Start by marking “Have You Seen Luis Velez?” as Want to Read:
Have You Seen Luis Velez?

Have You Seen Luis Velez?

From New York Times bestselling author Catherine Ryan Hyde comes a moving novel about two strangers who find that kindness is a powerful antidote to fear.

Raymond Jaffe feels like he doesn’t belong. Not with his mother’s new family. Not as a weekend guest with his father and his father’s wife. Not at school, where he’s an outcast. After his best friend moves away, Raymond h
Expected publication: May 21st 2019 by Lake Union Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Have You Seen Luis Velez?, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Have You Seen Luis Velez?

Sherri Thacker
5 stars ⭐ ⭐ ⭐ ⭐ ⭐ What do you get when the main characters are a 92 year old woman and a 17 year old boy? A fabulous book about 2 people - Mildred and Raymond. Just a wonderful “feel good” book. I loved the characters, I loved the storyline, loved the whole thing! Of course, I love everything that Catherine Ryan Hyde writes!! Thank you to NetGalley and the publisher for providing me this book for my honest review.

This book is due to be published in May 2019.
Jean
Jan 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I loved everything about this book! The young man's compassion for the older
neighbor is something very rare. I enjoyed it so much. I also loved the lessons
he learned as he completed task after task for his blind neighbor. I loved the hurdles
he goes through for her. Also, this is a beautiful story about life, love, and family.
Especially family that is no blood relation.

The book flows well and keeps your attention page after page. I loved the characters,
I didn't want to see the book come to an en
Andrea Phelps
Jan 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I absolutely loved this book!!! Actually, I love pretty much anything by Catherine Ryan Hyde. This was a sad book at times, but it was also a book that makes you feel good inside and one of those that makes you want to be a better person.
Janet
Jan 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Five stars plus five stars plus five more! This is one of my favorite books I’ve ever read. I love reading books from this author and now I love them even more. She tells a story with characters that are so real that they could be your neighbors or even in your family. They talk, interact as normal people. And the stories she tells bring you into them and don’t let you go just because the book ends. Raymond, a 16-17 year old young man is definitely the hero of this book. He’s not one of the popu ...more
Andrew Langert
Jan 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: best-of-2019
I read an ARC of this book provided by NetGalley.
Another inspiring piece of work by prolific author Catherine Ryan Hyde.
The plot is very simple. The first half of the book is about a 17-year-old boy’s search for Luis Velez, a man who had been providing regular assistance to a 92-year-old blind woman also living in the boy’s apartment building. But, without notice, Luis Velez was no longer helping the old woman, so the young boy befriended her and made it his business to find Luis Velez or find o
Marj Ward
Jan 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wow! What an amazing book. It is going to the top of my Best Books of 2019 list. Raymond is a 17 year old boy who doesn't think he fits in anywhere. Not at home with his mother, step father and step sisters. Not with his father and step mother. Not at school after his only friend moves away. There is a stray cat that he feeds. Mildred is a 92 year old blind Holocaust survivor. When Mildred's caregiver stops coming around she is lost. When Raymond comes across her in his apartment building she as ...more
Ruth
Jan 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
Not what I expected but so much more! Great for both teens and adults as the book deals with all types of emotions and situations most of us experience, especially those as a teenager trying to make sense of the world. The world needs more of these kinds of thoughtful, interesting and considerate people.
Cheryl
Jan 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019
I so enjoyed this title. This is a very thought-provoking story that tugs at your heart. The characters in this story are interesting and human. The situations and characters behavior felt real. This story shows the kindness in the world as well as the prejudicial unkindness. The journey that Raymond makes is inspiring. I didn't want it to end.
Terri
Jan 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book will be released on May 21, 2019 - READ IT!
Alexis
Jan 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another beautifully written book by Catherine Ryan Hyde about a friendship that formed between a young man named Raymond and an elderly woman named Miliie and the friends they met along the way.
Lyndi
Jan 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley-2019
I received a complimentary copy of this book through Netgalley. Opinions expressed in this review are completely my own.
A story about an unlikely friendship between a young seventeen year old boy and his elderly blind neighbor. About prejudices we all have and don't always realize. About doing more to bring someone happiness.
I absolutely loved the character of Raymond. He just wants a place to belong and doesn't seem to fit in anywhere, even in his own family. Then he finds friendship with this
Denice
Jan 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
When I started this book I wasn't sure I was going to like this story. But I fell in love with the characters and plot. This is a coming of of age tale, beautifully told through the voice of Raymond, a young man preparing to graduate from high school. Raymond feels he doesn't fit in, either at school, nor at home but this changes when he befriends a blind, elderly woman, Mildred Gutterman (Mrs.G), another tenant in his apartment building. Together they search for her former caretaker, Luis Velez ...more
E.Gadoury
Jan 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Thank you very much to NetGalley and Catherine Ryan Hyde for this honor to review this novel Have You Seen Luis Velez..
Whew, where do I begin? Ms.Catherine Ryan Hyde is my favorite author. I want to do her writing justice in my review. What an amazingly touching novel. I wept from happiness, the injustice, the kindness of Raymond Jaffe and his new friends.
Mildred Gutermann, A 92-year-old, blind German Jew who narrowly escaped the Holocaust, has been alone since her caretaker disappeared. She tur
Jean
Dec 27, 2018
Deborah
Jan 09, 2019
Julie
Jan 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Thank you to NetGalley and Lake Union for an advanced read in exchange for this review.

Raymond is 17 and feels like an outcast.  His dad is remarried, and he feels like his mom and stepdad don't like him.  His only friend has moved away.  He soon befriends a 92 year old woman whose opening statement is "Have you seen Luis Valez?"  He soon finds himself on a mission to find him to help her.

Catherine Ryan Hyde writes heartfelt fiction, and this book is exactly that.  At first, I wondered if this w
Robin
Michelle
Dec 23, 2018
Kristen Bemies
Dec 24, 2018
I am the author of more than 30 published and forthcoming books, including ALLIE AND BEA, SAY GOODBYE FOR NOW, LEAVING BLYTHE RIVER, ASK HIM WHY, WORTHY, THE LANGUAGE OF HOOFBEATS, TAKE ME WITH YOU, WHERE WE BELONG, WHEN I FOUND YOU, WALK ME HOME, SECOND HAND HEART, DON'T LET ME GO, and WHEN YOU WERE OLDER.

I'm an avid hiker, traveler, equestrian, and amateur photographer, and have released my fir