Start by marking “Have You Seen Luis Velez?” as Want to Read:
Have You Seen Luis Velez?

Have You Seen Luis Velez?

4.46  ·  Rating details ·  8,299 ratings  ·  1,028 reviews
Raymond Jaffe feels like he doesn't belong. Not with his mother's new family. Not as a weekend guest with his father and his father's wife. Not at school, where he's an outcast. After his best friend moves away, Raymond has only two real connections: to the feral cat he's tamed and to a blind ninety-two-year-old woman in his building who's introduced herself with a curious ...more
Published May 21st 2019 by Lake Union Publishing

·  8,299 ratings  ·  1,028 reviews

Start your review of Have You Seen Luis Velez?
Angela M
Jun 01, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It’s feel good and uplifting, a story about finding kindness and the goodness of people when and where it’s least expected. It was just what I needed. I’ve read so many tough stories these last months and watched way too much news reflecting the nastiness of our current political discourse. I needed a break. However, this is not what I would consider a light read. There are some serious and thought provoking themes, but the goodness of people that is reflected here gives one a little hope and ...more
Christine
May 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Christine by: Amazon ad, Aga/Erin C reviews
5 stars

Catherine Ryan Hyde is an author I have been eyeing for years, and I have about a half dozen of her novels downloaded on my kindle. Finally, after seeing some superb reviews for Have You Seen Luis Velez? I decided to finally dive in and read one of her books.

This is a shining little gem. It is simply written, but laden with wisdom and life-affirming inspiration. It’s a tale about Raymond, a 16-year-old boy with an unhappy home life (“I just don’t fit in”), and his 92-year-old neighbor
marilyn
May 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
"Have You Seen Luis Velez?" will encourage you to look outside of yourself and see what is really around you, who is really around you. To try to put yourself into the shoes of those not like yourself, so you can understand how others might think and feel. This book is full of heart and feeling and left me knowing there is always something I can do to make this world a better place.

Raymond is a 16 year old black young man who feels like he belongs nowhere. His lives with his white mom, white
Erin
May 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley, kindle
Such a beautiful story! Grab this one my friends and make sure the tea is hot, the cats are purring and that you have a great stock of tissue paper( Kleenex) on hand. When Raymond, an African American teenager befriends the elderly blind woman in his apartment building to help her find a friend, Luis Velez, a tale of friendship, family, and forgiveness begins.

I absolutely adored this book and I cannot wait to hear from other readers about their own reactions to it. But I am also feeling
Carolyn
May 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Dale
This is a wonderful, heart warming book which I feel sure many different readers will enjoy!

When 16 year Raymond meets Millie, a 92 year old blind woman who lives in his apartment block, she is outside her apartment looking for Luis Velez, a young man who has been coming weekly for the last four years to take her to the bank and the shops. It's been more than two weeks since he last visited and Millie is worried something bad has happened to him - and she's down to her last can of soup. Raymond
Nadia
Jun 05, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, contemporary
Have You Seen Luis Velez is a story of a boy who doesn't fit in and forms an unlikely friendship with his 92-year-old neighbour. Raymond is 17 years old and his only friend just moved away, leaving him with no friends. One morning on his way to school, he meets one of his neighbours on the second floor landing, looking for Luis . 92-year-old Millie is blind and Luis used to do her shopping for her until he mysteriously disappeared a few weeks ago. Millie is now running out of food. Raymond with ...more
Victoria
Sep 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
A heartwarming tale that brings light into darkness...

This is a story about possibilities and grace. About finding friendship and acceptance from the unlikeliest person, connections through unforeseen circumstances and, above all, community and love. It broke my heart, mended it, broke it again and then left me with a an open heart and a feeling of hope.

I don’t do summaries, but in short, Raymond, a teenager, finds Millie, a blind, nonagenarian wandering the halls of his building asking if
Tara Rock
Jun 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
I rarely read young adult novels and into the first few chapters thought I had made a mistake on this one. As I proceeded I was in awe of how deftly the author had inner woven very interesting characters with "Lessons" . There are Lessons on courage, predjudice, compassion, humility, integrity, loyalty, empathy, openmindedness, and more. The message delivered deserves 10 stars as it is powerful and by example; But, I am now very anxious to move on to murders, bloodlettting and things that go ...more
Karren  Sandercock
May 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
Thanks to NetGalley, Lake Union Publishing and Catherine Ryan Hyde for my advanced copy of Have You Seen Luis Velez.
What a brilliant book and I loved it.
Raymond Jaffe is a mixed race 16 year old young man he lives with his mum, step father and three younger sisters. His father has married again, he stays with them every second weekend and his fathers new wife can't be bothered with him. He feels unwanted, unloved and a burden to everyone.
Raymond struggles to fit in at school, he has one friend
Erin Clemence
Mar 20, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: first-reads, kindle
Thanks to the publisher and NetGalley for a free, electronic ARC of this novel in exchange for an honest review.

“Have You Seen Luis Velez?” is the question that starts it all. Raymond Jaffe is a teenager, who doesn’t fit in with his family and is trying to deal with his best friend moving away, when an elderly blind woman asks him about Luis Velez. Soon, Raymond is not only helping the elderly woman with her weekly errands, but he also takes on the mystery himself and is soon searching
Amy
May 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
If you’re searching for a book to give you all the feels and one that will also restore your faith in humanity my friends then look no further. I’ve become a super fan of CRH over the past few years and this is my favorite of hers to date. Well, of the ones I’ve actually read because have you seen her backlist?! Impressive. But seriously, this is a special book and one that I won’t soon forget.

The driving force behind what makes a CRH fantastic is the incredible characterization, no doubt about
Sherri Thacker
5 stars What do you get when the main characters are a 92 year old woman and a 17 year old boy? A fabulous book about 2 people - Mildred and Raymond. Just a wonderful “feel good” book. I loved the characters, I loved the storyline, loved the whole thing! Of course, I love everything that Catherine Ryan Hyde writes!! Thank you to NetGalley and the publisher for providing me this book for my honest review.

This book is due to be published in May 2019.
Brenda
Raymond Jaffe was sad his best friend was leaving. Other than Andre, he had no other friends at school. So when an elderly woman in his apartment block stopped him with a question – “Have you seen Luis Velez?” Raymond spoke to her. Mildred Gutermann – call me Millie – had been alone in her apartment for the past seventeen days as Luis, who helped her with everyday chores, had disappeared. She was down to her last half can of soup which she’d been rationing. Raymond immediately determined he ...more
Judy Collins
Top Books of 2019!!!!! Top Audiobook of 2019!!!! I adore all Catherine Ryan Hyde books but HAVE YOU SEEN LUIS VELEZ is my absolute favorite since Take Me With You. The narrator Michael Crouch was award-winning! EXTRAORDINARY. LOVED Timely. Inspiring. Captivating.

More coming when back to my computer. Every person in this world needs to read this book and our world would be a much better place. TOPS!!!! 10 stars.
ʚϊɞ Shelley ʚϊɞ
May 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
It struck him odd that he’d had to come to the home of a blind woman to be seen clearly.

Catherine Ryan Hyde has been one of my favourite go to authors since she came out with Pay it Forward in 1999. Have You Seen Luis Velez? just proves it is always smart to read a new book by a beloved writer. The beginning of this book made me think of Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close, because it has a child searching for something throughout New York, but that is where the similarities end.

For me - this
Carole
I won this book from the author on her blog!
I encourage you to get a copy of this thoughtful & inspirational story. I loved Ramon, a 17 year old boy who feels like no one listens or understands him. He meets Mildred or “Mrs G”, a 92 year old, blind woman who lives in his building. She needs help getting to the bank and grocery store because her friend Luis Velez has disappeared. Ramon & Mrs G form a friendship that is unlikely but so special. I felt so inspired and encouraged by this
Linda
Jun 29, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An enjoyable, uplifting story with memorable characters not as good as the author’s Pay It Forward but one that I can see being made into a movie in the future.
Michelle
Aug 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The Cats’ Mother
What a wonderful book! I have read and mostly really enjoyed a few by this author previously, so jumped at the chance of an ARC, not really worrying about what it was about. Well this is her best yet, a moving story about an unusual friendship between two very special characters.

Raymond, a sixteen year old from New York who feels he doesn’t fit in with his new family after his parents’ divorce, meets an elderly lady, Millie, who lives in the same building and is asking passing strangers whether
Janet C-B
This is the story of Raymond, a teen of mixed racial background, who lives in an apartment building in New York. Raymond's only friend moves away early in the story, leaving Raymond friendless, and unable to relate to his peers. He feels alienated from Mom & step-father who he lives with in a modest apartment building, as well as his Dad & stepmother who live in an upscale area in Manhattan. Raymond meets Mildred, an elderly blind woman, who lives in his building and has lost her ...more
Gina *loves sunshine*
rounding up to 4 GR stars - even though this was a 3.5 read for me. Fabulously written story of a boy Raymond, an elderly woman, and the man....Luis Velez ~ who helped her. I do highly recommend this book to those that love the fiction genre. Definitely a very poignant look at the elderly, coming of age, helpfulness, kindness and the court system.

I don't read much of the fiction genre anymore - I find I love heart pounding, angst, love, banter, craziness and snark more than I love a nice
AnaLisa Odetunde
I absolutely loved it! It was a refreshing reminder that there are good people still in our society, and that a simple act of kindness can change lives.
Jean
Jan 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I loved everything about this book! The young man's compassion for the older
neighbor is something very rare. I enjoyed it so much. I also loved the lessons
he learned as he completed task after task for his blind neighbor. I loved the hurdles
he goes through for her. Also, this is a beautiful story about life, love, and family.
Especially family that is no blood relation.

The book flows well and keeps your attention page after page. I loved the characters,
I didn't want to see the book come to an
Carmen Blankenship
Feb 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Yes! Yes yes yes. An amazingly uplifting and timely story about humanity. That's the bare bones of but it was filled with so much heart. I adored the main character by the end of the first chapter. An awkward and sensitive young man who seems painfully lonely. Until he meets an elderly women who lives in his building.

Their meeting changes both of theirs and I never wanted to stop reading about them. A magnificent story and one that will resonate for quite sometime.
Kathryn in FL
This book has a lot going on within the covers. A ninety-two year old, white woman and her young, seventeen year old, biracial neighbor take us, readers on a journey to examine racism, those who are disenfranchised by race, beliefs, disabilities, ageism and a few other topics thrown in. While these are a lot of issues to pack in one novel, Ms. Ryan Hyde manages to incorporate them in one cohesive story, albeit superficial manner.

Raymond Jaffe agrees to help his elderly neighbor, Mrs. G with
Andrea Pole
Jul 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley
Have You Seen Luis Velez? by Catherine Ryan Hyde is the beautiful story of an unlikely friendship between a seventeen year old boy and his ninety-two year old neighbour. This is a heartwarming read about finding a sense of belonging in a sometimes cold and chaotic world. This novel was a bit of a departure from the genres that I normally gravitate toward, but I am so happy that I took a chance and was so richly rewarded as a result.

Raymond Jaffe is a teenage boy who feels unsure of his place in
La La
I would give this book six stars if I could.
Paul Edlund
This is book is sweet and uplifting, but it's themes were not very subtle. At one point I searched for a description of the book because I thought I had mistakenly picked up a YA novel. I hate to be cynical but taking the preaching down a notch could have really helped this book.
Bibliophagist89
Jun 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Evelina | AvalinahsBooks
It isn't often that I pry myself away from a book in an attempt to get some sleep already, and yet fail to fall asleep because I keep thinking PLEASE MAKE THIS BOOK A BESTSELLER, GOD, PLEASEEEEE. In fact, this is the first such case. Yes, I have stayed awake because of books before. But I'm not sure I have ever stayed up because I was begging a higher power to make a book a bestseller. Especially with how much I dislike that particular term.*

* I mean, have you noticed that 90% of the authors

• Dancing with the Sun
  • The Secrets of Lost Stones
  • The Star and the Shamrock
  • Every Thing You Are
  • Thin Air (Jessica Shaw #1)
I am the author of more than 30 published and forthcoming books, including ALLIE AND BEA, SAY GOODBYE FOR NOW, LEAVING BLYTHE RIVER, ASK HIM WHY, WORTHY, THE LANGUAGE OF HOOFBEATS, TAKE ME WITH YOU, WHERE WE BELONG, WHEN I FOUND YOU, WALK ME HOME, SECOND HAND HEART, DON'T LET ME GO, and WHEN YOU WERE OLDER.

I'm an avid hiker, traveler, equestrian, and amateur photographer, and have released my
“when you decide to be alone or have a family, you’re pretty much choosing between feeling lonely or feeling aggravated.” 1 likes
“People laugh at things they don't understand. It makes them feel safe. But it's a false feeling. They are no safer. They just feel as if they are. The world is full of people too foolish to judge the difference.” 0 likes