Start by marking “Sophia, Princess Among Beasts” as Want to Read:
Sophia, Princess Among Beasts

Sophia, Princess Among Beasts

A princess who has lost her mother and father finds herself in a terrifying world that urgently needs a queen.

Sophia is smart, beautiful, and accomplished, a beloved princess devoted to the people and to reading books. The kingdom is hers, until she is plunged into a nightmarish realm populated by the awful beasts she read about as a child.

The beasts are real. And so is
Published July 15th 2019 by Little, Brown and Company

Start your review of Sophia, Princess Among Beasts
John
Jul 15, 2019 rated it did not like it
This is one of those books that seemed like it might be a good idea… until the author started writing it.

The title derives from the way the king, his knights and even the mythical figures Sophia interacts with views the lower classes of the world- as beasts. If you thought that was too subtle, don’t worry- you’ll be hit over the head with it enough times for it to sink in.

Princess Sophia is the MarySue- the kind, gentle, entitled, clueless waif who eschews needlepoint and harp lessons for
Laura Rash
Jul 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
If you go into this expecting a normal JP book then you’ll be disappointed. Almost as if you crossed Outlander and Grimms fairy tales. Reads a bit as a YA but not eye roll YA. A quick read that is unique.
Laura Henry
Jul 28, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Wow this book was bad. I’m a fan of some of James Patterson’s writing especially the Women’s Murder Club series. However he needs to stay in his lane and get out of the fantasy genre. This story makes no sense, nothing is explained, the ending is too cookie cutter, and the main character is the most annoying person. I can’t even say that I liked one character, although by far the most interesting ones were the villains. The writing did not fit well with the story, nor did it even seem coherent. ...more
Amber
Aug 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ebooksiown
When Sophia's father is murdered and she is captured by their enemies, she is determined to escape and fight her captor Area who forces her to wed one of his monstrous knights. Will Sophia survive? Read on and find out for yourself.

This was an awesome Fantasy adventure. If you enjoy fantasy novels , be sure to check this book out at your local library and wherever books are sold.
Corin
Jul 30, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
It's a cute story. If you're in the mood for a little light fluff, this is a fun read.
Mellie Antoinette
Dec 15, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
DNF’d around 40%
Donna Hines
Classified as fantasy, adult, YA, and fiction this one has it all but only if readers are open to the idea as it's not the normal thriller you may have come to enjoy.
While it does have thrilling moments it's more about the meaning behind the scenes or so it was with me as I read this new work by James Patterson.
It's not everyday you read fantasy from this author yet I was transported to a magical land in which surely things don't go as planned.
While Sophia is battling for independence as the two
Cheryl
Dec 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
Really three and a half stars. (Half a star off for the last two chapters and the slightly confusing appearance of two characters.) This is an entertaining fairy tale fantasy novel, with a YA feel. I liked the main character, Sophia, and enjoyed the fast-paced plot. It's not Lord of the Rings or Game of Thrones, but it was alot of fun to read.
Marzie
2.5 Stars for me, bumped to 3 Stars for competent writing

This is the first novel I've read that was co-authored by James Patterson (and Emily Raymond). Although not stated in the promotional material it appears to possibly be targeting the Young Adult market based on subject matter and writing style. Princess Sophia (So-fye-uh on the audio edition) is a headstrong, if goodhearted, young woman who seems to have cost her father his life and kingdom. In a story that seems part cautionary fairy
Ariel Andrews
Aug 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I am very pleasantly surprised with this book! I have never read any of Pattersons books, but my grandma has read them all. She is a true fan and read this book in two days. She had the library book for another week so she lent it to me. I am really glad I picked it up! It was a super easy read and drew me in from the beginning. It's only 300 pages so it's pretty short but it full of suspense the entire time. I fell in love with sophia and she really progresses through the book. The magic and ...more
Sophia
Aug 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book, the fictional monsters were well crafted and Sophia was such an amazing character. I'm also a huge sucker for a earned happy ending. I would recommend this to anyone even slightly curious.
Pamela
I like a good Patterson book. This was not one. It felt like YA, but it wasn’t and I’ve read much better YA, than this mess. It was insulting to his followers. Man he adds his name to anything it seems. This plot , if you can call it that, was all over the place. I struggled to finish, but what was the point. I didn’t care how it ended, and I would never buy book two. Two stars for the writer he once was.
ari
Nov 20, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019-reads, 1-star
What did I just read?

I think this actually is one of the worst books I've ever read - and I really really wanted to love it.

I must admit, I was drawn to the book because it was a I really liked how the book felt in my hands. It was a hardback (which I love) with such beautifully floppy pages, and a pretty cover. Even the premise of the book seemed good.

Nothing in this book was explained.

The only reason why I finished the book so quickly was because I needed to know what was going on and
Jen
Aug 11, 2019 rated it it was ok
This book was a pretty quick read, and the premise was promising. I am always on the lookout for a stand-alone fantasy read. But the book as a whole fell flat for me. And for what it is, it reads definitely as a YA fantasy.

There are some interesting ideas in here, like an alternate view of what happens after death. And some interesting magic/spiritual world stuff happening. But overall, this book is not unique. Sheltered princess finds herself in a bad situation, grows up a little, comes back,
Tessa
Jul 21, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Wow what a crappy book.

This book reads like it’s a first draft - the chapters have no meat to them and a lot of “scenes” really aren’t fully fleshed out. Now I’ve only read one other book by James Patterson (and I really have no idea how much of a part he played in writing this book) but it seems to me his trademark is short cliff-hanger style chapters. I personally hate this style of novel. I find it cheapens the story because every other page the author has to needlessly inject a dramatic
Reagan Rothe
Read Any Fantasy Classic, But Not This One...

Can't believe I powered through and finished. Glad it was short. Nothing makes sense, should be categorized as Young Adult fantasy, as it's written that way. The storyline bounces around, same fairytale that's been told before, except told in the worse manner possible. Sophia's character is never believable and annoying. I felt myself rooting for the villains to kill her and all the terrible main characters.

Read The Hobbit, Rain Wilds Chronicles,
Dawn Livingston
Interesting concept not well realized. Mediocre heroine Sophia, not especially likeable. You know from the beginning she's going to toughen up and fix everything. Once I finished I realized that was the gist I'd gotten all along. And it never feels right. Everything ends up well and it seemed too cookie cutter not to mention the village overrunning the knights seems unlikely as is Sophia killing Ares and Reiper considering she is not an expert.

I liked it well enough to finish but too much
Iva Marie
Dec 30, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I picked up this book from the library because it was a rapid read and I was looking to get into James Patterson's books. I was actually surprised by how much I enjoyed it. The beginning was a little slow going and I figured I would stumble through a story about a girl learning to take the throne. Sophia Princess Among Beast proved me wrong. The story gets interesting and has a fantastic fantasy element to it that I have not seen in many places. I kept thinking it was predictable and I knew what ...more
Samantha
Dec 23, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: dnf
While I do enjoy quite a bit of middle school fantasy books I thought I would give an adult fantasy book a try. This was just a bit to dark for my liking. I will say the writing was well done (what I did read) and Sophia's character developes well. I picked this book up many times but just gave up on it.
Sophie
Aug 03, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Megan BG
Apr 13, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very interesting story! A quick read! Definitely seems Young Adult (the POV is a 17 year old girl) except for one scene in the book, so I'm unsure of what the target audience is. A mature older teen or young 20s would enjoy this book a lot.
Billy
Aug 02, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Let me start out by saying this isn't an adult novel. Yes, it was marketed for adults but it's clearly written young adults. While I haven't read to many fantasy during my lifespan, the ones I have read have had detailed descriptions of the landscapes, castles, and creatures. That isn't the case here as Sophia Princess Among Beasts is written with bare bones descriptions that has just enough details to get you to the next chapter.

The story has a first-person narrative told from through the eyes
Helen Drake
Feb 05, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
As others have said, this is not a typical James Patterson Book. It is part myth, part medieval moral tale, part supernatural, and part fantasy. The boundaries of life and death and what comes after death are stretched. It should be read as a grim fairy tale or Aesop’s fable. Although it was hard to get into at first, after it went into a different reality, it became far more interesting.
Jessica
Jul 11, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi
First, this book is classified as adult fiction, but it could be classified as YA. But that’s not even a significant problem with the book. The characters, the world, and the plot are so underdeveloped. This is the first book where there’s not even one thing that I could appreciate about it. The main character is supposed to be smart, strong, and accomplished, but she’s really none of those things. She gets lucky countless times and is praised for it. The only characteristic the main character ...more
Hailee Johnston
Jan 02, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was really great! I had a hard time putting it down. I found it interesting to me because I had never seen James Patterson write in this type of genre before and I was really happy to see he still hasn't failed me yet! Another great from a great author! Would highly recommend.
Oct 01, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended by a favorite patron. My first James Patterson.

...did not finish. It read like a parody of a poorly-written book. I couldn't get into it.
Erika Martinez
It was a good quick read I liked it. Except for the confusion magical teleportation. Between life and death. It was never really clear on what is going on, especially her skin. The author should have just left it out (magical stuff).
Jude
Dec 24, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Truly deplorable.
Sara
I could not finish this book. Sophia (pronounced with a long "i" sound instead of the long "e" sound, according to the audiobook) is one of the most obnoxious princess characters to come around in a long time. I really wanted to like this book, since the premise sounded really interesting. But the execution fell seriously flat.

I agree with several other reviews that the book reads more like YA. But it reads like bad YA. Even if you like YA, skip this book. It is just not good, and it has
Dlora
Definitely a book for youth, the holes in the logic are big and needs a naive reader to ignore them. The characters were also a bit fairytale-ish in that they are fairly static--they were either good or they were bad. The main character, Princess Sophia, is the only one who develops as she learns to be a better queen and understand what it means to really sympathize and care for the peasants in her kingdom. She always had those leanings, she just didn't realize how to realistically put them into ...more

• Smokescreen (Eve Duncan, #25)
  • Labyrinth (FBI Thriller #23)
  • Contraband (Stone Barrington, #50)
  • Stealth (Stone Barrington, #51)
  • The Dark Side
  • The Rise of Magicks (Chronicles of The One, #3)
  • One Good Deed
  • Under Currents
  • Twisted Twenty-Six (Stephanie Plum, #26)
  • The Shape of Night
  • Skin Game (Teddy Fay, #3)
  • Kiss the Girls and Make Them Cry
  • Vendetta in Death (In Death, #49)
  • Old Bones (Nora Kelly #1)
  • Sins of the Fathers (J.P. Beaumont #24)
  • A Minute to Midnight (Atlee Pine, #2)
  • Outfox
  • Child's Play
Official US Site
Official UK Site
JIMMY Patterson Books
ReadKiddoRead

James Patterson is the world’s bestselling author and most trusted storyteller. He has created more enduring fictional characters than any other novelist writing today, with his Alex Cross, Michael Bennett, Women’s Murder Club, Private, NYPD Red, Daniel X, Maximum Ride, and Middle School series. He has sold over 380 million books