Start by marking “Does It Fart?: A Kid's Guide to the Gas Animals Pass” as Want to Read:
Does It Fart?: A Kid's Guide to the Gas Animals Pass

Does It Fart?: A Kid's Guide to the Gas Animals Pass

A hilariously informative book of facts, farts, and fun!
Dogs fart. Cats fart. Horses fart (a lot). But what about snakes? Spiders? Octopuses? What about chimpanzees? Cheetahs? Or dinosaurs?
In this gaseous guide to kids' favorite animals (and some they've probably never heard of), young readers will discover not only which animals pass gas, but also which have the
Published July 2nd 2019 by Little, Brown Books for Young Readers (first published October 19th 2017)

To ask other readers questions about Does It Fart?, please sign up.
Candice This is a very short book. Each species gets a concise description and a cartoon. Interesting facts are sprinkled through the book that highlight…moreThis is a very short book. Each species gets a concise description and a cartoon. Interesting facts are sprinkled through the book that highlight unique adaptations. It is written for an adult audience. I hope this helps!(less)

Start your review of Does It Fart?: A Kid's Guide to the Gas Animals Pass
Petra-X
Silent but deadly farts are the worst kind. The terrible, eye-watering smell that you try and pretend you aren't reeling backwards from, the sort where the Queen tightens her lips and gives side-eye to Prince Philip when she lets one loose. But they aren't really deadly. No one has died from being farted on.

However, the beaded lacewing, a pretty insect is a ferocious carnivore as a larva. When hungry it directs the tip of its abdomen to a termite's head and toots out a deadly gas cloud. One to
Lisa
Mar 28, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Three years ago I went and asked a question on Bing. I had a burning question that I needed an answer to. That question was "do ants fart?" Yes, they do! So, as soon as I saw this book on Netgalley, I knew I'd have to read it. I enjoyed it. The sketches at times cracked me up, and I learned a bit about other gassy creatures! Sometimes it grew monotonous, but never for long. Mostly it was fun and interesting. I'd recommend this for the curious and the young. Or maybe for a gassy friend or ...more
Lindsay - Traveling Sister
5 laugh-out-loud stars for this hilariously factual children’s book!

Pee-Yew! Yes - you read that right - this book is about farts. An uncomfortable topic for some, a hilarious topic for most littles. Needless to say, my four and five-year-old LOVED this book! It is scientific and educational, yet fun and silly.

It incorporates a guessing game for children to hypothesize if certain animals and creatures fart or not (not all do!). They have to flip the page to find out the answer with a
Schizanthus Nerd
You know those facts that you didn’t know you needed to know until you read a blurb and realise that you urgently need to know this vital information? Well, that sums up how I felt when I discovered Does It Fart? on NetGalley. I read the blurb, knew immediately that I needed this book in my life, hit the Request button and waited. Then my email notification arrived letting me know I was denied access to this title. My heart sank and I experienced one of my biggest NetGalley disappointments to ...more
Starjustin
Nov 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children
An awesome way to discuss a not so awesome subject. Wonderfully illustrated and very informative, this children’s book makes the subject of farts very down to earth and easy for children to learn and understand the process and purpose of the gas animals pass.
Margitte
Well...well....beam them up Scotty, they've got lift off!

From: cultural significance to communication offensive; deadly weapon to a source of laughter; boisterous amplitude to silent missiles - carbon dioxide, methane and hydrogen sulfide confirm that 'cloacal poppings' are not created equal.

Cow-haters should hang their heads in shame. Their cow-attack is debunked in this book. Almost all living creatures are guilty. Termites, for instance, contribute between 5 to 19 percent of methane gas to
☆Dani☆ ☆Touch My Spine Book Reviews☆
This book was really enjoyable and well written! I loved learning about flatulence! This book was fun and informative! My kids loved me telling them the different species that fart. I mean who doesn't laugh about a good fart? If you want to learn about "blowing wind" then I recommend this book! It is fart-tacular! ...more
Peter Tillman
Final report. A worthwhile read, in small doses. Note that there's a kid's edition, and indeed the "adult' ed. at hand has the flavor of YA fart jokes. Which I liked, and still do, in moderation. Hence you will want to pace your reading of this one, I think. The authors are both wildlfe biologists, and do read the introduction (above) for how the book came to be: "Clearly, the public demands more information on animal farts." Heh. 3.4 stars.

Gems(?) from my notes:
Pet ferrets (p. 49), when scared,
Jim
Sep 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a short & intriguing book. Each entry was brief, but really illuminating & there was enough humor, but not too much. It was an interesting look into many species from bugs to fish to people. He even covered some long extinct species with some good guesses. What surprised me the most were the species that didn't fart & why.

If my boys were 10 or so, I'd be reading this with them. As an adult, it was great reading, too. The only complaint I can think of is that it was too
Janet
Dec 26, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
From the publisher-
Dogs do it. Millipedes do it. Dinosaurs did it. You do it. I do it. Octopuses don't (and nor do octopi). Spiders might do it: more research is needed. Birds don't do it, but they could if they wanted to. Herrings do it to communicate with each other.
In 2017 zoologist Dani Rabaiotti's teenage brother asked her a most teenaged question: Do snakes fart? Stumped, Rabaiotti
Barb
Nov 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
By far one of the more entertaining books I’ve read this year. It’s also based on solid science and very informative.

The writers, both scientists, compiled a list of animals, birds, fish, and insects and sought input from experts on each to ascertain if they fart, as well as how potent said flatulence would be. They also explain why they either do or don’t, in some cases using the anatomy of their digestive systems to draw their conclusions.

Written with both humor and fascinating factual
Kam Yung Soh
Aug 24, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nature, biology
An entertaining book about a topic that will either be greeted with disgust or with laughter when discussed at the dinner table: does animal X fart?

The authors use the general meaning of fart rather then its stricter scientific meaning, so some animals that pass gas don't actually fart (scientifically), but even then the details are fascinating.

Yes, most of the animals featured in the collection do fart and the reasons they fart are many and varied: at one end (like for fish), farting to get rid
Bettie
Apr 26, 2018 marked it as wish-list  ·  review of another edition
"Now, according to @PlethodoNick and @DaniRabaiotti, there are almost 10,000 species of birds and none of them fart. We know that birds evolved from dinosaurs. So can we infer from this that dinosaurs didn't fart? Was the Cretaceous a dino-fart-free zone?"
Stuart MacBride 26/04/2018
Brandon Forsyth
“The book we didn’t know we needed” indeed!
Liz
Nov 06, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Added some great fodder for my ever growing collection of fairly useless facts.
Julia
Dec 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Delightful, funny, hilarious! Packed with facts about farting and non-farting animals.
Dany
Dec 26, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
If the fish are unable to fart out the gas, their inability to stay away from the water's surface puts them at risk of predation by birds.... so they would benefit from doing so more often, as it really is a case of fart or die.

This was educational... and no, I am not joking.

The book basically came to be when a child asked one of the authors if a specific animal was capable of farting... and it resulted on being a great question. From there the authors, with the contribution of several
Zulfiya
Jun 09, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It is hard to describe this book. It was engaging and hilarious, but it was also quite educative and contained useful scientific trivia.

I also enjoyed it for its manageable size and surprisingly memorable chapters. It made it easier for me to read this book while I was on my recumbent bike as I was reading about 5 or 6 species and was able to easily put it down.

At the same time, it was entertaining enough that I read some passages aloud to my fellow co-workers because the format of the book
Jillian Heise
THIS is the kind of nonfiction book we need more of - entertaining, a topic kids care about, and chock full of informative facts. This one will be fun to read aloud with kids!
Cateresa Finch Boston
Fish fart. Birds DON’T. Bugs do, sometimes even killing their prey with the obnoxious odor. Cleverly written with a dry-wit sort of humor, yet still scientific in the explanation of the digestive systems of different species.
Strix
Sep 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction
For what this is, it's a delight. It's short - less than a hundred pages - and every entry is one page long. No more, no less. Every entry answers the central question: "does it fart?" and then if yes, how, and if not, why not. There are rare cases where the answer is "we don't know" and it explains why that is.

The tone is light but not crass, and it sometimes gets a touch dark - see the entry on cows, and how they're contributing to global warming - it mostly stays funny and informative.

One
K
Essential reading for anyone writing shifters...

octopus don't btw...
Kristen
Dec 23, 2019 rated it liked it
Sometimes you just know when you've found the book that will be the most popular one on your next round of school visits and I can almost guarantee it will be this one. A silly, informative book about animal farts? Sign most 3rd-5th graders up! This is a quick read with a silly premise but there is good information in here and I'm sure it will be a big hit with its intended audience.
Erica
Oct 21, 2019 rated it liked it
Intro:
This is a book about farts.
That's right. Farts.
Otherwise known as toots. Rips. Stinkers. Butt burps.

The premise of this book is that digestion causes gas and gas comes out as flatulence and since most animals do digestion, then some of them must fart. Then it introduces a straight-faced animal, starting with a horse, and asks whether or not it farts. The reader then turns the page and if the answer is Yes, the animal is grinning while farting. And that was my favorite part of this story.

Stephen Yoder
Apr 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Truly a great tome for a troubled time. The sentence that broke my heart (regarding the question of whether Spiders fart) was this: "No work has been done to verify this to date, however, so the truth remains a mystery until urgently needed research funding is allocated."

Sigh.

A great book. And that's no hot air.
Kate Vocke (bookapotamus)
Admit it - no matter what your age is, you know this makes you giggle. Farts. They're funny, definitely. I dare you to convince me otherwise. This books is fascinating and kept me thoroughly entertained for a good few hours. It's short read, but packed full of fun animal facts (not just about farts!) and I guarantee you more than a couple of chuckles along the way!

There's not a ton of animals that DON'T fart. But there are a few "maybe" and "definitely nos" in here (birds, for one, do not fart).
Connie Fischer
Apr 05, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
As the mother of boys who are always interested in farts and find them the funniest things ever, I knew I had to read this book and I’m so glad I did! I learned a lot and had some laughs along the way too.

The authors have researched all kinds of animals from birds, to roly-polys, to camels. It briefly describes the digestive systems of each of these creatures and adds some humor to it as well. Most animals, it appears, fart but some do not.

While having a chuckle here and there, I was amazed at
Gina
Jan 30, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My hangup is that I hate the third word in the title there. I don't like to say it or type it, though actually all words for it are kind of stupid.

However, the science is interesting, and even with my hangups they can be funny. This book is well done for that. Good information and explanation, lots of interesting facts beyond flatulence, and delightful illustrations.

I appreciate that in general the animal faces are gleeful if they have dealt it and chagrined if they have smelt it, and just
John Naylor
Jan 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed this.

An educational book which, despite and because of the subject matter, raises a lot of good ecological points. I learnt a lot from it.

It has to be noted that there definitely is a dearth of research into certain animals and whether or not they fart. I hope this book inspires further research and the funding it requires.

I definitely recommend this book to scientists young and old as well as fart aficionados.
Tam
Jan 17, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Hilarious, creative, informative and actually very educational. I laughed a lot and learned a lot. The perfect balance of Ha-Ha and Ah-Ha! Accompanying sketches were whimsical and delightful.

*I received a complimentary copy of this story from NetGalley & Hachette Books in order to read and provide a voluntary, unbiased and honest review, should I choose to do so.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

• Skulls!
  • Birdsong
  • Bad Dog
  • Spencer's New Pet
  • Five Minutes: (That's a Lot of Time) (No, It's Not) (Yes, It Is)
  • The Pigeon Has to Go to School
  • I Want a Dog
  • Hey, Water!
  • Love from the Crayons
  • Little Libraries, Big Heroes
“Unicorns may not exist, but if they did they would definitely fart. Scientists are still debating whether those farts would be made up of rainbows and glitter.” 1 likes