Start by marking “Camilla, Cartographer” as Want to Read:
Camilla, Cartographer

Camilla, Cartographer

2019 Ezra Jack Keats Book Award Nominee

​A Bank Street College Best Book of the Year

Camilla loves maps. Old ones, new ones, she loves them all! She often imagines what it must have been like to explore and discover a new path for the first time. One morning, Camilla wakes up to a huge snow storm. Her neighbor Parsley can't find the path to the creek. But Camilla has her ol
Published October 8th 2019 by Magination Press

To ask other readers questions about Camilla, Cartographer, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Camilla, Cartographer

Start your review of Camilla, Cartographer
Ms. B
Jul 17, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: childrens, 2020, picture
Even though children will learn a little bit about making maps and the importance of them, this one will work best as a picture book.
Kathryn
Sep 04, 2020 rated it really liked it
Charming book! I loved the writing style, the adorable illustrations, and the message that there is always something new to discover ("not everything has been mapped"). I do wish that the story spent a bit more time showing *how* Camilla made the map (that part felt a bit glossed over) but it still does a good job with the idea of spatial awareness, how to read a map, and how maps are useful. This would make a great book for a snowy day as children can then head outside and make their own trails ...more
Robin Yardi
Jun 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Camilla Cartographer is a delightful book about finding your way, even when it’s not on any map!

I loved how the book chronicled Camilla’s transformation from a collector of maps to a creator of them. The story illustrates the beautiful moment of transition that kids go through again and again as they grow, from knowing to doing. From dreaming to being. This story is sure to appeal to kids moving toward mastery in all sorts of skills. And who doesn’t like making maps?
N
Jul 16, 2021 rated it really liked it
I received this book as a donation from the publisher for my Stags Read program. All copies will go to students in their book deliveries.

This is an adorable book about discovery and observation. I love the extra activities in the back. This would be great for a summer reading program read-aloud because it invites inclusive, simple, low-tech and few supply activity and imagination.
Sharon
Camilla the boar is fascinated by maps, and when snow covers the path, she uses her skills to create a map for her friend to use to find her way home.
Cindy Mitchell *Kiss the Book*

Camilla, Cartographer by Julie Dillemuth, illustrated by Laura Wood. PICTURE BOOK. Magination Press (American Psychological Association), 2019. $17. 9781433830334

BUYING ADVISORY: EL (K-3) - OPTIONAL

AUDIENCE APPEAL: AVERAGE

Camilla, a warthog, loves her box full of maps, old and new. As much as maps bring her joy, she is also sad that everything has been explored and mapped already. So when the snow is so deep it covers all the trails, Camilla realizes this is her chance to chart new paths.

This
Danielle Dufayet
Oct 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
It was love at first sight when I saw Camilla on the cover of this book. Filled with delightful alliteration and exciting exploration, Camilla Cartographer shows us how to be brave when we think we've lost our way. I love her confidence and optimism when she and Parsley get lost in the snow. She plows through by taking matters into her own hooves and makes her own path. This empowering message will surely give kids the confidence they need should they ever feel a bit disoriented out in the woods ...more
Jj
Jan 06, 2020 rated it really liked it
Pretty cool! I love that this is a picture book story about cartography, starring a boar and a porcupine. The story is fun and believable, and talks about mapmaking and spatial thinking in a way that is accessible and not contrived. This would be great to use as part of a lesson plan or just a fun open-ended mapmaking program in a classroom or library.
Jody Cornelius
Jan 22, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Very cute book about spatial awareness. Gives a good introduction to map and compass use, finding your way, or finding new ways. Exploring is still possible, but it's important to do it safely, and be aware of what you are doing and where you are going. ...more
Kim
May 11, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture, maps
A nice introduction to map-making. Camilla is a collector of maps, but she is said b/c there is no new territories to map. However, one night it snowed a lot and she made a map based on what she saw as undiscovered territory.
Pinky
Mar 04, 2021 rated it liked it
Kari
May 11, 2021 rated it it was amazing
This book is a fantastic mix of Winnie the Pooh style animal antics and Peter the snow adventurer. My daughter and I loved it. I asked my daughter if she’d like to be a cartographer and she said no, she wants to be an astronaut and I said, why not map space, and now she has a new dream. <3
Crystal
Review copy via publisher. Review to come.
Edward Sullivan
Jun 26, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Celebrating a love for adventure and discovery.
Mary Norell Hedenstrom
Camilla makes a map to help her friend find her way after a snowstorm with their usual signposts masked with snow.
Connie T.
Camilla, a boar, and her friend Parsley, a porcupine, map the way to the creek after a snowstorm covers the terrain and hides all their familiar landmarks.
Leslie Marley
Dec 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
This should inspire a fun discussion about maps so perhaps have a map ready to show the children where they are located and what their surrounding look like on the map.
Lynn
Dec 16, 2019 rated it liked it
Celebrating mapping and discovery. Nice group of suggested related activities at the end.
Cheri
Dec 25, 2019 rated it liked it
A good book to help teach kids what a cartographer does.
Ms Threlkeld
Jan 26, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Cute resource when teaching younger students about maps.
Audrey Sauble
Jan 27, 2020 rated it it was amazing
We love this story! It's a fun, sweet read and a great story about outdoor exploration (and map-making, of course!) ...more
Casey Rislov
Apr 09, 2020 rated it it was amazing
We love this book as what fun is it to create your own maps! The illustrated characters are adorable and I think it is an adventurous inspiration for young children!
Miss Sarah
Apr 13, 2020 rated it liked it
Two animal friends go on a map making adventure during a snowstorm and determine all the maps in the world haven't been made yet. Inspiring and cute. Preschool and up ...more
phil breidenbach
I love maps, I had to read this! Kids need to understand there are more ways to get around besides their phones! I'll be getting this for my grandson! ...more
Michele Smith
Jul 11, 2020 rated it really liked it
Adorable story that encourages children's desire for exploration and discovery. ...more
Veronica Lebedev
Sep 09, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: concept-books
An adorable story of Camilla as she tries to map out a path to the creek with her friend. Fun activities are included at the end for parents to do with their kids.
Sep 11, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Useful as a story/lesson combo in a classroom.
Robin
Oct 28, 2020 rated it really liked it
Sweet little story about the joys of mapmaking. Great curriculum complement. Recommended for ages 5-9.
Peacegal
Dec 04, 2020 rated it liked it
Not too many books star warthogs, and even fewer star warthogs who love making maps! This cute book would be a fun read-aloud for kids just learning about or creating their own maps.
Kris Dersch
Apr 15, 2021 rated it really liked it
How cute and sweet is she??? I share with Camilla a love of maps and I appreciated her collection, her dilemma, everything about it. Cute extension activities in the back for kids. What a cute book.

• When Aidan Became A Brother
  • Prince & Knight (Prince & Knight, #1)
  • I Talk Like a River
  • Don't Hug Doug (He Doesn't Like It)
  • Oona
  • Be You!
  • Leave Me Alone!
  • On Account of the Gum
  • We All Play
  • When Pencil Met Eraser
  • One Fox: A Counting Book Thriller
  • Magnificent Homespun Brown: A Celebration
  • The Couch Potato (The Bad Seed, #4)
  • All the Ways to be Smart
  • Our Favorite Day
  • Because I'm Your Dad
  • Eyes That Kiss in the Corners
  • The Old Truck
See top shelves…
Photo by Renate von Mangoldt

News & Interviews

When it comes to writing, Jocelyn Johnson is about that life.    The Virginia native—born, bred, and wed—has had aspirations of being a...