Start by marking “Danger's Hour: The Story of the USS Bunker Hill and the Kamikaze Pilot Who Crippled Her” as Want to Read:

4.07  ·  Rating details ·  173 Ratings  ·  22 Reviews
Band of Brothers meets Masters of the Air in this riveting history of the deadly kamikaze attack on the USS Bunker Hill in the final days of World War II---as told by an author with a unique historical vantage point.
In the closing months of World War II, Americans found themselves facing a new and terrifying weapon: kamikazes – the first men to use airplanes as suicide w
Published November 11th 2008 by Simon & Schuster

To ask other readers questions about Danger's Hour, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Danger's Hour

Eric_W
Jul 09, 2009 rated it really liked it
What to make of this book. Not being a professional historian working in this area but with some interest in things nautical, I have no in-depth knowledge of the factual nature of this book. Nevertheless, there were some little things that struck me: the Langley (CV-1)described as having begin its life as a light cruiser (it was a collier - note that a later USS Langley CV-17 was indeed originally ordered as a light cruiser), “heads” being called bathrooms, the “rising sun” insignia described as ...more
'Aussie Rick'
Jun 13, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-military, ww2, naval
This book is an excellent account of the USS Bunker Hill and the Japanese pilot who nearly destroyed her during the final months of the fighting in the Pacific during WW2. The account of the men who sailed and died on the USS Bunker Hill and the story of the brave Kamikaze pilot who dove his plane into the ship flowed effortlessly and it was hard to put the book down. For anyone who would like to learn more about why these men gave their lives during WW2, from both perspectives, this would be a ...more
Paul Pessolano
Jan 10, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
“Danger’s Hour, The Story of the USS Bunker Hill and the Kamikaze Pilot Who Crippled Her”, by Maxwell Taylor Kennedy, published by Simon & Schuster.

Category – History/World War II Publication Date – November 11, 2008

The Japanese Kamikaze attack on the USS Bunker Hill was the worse suicide attack against America until September 11.

“Danger’s Hour” is really three books in one. The first part of the book gives a general outline of the causes of World War II and the emergence of the Aircraft Car
Andy
Feb 11, 2009 rated it really liked it
This book is an extremely readable account of Japan’s mounting desperation during the final years of WWII, leading eventually to the formation of the Tokkotai (Kamikaze) units and, on May 11th, 1945, the severe wounding of the U.S. aircraft carrier Bunker Hill by two young Japanese pilots. Kennedy has done a great job of reconstructing the personal experiences of the Japanese pilots and several of the men aboard the Bunker Hill, giving a fairly even-handed account of life on both sides of the co ...more
William
Mar 26, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2009
Even if the author often slips into moments where he jumps between paragraphs without any transition, the amount of research he put into this work is obvious, and the narrative never seems to lag. Most importantly, the author provides a glimpse into that time that few other historical narratives offer: Kennedy tells us exactly how the combatants from both sides lived and often died. A treasure of interesting detail that still does not hide the bigger story. And give the author much credit for hi ...more
Janice Russell
Sep 09, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I don't usually read non-fiction about World War II, but this one was of special interest because my father served on the Bunker Hill. His cousin, Bob Stock, was also on the carrier and against all rules, kept a journal. I have a copy and I followed Kennedy's account with what Bob wrote.
Grant Kisling
Aug 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: history
You are either going to enjoy or hate this author's writing style as he can jump topics fairly dramatically between different paragraphs. I found this to be a great way to convey related information in a very engaging manner.

This book is engaging, well researched, and moving.

A great read for history fans.
Frances
Nov 13, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: history
Not for the faint of heart. As a burn survivor, the descriptions of the victims, their pain, the lack of knowledge available, before The Vietnam War, of how to deal with burns, resulted in several nights of sleeplessness. I was appalled by the methods used on the young Japanese college students to gradually deprive them "of self" and get them to the position of "He was volunteered for it" (p.184). The loss of Japan's youngest and brightest certainly has given me a new perspective on the current ...more
Jess
Dec 24, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I bought this book because my grandfather served on the USS Bunker Hill. He was a part of and witnessed a great deal of the events described in this book. The writing isn't fantastic but he tells the story and I have a great deal of respect for those in the Armed Forces and anyone willing to tell their story should be commended for their work.
Tad Deshler
Oct 14, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
What an amazing and horrific story. I've always thought aircraft carriers were virtually indestructible, but clearly this vintage had some serious vulnerabilities. My great uncle was on the Bunker Hill during this attack, but sadly he passed away recently and I never heard the story of his experiences on that ship.
Matt
Apr 14, 2012 rated it liked it
This was a good book. Not great, but it kept my interest. I really enjoyed the background on how the kamikaze program came about and the underpinnings of it the Japanese culture, but the book took too long to get the the event and spent too little time detailing it. There were many parts that felt repetitive.
Shara Clark
Dec 20, 2015 rated it really liked it
Pretty good book. Very descriptive of the accounts of the personnel involved. At times it was hard to read from a humanitarian point of view. I choose to read this because my grandfather was onboard as a sailor at the time of the kamikaze impacts. I was too young to talk to him about it before he passed, so I felt reading it would somehow "reconnect" me to him.
Matt
Dec 25, 2014 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this read. Author does a solid job setting the period and progress of the war in the Pacific. Nice buildup with e history of the Carriers and what life was like for the men involved. Good idea of the mentality of the Japanese and the mentality behind the Kamikaze pilots.

Very good read overall whether you are a WWII expert or a dabbling novice. good level of detail.

Solid 4 *s
Carol
Sep 09, 2012 rated it it was amazing

A very well written book about the attack on the Bunker Hill and the events before and after. A story of bravery, desperation and self sacrifice. A highly recommended book about the war in the Pacific.
Anthony Bracciante
Jan 14, 2016 rated it really liked it
While telling the story of the kamikaze attack on the USS Bunker Hill in great detail this book also clearly illustrates the conditions and mindset that led kamikaze pilots to do what they did. This book is a must read for anyone interested in the history of the Pacific theater in World War II.
jaydro
May 29, 2009 rated it did not like it
I had to give up after the first sixty pages. The book reads like it was written in outline form with the paragraphs filled in by a team--there is a lot of repetition and absolutely no flow, even within some of the paragraphs.
Evanston Public  Library
During the last days of World War II Japan desperately trained their "best and brightest" as kamikaze pilots to destroy American aircraft carriers. The author explores the determination of the Japanese efforts to frustrate American power. (Tess A., Reader's Services)
Beth
Jan 14, 2009 marked it as to-read
Just learned about this one from The Daily Show. I'm not usually into WWII military history, but my grandmother's brother was on the USS Bunker Hill when it was kamikaze'd, so I have a personal interest in the topic.
Shawn
Apr 03, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Meticulously researched and excellent read.
Jim
Jan 10, 2009 added it
the utmost horror of war. being in the us navy (1952-56) my ship**i was not on at the time was kamikazed) was very interesting to read about. **uss borie dd704
Damon Hall
Apr 07, 2012 rated it it was ok
Good idea, not badly written but poorly fact-checked/edited. Too many little errors that were hard to ignore and took away from a story that needed to be told.
Taylor
I truly enjoyed this history book about the US Navy, particularly aircraft carriers, and the Japanese Navy and Kamikaze pilots during WWII. Definitely recommend to fans of war history.
Andy R
lbert buro
Dec 31, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
  • A Dawn Like Thunder: The True Story of Torpedo Squadron Eight
  • Sailors to the End: The Deadly Fire on the USS Forrestal and the Heroes Who Fought It
  • Enterprise: America's Fightingest Ship and the Men Who Helped Win World War II
  • The Retreat: Hitler's First Defeat
  • The Ultimate Battle: Okinawa, 1945: The Last Epic Struggle of World War II
  • Fire In The Sky: The Air War In The South Pacific
  • Operation Drumbeat: Germany's U-Boat Attacks Along the American Coast in World War II
  • Battle of Leyte Gulf: 23-26 October 1944
  • The Mighty Eighth: The Air War in Europe as Told by the Men Who Fought It
  • Manstein: Hitler's Greatest General
  • The Twilight Warriors: The Deadliest Naval Battle of World War II and the Men Who Fought It
  • For Crew and Country: The Inspirational True Story of Bravery and Sacrifice Aboard the USS Samuel B. Roberts
  • Fortress Malta: An Island Under Siege 1940-43
  • Battleground Prussia: The Assault on Germany's Eastern Front 1944–45
  • Fortress Rabaul: The Battle for the Southwest Pacific, January 1942-April 1943 (Rabaul Trilogy, #2)
  • Pursuit The Chase and Sinking of the Bismarck
  • Hero of the Pacific: The Life of Marine Legend John Basilone
  • "Bismarck": A Minute-by-minute Account of the Final Hours of Germany's Greatest Battleship