must reads!
Marcia
May 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
Won an ARC of this book from a Goodreads giveaway

Once again, Iris Johansen doesn’t disappoint! I read on of the first Eve Duncan stories, and honestly didn’t feel like I’d missed a step. Riveting action - keeps you glued the entire time!
Joyce
Sep 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Another great thriller with Eve Duncan. This captured my interest from the
First chapter. It was an exciting thriller with action, drama, murder, strong
characters and a good plot admidst an African village and jungle. The
tension was high and kept you reading while on the edge of your seat.
Jill Cassidy was the reporter who brought Eve to Africa where so many
Children were killed. I recommend this book.
Beth
Sep 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
I like this author, AND her Eve Duncan character very much. I jump around but this is maybe my 4th of this series, of which there are 25....
Tamara Landrum
Mar 20, 2020 rated it it was ok
I have read all of the Eve books. The more I have read, the more I have come to the conclusion that I really, really don’t like Eve or her family. Nor do I understand why I torture myself by not giving up on this series. I can barely force myself to finish & there has only been one book in my entire life that I didn’t finish, Atlas Shrugged. ...more
Brandy
Sep 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Always love these books!! I loved the new characters in this book, along with the horrid bad guys. And the historical aspects were woven beautifully throughout. Excellent!!
Marsha
Oct 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
Another win!!
Linda Joplin
Oct 05, 2019 rated it liked it
My least favorite Eve Duncan book.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »

• Labyrinth (FBI Thriller #23)
  • Outfox
  • Deadlock
  • Vendetta in Death (In Death, #49)
  • Killer Instinct (Instinct #2)
  • Willing to Die (To Die, #8)
  • Paranoid
  • The Inn
  • Hidden Salem (Bishop/Special Crimes Unit #19)
  • Golden in Death (In Death, #50)
  • The 19th Christmas (Women's Murder Club, #19)
  • Sins of the Fathers (J.P. Beaumont #24)
  • Criss Cross (Alex Cross Book, #27)
  • Under Currents
  • The Stalking (Krewe of Hunters #29)
  • Blindside (Michael Bennett, #12)
  • The Last Second (A Brit in the FBI, #6)
  • The Seekers (Krewe of Hunters #28)
Iris Johansen is a New York Times bestselling author. She began her writing after her children left home for college. She first achieved success in the early 1980s writing category romances. In 1991, Johansen began writing suspense historical romance novels, starting with the publication of The Wind Dancer. In 1996 Johansen switched genres, turning to crime fiction, with which she has had great su ...more

Eve Duncan (1 - 10 of 26 books)
  • The Face of Deception (Eve Duncan, #1)
  • The Killing Game (Eve Duncan, #2)
  • The Search (Eve Duncan, #3)
  • Body of Lies (Eve Duncan, #4)
  • Blind Alley (Eve Duncan, #5)
  • Countdown (Eve Duncan, #6)
  • Stalemate (Eve Duncan, #7)
  • Quicksand (Eve Duncan, #8)
  • Blood Game (Eve Duncan, #9)
  • Eight Days To Live (Eve Duncan, #10)