Start by marking “The Dragon Thief” as Want to Read:
The Dragon Thief

The Dragon Thief

(Dragons in a Bag #2)

STEALING A BABY DRAGON WAS EASY! HIDING IT IS A LITTLE MORE COMPLICATED, IN THIS SEQUEL TO REVIEWER FAVORITE 'DRAGONS IN A BAG'.

Jaxon had just one job - to return three baby dragons to the realm of magic. But when he got there, only two dragons were left in the bag. His best friend's sister, Kavita, is a dragon thief!

Kavita only wanted what was best for the baby dragon. Bu
Published January 12th 2021 by Yearling Books (first published October 22nd 2019)

To ask other readers questions about The Dragon Thief, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Dragon Thief

Start your review of The Dragon Thief
Cande
Mar 02, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: middle-grade
This is so sad, because this is the sequel of Dragons on a bag, that I love. Following the events of book 1, Jaxon needs the help of his friends. There's also Kavita, a little troublemaker, and her own adventures with a baby dragon.

I just didn't find this book as cute as the first one. The story wasn't as charming and fun, a combination of bad plot and underdeveloped characters. There were so many things going on, some many important and heavy themes (like grief, gentrification and bulling). It
Nicole M. Hewitt
Kavita never meant to be a dragon thief, but when she realizes that the baby dragons have imprinted on her, she just can’t bring herself to let them all go. She soon realizes that this was a mistake and just wants to return them, but she needs her Aunty’s help. Meanwhile Ma has fallen ill, and Jaxon determines that he needs to return the dragon to its rightful home on his own in order to save her.

These books have wonderful themes of family that many kids will relate to–with blood family (Kavita
Barbara
Picking up right where its predecessor, Dragons in a Bag, left off, this engaging fantasy novel will capture the attention of plenty of intermediate readers. Kavita has stolen a dragon that she names Mo, but she has no idea how to take care of the creature or keep it hidden. It just keeps growing and growing. In desperation, she enlists the help of Aunty, her elderly relative, who seems to know a thing or two about dragons and magic. Together, they venture out of the house in order to send the d ...more
MissSusie
This story just gets better and better I can't wait for more books in this wonderful series!

The imagery, the characters, the world building, the diversity, oh I could go on and on about how fabulous this series is!

In addition to narrator Ron Butler we also added narrator Soneela Nankani and some new characters that truly fleshed this story out. The narration by these two is really great!

If there were more books in this series I would be reading them right now I look forward to book #3!

This is on
Kris Patrick
Jun 30, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I'm promoting Zetta! She is an Indiana State Literacy Association 2020 Conference Featured Speaker.

Here are her sessions:
Magic Is for Everyone: Writing Fantasy Fiction, 9/12, 9am ET
Poems to Heal the Heart: Writing Protest Poetry, 9/12, 11am ET
James Biser
Sep 16, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2020
This book is a fun adventure in the world of magic and dragons. The characters fight to save and protect the dragons and the world of witches and warlocks.
Earl
Jun 29, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I couldn't wait to start reading this sequel to Dragons in a Bag. With more characters and more danger, readers are sure to enjoy seeing if or how the stolen dragon is reunited with its siblings. I love the world Zetta Elliot has created and can't wait to read more of Jax's adventures! ...more
Jessica (Spooky KidLit & We Who Walk Here, Walk Alone)
"A week ago, a talking pigeon would have freaked me out. But over the past few days, I’ve encountered a very determined squirrel, actual dinosaurs, a talking rat, and three baby dragons. I’m learning to take it all in stride."

The Dragon Thief picks up right where Dragons in a Bag left off, with 9-year-old Brooklyn resident Jaxon searching the city for the missing dragon that he was supposed to return to the realm of magic in order to restore balance between our world and the world on the other s
Nannette Demmler
ARC provided by Random House Children’s via NetGalley for an honest review.
This second book in the series was just as sweet and adorable as the first one. The best part of this series is the diversity of the characters. The author also does a great job of weaving the different cultures of the main characters in to the narrative. This way kids are learning about these cultures and being entertained by the story as well.

We first met Kavita in book one, but she was a minor character. The younger si
Crystal
Review copy: Digital ARC via Netgalley

I was so excited to get my hands on this sequel to the wonderful Dragons in a Bag. There simply aren't enough dragon fantasies for the early chapter book readers. And it is truly awesome to see more Black magic and Black history on our shelves.

These children are young and get themselves into all kinds of difficult situations, but they work together to solve their problems. So much of the book is about being in community with one another, building bridges, an
Pam
I received an electronic ARC from Random House Children's Publishing through NetGalley.
Second in the series. This book picks up shortly after the first ends. The baby dragon left in our world has grown and won't fit in the small enclosure any longer. Kavita ends up telling her Aunty the whole story from stealing the dragon to the opening chapters. They set off on an adventure to help the dragon return home. Meanwhile, Jaxon is searching for a new gate and the missing dragon. His friend Vic gets
Liz Murray
What a joy!
I read this in one sitting after a busy day. I was quickly absorbed by the story, the second in a series that picks up right where the first one ended. Kavita, Jaxon, Vik, Aunty and Kenny jump off the page with themes of family and friendship. The dragon at the center of the story grows and grows every time it eats something sweet, so there's an element of race against time to get it back to the magic realm.
It's Brooklyn and Queens, but Brooklyn and Queens with dragons! A tension exi
Martha
Aug 11, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 3-6-fantasy
I was lucky enough to get an ARC of The Dragon Thief, the sequel to Dragons in a Bag. After reading the first, I was delighted to get to read the sequel. It does not disappoint, in fact because Jaxon's little sister is such a handful, the suspense grows with her impulsivity towards her stolen secret. In the first book, Jaxon her broher's friend is given 3 baby dragons to care for, AND return to their alternative world. When one goes missing he knows who the culprit is, his precocious best friend ...more
Rosie Rizk
Aug 04, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A perfect continuation.

Just as sweet and magical as the first book. Jax has to retrieve and return the missing dragon, but the portals are no longer working and something is wrong with the magic, causing Ma and all the other adults to be unable to assist him.

What I love about these books are its many colorful characters. Like Brooklyn, this book has a variety of people of different shades and colors, and shows how sometimes the oddest looking people can be the nicest and most helpful. Plus, I l
Stephan
Well, if I'd ignore fact that the author takes every opportunity to remind me that the main character is black, that almost every single supporting, strong willed and nice character is black, that black people have suffered quite a bit through out history and that slavery is bad, then I'd find this to be quite an interesting and exciting fantasy story.
As it stands I do like the story, it is thrilling, have some memorable characters both of the kind you really like and those you'll despise, but
Nadia L. Hohn
Jan 04, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Adorable, fun, cute, and adventurous. I love this second instalment of the Dragons in a Bag series. I like how Zetta used Brooklyn, its subways, and changing demographic as a backdrop. The story continues from the first novel in which one dragon goes missing thanks to a thief. I also like the introductions of new characters Aunty, Kenny, Blue, and others. There is an element of scariness in this book but not too much for young readers. I also love how Jaxon’s little crew has expanded and the boo ...more
Steve
Jun 09, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
These are the kinds of honest heroes and fresh, diverse voices that I want my children to hear and be inspired by as they grow in this world. This sequel to Dragons in a Bag does not quite reach the level of its predecessor in plot, but it gives voice to characters with so much heart and so much...character that you can’t NOT listen to them and accompany them on their journey. Elliott so deftly points out that diversity in our society encompasses different races, ethnicities, cultures, genders, ...more
Jennybeast
Strong sequel to the first book, with alternating points of view between Jax and Kavita. Some really interesting new characters, and I particularly love how the elders continue to be full of tricks and totally worthy of the respect that the kids feel compelled to show.

A couple of weak points -- some of the action is hard to follow, particularly after Kavita runs into Blue. Also, while the book pretty well stands on it's own, there are bits of really confusing dialogue between Sis and Jax that k
Katie Reilley
Jul 07, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Picking up right where Dragons in a Bag left off, this sequel is told in dual POV (Jaxon & Kavita). Kavita has stolen one of the baby dragons that Jaxon was supposed to return to the magic realm, thinking it was what was best for it. Now that Mo is getting bigger and bigger, she can’t really keep this secret herself. She enlists Aunty (who seems to know a thing or two about magic) to help.

With plenty of new characters and a returning cast from book one, this fantasy sequel will be a hit with mi
Sara I
Dec 23, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A fun, fantastical story featuring diverse characters to represent that diverse world we live in! It is a book that I would have loved as a younger reader both because of seeing non-white characters and also for the dragon on the cover! Well, I still love it for both of those reasons today but it would have had quite the impact on me then, as I am sure it is for many middle grade readers now in the present day.
Mya R
You need to have read the first book, Dragons in a Bag, for this one to make sense. Otherwise most of the characters aren’t explained.

Includes messages about paying attention to those around us, as maybe they have qualities we have missed.

Content warning for mention of the unexpected death of a parent.
Katie
This jumps in exactly where the last story ended with no transition, making it more difficult to keep up with characters and plot. I thought this did the best when it highlighted African American history in a very natural way (many times authors include the educational bits and it comes out didactic, this was quite well done and very interesting), but really struggled with making the fantasy something you could follow.
Avigail
Jan 17, 2021 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4.5 stars.
This book was excellent. The character development is extremely well done, and I appreciate how it opened up a window for me to other cultures. The main character is highly introspective and the book is filled with positive lessons about dealing with life. It is a direct continuation of Dragons in a Bag, and brings that book to a satisfying resolution while also adding and resolving additional threads of its own.
Josephine Burks
Mar 09, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Loved it! I enjoyed reading about the diverse characters and loved how this picked up from the previous book. I now have to research more about African slavery in India, will definitely be recommending this book to my daughters who are looking for more challenging books to read than leveled readers at school.
Katie
Apr 07, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was not as engaging as the first in the series. The main characters didn't really do anything that made a difference. I thought a lot of the descriptions were long, which isn't the greatest for a children's book.

I did like the diversity of the cast, the illustrations, and the setting(s).
Alana
This series is delightful. A fun story with a well-developed plot and characters. Diversity in race, age, gender, culture--and more!--are all represented beautifully and authentically. None of the characters are tokenized or there to "tick a box."
I love getting to the end of a read-aloud with my kids, and they immediately and hopefully ask, "Is there another one?"
Ellon
Aug 29, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is turning out to be a pretty cute fantasy series involving Black characters (which is refreshing to see). It took me a bit to get into this book. I felt like Jax should have been able to get the dragon faster so I was a little annoyed in the beginning. But I got over it and ended up enjoying the story. I think I liked the first one a little more.
Peggy Dynek
Dec 26, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Magic continues to abound in Brooklyn, as we continue to follow Jaxon and the baby dragon. This story takes place in Brooklyn rather than in magical kingdoms. Elliott has created another story with friends and family as a focal point. The shorter length includes all levels of readers. Fantastic fantasy entry.
MayorEmma
earc from netgalley.

it was alright, but it wasn't anything special and it seems like it is a little younger middle grade book, but if someone likes a sweet, not overly scary dragon book, this would be one for you.
Dax
Zetta is killing it! I love this world; the magical mixed with honest historical atrocities is a brilliant way to teach kids about the past & current racial atrocities perpetuated against people of color.

• Klawde: Evil Alien Warlord Cat (Klawde: Evil Alien Warlord Cat, #1)
  • Beatrice Zinker, Upside Down Thinker
  • Strongheart: Wonder Dog of the Silver Screen
  • Mañanaland
  • Class Act (New Kid, #2)
  • Tiny Stitches: The Life of Medical Pioneer Vivien Thomas
  • Guts
  • Children of Virtue and Vengeance (Legacy of Orïsha, #2)
  • American Dirt
  • Spark
  • Click (Click, #1)
  • Operation Frog Effect
  • Merci Suárez Changes Gears
  • Inkling
  • These Healing Hills
  • Rock Star (Jada Jones, #1)
  • One Time
  • Closer to Nowhere
I’m a Black feminist writer of poetry, plays, essays, novels, and stories for children. I was born and raised in Canada, but have lived in the US for 20 years. I earned my PhD in American Studies from NYU in 2003; I have taught at Ohio University, Louisiana State University, Mount Holyoke College, Hunter College, Bard High School Early College, and Borough of Manhattan Community College. My poetry ...more

Dragons in a Bag (2 books)
  • Dragons in a Bag (Dragons in a Bag #1)