Start by marking “The Warning” as Want to Read:
The Warning

The Warning

Two roads lead to Mount Hope. None leads out. There’s no place to run in a community that’s been taken–and is being intentionally kept–off the grid.

A small southern town was evacuated after a freak power-plant accident. As the first anniversary of the mishap approaches, some residents are allowed to return past the national guard roadblocks.

Mount Hope natives Maggie and
Published August 22nd 2019 by Arrow (first published August 13th 2019)

To ask other readers questions about The Warning, please sign up.
Linda And I'm 78, and wouldn't recommend it to anyone over 14! I wish I'd know it was YA, but all I saw was that it was a James Patterson book, when I…moreAnd I'm 78, and wouldn't recommend it to anyone over 14! I wish I'd know it was YA, but all I saw was that it was a James Patterson book, when I ordered the audiobook version from the library. I'd rate it 1.5 stars, but actually rounded up because I'm such a nice person. 😉
I would bet money that this was written by one of Patterson's mentees (as so many of his latest books have been)--it just doesn't have the Patterson panache.(less)

Start your review of The Warning
jv poore
Aug 20, 2019 rated it it was ok
Friends, I am feeling a bit frustrated.

James Patterson is my go-to author for the times that I've read, but not reviewed, way too many ARCs. It's not like I can just "not read".

So, Mr. Patterson.

Because I'm usually guaranteed to get a suck-you-in-story that is easy to walk away from. And, because it comes from the author who, rightfully, blurbs his own books, I do expect perfection.

I purchased my copy of The Warning, first-time-in-print, retail--as a finished, polished product. I am not
Laura Rash
Aug 15, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fair warning that this reads very much like a YA tho it’s not classified as one. But that doesn’t deter from the fact that it’s a pretty cool story. Kind of apocalyptic and futuristic and some great humor thrown in an adventurous tale.
Deb
Aug 25, 2019 rated it it was ok
I will rate this a 2.5. It wasn't labeled as a Young Adult.. or even Middle School...book, but it certainly read like one. Very simplistic writing at best. I feel like it was kind of a waste of time. Thank heavens it only took a day to read it.
Natalie M
Oct 04, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
‘The Warning’ is the Warning!

If Patterson contributed anything to this one, then I’m the Pope! A genre-confused (YA/Dystopian/Sci Fi/Fantasy, to list just a few), read that gets worse as it progresses.

It gets one star for contributing to my GR Challenge!

Donna Hines
"No One can Enter! No One can Leave! No One is Safe!"
HOLY SMOKES!
A freak power plant accident leaves a town forever scarred but who knew it was literally as well as figuratively!
Nothing is as it appears! Animals attacking humans! No cell service! Military lockdown of this plant is now the norm!
I don't believe there was ever a book that had me flipping pages quicker than those by James Patterson.
I have always loved LP but the short chapters make it easier to dig in and fully enjoy every word and
Linda
Aug 16, 2019 rated it did not like it
This was one of the dumbest books I’ve read and kept thinking it would get better but it never did. A year after a power plant accident, residents are allowed to return to their homes but things are not as they seem. The two main characters are Jordan and Maggie. Jordan seems to have abnormal powers while Maggie is a normal teen. They hear rumors about Ishango but have no idea of what or who this is.

I don't recommend wasting your time reading this drivel!
Melissa Dunlavey
Aug 20, 2019 rated it did not like it
I love a good James Patterson book... however this was not one of them. While the premise sounded good, the book was more like a young adult book and not his usual work. I wish he would stop writing with other authors and coming out with a book a week and go back to focusing on the story and element of surprise which seems to be lacking in this book. Let down and would the real James Patterson please stand up and return to writing like he used to.
John
Jul 29, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Well, what should I say about this novel. It seems the original title was called “Disasterland”, which is a good description of the writing. This should be classified as a YA genre, because it definitely reads like it. There was good humor and a decent plot in there, but it was difficult to enjoy.
Adrienne
Nov 14, 2019 added it
Shelves: dnf
DNF did not take my interest
T.K.
Aug 21, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was so excited to read this! Robison Wells is an amazing author and I have loved everything he has written; James Patterson, not so much. But I figured the collaboration would allow Mr. Wells the notoriety he so richly deserves. Instead, this reads like a group project. Where Mr. Wells built lovable, quirky characters, Mr. Patterson laced their conversation and thoughts with an abundance of f-bombs that was incongruous with characters who quote unfashionably old movies and use the term ...more
Karen Jarvis
Sep 10, 2019 rated it it was ok
Read like a poor young adult book, and certainly didn’t have the James Patterson vibe about it. Come on Mr Patterson, don’t accept all authors just to make money, keep to what made you popular.
Joan
Aug 21, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
No one’s lived in Mount Hope for almost a year. An accident at the power plant caused the evacuation of the town. Now, some residents are coming home. But there’s a strong military presence, there are roadblocks on the only two roads that lead into town, and teen-agers Jordan Conners and Maggie Gooding discover that things are different.

No internet.
No cell phone service.
Animals behaving bizarrely, angry and raging, leaving the town veterinarian with no choice except to euthanize them.
No one
Ed
Sep 04, 2019 rated it it was ok
This 2019 novel from James Patterson co-authored by Robison Wells is a YA thriller. With its behavior modification, mind control and AI themes it qualifies as SciFi, and although it seems to be limited to a small South Carolina town, it has a dystopian, post apocalyptic flavor. I struggled to complete this book. Although the teen protagonists were likeable, for the most part, it was difficult to predict the maturity level they would adopt from chapter to chapter. For example, although she was ...more
Victor The Reader
An OK story with a couple twists that centers on a power plant disaster and two high school friends, but like most of Patterson’s stand alones with coauthors, a far too familiar tale with over paced storytelling and little depth. B- (67%/Decent)
Monica Gearhart
Sep 13, 2019 rated it liked it
I could not get into this book until I was half way through it. It did get good but confusing. Where the book starts off, it seems like there was a story before it. And the end was left open. I think Im going to only read books where it’s only by James Patterson and not him having co-writers.
Carrie Lynn Hayton
Such a great book. A little slow at first but it picks up.
Leoni Dempsey
Feb 08, 2020 rated it liked it
2.5 stars rounded up to 3 stars this was a quick easy read but it sadly didn’t blow me away! The blurb had me intrigued (an interesting concept) but it didn’t live up to expectations. It read like a teenage novel (don’t get me wrong, I love a teenage novel if written well) and it was really rushed in places, especially the ending! All of the football references were lost on me as well. It wasn’t awful but I’m not sure I would rush to read this again. ...more
Donna Lewis
Dec 29, 2019 rated it liked it
Well if you suspend all thoughts of reality, you will enjoy this book. It is reminiscent of his previous series “The Zoo,” a look at a world that has gone crazy with technology. Good luck.
Jayne  Downes
Sep 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
A good story for young adults. The short chapters and the action packed plot holds the readers interest. An interesting theme about dangers of nuclear power and computer technology.
Natalie
Jul 15, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
great book
Sue
Aug 31, 2019 rated it did not like it
Shelves: boring
This clearly should have been designated as Young Adult but JP doesn't want to cut down on his profits by labeling it as such. I returned it to the library within the first 5 chapters. There are so many books out there that I want to read that I just don't have time to waste on a YA "horror" story. Sorry JP......you just aren't worth betting on anymore.
Michelle
Oct 03, 2019 rated it liked it
I haven’t read a James Patterson book in quite some time and since he used to be my FAVORITE author for thrillers and mysteries about 10 years ago I felt that should change. I was his biggest fan and his books blew my mind that is until Gillian Flynn came along 7 years ago and made my jaw hit the floor. To me, the difference between writers like James Patterson and writers like Gillian Flynn, Claire Mackintosh, Shari Lapena, Megan Miranda, John Marrs, Harlan Coben, etc. is that with Patterson ...more
Gerald Matzke
Dec 06, 2019 rated it liked it
When you pick out a James Patterson novel you expect an exciting, fast-paced mystery. What a surprise to find him dabbling in science fiction. This story follows two small town teens who make some surprising discoveries after their town had been quarantined following an accident at the nuclear power plant on their community. Strange animal behaviors and amazing feats of superhuman strength lead them to investigate the power plant and there they find more unbelievable things. Their attempt to ...more
Jaime
Oct 11, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
The plot was a very good concept, but it wasn’t for me. The animal cruelty in this book, was very hard for me to take.
James Patterson is my favorite author, so I was highly disappointed that I didn’t like this book.
He tried to write a futuristic, young adult book and it really didn’t work at all.
Brandy
Oct 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I liked this book. It read like a Young Adult book. But it isn't. I loved the characters Jordan and Maggie! Great Story!
Harold Walters
Sep 09, 2019 rated it liked it
Young Adult. End of life as we know it...
Mark
Though not labeled as YA fiction, its dystopian/Sci-fi elements lead me to feel it belongs there...Teens in an isolated South Carolina town find themselves part of a web created by an AI supercomputer that's reached singularity...Not a genre I generally read or enjoy!
Janet Nanni
An interesting story line. Liked that the antagonist was not revealed until late in the story.
Xocheta
Dec 29, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I finished it because it was a gift, but I suffered through it all with the bad plot, lazy writing and cheap story.
Timothy M. Gorman
Sep 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
Not a big sci-fi fan. Didn't know this book was in that genre and more suited for YA. Still not a bad story.

• Contraband (Stone Barrington, #50)
  • Stealth (Stone Barrington, #51)
  • Kiss the Girls and Make Them Cry
  • A Minute to Midnight (Atlee Pine, #2)
  • One Good Deed
  • Outfox
  • Labyrinth (FBI Thriller #23)
  • The Dark Side
  • Bloody Genius (Virgil Flowers, #12)
  • The Guardians
  • Smokescreen (Eve Duncan, #25)
  • Sins of the Fathers (J.P. Beaumont #24)
  • Treason (Stone Barrington, #52)
  • Twisted Twenty-Six (Stephanie Plum, #26)
  • Robert B. Parker's The Bitterest Pill (Jesse Stone, #18)
  • Genesis (Jack Stapleton & Laurie Montgomery, #12)
  • Hindsight (Kendra Michaels, #7)
  • Child's Play
Official US Site
Official UK Site
JIMMY Patterson Books
ReadKiddoRead

James Patterson is the world’s bestselling author and most trusted storyteller. He has created more enduring fictional characters than any other novelist writing today, with his Alex Cross, Michael Bennett, Women’s Murder Club, Private, NYPD Red, Daniel X, Maximum Ride, and Middle School series. He has sold over 380 million books