Start by marking “Midnight on the River Grey” as Want to Read:
Midnight on the River Grey

Midnight on the River Grey

She knew the house was keeping secrets. If only the darkness would speak . . .

After her elder brother’s mysterious death, Rebecca Hunter vows to expose the man she believes responsible: Mr. Lewis Browning—known by the locals as the Midnight Devil and by Rebecca as her new guardian.

Summoned to his reclusive country estate to await her London season, Rebecca plans her own s
Published July 2nd 2019 by Thomas Nelson (first published July 2019)

To ask other readers questions about Midnight on the River Grey, please sign up.
Breny Hi! I'd say 13+... it has some gothic feel to the story it may scare some younger audiences. In terms of language and sex, it's all good :) It is a…moreHi! I'd say 13+... it has some gothic feel to the story it may scare some younger audiences. In terms of language and sex, it's all good :) It is a very clean book, in my opinion. (less)

Melissa Tagg
Jun 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I REALLY loved this book! I enjoyed this author's first book, but this one hooked me even more. The romance was steady and believable, and the mystery had enough twists and turns to easily keep me turning pages. And the both the voice and the atmosphere of the story were just pitch perfect! Also, I appreciated the small tie-in with the author's first book. (Also, dare I hope we get Torrington's story down the road??) Highly recommend!
Staci
Jun 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2019
Satisfying historical mystery novel!

Rebecca Hunter is determined not to marry because of her mother's mental illness. She is also determined to find out who murdered her brother. She is a spunky main character that doesn't like being told what to do, especially by Lewis Browning.

The mystery of who murdered Jacob was entertaining to see unravel. The slowly blossoming romance was delightful. Secondary characters Aunt Jo and Sophie added to the novel.

Abigail Wilson is highly recommended for readers
The Sherlock
Jun 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
this book was absolutely amazing! Im obsessed. I am sooo totally getting the rest of her books in the future! That ending... I’m speechless. Nope I’m beyond speechless. I’m so speechless I have words again!!!!! IT WAS THAT GOOD!!! It reminded me of Jane Eyre/Jane Austen. I highly recommend this book to everyone in existence. This one gets all of the stars!
Becky Van Daniker
Jun 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
“Midnight on the River Grey” is Abigail Wilson’s second novel which I quite enjoyed. This is a regency mystery that will keep the pages turning and full of intrigue. Although the whodunit is a bit predictable, the authors fills the pages with many unexpected twists and turns. Fans of Jane Austen and the Bronte sisters will love this!
I wasn’t sure of what to think about any of the characters at first, but as the story continued, they began to grow on me. So much that readers will want to cheer on
Dana Michael
May 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A wonderful read. This book is a regency era mystery with romance. I love reading regency era books and I love mysteries, so put them together and you have a win win situation. I thoroughly enjoyed it.
*I received this book from the publisher. This is my honest opinion.
Rachel McDaniel
Apr 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
2:02 am. This is the exact time I finished Abigail Wilson’s sophomore novel Midnight on the River Grey. And coming from a woman who prizes her sleep just as much as her dark chocolate, this is a huge credit to the author. But seriously, this novel! With its engaging plot, heart-sighing romance, and hard-to-guess mystery, I’m going to be in a story-fog for quite some time!

From the first page, the heroine, Rebecca, impressed me with her grit. Her brother Jacob’s mysterious death ignited a desire
Barbara
Jun 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is the new book by Abigail Wilson which I have had the privilege and pleasure to read before the release date. I loved it! Here is a little tease of what it's about...She knew the house was keeping secrets, if only the darkness would speak....After her elder brother's death, Rebecca Hunter vows to expose the man she believes responsible: Mr. Lewis Browning, known by the locals as the Midnight Devil and by Rebecca as her new guardian.... suspense, mystery, history, romance and characters you ...more
Raechel
Jun 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019-reads
I love the author's writing stlye. I found the writing of this book to be just as captivating as her debut novel, "In the Shadow of Croft Towers", and I was easily enveloped within its pages right away!
The mystery and intrigue were marvelous and kept you on the edge of your seat, just waiting to find out the whole truth. And once we did...goodness! This book will certainly bring you on an excellent adventure!
The characters were very well written, and I enjoyed Rebecca's relationship with her Aun
OLT
Jun 07, 2019 rated it liked it
(2.5 stars) I read author Wilson's novel IN THE SHADOW OF CROFT TOWERS not too long ago and thought it wasn't too bad for a debut novel, so when her sophomore effort was offered as a Vine ARC, I decided to try it also.

Well, in quality, it's pretty much on a par with the first. For a Christian genre book, published by Thomas Nelson Publishing, its inspirational message is not annoyingly preachy and pious. The main thrust of the plot is a mystery, with a low-key love story to add a little interest
Alysha (For The Love of Christian Fiction)
Let me start off by saying I loved the premise and FEEL of this book. It was dark, yet not heavy. It felt almost gothic in nature, I was all for it.

I instantly fell for our mysterious hero, Mr. Lewis Browning. *insert literally ALL of the heart eyes* He was my FAVORITE part of the whole book, and I might have cried a little when I realized we weren't going to get his perspective at all.
He was so dark, and mysterious, yet there was such good in him. He had a huge heart though he tried to hide it
Ashley Johnson
Jun 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
Midnight on the River Grey was another mysteriously enticing novel from Abigail Wilson!  This book was intriguing and peeked my curiosity as the characters endeavored to make sense of a variety of obscure circumstances and murders.   This plot kept me guessing and searching for answers until the end!
Kerrie
Apr 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
I received a copy of #Midnight on the River Gray from #Netgalley and #Thomas Nelson Publishers. I want to thank them for this Kindle version.
This is a mystery and a romance. The setting is perfect: early 1800’s England and a mysterious castle.
The main character Rebecca is a conflicted damsel in distress, yet she has spunk. She is very upset because her brother has been murdered under mysterious circumstances, her parents are dead, and she and her Aunt have been forced to move from their home to
Doreen
Jun 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Wilson is a new author to me but she definitely caught my notice. I love books set in Regency England and mysteries and this blended both beautifully. Reading of the entailment at the beginning reminded me of “Pride and Prejudice” but Lewis Browning is nothing like Mr. Collins. Mr. Browning is handsome, young, and very much in control. He’s also dangerous and goes out on mysterious rides at night. When Rebecca Hunter hears news of her brother’s death, she can’t help but wonder if Lewis Browning ...more
Katie Poole
Jun 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Abigail Wilson has crafted a beautiful tale of loss, intrigue, deception and love in Midnight on the River Grey. From the first page you will be gripped by the vivid imagery pulling you in as if you are watching a grand play. This is the kind of story that leaps off the page and creates an experience. I felt each emotion Rebecca experienced as she investigated the murder of her dear brother and as she learned that things are not always as they seem. This book is one to be read more than once and ...more
Wendy
Jun 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Abigail Wilson will be around for a very long time!I am amazed that this is only Abigail Wilson's 2nd book! She writes as though she is a seasoned author. It is fantastic!
Rebecca is summoned to a very dark estate with a notorious history surrounding it to live with her newly appointed guardian, Lewis Browning. His reputation is dark, mysterious with a gruff persona.
She finds it quite different when she gets to know him.
Mysteries and emotions develop as you read the book and it is twists along
Jennifer K
Jun 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Wilson has skillfully created an atmosphere in which mystery thrives. I immediately liked her heroine and enjoyed her journey to discover who she could truly trust. The developing romance grabbed my heart’s attention as I wanted her to make the right choice. As the mystery unfolded, I couldn’t turn the pages fast enough. The added touches of humor were perfectly timed and only added to this engrossing tale. I am certainly glad that I discovered this new author and I am looking forward to reading ...more
Jo
Jun 26, 2019 rated it it was ok
This is DNF book. I was drawn in by the description and the book cover. Felt like something that would interest me — I like historical, romances, and murder mystery of sorts.

For me, the dialogue caught me off guard and felt unnatural. Other reviews found this an enjoyable read something that caught them from the start. However, that didn’t happen to me and it felt like a chore to get through.

Thanks to the publisher and Netgalley — free to read in exchange for an honest review.
Miranda Atchley
Murder, espionage, and secrets result in a fresh take on Regency fiction that will appeal not only to fans of authors like Jane Austen, Georgette Heyer, and Julie Klassen, but to avid mystery readers, as well.

Wilson’s novels combine so many elements of fiction that I love. Regency settings that are reminiscent of Jane Austen, a first person narrative and characters that harken to the Brontës, and enough intrigue to keep the reader guessing until the end. I thoroughly enjoyed her debut, In the Sh
Kaylee
Apr 18, 2019 rated it it was ok
I always love a good tale of a broody, misunderstood rich guy falling in love with the protagonist female, add a little murder mystery in there, and it really hits the spot. Although this book had some great qualities--I loved her flow of language and plotline throughout--this book just fell flat for me for a couple of reasons.

There wasn't much character development of any one character. I felt like I didn't really know anyone. The romance between Rebecca and Lewis was fast. They got together t
Chautona Havig
Jul 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
Why Do Christians Love Books about Sin and Sorrow?
Midnight on the River Grey should read like one of Shakespeare’s tragedies. Sin, sorrow, secrets combine into a plot that I absolutely couldn’t put down. To avoid TMI, I’ll just say that I didn’t put it down… even when perhaps I should have.

This was my second book by Abigail Wilson and it will not be my last. Not by a long shot. If the character of Rebecca hadn’t first caught my attention, her “voice” would have. She comes alive on the page of a
 Mummy Cat Claire
Rebecca Hunter is 18 years old. She has lost her entire family and her guardian is now a distant cousin, Mr. Lewis Browning. He is also suspected of killing her brother.

"This man - the person responsible for my brother's death - expected me to live with him? In his house? Madness."

However, Rebecca decides to move into his home hopes of uncovering information about her brother's murder. Since living at Greybourne Hall, Rebecca takes many walks around the grounds. She meets the neighbor, Mr. Galp
Kirby
Jul 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Midnight on the River Grey is a mesmerizingly beautiful story that combines regency era England with a plot that twists and turns, a romance reminiscent of an Austen or Bronte novel, and many elements woven throughout that heavily reminded me of Beauty and the Beast.

Right from the start, I enjoyed the character of Rebecca Hunter. Determined not to marry on account of the fact that she's convinced she's inherited her mother's severe mental illness, and never wants a husband to have to deal with
Marissa Baker
Jul 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
Weaving elements of Jane Austen, Daphne du Maurier, and Ann Radcliffe's fiction throughout “Midnight on the River Gray,” author Abigail Wilson crafts a diverting story of mystery and romance. While there were times I felt the story was trying to blend too many different elements together and I didn't much like the main character, overall this book was fun and engaging. If you're a fan of historical regency fiction, then there's a good chance you'll find this is a fun summer read.

The story opens
Becky Lewis
English moors beset by swirling mists and winds; wicked storms, dreary weather, and centuries-old decrepit buildings slowly decaying; combine to make a great Gothic tale, but not a place I would care to visit. Abigail Wilson, in Midnight on the River Grey, carefully employs dark words, effectively painting a very dreary, spooky mood in Regency England.
What is the allure of a musty setting like this? It “must” be the reader’s desire to see if the unfortunate characters can find hope or color in t
Rosalyn
Jul 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
I found this to be an incredibly riveting historical fiction suspense novel.
Here's one thing that gave me a clue, right off...I really don't care very much for stories that are written in first person.
This one is.
I didn't even notice...until it was pointed out in another review I was reading....
yep. I was that engrossed in the story while I was reading it.
I'd read this author's earlier novel, and also really liked that one, so I was really looking forward to reading this one.
I think I actually
Kate (The Shelf Life)
Oh, my goodness!
I really enjoyed Abigail Wilson's debut novel In the Shadow of Croft Towers, but I have to say, I enjoyed Midnight on the River Grey even more!

Mystery, intrigue, romance, dark, moody settings....this book really had such an amazing mix.

We open to Rebecca with her dying mother. She tries to comfort her, but her final words she has only brings a feeling of foreboding. Right off the bat, this story pulls you in and keeps you hooked.

Soon after we are introduced to a very tall, dark,
Randi Sampson
Jul 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A few month ago, I had the pleasure of reading a previous book by Abigail Wilson, In the Shadow of Croft Towers. As historical fiction, it was quite a departure from the more contemporary novels I usually enjoy, but really opened my eyes up to a genre that I had otherwise not given much mind to. Since then, I have not only opened my eyes more to that genre, but found myself really coming to enjoy it- especially those that offered a little mystery and suspense. So, when I saw that Abigail had thi ...more
Tressa (Wishful Endings)
MIDNIGHT ON THE RIVER GREY is a story with a very Gothic feel and a constant undertone of danger while romantic sparks fly. The characters are easy to like and the story is engaging from beginning to end. Recommended to historical romantic suspense fans!

This story was so much fun! From the start you could feel romantic tension begin to build between Rebecca and Lewis and that tension just continued to grow, with plenty of swoon-worthy moments. I also really liked Rebecca and her aunt. Their rela
Deana Dick
Jul 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I enjoyed the time period set during the 1800s in London. I could already feel a chill come over me as I started the book. The author grabbed my attention right away with the way she makes the story eerie and mysterious with words that send chills down your spine. It sure wasn't fun to be kicked out of your home and find out your new guardian was a distant cousin. Rebecca and her aunt are not thrilled but maybe Rebecca can gather information into her brothers' mysterious death.

Lewis was a strang
Erin
Jul 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: celebrate-lit
My Thoughts on Midnight on the River Grey:
Great read. New author to me but reading her bio made me want to get to know her. I love curling up with a good book and hiking as well so we must be kindred spirits. Oh and England is definitely a dream destination of mine. Let’s not even forget crazy little children, I have a few or more of those too.

First things first. The book is definitely unique. You’ve got madness and spells(not the witchcraft kind) plus murder and mystery. Everything a good suspe
« previous 1 3 next »
Abigail Wilson combines her passion for Regency England with intrigue and adventure to pen historical mysteries with a heart. A Registered Nurse, chai tea addict, and mother of two crazy kids, Abigail fills her spare time hiking the National Parks, attending her daughter’s gymnastic meets, and curling up with a great book. In 2017, Abigail won WisRWA’s Fab Five contest and in 2016, ACFW’s First Im ...more