Start by marking “The Warning” as Want to Read:
The Warning

The Warning

Two roads lead to Mount Hope. None leads out. There’s no place to run in a community that’s been taken–and is being intentionally kept–off the grid.

A small southern town was evacuated after a freak power-plant accident. As the first anniversary of the mishap approaches, some residents are allowed to return past the national guard roadblocks.

Mount Hope natives Maggie and Jo
Published August 22nd 2019 by Arrow (first published August 13th 2019)

jv poore
Aug 20, 2019 rated it it was ok
Friends, I am feeling a bit frustrated.

James Patterson is my go-to author for the times that I've read, but not reviewed, way too many ARCs. It's not like I can just "not read".

So, Mr. Patterson.

Because I'm usually guaranteed to get a suck-you-in-story that is easy to walk away from. And, because it comes from the author who, rightfully, blurbs his own books, I do expect perfection.

I purchased my copy of The Warning, first-time-in-print, retail--as a finished, polished product. I am not readi
Laura Rash
Aug 15, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fair warning that this reads very much like a YA tho it’s not classified as one. But that doesn’t deter from the fact that it’s a pretty cool story. Kind of apocalyptic and futuristic and some great humor thrown in an adventurous tale.
Donna Hines
"No One can Enter! No One can Leave! No One is Safe!"
HOLY SMOKES!
A freak power plant accident leaves a town forever scarred but who knew it was literally as well as figuratively!
Nothing is as it appears! Animals attacking humans! No cell service! Military lockdown of this plant is now the norm!
I don't believe there was ever a book that had me flipping pages quicker than those by James Patterson.
I have always loved LP but the short chapters make it easier to dig in and fully enjoy every word and
John
Jul 29, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Well, what should I say about this novel. It seems the original title was called “Disasterland”, which is a good description of the writing. This should be classified as a YA genre, because it definitely reads like it. There was good humor and a decent plot in there, but it was difficult to enjoy.
Melissa Dunlavey
Aug 20, 2019 rated it did not like it
I love a good James Patterson book... however this was not one of them. While the premise sounded good, the book was more like a young adult book and not his usual work. I wish he would stop writing with other authors and coming out with a book a week and go back to focusing on the story and element of surprise which seems to be lacking in this book. Let down and would the real James Patterson please stand up and return to writing like he used to.
Linda
Aug 16, 2019 rated it did not like it
This was one of the dumbest books I’ve read and kept thinking it would get better but it never did. A year after a power plant accident, residents are allowed to return to their homes but things are not as they seem. The two main characters are Jordan and Maggie. Jordan seems to have abnormal powers while Maggie is a normal teen. They hear rumors about Ishango but have no idea of what or who this is.

I don't recommend wasting your time reading this drivel!
Natalie
Jul 15, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
great book
T.K.
Aug 21, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was so excited to read this! Robison Wells is an amazing author and I have loved everything he has written; James Patterson, not so much. But I figured the collaboration would allow Mr. Wells the notoriety he so richly deserves. Instead, this reads like a group project. Where Mr. Wells built lovable, quirky characters, Mr. Patterson laced their conversation and thoughts with an abundance of f-bombs that was incongruous with characters who quote unfashionably old movies and use the term "banana ...more
Joan
Aug 21, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
No one’s lived in Mount Hope for almost a year. An accident at the power plant caused the evacuation of the town. Now, some residents are coming home. But there’s a strong military presence, there are roadblocks on the only two roads that lead into town, and teen-agers Jordan Conners and Maggie Gooding discover that things are different.

No internet.
No cell phone service.
Animals behaving bizarrely, angry and raging, leaving the town veterinarian with no choice except to euthanize them.
No one
Michelle
Aug 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Going home can be either good or bad.In the case of Mount Hope after a disaster the people are hoping they have homes left.But sometimes even the best looking things are only wearing a disguise.Jordan and Maggie are friends and can't wait to see each other again.As are others and at first things seem well,but strange,yet well still.Eventually everything starts to unfold and slip ups happen.The curious and the brave do what they must to help themselves and those they love.When one person or thing ...more
Sheldon
Aug 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
The audio version of this teen novel sucked me in. Was it great? No! Was it more than simply readable? Yes! The narrator was really good. Hey, reading Patterson is almost like reading the newspapers. He has a different one everyday. I wonder if he writes anything himself anyway Rab E, but it doesn’t matter because he is fun.
Kami Bumgardner
Aug 22, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
What a waste of the time I spent reading this one. I'm going to guess that he wrote this one some time ago for a middle grade book, forgot about it, found it, and added a bunch of profanity to it to make it "adult fiction". T-E-R-R-I-B-L-E.
Lizz Axnick
Aug 21, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: dnf
Gave up reading.
Brenda
Aug 17, 2019 rated it liked it
A mix of the done, cujo, and AI walking dead.
Not Patterson's best, but it was ok.
Autumn Chastain
Aug 16, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ok so usually I love James Patterson books but this kinda reminded me of his book zoo, with animals going crazy and attacking humans....it wasn’t too bad just kinda there
Pauline Spurlock
Aug 21, 2019 rated it it was ok
Didn't finish it. I accidentally got this library book without realizing it was written for youth
Misty3374
Aug 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
I thought this was a good book,it was hard for me to put down.
Jordan Prince
Aug 20, 2019 rated it liked it
Started out good, went slowly down hill from there.
Tammy Adams
Aug 15, 2019 rated it it was ok
2 1/2 stars. Decent book but predictable. Not sure if it’s labeled as YA but that’s what it felt like to me.
Andy Curtiss
Official US Site
Official UK Site
JIMMY Patterson Books
ReadKiddoRead

James Patterson is the world’s bestselling author and most trusted storyteller. He has created more enduring fictional characters than any other novelist writing today, with his Alex Cross, Michael Bennett, Women’s Murder Club, Private, NYPD Red, Daniel X, Maximum Ride, and Middle School series. He has sold over 380 million books wo