Start by marking “Swordheart” as Want to Read:
Swordheart

Swordheart

Return to the world of Clockwork Boys in this all-new novel from T. Kingfisher!

Halla is a housekeeper who has suddenly inherited her great-uncle's estate... and, unfortunately, his relatives. Sarkis is an immortal swordsman trapped in a prison of enchanted steel. When Halla draws the sword that imprisons him, Sarkis finds himself attempting to defend his new wielder
Published November 27th 2018 by Red Wombat Studio

To ask other readers questions about Swordheart, please sign up.
Mikhail Soooooome. The main plot isn't touched upon except in a very offhand fashion, but a few of the setting-based surprises will be a little less…moreSoooooome. The main plot isn't touched upon except in a very offhand fashion, but a few of the setting-based surprises will be a little less surprising.(less)

Start your review of Swordheart
Lois Bujold
May 09, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: readers who like fantasy adventure romance humor
Recommended to Lois by: random internet review apprised me of its existence; prior books by the author primed me to grab it

Well, that exactly suited my reading mood rainy yesterday. Fantasy-romance-adventure-humor. A beleaguered widow finds herself the inheritor of a magic sword, after which nothing goes as either of them expects.

Set in the world of the previous duology The Clocktaur War. Reading that first would inform the world-building in this smaller-scale tale, but I don't think is required. The romance has something of the same Kingfisher flavor as the one from that story (and some others), which, if you
K.J. Charles
An absolute joy. Set in the Clockwork Boys world but with ostensibly far lower stakes--we're not saving the world from demons, here, just saving a widow from being forced to marry a cousin. Except that what we're actually saving is a woman's self-respect and a man's humanity, which actually is stakes high enough for any book. Very much more towards the romance side than other books, and does it beautifully.

And the world! Kingfisher is endlessly inventive in her threats and monsters, and also
Lindsay
Nov 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: humor, fantasy
Halla is a respectable widow who was housekeeper to an artifact collector and scholar until his recent death. After the entire estate of the collector was willed to Halla, she is imprisoned by her husband's family until she agrees to marry her brother-in-law so that the family can get their hands on the inheritance. Halla resolves to kill herself rather than be married and unsheathes an old sword on a wall to do it. But when she unsheathes it a magical warrior, Sarkis, appears with a mission to ...more
Alissa
Feb 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-ebooks
3.5 stars. This is a stand-alone, but I’m looking forward to Angharad’s book :) you don’t need to read the Clocktaur War’s duology to appreciate this, anyway you should because it’s lots of fun too.

In the songs, men always say they’d die for you. I suppose there’s something to be said for the fact that you found one who actually did.
Veronique
Feb 18, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4.5*

Kingfisher’s new novel takes us back to the world of the Clockwork Boys, but apart from the same brilliant ‘setting’, the story is quite different. Namely, this is not a tale about saving the world. No, this is much more mundane, and I absolutely loved it!

The author’s mastery is in creating amazing characters, complex, flawed, and so believable! The interaction between Halla, a quirky 36-year old widow in danger from her in-laws, and Sarkis, a sullen soldier imprisoned in a magic sword, is
Emily
May 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites, fantasy
This is the first time this year I've really loved a book I read. This was fantastic. It was funny and romantic and kept me turning pages. I appreciate that the main character is a mid-30s woman. I get so tired of women in fantasy books being 16 year old Mary Sues.

Anyway - It's defintely a book I would recommend and happily re-read.
Sarah (CoolCurryBooks)
I can’t remember the last time I laughed this much while reading a book. Swordheart is a romantic fantasy novel that’s brimming with humor. Everything Ursula Vernon writes is delightful, and I will continue to eagerly rush to read anything by her. However, my enjoyment of Swordheart is tampered by displeasure at some issues with asexual representation.

Halla is a respectably widowed housekeeper who spent more than a decade looking after an old man… who just died and left everything to her.
Lata
Mar 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
T. Kingfisher returns to her world of the Clocktaur War, and instead of another story with large ramifications to this world, she's crafted a little story about a housekeeper, Halla, inheritances and disgruntled relatives, and a weary warrior, Sarkis, magicked into a sword centuries earlier.
Though unconnected to the events of the Clocktaur books, there are elements already introduced in those books that are mentioned here (gnoles, paladins, etc.). It's not critical to have read those books to
Iona Sharma
Apr 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019
I loved this book SO MUCH. I did not know I needed a hysterically funny roadtrip comedy about a sensible widow who asks too many questions, a nonbinary lawyer-priest and a man who lives in a sword, but I did and believe me so do you. The characters are wonderful and the worldbuillding is fascinating and the whole thing is just so warm and satisfying. Zale, the put-upon property adjudicator, is my favourite, but they're all my favourite. I am going to reread this one in times of trouble.
Fares
May 15, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
DNFed @ 53%
This had potential to be really good but it was wasted :(
If I had to choose a book similar to this I'd have to say one of those Riyria books. Those tho were my favorites probably bc it was about friendship and this one is a romance.
I really wanted more banter and I wouldn't have even minded if the characters had some hate to love thing going on (that's not my favorite thing but it's better than nothing)
I can see this getting a higher rating from me if it has a good ending but it just
Shruthi
THIS WAS SO MUCH FUN and filled a void in my heart for adult fantasy romcoms, a subgenre that seems otherwise inexplicably barren???? I loved the banter, the gallows humor, the fun world/culturebuilding, and, of course, the sweet mutual pining romance. It was such a fun reading experience that involved just nonstop cackling on my end. I'm so glad that this is the first novel in a swordfucker series because I need more of this in my life.
Robyn
Mar 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019
I love the main characters, the humour, the world, everything. Never want her books to end!
wanderer (Para)
This book was so much fun.

Halla wanted to be the sort of person who yelled at her cousin and forced him to acknowledge that she had a choice in the matter. Unfortunately, it seemed that she was the sort of person who ran up the stairs to her bedchamber, grateful for the reprieve.

This was a depressing discovery.

Halla is a housekeeper. When her uncle dies and she inherits his estate, his relatives are not happy and lock her in her room, planning to marry her off to her cousin (with clammy
Denise
3.5 stars rounded up.
Michael Gates
Nov 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I was halfway through this, laughing so hard I couldn't sit up straight, and one of the kids asked me what the book was about. "It's a romance novel, with some overtones of horror." It took a minute to get the sentence out through all the giggling.

Because, well, it *is*. It's all about Halla and Sarkis, falling in love and coming together. And how Sarkis is trapped in a magic sword forever and gets horribly killed now and then, and they explore how that works. (It's not good! Don't get yourself
Lucille
While this was a very funny (sometimes maybe trying too hard?) romance fantasy novel which I might have rated a solid 4, it was very much acephobic so... meh

Great review that I agree with here
Stephanie
This was such a fun romantic fantasy adventure - set in a different part of the same world as her Clocktaur Wars series but much less dark and with different characters. Like all Ursula Vernon/T Kingfisher novels, it was incredibly charming and full of moments that made me snort-laugh as I read - and I absolutely loved the characters. The chemistry between the growly hero, Sarkos (who's spent 500 years trapped in a sword), and the loquacious and easily-distracted (but MUCH smarter than she ...more
Olga Godim
Jan 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy-scifi
A fun romp of a quasi-medieval fantasy by a wonderful writer. I read many of her previous books and liked most of them. The only ones I didn’t like, her Clockwork Boys duology, had characters forced into their adventures, and I dislike this plot twist intensely.
In this book, Halla chooses what she does. Granted, her choices don’t always lead where she wants them to go, but that’s life for most of us, so no surprise there.
Halla is a delightful heroine, a middle-aged widow with an
Skye Kilaen
Overall, lovely and wonderful in the same ways that have made me a T. Kingfisher / Ursula Vernon fangirl. Adventure, humor, strong female character, etc.

However I am still sorting through my feelings about multiple instances of language that struck me as denying the existence of asexual people.

UPDATE 12/31/18: I'm not the only one who noticed, #ownvoices review here: https://www.goodreads.com/review/show... And I haven't been able to get past it. All of that content just felt so *mean*. : (
Suzanne
Feb 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy, uno19
The conversations between Halla and Sarkis were priceless - I loved this book!
Victoria Rose
As with most T. Kingfisher books, this was an easy read and I enjoyed the humour very much. However, I thought that Swordheart, though lighthearted and fun, didn't have the sharpness or snap of her short stories or novellas, wasn't quite as funny as The Clockwork Boys, and didn't have the sense of jeopardy as The Wonder Engine.

That's not to say I didn't enjoy it, especially aspects of it - I thought Halla was absolutely hilarious, and I loved reading about her befuddling people with her
Jacqueline J
Absolutely wonderful. Great world building. Wonderful characterization. I loved the heroine. She was a great character. The hero trapped in the sword was great too. I laughed and I teared up.
Jerome Comeau
Nov 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I'm not sure how to say what I want to say without saying it wrong.

I don't think I have been this excited for a new author's work since I was in the rapid process of discovering and then chewing through the back catalog of C.J. Cherryh, who at that point had just published Foreigner and grabbed me by my whiskers and screamed (metaphorically) "Look! Here is an author whose style of prose and choice of character speaks directly and entirely to you!" Or that moment in my high school years when I
Benjamin Appleby-Dean
The amazing thing about Swordheart is that it's somehow simultaneously:
a) A full-blown period romance novel about a young widow escaping the wicked relatives who are after her inheritance
b) A proper fantasy story with living sword-spirits, ambulatory hillsides, demon-slaying knights and levitating slime creatures
c) The funniest thing I've read all year

I mean how is this even fair to the other books?

But seriously, this is delightful. Halla is a resourceful, willful and uncommon heroine, Sarkis a
Wench
AHHHHHHHHH OH MY GOD GO READ THIS BOOK

It's FUNNY and LOVELY and SUSPENSEFUL and has SPOOKY WEIRD SHIT and I LOVE IT AND THERE'S GONNA BE MORE
Angela Boord
Dec 21, 2018 rated it really liked it
4.5 stars really, because this book is so much fun. What I like most about Ursula Vernon's recent T. Kingfisher books (The Clockwork Boys, The Wonder Engine, and now Swordheart) is how well she does fantasy AND romance AND humor.

And gnoles. I love gnoles. I am so happy there was a gnole in this book.

Swordheart is basically a period romance, complete with a widow in danger of being swindled out of her inheritance and forced into a marriage she doesn't want. That is, it would be a period romance
Steve Thomas
Did Steve actually like a romance novel?

Review to come.
Laurielle Laurielle
Is there a sixth star?
Lisa
Dec 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I LOVED THIS BOOK. I loved it SOOOOO much. Oh gosh, even just thinking about it while writing this review is making me want to read it again.

Ok, let me try to be coherent. Swordheart is a fantasy story with a strong romantic subplot to it, which is kind of my thing. The main character, Halla, is such a great character. She’s been sort of a passive person most of her life, accepting her lot even if she hadn’t always been happy with it. She married young and when her husband died became a
Jennifer Linsky
Dec 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Delightful from first page to last.

• The Mountain of Iron (Black Dogs, #2)
  • Black Dogs Part One: The House of Diamond
  • The Orphans of Raspay (Penric and Desdemona, #7)
  • Knife Children (The Sharing Knife #4.5)
  • In the Vanishers’ Palace
  • Proper English
  • Empress of Forever
  • A Choir of Lies (A Conspiracy of Truths, #2)
  • Any Old Diamonds (Lilywhite Boys #1)
  • Gilded Cage (Lilywhite Boys #2)
  • Silver in the Wood
  • Hither, Page (Page & Sommers, #1)
  • The Rat-Catcher's Daughter (Lilywhite Boys, #0.5)
  • Sing for the Coming of the Longest Night
  • The Thief Who Went To War (Amra Thetys, #5)
  • The Raven Tower
  • The Apple-Tree Throne
  • Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City
T. Kingfisher is the vaguely absurd pen-name of Ursula Vernon. In another life, she writes children's books and weird comics, and has won the Hugo, Sequoyah, and Ursa Major awards, as well as a half-dozen Junior Library Guild selections.

This is the name she uses when writing things for grown-ups.

When she is not writing, she is probably out in the garden, trying to make eye contact with
“What would you say if I tortured you?" asked the bandit leader conversationally.
Halla blinked at him. "Err, 'Ow,' probably. 'Stop, Stop, Stop,' something like that?" *What a bizarre question. What does he expect me to say?*”
1 likes
“I am the servant of the sword,” he said. “I obey the will of the—great god, woman, put on some clothes!” 1 likes