Start by marking “State of Lies” as Want to Read:
State of Lies

State of Lies

One woman is forced to question everything she knows in this domestic suspense novel from award-winning author Siri Mitchell.

Georgie Brennan may be a world-class quantum physicist, but she grapples with life as a single mother after her husband is killed. When she receives a message from beyond the grave, it leads her to question the details of her husband’s death.

As she
Published August 13th 2019 by Thomas Nelson (first published August 2019)

To ask other readers questions about State of Lies, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about State of Lies

Start your review of State of Lies
Carole
Sep 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: netgalley-books
State of Lies by Siri Mitchell starts off as a family drama and soon escalates to a mystery. Sean and Georgie Brennan are a happily-married young couple who are parenting their young school-age son. While running an errand, Sean falls victim to a hit-and-run driver and is killed instantly. Life as Georgie knew it changes forever: she is now a single parent to her fatherless son and her job as a quantum physicist is in jeopardy. Her parents offer to help while her father, a four-star general, is ...more
Mandy White
Aug 08, 2019 rated it liked it
State of Lies by Siri Mitchell is the first book by this author that I have read. It was a quick, fun read although at times you really had to stretch your imagination. It was an enjoyable enough read but was just missing something for me.

Georgie and her son are devasted when her husband Sean is killed in a car accident. Months later she learns that he had lied to her about where he was going. Combined with the missing computer and strange things starting o happen around her she decides to look
Melanie
Jun 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
State of Lies was amazing. I wasn't sure when I started the book, as the first chapter was a bit different from other Christian Fiction books (intimacy between a married couple), but it was tastefully written and the suspense got intense right after that!

I wasn't completely shocked by the villain and what was going on (I pretty much saw it coming right away), but even still I was hooked and couldn't read fast enough. I just HAD to know if I was right and how things were all going to end. It was
Staci
Oct 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2019
I loved that this was a unique suspense novel with many twists and turns. I didn't love who the villains turned out to be, but in real life we come across bad people that appear to be good.
Beth
Aug 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Smart and engaging suspense!
Joan
Aug 19, 2019 rated it liked it
This novel could be right out of today's headlines. Conspiracy theorists will love the plot centered on political intrigue. It made me really think about how an adversary country might blackmail some political leaders and gain an influence in our government.

I liked that the heroine, Georgie, is a physicist. Mitchell included some information about quantum physics, relativity, and other topics in physics and related it to the developing plot. I like to learn something when I read fiction and
Kara
Jul 03, 2019 rated it liked it
I'm conflicted about this review because despite the well written page turner that it is, State of Lies wasn't the great read I hoped it would be. The most important element missing from this story, there is nothing of faith mentioned at all. Georgie is a brilliant physicist and a loyal family woman, but not once does she or any character turn to God in the chaotic plot. I also thought it was weird that despite her brilliance (and it is noted throughout because there is no way I would understand ...more
Iola
Sep 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
It’s been a while since I’ve read a novel by Siri Mitchell. Her first novels were contemporary Christian romance, and I enjoyed the writing and the humour. She then moved into Christian historical romance. I read a couple and enjoyed Flirtation Walk, but didn’t enjoy the other—I didn’t like the characters, and found the language bloated when compared with her contemporary reads. However, after reading the other reviews, I see mine was a minority opinion.

I then read and enjoyed The Miracle Thief,
DiAnn
Sep 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Incredible thriller, one of the finest I've read in a long time. Siri Mitchell's plotting took unpredictable up a notch, yet credibility reigned with a heavy dose of "what will happen next."
Olivia
*I was given this book to read by Thomas Nelson publishing in exchange for an honest review. All thoughts are my own*

I was not expecting this story. Actually, compared to her historical fiction it has a completely different tone. It's a thriller and kept me reading. I finished it in just under 24 hours and then I thought, "Oh, I think I may be the first reviewer on Goodreads." Scaryy! hehe!

From a general mystery stand-point this story has everything that should be in a mystery. A grabber
Chautona Havig
Aug 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
5 Interesting Truths about the State of Lies
Whooeee! This is book is one wild ride! (hint: that’s the first truth!) The problem is, I have to be careful about what I say because it’s almost like literally every single thing in this book is a twist and a spoiler for the next.

Told from the first-person point of view, after about the third or fourth chapter, I didn’t even notice anymore. Georgie got under your skin and made you root for her—faults, virtues, and all.

Each character was so perfectly
Tressa (Wishful Endings)
STATE OF LIES is one of those books that grabs the reader from the beginning and continues to pull them in as the climax builds towards the end. Full of political intrigue, conspiracy, and danger as the heroine finds herself in the middle of a plot against the country she loves and those dearest to her. Suspense fans will find much to love here!

Don't start this book right before bed. I did and then couldn't put it down because I just had to know what would happen. It's quite a bit of an
Rachel McMillan
Aug 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Proving she can effortlessly weave in and out of genres with seamless ease, one of my all time favourite authors marries lively and engaging Aaron Sorkin-like canvases with the intensity of current popular thrillers like Gone Girl. An intelligent and page-turning experience, Washington is just one of the dimensional characters in this intersection of truth and lies.
Chandra Claypool (wherethereadergrows)
I'm usually not the *biggest* fan of political thrillers and if you aren't either, don't worry - this (to me) felt less political and more domestic suspense with a touch of military/political UH-OH! Also, I was surprised to find this is also considered Christian fiction. I'm not a religious person and don't mind some in a book but I never would've guessed as faith is barely touched within these pages. I'm not complaining by any means - I had a lot of fun with this read.

It's a story that's
Suzie Waltner
Aug 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
This book is unlike any Siri Mitchell book you’ve already read. Get ready for a high-stakes plat that bobs and weaves before hitting you with an unexpected one-two punch.

While I enjoyed the twists and turns of this story (and little Sam), I had a difficult time believing Georgia, a quantum physicist, was truly as clueless as to what was truly going on for the first half of the book. The woman is a genius but can’t put two and two together?

However, there are so many moving pieces and possible
Maureen Timerman
May 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2019
This book grabbed me right from the beginning, and kept pulling me in, with my heart in my throat, and fear for those I cared about. Whom do you trust here, and I felt like I was watching the evening news, yes, this story could be true.
A little boy and his Mom dealing with the loss of their beloved Dad/Husband, and why?
Be aware you will be up late trying to find out the answers here, and the bombshells keep dropping right up to the end, even locked doors won’t keep out the evil.

I received this
Kav
Jan 09, 2020 rated it really liked it
Whoa! There's a lot of page-turning intensity in this thrilling political suspense. Brilliantly executed down to every last little detail and so complex -- but not hard for this non-American who doesn't know much about foreign politics and military operations to follow. And absolutely riveting.

Loved the pacing -- short chapters that leave a reader yearning for more -- an endless string of mind-blowing, gasp-out-loud revelations -- the first person narrative that kept me anchored in Georgie's
Kristine Morgan
Sep 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Siri Mitchell's State of Lies kept me on the edge of my seat the whole time I was reading it. There is non stop action and it wasn't until the last few chapters that the culprits became known. I loved the plot and the cast of characters was quite well developed. This book was very realistic and could be pulled from today's headlines. So grab your favorite caffeinated beverage and prepare to miss a bit sleep as you enjoy the story!

I was given a copy of State Of Lies by NetGalley.com with no
Kelly Bridgewater
Aug 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
Suspense is a wonderful genre to read in. I haven't read any of Siri Mitchell's historical fiction, but she started to write a suspense novel, and the synopsis sounded awesome, so I couldn't wait to read it. The story starts out pretty just like a suspense novel with a high tension moment setting the rest of the action for the story. Then about 42 percent into the novel, the plot turned toward a little different direction. I did have a hard time putting the novel down. I wanted to see what ...more
Cathy Daniel
Aug 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Whoo! This was an exciting thriller! Slowly built up the creepy factor and then BAM! Left with goosebumps. Very good! I would recommend this book to anybody. Even though it's published by a Christian publisher, there was nothing in this book that was Christian fiction so I think it definitely has a widespread appeal. Highly recommend.
Cara Putman
Jun 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
In State of Lies Siri Mitchell has created a story that will suck you in and not let go. With twists and turns, international intrigue, and danger galore, this book reads like a psychological thriller mixed with healthy doses of suspense. It’s also wonderfully written with an attention to detail that had me seeing my former haunts in Arlington, Virginia.
Natalie Walters
Sep 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
From page one I was gripped. This story is very fast pace, which is good because I couldn't put the book down. This was my first read by Siri Mitchell and I enjoyed her style. The plot and characters were interesting. It might be that I read a lot of suspense so I can usually line up the suspicious person pretty early on and was able to do that with a few, but there were still a few surprises that kept me on my toes. I definitely am looking forward to more contemporary reads by this author!
Tamara
Jan 08, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Oh, what a ride this book has taken me on. I didn't expect from the very first page to be glued to this book! Wow, wow! Can I say I wholeheartedly recommend this book? Read this book, it's just so cleverly plotted. Read it will you! Don't walk but run to buy this book.
 Reading Divergence
STATE OF LIES is a remarkably engrossing political/military/governmental/domestic thriller. Yes, all those categories! I could not break away. This novel is a conspiracy theorist's dream landscape, because what is better than a conspiracy come true? Events in this powerfully impacting story prove the slogan of The X-Files: "TRUST NO ONE." Really, how well can you ever know your friends, colleagues, or family. Sociopathy wears many guises, as does psychosis, and doing wrong things for the right ...more
Lindsey
Jul 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
Last night was a “rough night” as in I couldn’t fall asleep. So after lying there for sometime restless with my brain pinging endlessly, I decided I might as well read. Have you ever picked up a book and immediately wonder how the author can weave such a plot? State of Lies by Siri Mitchell had. me. hooked. As in, I read the entire book in one session. As in my husband rolled over in the wee morning hours and asked if I ever sleep. (No. The answer is no.) My 6 o’clock alarm came very quickly… ...more
Janet
Apr 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing

From the publisher, as I do not repeat the contents or story of books in reviews, I let them do it as they do it better than I do .

The secrets of those closet to us can be the most dangerous of all.

Months after her husband Sean is killed by a hit-and-run driver, physicist Georgie Brennan discovers he lied to her about where he had been going that day. A cryptic notebook, a missing computer,
Julie Graves
Apr 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2019-reads
When Georgia's husband Sean dies in an accident she and their young son Sam are devastated. Never did she think that there was anything unsettling about Sean's death. But when strange things start happening and she starts hearing noises in her home Georgia becomes nervous. Then when she finds out that Sean had lied to her the last night he was alive Georgia starts to investigate. It isn't long before Georgia realizes that her husband may not have been who she thought he was, and also that she ...more
Nicole
Jul 10, 2019 rated it liked it
State of Lies is my first book by this author. An intriguing premise to the novel, and the thrilling storyline will keep readers guessing. However, this book felt more like a secular read to me than the typical Christian fiction I read. I think fans of suspense will still enjoy this novel.

I received a complimentary copy of this book from Thomas Nelson and was not required to write a positive review. All opinions expressed are mine.
Nora St Laurent
Sep 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
I was emotionally invested from the first chapter of this fast-paced, intriguing story. I instantly felt the love this playful couple had for each other. Georgia would forever sear these moments in her memory. From the opening the reader is entertained by how this healthy, loving, married couple steals time away from their busy schedules to love one another before their son wakes up from his nap. The author writes in first person through Georgia eyes as the couple is interrupted by an alarming ...more
Loraine
Aug 31, 2019 rated it really liked it
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

• Deadly Intentions
  • Synapse
  • Fragments of Fear
  • The Painted Castle (Lost Castle #3)
  • Strands of Truth
  • You Belong with Me (Restoring Heritage #1)
  • The Bright Unknown
  • Lake Season (Bluebell Inn Romance, #1)
  • Ford (The Montana Marshalls, #3)
  • Dark Ambitions (Code of Honor #3)
  • The Yellow Lantern
  • Deadly Deceit (Harbored Secrets, #2)
  • Always Look Twice (Uncommon Justice, #2)
  • Smoke Screen
  • Fire Storm (Kaely Quinn Profiler #2)
  • A Glitter of Gold (Georgia Coast Romance #2)
  • Wyatt (The Montana Marshalls, #4)
  • The Dating Charade
also published under the name Siri L. Mitchell & Iris Anthony

Siri Mitchell graduated from the University of Washington with a business degree and worked in various levels of government. As a military spouse, she has lived all over the world, including Paris and Tokyo. Siri enjoys observing and learning from different cultures. She is fluent in French and loves sushi.

But she is also a member of