Start by marking “One Big Heart: A Celebration of Being More Alike than Different” as Want to Read:
One Big Heart: A Celebration of Being More Alike than Different

One Big Heart: A Celebration of Being More Alike than Different

What do you get when you combine ABC News correspondent Linsey Davis’ lyrical rhymes with Lucy Fleming’s whimsical art? A culture-rich picture book that proudly showcases the beauty of diversity while celebrating all the wonderful things we have in common.

From skin, hair, and eyes in a multitude of colors to different personalities and interests, God gave us all special
Published August 6th 2019 by Zonderkidz

To ask other readers questions about One Big Heart, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about One Big Heart

Start your review of One Big Heart: A Celebration of Being More Alike than Different
La Coccinelle
Nov 01, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children
I got this one from the library without reading the synopsis. I was a little disappointed to find that it's a rather religious picture book, and as such is not really suited to atheists and non-believers (or anyone who isn't a fan of capital-G God in picture books).

However, this book does have some strong points. The rhyming text is lovely, and deftly does what it sets out to accomplish: show that we have more similarities than differences. The illustrations are, for the most part, w
Abigail
Aug 15, 2019 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Anyone Looking for a Picture-Book Celebration of Human Diversity from a Religious Perspective
ABC news correspondent Linsey Davis, who made her picture-book debut with The World Is Awake: A Celebration of Everyday Blessings , published last year (2018), returns to the form in this sweet rhyming celebration of human diversity, and the spark of God in each of us. The text here describes the interests, personal traits and activities of a wide range of children, but asserts that they are more alike in the essentials - in their feelings, and in their God-given hearts - than they are unalike. The acco ...more
Amanda
3 1/2 stars
A celebration of diversity and how God makes us all unique and wonderful.

Positives: the teacher is a boy, and he is a POC. The children are all different colors and wear real-type clothes (cute ones too) and not anything too precious for real life. One of the kids has glasses. The children are shown doing diverse activities (boy planting/gardening; girls playing ball; girl doing undersea exploration; etc.). A boy is shown crying with no negative effects or ramifications. Childr
Aug 14, 2019 rated it liked it
ONE BIG HEART is a children's book that celebrates diversity and will show children why everyone is different from hair texture to eye color to skin, to likes and dislikes. It also shares that you can still be friends and show love to someone different than you.

This book would be good for a child starting preschool for the first time to show that while we may all be different but we are alike in many big ways. It also stresses the need to be kind.

Recommended for preschoo
Conny Reviews
Aug 16, 2019 rated it liked it
“But the thing that matters most is something we can’t see. The touch of God that’s inside you and also inside me,” Lindsey Davis with Beverly Davis writes in her children’s book, One Big Heart: A Celebration of Being More Alike than Different.

~ What ~
This thirty-two-page, oversized hardbound targets children ages four to eight years old who like to read stories about how God makes us unique yet the same. With no scary scenes, the book should be read out loud to beginner reader
Penny
Aug 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The whimsical illustrations along with the beautiful rhyme create an easy to read aloud story that celebrates all children. Linsey Davis uses her words to teach children that they may be different, but God created them to be alike with a big heart to love each other. I love the colorful illustrations and the well-chosen words that encourage children to see the best in each other. This is a perfect read for preschool and Kindergarten. Or share this sweet story at home. I received a complimentary ...more
Beckie Burnham
Oct 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
One Big Heart is all about differences and similarities — the variety found in people and the important things they share. With bold and colorful illustrations and a rhyming verse, the authors show the importance of being unique while celebrating the things that bind us together. Great lessons for both kids and adults!

Recommended.

Audience: kids ages 4-8.

(Thanks to Zonderkidz for a complimentary copy. All opinions expressed are mine alone.)
Juliana Lee
Sweet and lyrical. Rhymes and pictures depict children of various races who find how similar they are despite their differences. Some have dimples, some are missing teeth, they all love to run and jump and play at recess. Some can do cartwheels, some make a mess, they are all curious. Each one was made unique in God's image.
Syeda
Oct 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book celebrates differences but also how we are more alike than different. The book teaches children everyone has their own strength and weakness. Eash of us is unique individual. We all have kindess in us and it's upto us how to use it.
Cindy
Nov 01, 2019 rated it did not like it
This description outside of the book should explicitly say that is religious propaganda.
Pam
Nov 12, 2019 rated it liked it
Celebrating the many ways a class of students are unique and how they are all alike as well - each has a big heart given by God to love others.
Lynne Marie
Oct 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
A sweet book that highlights the best parts of everyone being different.
Bailey Held
Oct 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
Teaches children that everyone is the same even though they are different on the outside.
Anjanette
Oct 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
love this book!!!!!

all different but all the same!
embracing differences
Mimi.Y
Sep 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A wonderful for all ages!!
Annese
Aug 03, 2019
Amanda Fulwider
Oct 15, 2019

• Sulwe
  • Bible Gems to Remember Illustrated Bible: 52 Stories with Easy Bible Memory in 5 Words or Less
  • Love Is Kind
  • Snuggle Time Fall Blessings
  • Deadly Intentions
  • A Glitter of Gold (Georgia Coast Romance #2)
  • A Very Fiona Christmas
  • The Happy Book
  • I Am Love: A Book of Compassion
  • The One and Only Wolfgang
  • Dona Flor: A Tall Tale About a Giant Woman with a Great Big Heart
  • The Words Between Us
  • Sammy in the Sky
  • Pete the Cat and the Perfect Pizza Party
  • Dark Ambitions (Code of Honor #3)
  • How Much Is a Little Girl Worth?
  • Goodbye, Friend! Hello, Friend!
  • The Berenstain Bears The Trouble with Tryouts: An Early Reader Chapter Book (Berenstain Bears/Living Lights)
Linsey Davis is an Emmy Award winning ABC News Correspondent, filing reports for World News, Good Morning America, 20/20 and Nightline. She has covered major news stories around the globe, and is also a bestselling author of her first children’s book, THE WORLD IS AWAKE. She is now excited to share her latest book, ONE BIG HEART, with the world.

ONE BIG HEART is about celebrating how we are more a