Start by marking “Stars of Alabama” as Want to Read:
Stars of Alabama

Stars of Alabama

With a voice both humorous and heartfelt, Sean Dietrich—also known as Sean of the South—weaves together a tale about the dignity of humanity and the value of enduring hope.

One child preacher traveling across the plains.

One young woman with a mysterious touch.

Two old friends, their baby, and their bloodhound.

And all the stars that shine above them.

When fifteen-year-old Mari
Published July 9th 2019 by Thomas Nelson

To ask other readers questions about Stars of Alabama, please sign up.
Doll It is not a mistake. Dietrich is listing the people that Marigold is stepping over.

Start your review of Stars of Alabama
Berit☀️✨
Aug 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
Sean Dietrich masterfully wove together this brilliant story. This was a good old-fashioned feel good story sprinkled with heart and hope. Short chapters, three separate storylines, all with a common thread of family. Not the family you were born to, but the family that you choose. This is a definite character driven story without a lot of bells and whistle‘s. There was just something so refreshing about this book for me, so much charm so much goodness. I listened to the audiobook that was narr ...more
Karen
Jul 01, 2019 rated it liked it
During the Great Depression a fifteen year old girl becomes pregnant, has her baby and leaves her in the forest to go look for food, when she returns her baby is gone.
This novel brings together a cast of characters that I really liked, Vern and Paul who find the baby and care for her, a young mother and her children who are left desolate that also end up traveling with Vern and Paul... they all become a family, and it’s a struggle, but there’s lots of love.
There is also another story line invol
Jocelyn
Jul 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: arc-s, ebooks
Review

Every once in awhile a book comes along that moves you down to your soul. It doesn’t happen often, but when it does you know that story will stay with you for a lifetime. Covering the trials of living in the rural South during the early 20th century, Sean Dietrich has written a mesmerizing and lyrical tale about the lives of several seemingly unconnected people. Each chapter bounces between the varying storylines before coming to its beautiful and dramatic conclusion.

Whilst everyone in
Pamela

It's been a long time since I've read such an expertly penned work of southern fiction. Stars of Alabama gritty yet imbued with grace, honest, engaging, socially in tune with the human condition, raw yet tender, and compellingly heartfelt without bleeding melodramatic syrup all over the page. I enjoyed every word, every well-crafted line, every page - cover to cover including the cover. My only regret: Due to an inescapable overloaded plate at present, I have not the time to craft a review worth
Beth Ann
May 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Sean Dietrich is well known in the South as a gifted writer and story teller. Many folks follow his podcast, Sean of the South, read his daily blog online and snatch up one of his many books that share short pieces that touch the heart. I am one of those folks and like to think I am his biggest fan. when I found out he had a new novel hitting the shelves I pre-ordered and found a way to get an advanced reader copy so I could have a head start.

I was not disappointed one bit. Not one tiny bit. Mr.
Nan Williams
May 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone!
What a lovely, lovely read! How refreshing to read about people who, in the midst of struggling to overcome their own problems, are ever mindful of the needs of others. In spite of the setting in the dismal years of the Great Depression and the struggling economy in the following decade, this was a very uplifting and encouraging tale.

The story opens in about 1932 and focuses on 4 different groups of people in 4 different geographic areas of America. The author gives us an excellent bird’s eye vi
Rachel McMillan
Aug 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
With the intimate voice of Harper Lee and the deep easy humour of Mark Twain, the thematic resonance of William Faulkner and the grace of Flannery O'Connor, Stars of Alabama reads like a warm hug.
Karen • The Book Return
3 1/2 Stars
Read this review and more on my blog.The Book Return Blog
*I received this book for free from the Publisher in exchange for an honest review. This does not affect my opinion of the book or the content of my review.
'You can control what you know and what you think and what you do. But not who you love.'

'The Stars of Alabama' tells the story of multiple characters struggling to survive in the south amid the Great Depression. The stories of various unrelated characters come together to fo
Tammy
Aug 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: release-2019
4 ☆ Stars of Alabama is set during the Great Depression-era leading up to WWll. It follows three colorful main characters each with separate stories. A homeless mother in search of her missing baby, a child prodigy searching for a loving and trusting family, and a tent revival preacher with a baseball past.. with all three coming together in surprising ways. Sean Dietrich has written a heartfelt story of friendship, love of family that isn’t always blood, and finding hope through the darkest of ...more
Dawnny
Jul 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Excellent Read! At fifteen and pregnant Marigold is forced out on her own. She leaves her baby in the forest to go find food, when she returns the baby is gone. The two men who found the baby along with a woman give the baby a home. There are several parts in this story that weave together in the end. I'm an avid fan of southern fiction and this left cracks in my heart. The magic of the south bleeds on every page.
Dawnny-BookGypsy
Michelle
I really wanted to like this book, but the page and a half chapters that broke with each character perspective ultimately made this way too choppy and hard to connect with the characters. This will be a DNF for me.

This book takes place in Alabama during the Great Depression. I find this time period very interesting and jumped at the chance to read it based on the description. I think the writing is good and I might have had an easier time connecting if it wasn't for the above, but it also dragge
Hallie Szott
Sean Dietrich’s Stars of Alabama delves into the Great-Depression-era South with a cast of diverse characters, connected unexpectedly. The way in which the story surrounding these characters unfolds makes it evident that Dietrich is a skilled storyteller, bringing the facets of their experiences, personalities, and emotions to life with clarity.

So, it is no fault of the author’s that I did not enjoy this character-driven novel as much as I anticipated. I think I can only blame the fact that I wa
Sasha
Jul 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
We can begin with... I’m biased. I am huge fan before I even came to this book. But I also came at it wit h the fear that it wouldn’t be as good as his other writings and live events.
It exceed them. This may be the best fiction book I’ve read so far this year. It’s beautiful and it takes it time but it’s never ever boring
Bookish Anki
Aug 08, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2019-read
Thanks to TLC Book Tours & TNZ Fiction for my gifted copy.

This is a historical fiction set during the Great Depression I loved how there were 3 different stories narrated parallel without loosing interest in either of them and how they somehow came together & connected at the end. This is a character driven coming of age & I loved all characters in this story each of them trying to survive through the hardships with hope & courage. I was fascinated by Marigold’s power. Paul was my favorite of al
Emilee
Sep 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
This was very enjoyable to listen to. The author is the reader as well. He has a great southern voice. I think it’s a whole different ballgame - listening to verses reading. I think my rating and review may have been different had I read it but it’s hard to say.
Becky
Aug 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-in-2019
Stars of Alabama is a beautifully-written novel that begins during the Great Depression and spans roughly 20 years. It's told in short chapters, most no more than three pages long, each focusing on one of the novel's many main characters. For a while, it seems as though the stories will never overlap, but when they finally do, the results are incredibly satisfying.

Everyone wants to belong, to be part of a family. The families that spring up in this novel are not the traditional kind (and sometim
Sue
Aug 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This beautiful, well written book is about hope during the darkest times. Even though the main characters face what seem like insurmountable problems, they are always working and hoping for a better life. They could face their problems because of the families they created out of the people they loved and who loved them -- not families by blood but families out of love.

This Depression era book has three main characters and the story is told by each character. There seems to be no connection betwe
Cece
Aug 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
My first book by Sean of the South Dietrich. I’m a newer follower of his writing and podcast maybe less than a year. Was excited to hear he had written his first fiction novel and had to get it. While I was reading it, he performed in a town not too far from me and was able to meet him and he signed my book- really down to earth and sincere just like his writing is. Back to the book- what a joy to read this story about people coming together thru hard times and becoming a family. Setting is in A ...more
Dorothy Bayles
Great read! Very refreshing, whimsical, and heartwarming. The audio book is read by the author which is spectacular.
Lynn Cornell
Aug 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Quirky, exciting, heartwarming, memorable—-what more do you want in a book?

Here are three different families that eventually intertwine, but not before you lose a couple of dearly-loved people.
There’s a lost baby, a young woman with healing powers, two migrant workers struggling to survive, a child preacher, and raging dust storms.
And “when the dust clears, we can still see the stars.” 📚😢⭐️
Jena Henry
May 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Sean Dietrich is a columnist, podcaster, speaker, and novelist, known for his commentary on life in the American South. He has also written several volumes of short stories and several novels. All of them are “finger-lickin’ good.”

If you are in the mood for solid, compelling characters, which includes both people and dogs, mixed with positive values, then you will want to visit the Mobile, Alabama area with Sean Dietrich as your guide in this feel-good southern-living story.

You will never forget
Jocelyn Green
Thoroughly enjoyed this book. The audio version is read by the author and his voice and inflections really enhance the story. I wish the three parallel stories had insersected earlier in the book than at the very end, but that's just a personal preference. I laughed out loud several times, and almost cried at least once. I love a book that makes me feel something.
Ricki Treleaven
Aug 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Recently I read Stars of Alabama by Sean Dietrich, AKA Sean of the South. This book reminds me so much of John Steinbeck's work, only with a Southern accent.

I don't normally enjoy Depression-era books for obvious reasons: The Dust Bowl of the Midwest is suffocating and frightening; the demoralization of grown men is devastating; and the desperation of mothers for their children is heartbreaking. This book has all three, yet I still enjoyed it.

As the Goodreads blurb says, there are three storylin
Susan Obryan
Aug 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Sean Dietrich, sporting a rich beard and a southern drawl, is a storyteller. He spins his narratives, filled with humor and compassion, of the world, and especially the South, as he sees it through columns, podcasts, speeches and novels. His latest novel, “Stars of Alabama,” has the same feel of authenticity that Dietrich fans so enjoy.

This time, Dietrich takes us back in time to the Depression years to show the struggles, and especially the strengths, which helped strangers come together and s
Randi Sampson
Jul 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
**I received a complimentary copy for consideration. All thoughts are 100% my own.

To be entirely honest, I'm not quite sure that Stars of Alabama was quite what I expected before I started reading... but what I got was so much better. It was truly one of the best novels I've read lately....and believe me, I've read a lot of them!

From the very start, I was transported through time and place to Alabama in the time of the Great Depression. Clearly, this is neither a time nor a place that I know o
David Doty
May 14, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I picked this novel on Audible because it sounded like an interesting story, and I was not disappointed. Although I almost quit listening during the first 30 minutes because I found the author's thick Southern accent (the Audible version is narrated by the author) off-putting and difficult to understand at first, his narration and the plot quickly grew on me.

Without giving away too much, this terrific novel tells the story of several people whose lives intertwine in unexpected ways during the he
Carla Suto
Jun 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
STARS OF ALABAMA by Sean Dietrich is a beautifully-written and moving story of unlikely friendships and unusual “families” beginning during the Depression era. Alternating between the points of view of the wonderfully-portrayed characters, their difficult lives and significant challenges are revealed with honesty, empathy and compassion. When they all eventually make their way to Alabama, we finally see how their lives are interwoven. The writing is vivid and evocative. I felt like I was right t ...more
Allison
Jul 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Sean Dietrich should be declared a National or, at the very least, a Southern treasure. He captures a time and place with such detail I felt like I had been transported back in time to a simpler but certainly not gentler world. For those of you who think the worries of our world are too much to handle, imagine the Great Depression with no safety net. Think of a time when life was so insular that tent revivals provided one of the few hopes you had for a better life. Then consider the men and wome ...more
Bonnye Reed
Stars of Alabama is an extraordinary visit back to the Alabama of the 1920s, 1930s after their world was changed by the cotton-destroying boll weevil and the stock market crash on Wall Street when parents helplessly watched their hungry children die and adults were held hostage by the few paying jobs that were available. But southerners are very strong people. And Sean Dietrich tells this wonderful story with heart and hope and laughter to counter the tears.

We have a full arsenal of people to t
Terri
Jun 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Stars of Alabama - I was drawn to this book by the title (I am from Alabama) and the author (Sean Dietrich) I have read much of Mr. Dietrich’s work. As always, the descriptive writing draws you in and then you become so attached to the characters - I can’t choose a favorite. I wondered how on earth we would get all these people together. I finished the book in front of a campfire while tent camping in Greer’s Ferry, AR. It was the perfect setting. I received a complimentary copy of this book. Op ...more
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »

• Wrapped Up In Christmas
  • The Woman in the White Kimono
  • Tomorrow's Bread
  • Christmas in Winter Hill
Sean Dietrich is a columnist, podcaster, speaker, and novelist, known for his commentary on life in the American South. His work has appeared in Southern Living, The Tallahassee Democrat, Good Grit, South Magazine, The Bitter Southerner, Thom Magazine, and The Mobile Press Register, and he has authored ten books.