Start by marking “So You Want to Start a Podcast: Finding Your Voice, Telling Your Story, and Building a Community That Will Listen” as Want to Read:

An inspiring, comprehensive, step-by-step guide to creating a hit show, So You Want to Start a Podcast covers everything from hosting and guest booking to editing and marketing - while offering plenty of encouragement and insider stories along the way.

Though they are the fastest-growing form of media, podcasts can actually be tricky to create—and even harder to sustain. F
Published August 6th 2019 by William Morrow

To ask other readers questions about So You Want to Start a Podcast, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about So You Want to Start a Podcast

Start your review of So You Want to Start a Podcast: Finding Your Voice, Telling Your Story, and Building a Community That Will Listen
Chris Wolak
Dec 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: nonfiction
I've co-hosted and produced my own podcast for three years now. There's always more to learn so I read or at least skim any book about podcasting that I come across. If anyone were to ask me to recommend a book about starting a podcast, this is the one I'd suggest. It is clear, concise, not techy, and Meinzer clearly has buckets of experience in the industry.
Trace Nichols
Aug 13, 2019 rated it it was ok
Not my cup of tea. This book was a podcast with a lot of filler and pats on the back. A bit too much "I am brilliant" and a bit too much "you are amazing, you can do it" cheerleading without the deeper dive into the "how-to". I agree with many of the points made about needing to widen the diversity range that podcasts target, as well some of the general pointers would be of value to any would-be podcaster... but it just stayed on the surface, absorbed in the shallows.
Andrea
Aug 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
From beginners to experienced podcasters, this book is a fun, fast read full of helpful resources.
Over half the book applies to people who have existing shows, and I found the Cast It/Make It/Share It/Grow It sections incredibly helpful. It was also fun to go back and re-think our existing show (Preheated, the Baking Podcast) using the prompts and questions in the Dream It/Write It/Host It sections. Also the Diversity section is something you won't find elsewhere, and it's so important.

Other v
Tina
Aug 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This was a clear, easy to understand, and entertaining look into the world of podcasting! Kristen's voice comes through loud and clear. I enjoyed the concrete examples and most of all, her empowerment! I don't have a podcast but I found that most of what she shared can translate to anything creative. I enjoyed this inside baseball look at podcasting. Well done!
Katelyn Jenkins
Pretty good stuff. Took notes. Makes podcasting seem simple. Now I know how to make one.
Easy. :) Thank you for the lesson Kristen!!
Amanda Mae
May 24, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Lots of pretty solid advice, some common sense and some from years of learned experience, on getting started on a podcast. I've been contemplating starting one myself, and this gave me lots of good thinking points and check list ideas to work with. Definitely purchasing for my library!
Nick Claxton
Jan 30, 2020 rated it it was ok
I would nit recomend this book to anyone becuase any other book about podcasting has to be better. She does things in the book she says not to do, Its written like shes doing a podcast, and she is constantly talking about what she has done and a thousand diffrent podcast.

Dont get me wrong it sounds like she has lots of knowledge and skills and she does have some good advice to get you going. I did learn a few things key things. She also uplifted people to give it try with a positive attitude.

Thr
Cidney Mayes
Feb 25, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I started this audiobook because I was running out of episodes of Meinzer's podcast "By the Book." Her voice is soothing, what can I say.

Meinzer offers a wonderfully practical manual for starting a podcast and covers important topics from honing in on an enticing show topic to what equipment to use. Most importantly, Meinzer speaks about the importance of including diverse voices and how to seek those important viewpoints out. Those who were thinking about starting a podcast on a whim might pic
Andrienne
Jan 18, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Excellent book that covers practically everything to know about how to start podcasting. The author describes the process of preparing, doing, and thriving. I also appreciate the nuggets of info that a newbie might overlook or would not even be aware about. The author also talks about monetizing the effort and what an effort it is! If you think you have something worthwhile and unique to say, and you want to give podcasting a try, this book fills you in.
Traci at The Stacks
I liked this book. It’s fun to hear the advice that is given. If you’re not interested in starting a podcast it’s a waste of your time, but if you think you want one it’s worth listening too. I loved the narrator (author) it’s really well read. The content is super specific in some parts, but really skims on topics i was interested.
Lisa
Jul 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I love Kristen's podcast with Jolenta, By the Book, and with her vast expertise in podcasting, I knew this book would be good. It was filled with great "soft" tips (rather than the equipment or hosting platform) like the why of podcasting, audience engagement, and how to be your best self. I'm much more confident starting my own podcast 😊
Tayla
Aug 04, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Great guide for anyone who wants to start a podcast. Meinzer takes through developing the concept for your show, to finding guests, to distributing your podcast, to creating a community around your show. If you have your heart set on podcasting, this book will give you the confidence you need to jump into making it.
Michele
Aug 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
Don’t know that I’m any closer to launching my long-conceived podcast, but if and when I’m ready to, this book will be the step-by-step guide I’ll use. Great insights and behind-the-scenes stories kept this from being anything but dry.
Rebecca Angel Maxwell
Good book for an general overview, but geared towards those looking for non-fiction "chat" podcasts. (I'm looking for advice on scripted fiction.) Still, it was informative of the industry as a whole and very encouraging for those just starting out.
Danni Green
Jan 21, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: being-alive
I don’t have any imminent plans to start a podcast, but I wanted to learn more about them. This book was great, and if I do ever decide to start a podcast, I know where to begin!
Rūta Turskytė
Jul 25, 2020 rated it liked it
Exactly what it is said on the cover: how to find your voice, how to tell your story, how to build a community that will listen. The author is massively encouraging, so a perfect option for those who are just thinking about podcasting but are still a bit afraid of that first step.
Nopadol Rompho
Sep 01, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: my-favourite
If you want to start a podcast, this is strongly recommended.
Aligermaa Tse
Sep 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
I am not trying to start a podcast but this book is such a gem. It had so many useful tips you could apply to your work in general. What other way to listen than an audiobook for a book about a podcast.
Sacha Black
Sep 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
Great book giving good all round guidance for anyone wanting to start a podcast. This isn't a technical guide, you won't learn how to edit audio. But you will get lots of top tips, things to go research and a grounding in all the strategy you need for podcast production.
Lydia
Aug 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I loved the audiobook of So You Want to Start a Podcast. For people who listen to Kristen on By the Book, it is a joy to hear a familiar voice reading aloud. (I kept on expecting her to say "That's what the book says, and so that's what we did for two weeks straight" at the end of each instructional list.) As a non-podcaster, I still got many new ideas for how to improve my blog and other creative projects.
Cody
Nov 13, 2019 rated it it was ok
There is some good basic info in this book, there were some issues. First, at the start of each chapter and/or section in the audiobook, there is a sharp and loud "click" that was sloppily left in. I'm not sure how serious I'm supposed to take an author who creates audio for a living, but releases a quite terribly produced product. Second, I felt very alienated early on, when the author described how 2/3 of podcast hosts are white men, and we should be diverse. Diversity is all good and fine, bu ...more
Dave
Kristen Meinzer is an experienced podcaster and has written a helpful "view-from-30,000-feet" book to help prospective podcasters understand what they are getting into and get started. This overview doesn't get into any mechanical nuts and bolts, which is good since audio equipment is constantly changing, but is helpful in pointing you to other resources when necessary. She is also helpful in giving interviewing tips, distribution tips (which will also probably change frequently), and general or ...more
Boni Aditya
Dec 24, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: advertising, podcast
With over 36 odd chapters, converting a podcast into a book might not be a great idea after all. Though the format in which the book is written isn't so great. There is definitely a huge value add from this book. If you have no clue about podcasting, this author will lay out a clear path for you. She will also give you a detailed step by step instruction about how to get started, how to get co-hosts, how to create your first podcast, how to do an elevator pitch for your podcast, how to get a pro ...more
Reshmi Pillai
Aug 03, 2020 rated it really liked it
My intro to podcasting. I would say a great book for beginners about the journey without getting intimidated.
Katrina Sark
May 28, 2020 rated it liked it
p.25 – What is an elevator pitch? – An elevator pitch is a succinct, snappy, and persuasive pitch for a product, program, project, and so on. Its name originates from the idea that one should be able to sell an idea to an executive in the time it takes to ride a few floors in the elevator with them. If you can’t persuade a higher-up to consider your pitch between the sixth floor and the lobby, then your presentation is presumably unclear or unexciting (even if your idea is excellent).
p.34 – Som
Jana Light
Aug 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A lively, engaging, thoroughly practical guide to successful podcasting from someone in "the biz." I was really impressed with this book as an excellent example the "how to" genre, a genre I'm not normally drawn to. Meinzer includes solid research to back up her claims, as well as engaging stories to illustrate how things work well (or not so well). The chapters are brief and digestible, and she definitely hits the concise-quality-over-quantity metric she encourages in podcasting.

The book is al
Jon Ryan
Dec 14, 2019 rated it did not like it
"Self-help" is the operative word here, much of the advice offered in this book is surface-level without much in-depth advice. More blog post than book. 75 % - 80% filler cheerleader, "You can do it" or the author talking about her accolades. Many of her hard rules such as podcast gold standard length of 20 minutes doesn't strike me as accurate with what I see in the more successful podcasts and provides little to no evidence for the author's claims. The author mentions how important storytelli ...more
Toastkat
Jan 04, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: oplp
I picked this book up because a friend/coworker and I were thinking about starting a vlog. Not exactly the same thing as podcasts, but there are a lot of fundamentals and chapters upon chapters of advice that crosses all platforms of media. There are steps and guides and wit and humor that applies not just to podcasts, but to vlogs and blogs and writing and reading and all aspects of media consumption. I found myself smiling and taking notes more than I initially expected to, and I devoured this ...more
Melanie
Aug 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
Kristen Meinzer is a podcasting queen in an industry that started out with a lot of bros. She's also incredibly sweet, and, as a fan of her podcast By the Book, I could hear her nice and fun Minnesota accent in every word of this book. And that's a good thing. It's written just like she talks and encourages the reader along the way that "you can do this!" But it's also full of helpful tips and things to consider as she explains exactly how to start a podcast. It's definitely for beginners, hence ...more
Annie
Sep 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: text
A couple of weeks ago, I said something apparently amusing to my husband, Dave, who replied, "We're really funny. We should do a podcast!" I really liked the idea and I've been thinking about it a lot ever since. I remembered that Kristen's book was about to come out (serendipity or what?) so bought the Kindle version and read it while travelling around Norway this week. It's a fun read, and also tremendously useful. I was particularly amused by the bit that said, 'I hope one of your reasons isn ...more
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• How to Be Fine: What We Learned from Living by the Rules of 50 Self-Help Books
  • Make Noise: A Creator's Guide to Podcasting and Great Audio Storytelling
  • Don't Keep Your Day Job: How to Turn Your Passion Into Your Career
  • Sabotage
  • The Book of Longings
  • All Adults Here
  • Buy Then Build: How Acquisition Entrepreneurs Outsmart the Startup Game
  • All This Could Be Yours
  • Nothing to See Here
  • The Great Pretender: The Undercover Mission That Changed Our Understanding of Madness
  • Rhythms of Renewal: Trading Stress and Anxiety for a Life of Peace and Purpose
  • The Warehouse
  • The Silent Treatment
  • Cold Storage
  • Lumberjanes: Everything Under the Sum (Lumberjanes, #3)
  • Rule #1: The Simple Strategy for Successful Investing in Only 15 Minutes a Week!
  • Who Owns the Future?
  • The Kennedy Heirs: John, Caroline, and the New Generation - A Legacy of Tragedy and Triumph
Kristen Meinzer is an award-winning podcast host, producer, commentator, speaker, and author specializing in contemporary social issues and popular culture. She is the co-host of "By The Book," along with Moth Storyslam winner Jolenta Greenberg and "We Love You (And So Can You)," also with Greenberg. Prior hosting credits include "When Meghan Met Harry," along with MTVUK host James Barr; CNN's "Li ...more