Start by marking “Goblins and Snowflakes” as Want to Read:
Goblins and Snowflakes

Goblins and Snowflakes

Never bargain with goblin men.
Scarlette Rossetti thought her stay at Strawberry Hill Castle during the Christmas holiday would pass by uneventfully. She couldn't have been more wrong. Enticed by the delights of the nearby village of Twickenham, Scarlette's life would change in unimaginable ways.

She never expected to be drawn magnetically to The Two Sisters Doll Shop and
Published November 13th 2018 by Clockpunk Press

To ask other readers questions about Goblins and Snowflakes, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Goblins and Snowflakes

Start your review of Goblins and Snowflakes
Mandie
Nov 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
This was another great steam punk fairy tale from the mind of Melanie Karsak. Her writing is wonderfully unique. She brings all her fairy tales to life with such adventure. Each one is hard to put down!
Elysian Fields
Nov 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
I really don't think you can get better then this author for amazing, safe, and fun reads. I loved this story based on the Elves and the Shoemaker. It was such a fun retelling. I loved the way the main character, Miss Scarlette Rossetti, was both intelligent, caring but also adventurous. Her heart was so big and it made the story that much more enjoyable. I loved the holiday spirit that was involved, but also the Goblins!

It introduced the reader the the creation (in part) of the Red Cape
Saundra Wright
Nov 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is another wonderful steampunk fairy tale from Melanie Karsak. The setting is familiar to fans, an earlier time in the world of the Red Cape society. Did you ever wonder about the Rude Mechanicals? Now is your chance to spend an exciting Christmas with them! Read this now. If you haven’t already been immersed in the Steampunk Red Riding Hood series by this author this would be a great prequel!

Scarlette Rossetti has been visiting her uncle at Strawberry Hill, his estate, for the holiday
Melissa Dinwiddie
Nov 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The Start of the Red Cape Society!

Melanie Karsak has created a steampunk universe where historical figures, like Horace Walpole, interact with fictional ones, and where — hallelujah! — women have career options and are treated with the same respect as men (at least by the men who matter.) It makes for a particularly delightful escape fantasy.

This installment takes place a generation or so before the Clemeny (Little Red Riding Hood) series, and tells the story of how the Red Cape Society came
Charlotte
Not to be read on an empty stomach! The first chapter had me salivating with all the descriptions of the goods at the bakery! Yum!

This is definitely one to get you in the Christmas spirit, set on the run up to and Christmas day itself, with a key theme of giving. An interesting steampunk twist on the Elves and the Shoemaker tale as well as an absolute delight for fans of Rossetti’s Goblin Market.

I’ve not read any of Karsak’s work before but this really captured my imagination. I’ll certainly be
Monica
Nov 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
I love these novellas from Melanie. Every time I read one I never want to leave. If you have read any of her other Steampunk Fairy Tales, you will love this. If you have not this is a great place to start as this happens before a lot of the other books. Scarlette is a great character with a big heart and a brilliant mind. Archie is a perfect match for her. It was also nice to get a pick inside R.M. as you only get a glimpse from the outside in the other books, you get more of inside look in this ...more
The Mysterious Reader
Dec 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I love Scarlette Rossetti, the heroine in Melanie Karsak’s Goblins and Snowflakes, and the marvelous steampunk universe that the novel inhabits. This is a wonderful holiday treat with a perfect plot and really beautifully crafted cast of characters. Truly enjoyable and just what any steampunk fan needs for the holiday season. But for the fact that I’m literally dictating this review to my husband from my hospital bed I could go on and on with praises. The book definitely deserves it. Since I can ...more
Talia Colley
As a reader of several of Karsak's other books, this was a fun prequel that gave hints as to how things developed in the series that are already published. This was a nice, warm and fuzzy Christmas tale with a little romance thrown in and as always with some steampunk elements to give me that sci-fi feel that I need. Very enjoyable!
Renee Arthur
Nov 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Scarlett thought her visit with her uncle Horace would be boring, but it certainly wasn't. Never one to be idle, she fell in love with the town of Twickenham and made several friends. From helping the twin sisters in their doll and toy shop to helping a family in need, Scarlett is thoroughly enjoying herself and finding out that she really likes tinkering with things. Uncle Horace has friends coming to visit during part of the Christmas season and Scarlett is happy to meet them, especially one ...more
Kaye
ONE FASCINATING ADVENTURE!!!
Oh my! Talk about a walk on the wild side. I loved this little jewel. This is one exciting, action packed, fast paced, heart pounding, pulse racing, page turning bombshell that's as riveting as it is captivating. All the twists and turns, unexpected circumstances and unpredictable surprises around every corner make for incredible experience. The drama, mystery, magic and suspense steadily increases and tension thickens keeping you frozen to your seat and sole focus on
Christina Morley
Nov 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is a sweet steampunk fairy tale retelling of the classic The Elves and The Shoemaker. 18-year-old Scarlette is staying with her honorary uncle during the Christmas season near Twickenham. Her uncle is scholarly and reclusive, but she has a curious mind and spends a lot of her time in town. She has a generous spirit. She's also not idle and puts her mind to work. But all of her energy and curiosity get her into trouble. This is a jaunty tale with interesting characters, sinister goblins, and ...more
Ami
This is my first book from Melanie Karsak -- and I picked up this novella simply because one of my favorite authors, Bec McMaster, put the cover of this book on her Pinterest account. I thought the cover was pretty, and I was intrigued with this steampunk retelling of Grimm's The Elves and the Shoemaker

Scarlette Rossetti is a great heroine! She's kindhearted -- she helps the people at Twickenham, including the dollmakers and a seamstress widow. But she's also very smart and resourceful -- the
Jen
Dec 18, 2019 rated it it was ok
2 stars feels a little harsh to me, but there wasn't a whole lot going for this book.

Usually I reserve a 2 star rating for books that are badly written, which isn't necessarily the case for this, but there just wasn't anything happening until over halfway through the book.

For a story that is only 100 or so pages, something needs to happen before I read 50% of it.

And another thing, this is supposed to be a retelling of The Elves and The Shoemaker with a little bit of Goblin Market by Christina
Karlene Browning
Jan 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
Melanie Karsak is hit or miss for me. She's mostly hit, but sometimes I find a book that I don't care for at all. This was not that. I really liked this one. It's sort of a steampunk fairy tale, with some loose ties to Red Riding Hood and The Shoemaker and the Elves, but with it's own twists. And it's also a love story.

Very good. It also introduces us to the Red Cape Society which shows up in some of her other books.

Recommended to readers who like light steampunk and fairy tale retellings.
RPaul
Dec 02, 2019 rated it liked it
I’ve Read This before!

It read very well until I saw Rosetti’s poem of “the Goblin Market” being used. Then I paid attention to other references. The Elves and the Shoemaker was one of my childhood’s favorite stories. There are reference to Tolkien’s light killing trolls. It is good that she acknowledges the borrowing. I kept ‘thinking I read this before, just not in this book. I liked the story(s). I just didn’t know it was proper to use others folks creativity for one’s own profits. Hmmm!
Patrick
May 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Goblins are untrustworthy

This is a nice cautionary tale about the dangers of making a deal with a Goblin. I know that I'll avoid any goblin negotiations going forward. The stories in this universe are dark and dangerous sometimes but are entertaining as all get out. This one is no exception. It's one of the backstory novels to the Red Cape series and the circle that created them.

For me the Rude Mechanicals are one of the best steam punk societies that I've read. This is always a good universe to
RayJay
Dec 01, 2018 rated it liked it
I liked this book. Karsak's steampunk universe is always a fun place to escape to. But although this book is supposed to be a unique retelling of the Shoemaker and the Elves, I could not get The Nutcracker out of my head. Wizened old man gives girl the means to make a toy come to life? Totally Nutcracker. And I would have really enjoyed an ending where Scarlette's toy gnomes spring to life and defend her against the Goblin King, like the Nutcracker fought against the Rat King. Oh well. Still a ...more
Donna
Nov 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I LOVED this story!! Giving a glimpse at the Rude Mechanicals and seeing the very birth of the Red Capes was awesome, but even for those who haven't read any of the author's stories before (what have you been doing with your life?!) this is a great story that you'll enjoy. A steampunk retelling of the Elves and the Shoemaker with a nod to Christina Rossetti's The Goblin Market too, you get double-bubble in this lovely Christmas fairytale. Now go read it... And then all her other books too!!
Diane
Nov 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
I received an ARC and I am providing my honest review. A retelling of the elves and the shoemaker. I love the way Melanie Karsak spins fairytales. Instead of elves she uses gnomes dolls and has her main character Scarlette turn them into automatons. Now you add in a new beau and some goblin merchants. A truly enjoyable read that was hard to put down. Enjoyed learning how the red-cape society started.
Ken Robson
Nov 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I hadn't read The Elves and The Shoemaker, so was unaware of the base of the story. But that didn't stop me enjoying this book.
It is set further back in time than her normal books in the Red Cape Society, detailing the foundation of the group.
Set in Twickenham just before Xmas, with Earl Walpole's castle being the base. Scarlette enjoys visiting the town and the local people, especially the town's toy makers.
A fast and enjoyable read.
William Hardman
Apr 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Spirit of Christmas

My book choices of late have become somewhat boring , by chance I saw one of Melanie s books on Amazon ,Wolves and daggers , and I have been reading for a week.
I love these books and recommend them to all fans of streamline ,fantasy, and adventure books in general .
Great yourselves all and a Merry Christmas , even if it is April
Jack Webb
Aug 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
Magical Imagination

Once again, Ms. Karsak has brought her prodigious imagination to light in this retelling of a Christmas tale. And as an added bonus, fleshed out some history of her steampunk universe.

Fair warning, you probably won't be able to look at lawn gnomes the same again...
Ivana Howcroft
Apr 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
What I love about Karsak books besides the well written main story ( and not just retell of old fairy tale)- it’s well build realm. Each book or short novella adding more layers to this Steampunk realm! In Goblins and Snowflakes we have Christmas gathering in Horace Walpole castle . And a glimpse of original crew of Rude Mechanicala and creation of Red Capes Society !
Becca
Dec 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Delightful Christmas Read

This was my first introduction to Melanie Karsak and her retold fairy tales, and I hope to read more in the series. I enjoyed it very much. The author has created likeable characters in creative circumstances with a light touch of whimsy and romance dusted like winter snow throughout.
Kristina
Nov 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A delightful tale

I’m unfamiliar with the author and this steampunk world alluded to throughout, but I’m hooked! and look forward to reading of the Rude Mechanicals.
This tale was quaint and lovely in its setting, and smart and refined in its characters. A short read I highly recommend.
Kellie
What a surprise gem I found in this novella. I was enchanted from the first chapter. I loved Scarlette and the steampunk aspect as well as the fairy tale aspect. I'm very pleased to have discovered this author and I'm looking forward to reading more!
Kris
Love this author!

I absolutely love this world that Melanie Karsak has created! The stories are interesting and mysterious with fantasy and whimsy, all woven along with a bit of steampunk flare, and the characters run the same. Keep them coming! I will read Every. Single. One.
Trista
Dec 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: owned
Magical!

A wonderful story, and the perfect timd of year to read it! I thought the characters were very enchanting! This is the first book I've read of Melanie's, and I shall definitely be purchasing more! If you love fairy tales and magic, this book is for you!
Elizabeth
Nov 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ku, fantasy, christmas
I would never have thought to do a Goblin Market/Elves and the Shoemaker crossover, but this really works! If you are looking for a little steampunk to get you in the mood for Christmas, this is a winner! So cute!
June
I thoroughly enjoyed it!

A magical tale full of holiday cheer in a special small English village. Very evocative and heart-warming! Complete with a happy ending, but leaves you wanting more.

• The Chancellor Fairy Tales Boxed Set: Books 1-3
  • A Snowflake at Midnight (Elemental Steampunk Tales, #4)
  • The Glass Mermaid (The Chancellor Fairy Tales, #1)
  • Pathways (Kingdom Chronicles, #1)
  • Stars are Brightly Shining: A Magical Holiday Collection
  • The Cupcake Witch (The Chancellor Fairy Tales, #2)
  • Clara's Soldier: A Retelling of the Nutcracker
  • Rebellious Hood (Red Hood Chronicles Book 4)
  • Ravening Hood (Red Hood Chronicles Book 3)
  • Righteous Hood: An Urban Fantasy Fairy Tale (Red Hood Chronicles Book 5)
  • Relinquished Hood (Red Hood Chronicles Book 2)
  • Reluctant Hood (Red Hood Chronicles Book 1)
  • Blending In (A Magical Romantic Comedy (with a body count), #6)
  • Defender Cave Bear (Protection, Inc: Defenders, #1)
  • Purls and Potions (Vampire Knitting Club #5)
  • The Beast and the Beauty (Reversed Retellings, #2)
  • The Whisper of Silenced Voices (After The Rift #3)
  • The Bee Charmer (The Chancellor Fairy Tales, #3)
New York Times and USA Today bestselling author Melanie Karsak is the author of The Airship Racing Chronicles, The Harvesting Series, The Celtic Blood Series, Steampunk Red Riding Hood, and Steampunk Fairy Tales. A steampunk connoisseur, zombie whisperer, and heir to the iron throne, the author currently lives in Florida with her husband and two children. She is an Assistant Professor of English ...more