Start by marking “Love Around the Corner (New Milton #1.5)” as Want to Read:
Love Around the Corner (New Milton #1.5)

Love Around the Corner

(New Milton #1.5)

"Gorgeously romantic and utterly charming, Love Around the Corner is the perfect way to while away a couple of hours on a winter afternoon" -- All About Romance

Real life enemies, online lovers. Two lonely men, destined for each otherif only they knew it.

Alfie Carter grew up in New Milton, caring for his sick father and keeping their auto repair shop on its feet. Hes touchy
Published November 29th 2018

To ask other readers questions about Love Around the Corner, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Love Around the Corner

Start your review of Love Around the Corner (New Milton #1.5)
~✡~Dαni(ela) ♥ ♂♂ love & semi-colons~✡~
~4.5~

I love this story most ardently.

Even though the plot hinges on a Big Secret one MC keeps from the other, a trope I typically despise, I understood Leo's dilemma.

Leo and Alfie get off on the wrong foot and harbor ill will toward one another for the better part of a year. They're both hurt and resentful.

When Leo figures out there's more to Alfie than his misplaced apostrophes, he's paralyzed with fear and indecision. He never expected Alfie, a simple mechanic, to be the man of his dreams.

Judith

And,

One sassy,nerdy bookstore owner

Real Life Enemies,

Online Lovers,

You won't want to miss this delightful Christmas novella set in the charming sea side town of New Milton that Sally Malcolm has created.

Alfie and Leo started talking online over their love of classic books.They're soul mates,right? What could possibly go wrong when they eventually meet in person??

Turns out,quite a lot....

Living in a small town they do their best to avoid each other after a
Nazanin
Dec 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: m-m, 2018
4 Stars

Camaro89 and LLB had been messaging for months. They talked about everything, especially about stuff they had never shared with anyone. They hadnt seen each other but their friendship was so real, fresh and pure. So they decided to meet and have a date but then everything changed...

A really good read for the holidays, with likable characters. Its a quick read but the story-line is well-paced. Its enemies to lovers with low angst and at the same time a sweet/cute story! My first read by
* A Reader Obsessed *
4.5 Stars!!

Sincerely one of the best holiday romances Ive read this year!

This is basically an MM remake of the movie Youve Got Mail where two individuals fall for the other over online correspondence and when they decide to meet, one discovers that the person theyre falling for is basically their mortal enemy. Oh the horror!

Make no mistake. Alfie and Leo definitely got off on the wrong foot when they first met at a holiday party almost a year ago. It happened then, and it has continued to happen
Meags
4.5 Stars

This was a gorgeous little gem of a story.

Leo and Alfie are local enemies who meet online anonymously as Camaro89 and LLB. In cyberspace they become the closest of close, talking all things literature and slowly falling in love along the way.

As Christmas approaches the two decide to finally meet in person, both unsuspecting of who the other truly is. Drama ensues though, with Leo becoming shockingly aware of Alfie's identity, while Alfie remains in the dark.

As Leo struggles to work
Optimist ♰King's Wench♰
Adorable!

I didn't love it like I loved Perfect Day but it was quite charming in its own rite.

The thing with the love letter in the book shop?

I'm not sure where this Sally Malcolm came from but I like her words muchly.

Thanks again to Elf Hazmerso undercover avenger! for the gift.
Hollis
I probably should've read PERFECT DAY first but I couldn't help but slip into this seasonal novella late on a Sunday evening just for a taste of this new-to-me author. It helped that I love any reimagining of You've Got Mail (or in this case You've Got Male hahaha I sorry) which is, of course, based on The Shop Around The Corner, and all the delicious similarities to PRIDE & PREJUDICE and PERSUASION. Both of which are very present narratives both from their own literary discussion and their ...more
Diana
Jan 01, 2019 rated it really liked it

Super cute, sugary sweet story. Perfect for a holiday read.
☆ Todd
Jan 03, 2019 rated it really liked it

Just like the other books in this series, this story was adorably cute.
Its pretty incredible to meet the love of your life in cyberspace, and then find him waiting just around the corner.
Both MC's were kind of arseholes at the beginning, due to the bad blood from their first terrible meeting.

Then they met online and, after chatting for a year, the seeds of love had sprouted and taken root.

But finding out the person you hate was also the person you love, well, that tends to take a person a
Susan
Dec 11, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: hurt-comfort, mm

This had my least favorite kind of angst. Angst where one of the MCs is keeping something from the other MC and where you are waiting the entire book for the bomb to drop. And when it does drop, it is (too) late in the story and it is awful and terrible. And how it could have all been prevented if the person would just have been honest from the start.

So while I liked Leo and Alfie, I hated the way their romance started out. I mean their romance as Leo and Alfie, not as LLB and Camaro89.
Caz
Nov 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I don't give many A's and I rarely give novellas high grades, but this one's bucked the trend.

The Shop Around the Corner is one of my favourite films.  Set around Christmas time, it tells the story of two co-workers who dont get on and bicker all the time in spite of the attraction that sparks between them and which they ignore. He thinks shes stuck-up, she thinks hes crass and in any case, theyre both completely in love with their respective pen-pals who are, of course, each other.  (The
Snjez
Dec 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: re-reads
This was such an enjoyable read.

It has everything I want in a Christmas story: beautiful setting, two lovely main characters, great side characters, some tea, snow and a lot of books.

**********
Re-read 12/2019
Lorraine Lesar
Dec 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
They say that a literature Classic stands the test of time and has a certain universal appeal that makes a connection. And its thanks to that connection and the very clever usage of certain Classics by this suthor, that we are given a truly delightful Christmas Classic of Camaro89 and LLB.
Alfie and Leo are definitely NOT friends in New Milton, but definitely ARE on-line lovers in CyberSpace.
What happens when they both find out that not only deception and also love is just around the corner?
Ky
Dec 28, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: read-2018, light-read
Ugh, ready for an unpopular-opinion review?

"Love Around the Corner" is a holiday story that started out strong but then something happened and it declined. I liked the parallel relationship that the MCs had, in real life and through the internet, though I wasn't very excited about Leo lying to Alfie for such a big part of the book. Something had to happen for them to move from enemies to friends, but I don't think that this was the only option or the best one.

The story quickly became too sweet
Ariana
Dec 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
*4,5 stars*

I thoroughly enjoyed this.
The scenario just makes this romance, and I loved how Sally Malcolm executed it!
There is just enough of everything to make this a really well balanced and cute Christmas story:

.) a bit of enemies to lovers
.) a bit of cyber romance
.) a bit of rough
.) a bit of sweet
.) a bit of Christmas and festive cheer
.) a bit of snow
.) and (for the novella length) two really well characterised and likeable MCs.

One to reread, no doubt!
Highly recommend it!

Renée
4.5 stars!

Best Christmas story this year! This novella packed the feelz - it made me cry and gave me a great HEA all in a short story.
Jassy
Dec 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
It's Christmas time and now I'm in the right mood for it thanks to 'Love around the corner'.
That book is so sweet - Alfie and Leo have an online relationship without ever having seen each other. Otherwise they'd know that in real life they don't like each other very much. Leo is rather prickly and Alfie has some serious complexes about his education.
The first 20% were a solid 5 star read, especially when they both go to their first date to meet in person and accidentally meet on the train
Aki | nose buried in books | ❤️ |
I loved this Christmas novella!
And as a Jane Austen's enormous fan, I really enjoyed the quotes!
Recommend 😊
CrabbyPatty
Oh, I loved this little Christmas novella, which takes plot elements from the 1940 movie "Shop Around the Corner" with Jimmy Stewart and Margaret Sullivan, about "two employees at a leather goods shop in Budapest who can barely stand each other, not realizing they are falling in love as anonymous correspondents through their letters." (Thanks, Wikipedia!) And of course, "You've Got Mail" was based on this movie as well, with Tom Hanks' little bookstore called "The Shop Around the Corner."

So
Sara
I love Christmas stories.

This was so good! I am not crying happy tears at my desk right now. Nope.

One of my favorite movies is The Shop Around the Corner with Jimmy Stewart and Margaret Sullavan and this book, from my first read of the blurb caught my eye because of the similarities. I mean, we do have an Alfie and a Novak which I am going to assume are respected nods to the movie. The update of the online relationship also gives a slight nod to the remake titled "You've Got Mail" and let's
Ele
Dec 13, 2018 rated it liked it

This is definitely 4-5 stars material. It's only my personal preferences that stopped me from liking it more. I loved the messages and the grovelling and the sexy times.

BUT I hate it when one of the MCs keeps a huge secret that the reader knows about for such a big part of the book. Also, all this book talk was not my thing. Austen e.t.c is very far from my reading background and culture, it got a little boring for me.

But don't let me stop you, I'm pretty sure most people will love
Bev
4.5 stars from me. 💖💙💚💛💜 A frenemies/do-over/second chances read...full of feels and Christmassy scenes. This ties in nicely with the New Milton world that Sally has created, starting with Perfect Day and continuing with Between the Lines, which comes out next month.

LLB and Camaro89 are close online friends and now they are meeting up for the first time. Little do they realise that they do actually know each other in real life, and those meetings haven't gone so well 😕. Misunderstandings
Len Evans Jr
Nov 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
5+ Put me through the ringer, but damn it was worth it stars!

This book about killed me more than once. The author wrote these characters in a more than believable manner and had me living every up and down in their struggle to get together. There was a tine or two where I just had to put it down and take a break... let my emotions calm and then move forward. Leo and Alfie were just perfect in their imperfections. What a ride!
haletostilinski
Aww, this made me feel so good, it was so cute - near the end at least haha.

Because this starts out as Alfie and Leo hating each other. It all made sense how neither of it was exactly their fault - like who said the first thing/did the first thing to start the hatred - and while it was clearly Leo, we find out what he was going through and why it was understandable.

And ya know, once Leo was an asshole, Alfie was one right back, and then it was a constant loop of them being assholes to each
Anne Boleyn's Ghost
2.5 stars.

So I quite enjoyed the premise. These types of secrets and lies - and the angst that ensues - are my jaaam.

Cue 🎶She's Got Issues 🎶...

But I never warmed to Leo. To quote the illustrious Cher Horowitz, he was a snob and a half (and it says a lot that I struggled with his snobbiness because my contact picture on my husband's cell is Polly Prissy Pants). No, you don't have to like a character in a story to find him compelling. But when the story is a romance, it is disappointing. I want to
Zuzu
Dec 08, 2018 rated it really liked it

Loved this one. How am I getting so lucky to read books lately based on or referencing my favorite author Jane Austen?

Alfie and Leo were cyber friends and soul mates who didnt know each others identities. In real life, they lived in the same town and didnt like each other. Let the fun begin. Along the way, Leo discovers the truth and doesnt let Alfie know. Eventually the truth is found out and Leo must do some serious groveling to win back Alfies affection.

This was so sweet. I loved
Anyta Sunday
This book was pure perfection. I loved every second of it. Favorite.
Meep
Dec 13, 2018 rated it did not like it
Was looking for a light frothy read but this was charmless, I was struggling before the halfway point and dnf'd 70something%

Leo was nasty and judgemental, even getting his pov and insecurities he came across an unpleasant specimen. And the keeping his realisation secret was untenable, hooking up without offering the respect of disclosure a BIG NO. When the inevitable reveal and dramatic break-up happened I was cheering and wishing Alfie stay clear and find someone less self-involved. As this is
Teal
** 2.5 stars **

Hmph.
Gabi
3 stars and a plus point for the best winter cover ever, which instantly grabbed me.

It's a sweet and a bit angsty story, and I loved Leo's plan at the end, so romantic.
It might be just my imagination, but this book gave off a Jane Austen-esque vibe, and it felt a bit like Pride and Prejudice, and it's no coincidence in my opinion. Expect some judgemental pricks. haha... :)

The synopsis said it's an enemies to lovers story, and it is, but other than a few snide remarks towards each other, I didn't
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

• The Other Book (Those Other Books, #1)
  • Mr. Winterbourne's Christmas (Winterbourne, #2)
  • Mr. Right Now
  • A Boyfriend for Christmas
  • Oz (Finding Home, #1)
  • 3 Dates
  • The Christmas Deal
  • Christmas Angel (The Christmas Angel, #1)
  • The Christmas I Know
  • Santa Daddy
  • Hometown Christmas
  • Milo (Finding Home, #2)
  • Stuck with You
  • Beautiful Dreamer (So This is Christmas #1)
  • Pisces Floors Taurus (Signs of Love, #4.5)
  • Cancer Ships Aquarius (Signs of Love, #5)
  • Family Camp (Daddy Dearest, #1)
  • Mr. Naughty List (Home for the Holidays, #2)
Sally Malcolm was bitten by the m/m romance bug in 2016 and hasnt looked back. Its fair to say shes obsessed with the genre. She has four contemporary m/m romances out, set in the fictional Long Island seaside town of New Milton.

She's also the author of eight Stargate novels and novellas, including the hit "Apocalypse" trilogy. She has penned four Stargate audio dramas for Big Finish Productions,

New Milton (3 books)
  • Perfect Day (New Milton #1)
  • Between the Lines (New Milton #2)
  • Twice Shy (New Milton #3)