Start by marking “The Last Human” as Want to Read:
The Last Human

The Last Human

In a future when humans are believed to be extinct, what will one curious robot do when it finds a girl who needs its help?

In the future, robots have eliminated humans, and 12-year-old robot XR_935 is just fine with that. Without humans around, there is no war, no pollution, no crime. Every member of society has a purpose. Everything runs smoothly and efficiently. Unt
Hardcover
Published October 8th 2019 by Abrams Books (first published August 29th 2019)

To ask other readers questions about The Last Human, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Last Human

Start your review of The Last Human
Jennifer Jimenez
This is an incredibly sweet and thought/conversation provoking middle grade novel. I thoroughly enjoyed the world-building, the writing, and the characters. I'll definitely be passing this on to kids I know to read!
Emily Masters
May 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book was my FAVORITE kind of scifi. Three robot buddies, a 12yo human girl, and an adventure. I can see kids from 4th-9th grade falling in love with these characters like I did.
Nicole Wagner
Sep 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
A very wholesome younger middle grade dystopian novel in which robots have gained true AI, taken over and eliminated humanity from the surface of the world.

...or so THEY think! One twelve year old girl is discovered by a worker drone robot (who is also twelve...cute, right?) and proves to be less of an evil entity than the daily robot propaganda has led it to believe. Robot and human gain rapport, human is on a perilous mission, robot breaks robot protocol to help human.

Sweet themes
Susie Wang
A decent middle grade novel. A setting very much similar to the movie WALL-E.

Let's be honest, it's not the most original thing. It's a story we've all heard or even came up with ourselves.

It's a nice story for kids, though. I would recommend it to my nephew if there was a Chinese version.

It's got themes about humanity, friendship, and even a bit about why we should pace ourselves and mind the environment.
Ms. Yingling
E ARC provided by Edelweiss Plus

I read this, but the pages of the E ARC moved so slowly that it took about two weeks to get through this. I loved this author's Joshua Dread series, and this was a solid robot adventure, but I don't feel I can review this properly. I'll buy a library copy and will need to read it again. Definitely take a look if robot adventures are popular in your library!

Clarabel
Not my cup of tea ! *** 2.5 stars ***
Flor Méndez
Nov 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2018, digital, inglés
Fue muy tierno <3 la amistad entre la humana y el robot, el desarrollo de la amistad, las decisiones que toman... muy, muy lindo.
Tracy
Aug 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
I received an ARC of this book at ALA in Washington D.C.

Told in first robot, the book starts out with the first days of XR_935 and then flashes 12 year ahead. XR is a dutiful robot installing solar panels for all of robot-kind to use to generate electricity to recharge. There are no more humans- they are extinct. Humans did so many terrible things and PRES1D3NT reminds them of that ever day during its address. XR is faced with a dilemma one day, he meets a human name Emma. She needs
Kim Bongiorno
This felt special, like how you're reading a book and there are simple sentences and simple actions and things but those simple sentences and things have so many meanings and layers that you just stop reading and go WHOA WHOA WHOA HOLD IT RIGHT THERE MISTER AUTHOR SIR WHAT DID YOU JUST DO WITH MY FEELINGS AND WHATNOT I CAME HERE FOR THE FUN NOT THE SUBTLE LIFE LESSONS then you keep reading and you fall in love with every character and think you'll stop after this chapter but lol no that is so no ...more
Rachel
Oct 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: older-childrens
I liked the characters in this book. Robots have killed all humans because humans were ruining the earth. 3 robots who work together each day installing solar panels discover a human girl hiding from them and decide to help her escape certain death. It has good characters and the plot moves quickly with some laughs thrown in as well. If you have a child who is looking for dystopian chapter book this one could fill the bill.
WheeldonHS
This was a great read! The characters and world-building were well done and the story is full of great discussion points.

The writing style is a little stilted but that's intentional (I assume) since the story is narrated by a robot.

It's a little longer than it needed to be but otherwise I have no complaints.
Janis
Aug 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
This enjoyable story follows a trio of robots as they assist a human girl. In the past, robots had taken over from the destructive, war-mongering human race so it was a surprise when a girl appeared from a hidden colony of humans, in search of help for her people. It’s a lovely, thoughtful story that offers tension and excitement – and will be available for lucky middle-readers in October 2019.
Elizabeth Mellen
Nov 01, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This gave me such The Wild Robot vibes and I was here for it. This has been a great month for middle grade reads for me. I actually got this one from the library because I failed at the Owlcrate Jr clues 😅 and thought this was what was going to be in there. But I don’t care, this was perfect. This had a lot of the things I’ve loved in middle grade reads recently : post-apocalyptic vibes, robots on journey’s and learning to feel, and some mild danger but nothing too scary.
Charlotte
Nov 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019, lib19
I really liked the main robot character and its growth toward self awareness! a book that's both sweet, and fun, and tensly exciting -- great for younger mg readers. (9-10 year olds).
Lori Martin
Nov 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Such a sweet, easy read.
Willem
Nov 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Zeer interessante en goed opgebouwde wereld. Ik heb het met veel plezier gelezen
Jamie
May 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Such an entertaining and moving book! The story is narrated by a robot that has been programmed to believe that all humans are dangerous—and then it meets a 12 year old girl who appears be the last living human.
Three of the four main characters are robots: XR_935 whose designer has given him a complete database of history and information to do his job; his work companion Ceeron, a super strong robot that was designed to do heavy lifting; and SkD, who communicates only through emojis. When XR_
Julie Williams

• Pet
  • Just Jaime
  • The Mystwick School of Musicraft
  • Haaientanden
  • The Good Luck Girls (The Good Luck Girls, #1)
  • The Crossover
  • Guts
  • Emmy in the Key of Code
  • Show Stopper (Show Stopper #1)
  • Furious Thing
  • Best Friends (Real Friends, #2)
  • Fearless Felines: 30 True Tales of Courageous Cats
  • Captain Rosalie
  • All the Greys on Greene Street
  • Planet Earth Is Blue
  • I'm Not Dying with You Tonight
I grew up in College Station, TX and first began writing in elementary school. I would write stories and poems with the intention of making my classmates laugh. Twenty years later, I used this same technique to write my first kid’s book.

Over the years, I’ve worked a lot of different jobs—farm laborer, art gallery assistant, bartender, assistant literary agent—before settling on the two jobs that