Start by marking “The Warning” as Want to Read:
The Warning

The Warning

Two roads lead to Mount Hope. None leads out. There’s no place to run in a community that’s been taken–and is being intentionally kept–off the grid.

A small southern town was evacuated after a freak power-plant accident. As the first anniversary of the mishap approaches, some residents are allowed to return past the national guard roadblocks.

Mount Hope natives Maggie and Jo
Published August 22nd 2019 by Arrow (first published August 13th 2019)

To ask other readers questions about The Warning, please sign up.
Linda And I'm 78, and wouldn't recommend it to anyone over 14! I wish I'd know it was YA, but all I saw was that it was a James Patterson book, when I order…moreAnd I'm 78, and wouldn't recommend it to anyone over 14! I wish I'd know it was YA, but all I saw was that it was a James Patterson book, when I ordered the audiobook version from the library. I'd rate it 1.5 stars, but actually rounded up because I'm such a nice person. 😉
I would bet money that this was written by one of Patterson's mentees (as so many of his latest books have been)--it just doesn't have the Patterson panache.(less)

Start your review of The Warning
jv poore
Aug 20, 2019 rated it it was ok
Friends, I am feeling a bit frustrated.

James Patterson is my go-to author for the times that I've read, but not reviewed, way too many ARCs. It's not like I can just "not read".

So, Mr. Patterson.

Because I'm usually guaranteed to get a suck-you-in-story that is easy to walk away from. And, because it comes from the author who, rightfully, blurbs his own books, I do expect perfection.

I purchased my copy of The Warning, first-time-in-print, retail--as a finished, polished product. I am not readi
Laura Rash
Aug 15, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fair warning that this reads very much like a YA tho it’s not classified as one. But that doesn’t deter from the fact that it’s a pretty cool story. Kind of apocalyptic and futuristic and some great humor thrown in an adventurous tale.
Deb
Aug 25, 2019 rated it it was ok
I will rate this a 2.5. It wasn't labeled as a Young Adult.. or even Middle School...book, but it certainly read like one. Very simplistic writing at best. I feel like it was kind of a waste of time. Thank heavens it only took a day to read it. ...more
Sheila Beaumont
This is a pretty good YA science fiction thriller that really held my attention. With narration alternating between two teens named Jordan and Maggie, the story is set in a small South Carolina town where things get weirder and weirder after residents return home after an evacuation caused by an incident at the local power plant. I found it all quite entertaining, though the conclusion did seem a bit rushed.
Melissa Dunlavey
Aug 20, 2019 rated it did not like it
I love a good James Patterson book... however this was not one of them. While the premise sounded good, the book was more like a young adult book and not his usual work. I wish he would stop writing with other authors and coming out with a book a week and go back to focusing on the story and element of surprise which seems to be lacking in this book. Let down and would the real James Patterson please stand up and return to writing like he used to.
Jessica
Apr 23, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The perfect read for me right now! I'm having a little trouble concentrating, what with the Corona and all that, and this was, as advertised: A fast-paced thriller!

There's weird shiz galore: from a potential nuclear incident to animals going crazy to humans acting weird, and I was 100% on board with it. Jordan and Maggie are excellent lead characters, and I really liked Maggie and her mom and their vet clinic/house, it made for perfect home base. Towards the end I felt like stuff happened too f
Natalie M
Oct 04, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
‘The Warning’ is the ⚠️ Warning!

If Patterson contributed anything to this one, then I’m the Pope! A genre-confused (YA/Dystopian/Sci Fi/Fantasy, to list just a few), read that gets worse as it progresses.

It gets one star for contributing to my GR Challenge!

John
Jul 29, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Well, what should I say about this novel. It seems the original title was called “Disasterland”, which is a good description of the writing. This should be classified as a YA genre, because it definitely reads like it. There was good humor and a decent plot in there, but it was difficult to enjoy.
Donna Hines
"No One can Enter! No One can Leave! No One is Safe!"
HOLY SMOKES!
A freak power plant accident leaves a town forever scarred but who knew it was literally as well as figuratively!
Nothing is as it appears! Animals attacking humans! No cell service! Military lockdown of this plant is now the norm!
I don't believe there was ever a book that had me flipping pages quicker than those by James Patterson.
I have always loved LP but the short chapters make it easier to dig in and fully enjoy every word and
Shorty
This was a very easy to read, quick novel. And not just because it’s YA, either. But it was a lot of fun, sometimes funny, sometimes sweet, and almost always totally interesting novel. I couldn’t wait to see what would happen next.
Robison Wells isn’t an author ive come across before, but I’m going to try one of his novels soon. He sounds like fun.

The narrators of this novel are Christine Lakin and Will Collyer. Lakin is a wonderful narrator that I’ve heard before, and I enjoy her a great deal. C
Linda
Aug 16, 2019 rated it did not like it
This was one of the dumbest books I’ve read and kept thinking it would get better but it never did. A year after a power plant accident, residents are allowed to return to their homes but things are not as they seem. The two main characters are Jordan and Maggie. Jordan seems to have abnormal powers while Maggie is a normal teen. They hear rumors about Ishango but have no idea of what or who this is.

I don't recommend wasting your time reading this drivel!
Karen Jarvis
Sep 10, 2019 rated it it was ok
Read like a poor young adult book, and certainly didn’t have the James Patterson vibe about it. Come on Mr Patterson, don’t accept all authors just to make money, keep to what made you popular.
Adrienne
Nov 14, 2019 added it
Shelves: dnf
DNF did not take my interest
T.K.
Aug 21, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was so excited to read this! Robison Wells is an amazing author and I have loved everything he has written; James Patterson, not so much. But I figured the collaboration would allow Mr. Wells the notoriety he so richly deserves. Instead, this reads like a group project. Where Mr. Wells built lovable, quirky characters, Mr. Patterson laced their conversation and thoughts with an abundance of f-bombs that was incongruous with characters who quote unfashionably old movies and use the term "banana ...more
Siobhan
Jun 01, 2020 rated it did not like it
I’ve previously read James Patterson and was rather let down, if I’m honest. The story was interesting, but the writing style never gripped me. I put off reading more for a long time, but I finally decided to give another of his books a read.

The Warning had a lot of potential and could have been a gripping story. There were plenty of things that could have been amazing, things that should have left me powering through the story, but I found myself unable to connect. I did not care for the charac
Jane
Mar 19, 2020 rated it it was ok
Another hot mess of a book by James Patterson and A.N.Other. Started off reasonably well but just got more and more ridiculous! Why do I keep coming back for more?
Mandy White (mandylovestoread)
not his best I am afraid - read like a YA book
Leoni Dempsey
Feb 08, 2020 rated it liked it
2.5 stars rounded up to 3 stars ⭐️⭐️⭐️ this was a quick easy read but it sadly didn’t blow me away! ☹️The blurb had me intrigued (an interesting concept) but it didn’t live up to expectations. It read like a teenage novel (don’t get me wrong, I love a teenage novel if written well) and it was really rushed in places, especially the ending! All of the football references were lost on me as well. It wasn’t awful but I’m not sure I would rush to read this again.
Sue
Aug 31, 2019 rated it did not like it
Shelves: boring
This clearly should have been designated as Young Adult but JP doesn't want to cut down on his profits by labeling it as such. I returned it to the library within the first 5 chapters. There are so many books out there that I want to read that I just don't have time to waste on a YA "horror" story. Sorry JP......you just aren't worth betting on anymore. ...more
Victor The Reader
An OK story with a couple twists that centers on a power plant disaster and two high school friends, but like most of Patterson’s stand alones with coauthors, a far too familiar tale with over paced storytelling and little depth. B- (67%/Decent)
Jayne  Downes
Sep 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
A good story for young adults. The short chapters and the action packed plot holds the readers interest. An interesting theme about dangers of nuclear power and computer technology.
Donna Lewis
Dec 29, 2019 rated it liked it
Well if you suspend all thoughts of reality, you will enjoy this book. It is reminiscent of his previous series “The Zoo,” a look at a world that has gone crazy with technology. Good luck.
Joan
Aug 21, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
No one’s lived in Mount Hope for almost a year. An accident at the power plant caused the evacuation of the town. Now, some residents are coming home. But there’s a strong military presence, there are roadblocks on the only two roads that lead into town, and teen-agers Jordan Conners and Maggie Gooding discover that things are different.

No internet.
No cell phone service.
Animals behaving bizarrely, angry and raging, leaving the town veterinarian with no choice except to euthanize them.
No one
Timmy Cham
Dec 16, 2020 rated it liked it
The book I received is not the book I expected: When I
thought of a thriller involving a nuclear power plant,
authored by James Patterson, I envisioned a realistic
sci-fi thriller a la Michael Crichton: kind of like the
movie, "The China Syndrome," with a modern twist.

Nope. There are sci-fi inventions galore in this book,
introduced on a whim, without caring a fig about
verisimilitude: omniscient computers, androids,
"soul transmigration," perception falsifiers (a la the
John Carpenter film, "They Li
Ed
Sep 04, 2019 rated it it was ok
This 2019 novel from James Patterson co-authored by Robison Wells is a YA thriller. With its behavior modification, mind control and AI themes it qualifies as SciFi, and although it seems to be limited to a small South Carolina town, it has a dystopian, post apocalyptic flavor. I struggled to complete this book. Although the teen protagonists were likeable, for the most part, it was difficult to predict the maturity level they would adopt from chapter to chapter. For example, although she was ab ...more
Monica Gearhart
Sep 13, 2019 rated it liked it
I could not get into this book until I was half way through it. It did get good but confusing. Where the book starts off, it seems like there was a story before it. And the end was left open. I think Im going to only read books where it’s only by James Patterson and not him having co-writers.
Carrie Lynn Bacon
Such a great book. A little slow at first but it picks up.
Natalie
Jul 15, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
great book
Gerald Matzke
Dec 06, 2019 rated it liked it
When you pick out a James Patterson novel you expect an exciting, fast-paced mystery. What a surprise to find him dabbling in science fiction. This story follows two small town teens who make some surprising discoveries after their town had been quarantined following an accident at the nuclear power plant on their community. Strange animal behaviors and amazing feats of superhuman strength lead them to investigate the power plant and there they find more unbelievable things. Their attempt to st ...more
Pam Bahrt
Feb 01, 2020 rated it liked it
I believe this is the first James Patterson book that I have only given 3 stars to with most of them getting a 5 and sometimes a 4 star rating. This was a very quick read and I attribute it to the book having a somewhat shallow story line. The entire story was centered on 2 16-year old kids and from the very beginning I felt I had mistakenly picked a YA book. I have been known to intentionally read YA books from time to time but those stories did not seem as shallow as this was. Had it been labe ...more

• Contraband (Stone Barrington #50)
  • A Minute to Midnight (Atlee Pine, #2)
  • Stealth (Stone Barrington, #51)
  • One Good Deed (Archer, #1)
  • Treason (Stone Barrington, #52)
  • Walk the Wire (Amos Decker, #6)
  • Choppy Water (Stone Barrington, #54)
  • The New Girl (Gabriel Allon, #19)
  • Far and Away
  • The Night Window (Jane Hawk #5)
  • Outfox
  • The Summoning (Krewe of Hunters #27)
  • Someone Knows
  • Daylight (Atlee Pine, #3)
  • One on One
  • Strangers She Knows (Cape Charade, #3)
  • The Chain
  • Neon Prey (Lucas Davenport, #29)
Official US Site
Official UK Site
JIMMY Patterson Books
ReadKiddoRead

James Patterson is the world’s bestselling author and most trusted storyteller. He has created more enduring fictional characters than any other novelist writing today, with his Alex Cross, Michael Bennett, Women’s Murder Club, Private, NYPD Red, Daniel X, Maximum Ride, and Middle School series. He has sold over 380 million books wo