Start by marking “The Tale of the Tiger Slippers” as Want to Read:
The Tale of the Tiger Slippers

The Tale of the Tiger Slippers

Jan Brett reimagines a powerful Middle Eastern folk tale that celebrates hard work and appreciating your roots.

Set in India, this gorgeous reimagining of the classic Middle Eastern folk tale "Abu Kassem's Slippers" features a poor tiger cub who is a very hard worker. His mother weaves him slippers to protect his feet from stones and thorns, and they allowed him to
Published September 17th 2019 by G.P. Putnam's Sons Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about The Tale of the Tiger Slippers, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Tale of the Tiger Slippers

Start your review of The Tale of the Tiger Slippers
Julie
Oct 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s
Absolutely gorgeous illustrations accompanying a meaningful Persian tale make for a delightful reading experience!
Beth
The Tale of the Tiger Slipper was a fantastic telling of a fable geared toward the younger reader. Jan Brett marvelously portrays the heart of the fable with engaging the target audience and me the adult reader as well. There is nothing better than picking up a great book to read with your children, except maybe picking one up with a meaningful message as well.

I received this ARC copy of The Tale of the Tiger Slippers from G.P. Putnam's Sons Books for Young Readers - Penguin Publishing Group.
Dwan Dawson-Tape
May 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kid-s-books
Jan Brett does such beautiful work, and her newest effort is no exception. This is book is gorgeous and rich with character, costume and design. It tells a good story about consequence and honoring the past, with kind and thoughtful main characters. Recommended.
Abigail
Oct 11, 2019 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Jan Brett Fans
Celebrated picture-book author/artist Jan Brett turns her attention to the classic folktale concerning Abu Kassim's shoes in this new title, setting her story in Persia and peopling it with animals. Born into a poor family, the eponymous tiger works hard and rises in the world, wearing the slippers his loving mother made for him. Once he is grown and successful, he is prompted to get rid of his shoes by some of the other animals, who question why a wealthy tiger would wear such tattered ...more
Ronyell
Tiger

I would like to thank Edelweiss and G.P. Putnam’s Sons for providing me a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.

It has been awhile since I last read a book by Jan Brett. I used to read many books by Jan Brett when I was little and for a while, I thought that Jan Brett had taken a break from writing books. But, lo and behold! I had just discovered her most recent book “The Tale of the Tiger Slippers” and it was such a wonderful book to read!

The story starts off with a wealthy tiger
Beverly
Oct 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Brett's version is very loosely based on a Persian folktale, "Abu Kassem's Slippers," for Brett's tiger character never gets thrown into jail as Kassem does. Brett set her story in the world of the Mughal courts of northern India. Brett's signature paintings, in watercolor and gouache, are surrounded by bejeweled borders, and most pages include side panels with additional characters and action.
Peacegal
Oct 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Beautiful illustrations immerse you in a fantasy world of Indian wildlife and a re-imagined traditional fable about not forgetting your roots.
Linda
Apr 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The Tale of the Tiger Slippers by Jan Brett (Illustrated by), Jan Brett is absolutely wonderful. It is the story of a young boy retelling a tale told to him by his father, about a specific pair of slippers. Brett performs a fantastic job telling the well-rounded storyline. The meaning of the story is classic. I find the charming humor to be light and refreshing. Although it is a short children's book, I genuinely love it. The illustrations are beautifully produced, with vibrant colors.

My
Brittany Baker
Jun 19, 2019 rated it liked it
I never regret reading a Jan Brett book--the illustrations are always exquisite, and this book is no exception. But for me this story wasn't as thought out as some of her previous books (e.g., The Mitten), where the illustrations are telling complementary stories that go above and beyond the text.
Calista
Jan Brett’s new book is delightful. She is retelling a story set in an Indian court setting. The Bengal tiger is the center of our story. The colors are rich and vibrant. She uses the side windows on most pages, but they don’t seem to be as relevant to the story. There are finely dressed animals in the windows standing and observing.

This is a story within a story. The story is about a pair of worn out red slippers. It is about the cub being given them by his mother and the cub then does a whole
Andrew
Jun 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kids-chapter
It thrills me that the beloved signature styles of Jan Brett that I grew up on continue to expand to this day. This time around, Brett carries her readers to the lush forests of India in her latest retelling, one of a young tiger inspired to build wealth and happiness when his mother crafts him red slippers, with room to grow. As time passes and he becomes a regal figure, some make fun of his now worn-out slippers, though they have brought him nothing but good fortune. Sometimes the finest ...more
Cat
Oct 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I love Jan Brett's books! When I first saw this book, I thought it was a retelling of Little Black Sambo...I was pleasantly surprised to see it wasn't! The slippers and the tigers reminded me of that story, but Ms. Brett tools a wonderful tale about a tiger's shoes. Opulent illustrations tell the story of the tiger and his rise in fortunes from a poor cub living under a banyan tree. Every bit as wonderful as all her others!
Pam
Sep 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
As always, this Brett book has layers on layers in the illustrations and a storyline to match. The tiger's dad shares the story of the ratty old slippers displayed in a special fountain. His dad's mother made the slippers back when they were poor and told him they would always point him in the right direction. His father worked hard and felt the slippers boosted him. Every time he tossed them away, some disaster happened. The tiger suggested the fountain to keep the slippers close and visible.
Amanda
3 1/2 stars (4 stars for being Jan Brett bumped down to 3 stars as it didn't feel up to her usual level of work--the inset pictures didn't tie into the storyline as they normally do)

Love that she went in a new direction here and retold a folk story from a different part of the world. Something was missing though. Her usual spark wasn't there.
Clwseattle
Oct 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-2019
Everything about The Tale of the Tiger Slippers is easily recognizable as from Jan Brett.

While I was not completely enamored of the story, the art (and yes it IS art) is mesmerizingly beautiful.

I have to admit, I had to go back to the first page several times to the find those "raggedy slippers in that fancy fountain".

4 stars
Roben
I love all of Jan Brett's books and this one is no exception. Lovely artwork and a great message - don't forget your roots. Don't listen to unwise advice. Appreciate and cherish gifts that come from the heart.
Frances
Oct 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
I always look forward to the newest Jan Brett children's book and skim it immediately, looking to see if her ubiquitous hedgehogs make an appearance. (they do, here, also)
This is a beautifully imaged tale of holding on to the past but being in the present, in the retelling of a classic folktale.
Marcie
Modern folktale that does have the feel of traditional stories. I love the illustrations and how the borders work, but the story didn't make me want to use this over many other beautiful Jan Brett books.
Raven Black
Jul 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Classical Brett. And a lovely story that's a little different from her usual story.
Pam
Nov 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A lovely folk tale about honoring the past while loving the present and looking to the future. Great Jan Brett illustrations, of course!
Kelly
The message was okay, but I didn't much care for the book.
Andréa
Note: I accessed a digital review copy of this book through Edelweiss.
Mary Lee
Oct 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
A Persian tale that reminds us that who we were THEN has made us who we are TODAY.
Kathy
Gorgeous Illustrations!!
Maureen Caupp
Oct 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Beautifully, detailed illustrations and a fun take on a classic Persian tale.
Georgette
Sep 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
What a great story. Love it!
Lizzytish
Nov 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
A remake of an old folk tale with Brett’s amazing illustrations.
Edward Sullivan
Sep 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
A sumptuously illustrated reimagining of the Middle Eastern folk tale "Abu Kassem's Slippers" set in India.
Trina
Oct 30, 2019 rated it liked it
A pleasant story and nice artwork.
Shauna Yusko

• Unicorn Is Maybe Not So Great After All
  • Sulwe
  • I Am Love: A Book of Compassion
  • Pete the Cat and the Perfect Pizza Party
  • How I Met My Monster (I Need My Monster)
  • A Big Bed for Little Snow
  • I Want a Dog
With over thirty three million books in print, Jan Brett is one of the nation's foremost author illustrators of children's books. Jan lives in a seacoast town in Massachusetts, close to where she grew up. During the summer her family moves to a home in the Berkshire Hills of Massachusetts.
As a child, Jan Brett decided to be an illustrator and spent many hours reading and drawing. She says, "I