Start by marking “Coral” as Want to Read:
Coral

Coral

There is more than one way to drown.

Coral has always been different, standing out from her mermaid sisters in a society where blending in is key. Worse yet, she fears she has been afflicted with the dreaded Disease, said to be carried by humansemotions. Can she face the darkness long enough to surface in the light?

Above the sea, Brooke has nothing left to give. Depression
Published November 12th 2019 by Thomas Nelson

Start your review of Coral
Sara Ella
May 23, 2019 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
Trigger Warning & A Note to My Readers:

(*You will find this note at the beginning of this book as well.*)

For my friends who have experienced trauma, a warningthis story may be triggering. I have done my best to approach the mental health topics addressed in this book in the most sensitive and caring way possible. But even all the research and sensitivity readers in the world would never make it so I could approach every aspect of mental health from every perspective. Your experience is
megs_bookrack
Oct 29, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: arcs-read
**3.5-stars**

Coral, through the platform of a Little Mermaid reimagining, follows three perspectives through their current day struggles with mental illness.

Coral: A little mermaid who lost her oldest sister to Red Tide, a condition that mirrors depression.

Estranged and misunderstood by the rest of her family, Coral sets out to find the Prince she blames for her older sister's demise.

Merrick: A young man whose controlling father is definitely the villain of his story.

After his little sister
Tucker

Many thanks to Allison at Thomas Nelson for sending me a copy in exchange for an honest review

DNF at 55% for two reasons.

1. I'm confused - at one point or another I must have zoned out because I am quite confused and don't really know what's going on

2. Suicide/mental illness - there are a lot of themes surrounding mental illness and I always love to see those representations in books. Unfortunately, I'm going through a patch of particularly strong anxiety so I'm really sensitive to triggers.
Carrie
Nov 12, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
Coral by Sara Ella is a young adult fantasy that is a loosely based retelling of the Little Mermaid. This one is a rather dark version of the classic that comes with a long list of trigger warnings for readers including suicide, self-harm, emotional abuse, anxiety, depression, PTSD, eating disorders, and unwanted/non-consensual advances.

The book begins with Coral, our mermaid, who is different than all the others around her. Corals fears she has contracted a deadly disease that her older sister
Amanda
Nov 01, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2019-reads
Just look at that cover. It isnt hard to imagine why I wanted to read Coral by Sara Ella. Between the cover and finding out it has a fairy tale twist, I just could not pass it up. However, if you struggle with depression, mental illness and have certain triggers. You may want to avoid my review.

WARNING! MENTAL HEALTH TRIGGERS!

Coral is a mermaid and her father is the King. She has two sisters, Jordan and The Crown Princess. Emotions are for humans, not merpeople. The Crown Princess is struggling.
Trina (Between Chapters)
Full disclosure: Sara Ella is a friend of mine and I was sent an ARC copy of the book for review. For me, some elements were 3 stars, some were 5 stars.

The worst I can say about it is that I spent a lot of time being confused about the timeline - I was reading too much into it, making up theories that I was WAY of about, so I think if you just take it at face value and allow the story to play out in its own time you won't feel the confusion that I did.

The best I can say is that Sara captures a
Alysha (For The Love of Christian Fiction)
This book hits different. Its deep and emotional and so many people need this story.

Im beyond thankful Sara fought through the difficulties she had writing this story. This story could be the thing that saves someones life.

Such an unique twist on a well known fairytale! She did an amazing job wrapping everything up, and making me feel every emotion!

Sara is queen of plot twists and I loved them all. (Even though they broke my heart)

If you know anyone who has depression, if YOU have depression,
Jane
Jul 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favourites
Coral is such a raw, beautiful story. It left me breathless and desperately wanting more, yet it was so satisfying in what it was, and ended so perfectly.

The characters are all so real. I felt their struggles in me. I felt their struggles in my friends. Coral, Brooke, Merrick, Hope, Grim, Nikki, Jake, Beck, Miss Brandes. Pieces of them are pieces of me, and that was amazing to read.

It's an incredibly brave thing to do: to write a story like this about mental health. For Sara Ella to be
Melissa
Dec 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is a big emotional read. It deals with emotional trauma and the many faces of mental illness in the most original way possible. Reading it was sometimes confusing, but in the end, it felt like I was wearing the story like a blanket. It's a part of who I am now. Depression, anxiety... it's an illness. Nothing is what it seems at first glance. You can't never know what's inside everyone's head, what they are thinking and feeling, beside their smile. The most important part of the story, for ...more
Lilian
Jun 14, 2019 rated it liked it
Okay... this got SUPER confusing at the end. I may have to reread it to fully get it (I think I read it too quickly hahah).
Laura A. Grace
Oct 27, 2019 rated it really liked it

I'm not 100% sure what to say.

Coral was nothing like expected, but everything I needed.

It ripped off the "blinders" concerning mental health in a way where these characters are not just characters on the page. They are reflections of real people, real stories. It made me realize that it can be so easy due to social media to feel "involved" in others' lives, but also make us feel like a mermaid out of water. That so many of us struggle with or know someone personally who struggles with
Marta Cox
Jul 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: my-reviews, netgalley
Absolutely beautiful, heart breaking and ultimately about the power of love. I note that many view this as a retelling of The Little Mermaid but I beg to disagree. I found this to be slightly inspired by it yes but only as a vehicle to tell a profound story about depression and the ugly consequences.
This quite rightly carries a trigger warning as it's a very heavy subject but told in a deft intriguing way. Its surprising, profound and imaginative. Told initially from the point of view of Coral
Mindy
Jun 19, 2019 rated it liked it
~2.75/5

**Disclaimer: I received a free electronic ARC from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.**

"Coral" is a loose retelling of the classic tale of "The Little Mermaid". I'm not super familiar with all the nitty-gritty details of the classic, just the kids friendly Disney version that most of the general population have come to love. Aside from this, I can confirm it is a VERY loose retelling.

This book has a very interesting premise, but once I started to read it I began to lose
hallie bertling
Jun 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
i'm going to attempt to put into (just a few) words how an anticipated book release can exceed any & all expectations.

it's like THE ASTONISHING COLOR OF AFTER. but instead of magical realism, it's a fairy tale. but instead of a fairy tale, it's real life.

with subtle references to the original hans christian andersen "the little mermaid" fairy tale, and deftly woven allusions to the disney classic, sara ella's CORAL stands on its own as a powerful tribute to life, loss, hope, depression, and
Julie (Struck by Stories)
Aug 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: must-read-2019
* I received a free eARC via Netgalley in exchange for an honest review. This does not affect my thoughts or opinions of this book *

This book, was just, WOW.

When I went into it, I was expecting a retelling of the Little Mermaid, but, oh my gosh, this book is so much more than that. It was a beautiful and exquisite take on mental health in today's society, and for that, I honestly cannot recommend it enough.

However, I will say that I experienced a lot of difficulty following along with the story,
Nadhira Satria
I got approved for the arc, yeahhhhh man
Cassie O. | Lost In Tomes
DNF @ 45%

For fairytale retellings to be truly successful they need to do one of two things:
A - Invoke strong feelings of any type; fun, nostalgia, love, sorrow etc. or
B - Provide intrigue through a clever, dark or unique twist
This did neither for me.

description

Cue somewhat ranty but spoiler-free review below.
__________________________________

This is a story about mental health, wrapped in the clothing of The Little Mermaid.
My family has been touched by a lot of mental health issues; especially suicide and
Sydney (sydneysshelves) West
I received a complimentary copy of this book from Netgalley. Opinions expressed in this review are completely my own. Thank you Netgalley and Thomas Nelson Publishing.

Before I even start this I want to bring your attention to the authors note. She is very clear about trigger warnings and that she wants you to talk care of your mental health. So if subjects like suicide, self harm, depression, anxiety, death of a loved one bother you at all, maybe wait to pick this one up until you are in a good
I. B.
Ughhhhhhh I wanted to like this book so bad!!

description

Listen, before I get into this review, I want to applaud Sara Ella. Mental health is so complex, and people who don't deal with it just don't understand. What the author tried to do here is fantastic, she tried to spread an awareness and understanding of people who struggle with loss and poor mental health.

When I picked up this book, and one of the first lines was, "You are not nothing, my friend, and neither am I." I wanted to cry!! I have
Allisa White
Oct 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
This beautiful retelling of "The Little Mermaid" broke my heart many times over, but the feelings of hope made me love it even more.

Plot

Content Warnings: Suicide, self-harm, depression, anxiety.

This book is inspired by "The Little Mermaid" by Hans Christian Anderson. This is my all-time favorite fairy tale (and yes, I love the tragic tale more than the Disney movie), so I was intrigued to read the premise of this book. It takes some hard-hitting topics and weaves it into a mermaid story. I
·Brianna·
Feb 09, 2020 rated it liked it
Cynthia
Nov 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
Coral is a unique approach to heavy topics like mental illness and suicide. The author uses mermaids to represent a group that sees emotions as bad things - the disease that humans have - and Coral, a young mermaid, learns to stifle her shameful emotions. We also meet Merrick and Brooke in this story. Both are teenagers with tough things to work out in their lives. Merrick harbors an inner rage toward his father and blames him for his sisters attempted suicide and mothers abandonment. Brookes ...more
Brooke
Sep 17, 2019 rated it liked it
Who knew a person could drown without ever stepping off land?

Coral has always been different, standing out from her mermaid sisters where blending in is key. Above the sea, Brooke is overcome with depression and anxiety, but is trying a group therapy home that promises a second chance at life. Merrick is San Franciscos golden boy, but he wants nothing more to escape his controlling father.

Ok. I really and truly wanted to fall in love with this book. And there are aspects of it that moved me
Annette
*I received a complimentary copy of this book. Opinions expressed in this review are completely my own.*

It doesn't happen often. I'm good with words and I've always been. I'm an annoying talker and it's when I go silent that you have to worry. But after reading this book and crying myself through the last 20% of it, I don't know if the right words to describe this book, how it impacted me, what it stirred in me and how amazing this experience was, even exist. I don't think they do.

This book was
Ley
Nov 11, 2019 marked it as to-read
This book is so beautiful and haunting. It's told from three different perspectives: Merrick, a rich boy trying to do what's best for his baby sister; Brooke, a girl who feels she has nothing at all to live for; and Coral, a mermaid with synesthesia who becomes human to exact revenge on the human who broke her sister's heart.

I applaud Ella on her use of trigger warnings, as the book openly discusses anxiety, depression, treatment centers, and suicide. But it's never for shock value. It all
Nana Spark
Aug 15, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: netgalley
Long ass disclaimer about honest reviews n' shit that the publisher wanted me to copy and paste in my review: "I received a complimentary copy of this book. Opinions expressed in this review are completely my own."

Personally don't like disclaimers (if you don't think I'm being honest in my salty reviews that's a not-my-problem kind of problem) but the publisher gave me this one for free through Netgalley and asked nicely in an email so why not?

This one's writing and ending were REALLY confusing.
Paige Green
Nov 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
Disclaimer: I received this book from the publisher. Thanks! All options are my own.

Author: Sara Ella

Book Series: Standalone

Rating: 4/5

Publication Date: November 12, 2019

Publisher: Thomas Nelson

Recommended Age: 16+ (suicide, mental health, theres a proper trigger warning page in the front of this book too! I definitely recommend reading it and I urge other authors and publishers to copy this format.)

Synopsis: There is more than one way to drown.

Coral has always been different, standing out from
Annemieke / A Dance with Books
Thank you to Thomas Nelson for the review copy in exchange for an honest review. This does not change my opinion in anyway

Next week I will be posting a very personal review on this book on my blog. It just does not seem fitting to put it here. However I would like to share for anyone looking to read this book. This book is a hard hitting mental health book.

This book is young adult. I will not say that this book should not be read by a young adult because the realness of this book and knowing
Nicole (FearYourEx)
I received an ARC from the publisher in exchange for a review.

3/5 stars

I really wanted to enjoy this book, and in a way I did. I loved the author's writing and will definitely read future books. However, the author starts the book off with a trigger warning. I have never been suicidal and I've never been as depressed as many people can get, or if I have it's lasted a short while and I've pulled myself out. However, I am a Veterinary Technician. My career of choice is one of the highest for
Carlye Krul
Dec 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorite-books
I am shook.
I have no words for how amazing this book.
I also have no words how relatable this book is.
This book was raw pure emotion.
Read it.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
YA Buddy Readers'...: Coral by Sara Ella - Starting September 7th 2019 2 10 Aug 24, 2019 11:59AM

• The Memory Thief
  • The Weight of a Soul
  • Reverie
  • Night Spinner (Night Spinner, #1)
  • Havenfall (Havenfall, #1)
  • The Raven and the Dove (The Raven and the Dove, #1)
  • Tiger Queen
  • The Sound of Stars
  • Shadow Frost (Shadow Frost, #1)
  • Gravemaidens (Gravemaidens, #1)
  • Beyond the Shadowed Earth
  • Hart & Seoul (Hart & Seoul, #1)
  • Ever Alice
  • The Seventh Sun (The Age of the Seventh Sun, #1)
  • These Wicked Waters
  • The Bone Ships (The Tide Child, #1)
  • Hearts, Strings, and Other Breakable Things
  • Sea Witch Rising (Sea Witch, #2)
Once upon a time, Sara Ella dreamed she would marry a prince and live in a Disney castle. Today, she spends her days throwing living room dance parties for her two princesses, raising her little prince to be a king, and conquering realms of her own imaginings. Oh, and her husband is definitely more swoon-worthy than any Prince Charming.

Saras UNBLEMISHED trilogy has received high praise and