Start by marking “Girls Like Us” as Want to Read:

Girls Like Us

From the celebrated and bestselling author of The Banker's Wife, worlds collide when an FBI agent investigates a string of grisly murders on Long Island that raises the impossible question: What happens when the primary suspect is your father?

FBI Agent Nell Flynn hasn't been home in ten years. Nell and her father, Homicide Detective Martin Flynn, have never had much of a r
Expected publication: July 2nd 2019 by G.P. Putnam's Sons

Win a Copy of This Book

Release date: Jul 02, 2019
    Enter for a chance to win one of 100 advance reading copies of GIRLS LIKE US!

From the celebrated and bestselling author of The Banker's Wife, worlds

Format: Print book

Giveaway ends in: a

Availability: 100 copies available, 2981 people requesting

Giveaway dates: Apr 07 - Apr 21, 2019

Countries available: U.S.

• Friend Reviews

To ask other readers questions about Girls Like Us, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Girls Like Us

Chris
    Feb 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
    “Girls Like Us is something special: A beautiful, deeply textured novel and a poignant, surprising mystery. I loved it, every chapter and every word. I’m going to be thinking about it as a reader, a father, and a storyteller for a long, long time.”
    Andrea
    Feb 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
    I was lucky to read an early copy of Girls Like Us. The plot in this book is simply brilliant. I cannot say enough good things. I was on edge of seat, worried about characters and had to finish in one-read. As much as I liked Alger's prior books, I have to say that Girls Like Us takes her writing to a new level. Rush to pre-order this one!
    Lori Enterline
    Apr 12, 2019 rated it really liked it

Girls Like Us is a gripping, gritty and raw thriller set in Suffolk County, New York, where the disparity between rich and poor is sharply drawn. The characters are complex and interesting, and the main character, Nell Flynn, is so compelling that this could be the start of a series. Riveting and engaging from start to finish, this book will appeal to fans of the thriller genre, as well as anyone who likes police procedurals or strong, yet flawed, female protagonists, which is sort of my jam. I
    Bandit
    Apr 07, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
    A steady diet of mixed genre reading can’t well avoid a female authored female driven thriller for long since they are everywhere. This time it was more of a police procedural, though, so…refreshing. Kinda. Alger’s protagonist is an FBI agent Nell Flynn. Technically on leave from work, but never really off the job as it were. She comes back to Long Island to bury her father a local police detective, and finds herself assisting in solving a local murder, potentially work of a serial killer. Sudde ...more
    Donna Hines
    Apr 09, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
    Shelves: arc, netgalley
    Interesting! Unique! Strong Female Protagonist! Excellent Plot Driven Suspense!
    FBI agent Nell has never truly seen eye to eye with her father Homicide Detective Martin Flynn.
    Her mother Marisol was brutally murdered when she was a child and she's never truly been herself since this tragedy.
    After she loses her father, she gets an unusual request from his partner, one that will alter the remaining course of events.
    As she investigates the murder of two young women she realizes Suffolk County has qui
    Natalie
    Mar 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing
    This is a riveting mystery, which totally engaged me from start to finish. Set in Suffolk County, Long Island, it deals with so many timely issues told within the framework of a fascinating thriller.

Nell Flynn, on leave from her job in the Behavioral Analysis Unit of the FBI, returns to her unhappy home to bury her policeman father, killed in a motorcycle crash. She is greeted by his police buddies and soon a corpse found nearby. Despite being on leave, she quickly becomes involved in a murder
    Tucker (TuckerTheReader)

Many thanks to Putnam for sending me a copy in exchange for an honest review

| Goodreads | Blog | Twitch | Pinterest |
    Alison
    Apr 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
    Thanks to Christina Alger, Penguin Group/Putnam, and Netgalley for providing me with a digital advance copy of this novel. I loved this book - a layered, beautifully written, complicated mystery that kept me guessing and hooked until the last page. I particularly enjoyed all of the strong, smart female characters. I was sorry for it to end! Highly recommend this novel! I look forward to reading more from this author in the future.
    Katie Taylor
    Apr 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
    4.5 stars from me!!

To be completely honest and transparent, I know this author, I was a fan of hers before I met her after reading The Bankers Wife, so with all of that said, let’s jump in!

Girls Like Us is set on Long Island, NY, a place near and dear to my heart so my connection to the book was instantaneous - isn’t it amazing how that can happen when you’re so familiar with a books setting?

The book starts when FBI agent Nell Flynn has to return home, a place she hasn’t been in ten years, t
    Brooke
    Apr 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
    The Banker's Wife was one of my favorites last year, and Alger knocked it out of the park again with this tale of intrigue with female FBI officer Nell Flynn heading home in the wake of her father's death - where she stumbles into a case like none other. Alger's strong female characters are refreshing in this genre and keep me coming back for more.

Many thanks to Edelweiss+, the author, and the publisher for providing me with a copy of this book in exchange for an unbiased review.
    Shkolnikjx
    Apr 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
    An excellent thriller! Kudos to the writer for bringing the characters to life, and for making the plot so fascinating. I enjoyed the book very much and woul love to read more by this talented author.
    Laura Yamin
    Mar 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing

This book is a going to be in my summer reading guide.

I read this book in one sitting because I couldn’t put it down, I wanted to know what happened to the girls, I wanted to see how they took down the police department. This book was a page turner.

What I love about this book it featured a strong female protagonist. The characters were well developed.
    Cathy
    Abby
    Apr 04, 2019
    Heather Bennett
    Apr 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
    Girls Like Us was a engrossing thriller that I could not put down. The book was written well and the characters were well developed. I would recommend this book to read.
    A Prather
    rated it it was ok
    Feb 21, 2019
    Scott
    Apr 09, 2019 is currently reading it
    I'm reading this for an interview with the author
    Katherine Mary
    Feb 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
    Riley Sager, author of The Last Time I Lied wrote of Cristina Alger’s new novel, “Instantly gripping and compulsively readable, with a heroine as vulnerable as she is tenacious”.

Earlier this year, I read The Banker’s Wife by Cristina Alger and was blow away by its story. Strong female protagonist. Check. Intense suspense. Check. Beautiful prose. Check. She has done it again, folks! What a complicated, beautiful set mystery/thriller!

Girls Like Us is a novel set in Suffolk County, New York. I’m a