Start by marking “And We Call It Love” as Want to Read:
And We Call It Love

And We Call It Love

Clare and Zari are best friends. They write music together, go everywhere together, and they know everything about the other. At least they did before Zari started dating Dion. The more Zari falls for Dion, the less she has time for anything else. At first, Clare chalks it up to a new and exciting relationship, and she tries to be happy for her friend despite her lonelines ...more
Published June 1st 2019 by West 44 Books

To ask other readers questions about And We Call It Love, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about And We Call It Love

Start your review of And We Call It Love
Yna the Mood Reader
Some people
push for perfection
and they only end up
pushing people away.
📖 BUY THIS BOOK : Amazon 📖
Much thanks to NetGalley and West 44 Books for this complimentary copy. This review is voluntary and opinions are fully my own.

📚 Series: No
📚 Genre: Young Adult Poetry

⚠ Content Warnings: Domestic Abuse, Friendship Problems, Family Problems

And We Call It Love is a story told through poetry/verse about two friends Zari and Clare. They are two best friends who write music and do everything
Alaina
Julie Parks
Feb 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ya
Very unusual storytelling, for me at least. Mainly due to the verse style, but also because of the narrator's voice. It's raw and somewhat naive, and yet very truthful and relatable.

This felt like something someone had almost written entirely on their phones. Like a secret world of text messages by your older teenage sibling. Like stepping into someone's secret world of honest inner thoughts.

I would recommend it to BFFs, siblings, dumped boyfriends, neglected girlfriends, girls and boys of teen
PinkAmy loves books, cats and naps
Manon the Malicious
I was provided an ARC via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

This 200-page book told in verse tells the story of Clare and Zari. They've been best friends for years when Zari starts an internship with a famous author and gets enamored with his son. Everything gets complicated from there.

As much as I like books told through verses, I have to stop requesting books from this collection. I always feel like those are way too short and can't transfer feelings properly. It all feels rushed...
An
Kerryn (RatherBeReading)
[Disclaimer: e-ARC received from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review. All opinions are my own.]

Unfortunately this book just really didn't work for me.

I found the relationship, and particularly the abusive aspects of the relationship, incredibly underdeveloped and it felt very rushed. (view spoiler)
Moony MeowPoff
Mar 04, 2020 rated it really liked it
Love is like an invisible sting.
And no matter
where you go
or what you do
or how long
it is between talks
it never breaks

Wow. i rarely enjoy poetry or poetry like writing-style, but this was raw, beautiful and real. The pages just flew by, and my heart felt so much for Zari, Wilson and Clare...This books touches themes like classisim, depression and abuse and dosen't give much detail, but it's not needed either. It's easy to understand and feel, espesially how the characters felt.
Becca (Coffeebooksandjournals)
Thank you Netgalley for providing me with an earc copy of this book.

I really enjoyed this collection of poetry. Some of the poetry made me feel some feelings. The pressure from parents, and the domestic violence made me feel so much too. I didn’t connect with the poetry but I liked it because it caused me to feel a lot of things. I gave this a 3.5 out of 5 stars.
Hristina
And We Call It Love tells a heart-warming story about friends who drift apart under pressure from the people around them.
I found the story interesting, the characters and plot compelling and well paced. The poetry was decent, written in a tone that reflects the characters' states of mind and experiences. The tone of the poems was used throughout to reflect on the development of the two main characters which I thought was smart.
I really enjoyed this book, I think most fans of YA will do too.

*Copy
Kathy - Books & Munches
May 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2019, arc-s
Nov 09, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Review to come
Ecke Brandt
I recieved this ARC from NetGalley in exchange of an honest review.

And We Call It Love is an important story told in a beautiful way. I really appreciated the author writing about abusive relationships in the high school years, because they happen often but they are ignored many times.

I loved the story format, since it let us see the POVs of both the victim and the victim’s friend, which shows a side also often ignored in these relationships, which is the struggle from the victim’s family and
Ariana
Originally posted on: The Quirky Book Nerd

*I received a copy of this book from the publisher in exchange for an honest review*

This ended up being an okay read. In this short novella, we follow two teenage best friends who begin to drift apart when one of them enters into a new relationship. Soon it becomes clear to Clare that something is wrong, as Zari is acting less and less like her usual self. She realizes that there may be some abuse taking place in her friend’s relationship. Clare knows sh
Yasmeena
Feb 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arc
ARC provided by NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

Well. Dang. This book. Wow.

This really hit hard in many ways. I'm such a sucker for books in verse and in two points of view. It reminded me a lot of Forget Me Not by Ellie Terry.

If you like romance and friendship, you're really going to love this.
Tzipora
I’ve read quite a few YA novels in verse. I know they’re not my favorite thing but I think some work better than others. This one, I’m not sure works. It does in the sense both Zari and Clare are writers and they write songs together (and I really wish we could’ve seen some of those songs, especially the one the title of the book is based on.) but the story this book tells, I think it could’ve been better told in regular prose. Or perhaps a combination of prose and poetry?

It’s also a stretch to
Bee ♡
Dec 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
Synopsis:

Clare and Zari have been the greatest of friends since Zari moved to her hometown, inside jokes, and days filled with music mark their bond with plenty of love sprinkled in between.

When Zari starts to fall for the wealthy grandson of successful author Irving Mallory her parents encourage her to build a relationship to further her writing abilities and make connections but Dion Mallory is a boy with dark secrets.

When Zari becomes distant and her new relationship threatens to derail th
Brenda
May 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Resenha em Português: http://momentosdeataraxia.blogspot.co...

And We Call It Love is a book of poetry that brings us a history of friendship, toxic relationships and inner strength.

Claire and Zari are best friends. They write songs together, they know each other better than anyone and they are inseparable.

Claire is a girl with some difficulties so the money she earnes playing guitar on the street is to fill the needs that exist at home. Zari comes from a family with money and is constantly on th
Christiana Reads
Nov 08, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I received an advanced copy of this book from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review. All opinions stated below are my own!

*The book comes out on June 1, 2019.

When I first saw this book would be entirely in verse, I was excited as I rarely read poetry books and I've been meaning to get to more. This book follows two friends, Zari and Claire, and revolves around the importance of friendship, family, as well as darker themes like abuse and manipulation.

Trigger warning: there is depiction of ab
Pallavi
Nov 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
I received an A.R.C for this book from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.
This is review is spoiler-free.

I am a huge fan of prose-poetry myself, so when I heard about this book I was very excited. Not only was it a fresh read amidst proper prose format books that I usually read – but it also focused on friendship.

That focus is one of the things I loved most about this book. Friendship, I think, is a severely underestimated trope in a lot of young adult stories . Friendships are
Ankita Singh
Nov 20, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arcs, netgalley-books
And We Call It Love was a story in the form of verses. It was a story of two best friends and how their friendship stayed strong despite all the people who were trying to keep them apart.

I love this writing form because there's no lenghty descriptions and it keeps "happening". There's not a dull moment.

The story itself was pretty beautiful and sweet. It portrayed Clare and Zari's friendship so nicely. The storyline was believable and something that happens way too often.

And We Call It Love was
Erin
Jan 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book was an absolutely lovely look at a normal human life. Struggles, life, success, and doubt are all carefully and candidly portrayed in Amanda Vink's poems. Her style is freeform but still tidy, her poems are concise and heartfelt. You get a wonderful feel for everyone portrayed and find yourself attached to the people in the book quickly and fully. They come alive as real people rather than characters. Seeing her day to day life through her own eyes is the essence of this book. Lovely j ...more
Erin Rogoff
Aug 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
I started reading this book last night, and I finished it 2 minutes ago. In the end, I fell in love with this book of incredible modern poetry. I loathed Zari's controlling parents, hated Dion even more. In my group of friends, I'm everyone's protective older sister. This book and Clare's character made me feel strong, want to hug my friends, tell them how much they mean to me. This book is really inspiring!
Kirsten Tattersall
Feb 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2019, arcs, poetry
I received a copy of this book from Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.

I love this style of storytelling and I love love love stories about female friendships. There aren't enough good stories about female friendship and this was one. It also does a really good job of discussing abusive relationships.
Nov 21, 2018 rated it really liked it
I got an e-arc of this book from Netgalley in exchange for an honest review! I really enjoyed this book, it’s like a YA contemporary in poetry form. It covers all kinds of teenage (and adult) issues in a sensitive way and has a lovely female friendship in it.
Booksiren
Feb 04, 2019 rated it liked it
This was interesting to me I never read something like this. It felt like a book and a poetry at the same time. I would love to read more books like this. I am curious to see if Amanda’s Vink will write more like this.
Mahi
May 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Thanks to NetGalley I received a free copy in exchange for an honest review.

This novel in verse was a story about getting lost in our way to find love and then find ourselves with the help of Love. Because there are feelings that we call love but we should not confuse love with self-distruction.
Books find you when you need them And I needed this reminder so bad.
And We Call it Love was everything I wanted in a novel in verse and more.
Madi ~☆TheBookNerdDiaries☆~
3.5

I was pleasantly surprised by this one!

(I will post my full review here and on my blog on release day,6/1/19.)
Auburn
Apr 19, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I felt as it didn’t really flow, the story line was hard to follow. You couldn’t really tell what character POV it was in other than that it had some loveable characters
DJ
Jan 07, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Copy provided by the publisher and NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

And We Call It Love is a story about two best friends, written like poetry. It read beautifully. The stories are heartbreaking, and wonderful. Clare and Zari are relatable and flawed. Each of their stories are unique, they are navigating their own lives while trying to keep their friendship strong. I loved everything about this book. The way it was written made And We Call It Love have an even bigger impact as I was re
Ritika Chhabra
Follow Just A Girl High On Books for more reviews.

I received a digital copy of this book on Netgalley.

"Love is like
an invisible string,
and no matter
where you go
or what you do
or how long
it is between talks,
it never breaks."

I have to admit that reading And We Call It Love had to be one of the best experiences I have had. I mean, the book was really sweet and simple, you know? I fairly enjoyed myself as I went through Zari and Clare's stories. Two best friends who love each other more than anything
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Minus
  • A Story about Cancer with a Happy Ending
  • One Too Many Lies
  • Cursed
  • Pourquoi les filles ont mal au ventre?
  • Who Put This Song On?