Start by marking “The Haunting of Elmwood Manor (Pekin Dewlap Mystery, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Haunting of Elmwood Manor (Pekin Dewlap Mystery, #1)

The Haunting of Elmwood Manor

(Pekin Dewlap Mystery #1)

Pekin Dewlap hasn’t seen a ghost since she was twelve. But she’d do anything to get them back. Starting a ghostbusting business with her two best friends, Amber and Scout, seems like the perfect way to accomplish her goal. Of course, playing with ghosts isn’t high on their wish list, so Pekin has to do some arm-twisting to get them on board.

Once committed, Pekin and her
Published March 1st 2019 by Acorn Publishing

To ask other readers questions about The Haunting of Elmwood Manor, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Haunting of Elmwood Manor

Start your review of The Haunting of Elmwood Manor (Pekin Dewlap Mystery, #1)
Paul Falk
Sep 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: paranormal
Pamela McCord spun a tale crafted with a flair for the supernatural. It revolved around every child's worst nightmare - GHOSTS! The controversy of their existence continues to live on today and will do so for generations to come.

As the scenes unfolded, I found myself swept along a paranormal fantasy that held my undivided attention from beginning to end.

Pekin, and her two cohorts, Amber and Scout became novice partners with her in the ghost business. Beginning at an early age, Pek
Amie's Book Reviews
Apr 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
THE HAUNTING OF ELMWOOD MANOR is the first book in a new middle grade series.

Starring three friends, this tale is one that many readers, especially those in the target age range, will easily relate to. Middle graders are usually interested in ghost stories and love to scare each other by telling tales at sleepovers, etc. Because of this, THE HAUNTING OF ELMWOOD MANOR is a novel that will enthrall readers and could very well end up on the best-seller list.

The characters are easily relatable and
Jonah ❤️LIBROCUBICULARIST❤️
DNF @ chapter 2

I guess there are some books that we eventually outgrown...
M.C.V. Egan
Feb 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: review
Dewlap Mystery (The Pekin Dewlap Series Book 1) By Pamela McCord is a charming read. The young characters Pekin Dewlap, Amber and Scout are believable and embrace the curiosity of a teenage mind well.
Pekin’s passion about ghosts is not originally shared by her friends, here as well the author uses the teen qualities of convincing friends.
Miranda Talbert. Fourteen-year-old disappeared in 1918, and her spirit has wandered the halls of Elmwood Manor for the last hundred years.
Will the
Dani Winland
Mar 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I was given a copy of Pamela McCord’s THE HAUNTING OF ELMWOOD MANOR by Xpresso Book Tours for this month’s Mystery & Thrillers review, and I’m quite happy that received the copy! I always enjoy reading middle-grade stories, especially ones that I can share with my teacher friends and my nephew!

McCord’s story of Pekin and her friends, Scout and Amber, forming a ghostbusting business is one that I think many middle-graders will enjoy reading. There is enough excitement and mystery to it to ke
Lizzy (Bent Bookworm)
~*Check out all my reviews over at The Bent Bookworm!*~

I’ve really been on a middle-grade kick lately and I was super excited to get to review this book! Ghosts and ghost stories have fascinated me since I was a kid, so as soon as I read the synopsis I was all on board. Overall I gave it 3.5/5 stars!

Things I Liked :

- The ghost bits were particularly well done. I found the hairs on the back of my neck raising at several passages! Eeeesh.
- Descriptions of the old house were awesome./>
Candyce Kirk
Apr 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
As a big fan of mysteries, I couldn't say no to a middle grade book with ghosts and a problem to solve. I remember being a big fan of Harriet the Spy and I'm sure if I was still that age, I would want to be a 'Ghostie' and help ghosts move on! The author made this whole journey seem like fun, even if it is a little spooky!

Our characters Pekin, Scout and Amber are all best friends. Pekin had an idea to start her business. She got it all set up and figured if she did, her friends would
Anjana
Jul 09, 2019 rated it liked it
This book had a very large scope of possibilities. The children, (although they are teens and one of them drives, their conversations made me feel like they existed in a separate younger world) have been friends since as far as they can remember. The story jumps right into the premise, providing us with information about the strange new job that Pekin has planned and is automatically assuming her friends will be a part of . Although aiming at a younger audience than me, I felt the interpersonal ...more
Amanda Shepard (Between-the-Shelves)
Read my full review at between-the-shelves.com!

Really giving this 3.5/5 stars, and thanks to Xpresso Reads for the review copy!

What a fun middle grade mystery! Ghosts are one aspect of paranormal that aren’t touched on a whole lot in books (that I know of). At work, parents often come looking for this kind of book for their young teens. I can’t wait to recommend this one!

This book has all the markings of a great mystery novel. As we read, the mystery unfolds slowly, pulling the reader i
Lori Oliver-Tierney
Oct 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A really fun read for middle schoolers. I do agree that the characters were a bit young acting for a YA novel but I was charmed by them. The writing is really good and I had a middle grade student read it in a class I subbed in and they said it was great. So that says something. I am looking forward to Pamela McCord's next book. Great debut novel
Hauntedbybooks
Apr 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019
The Haunting of Elmwood Manor was such a fun and thrilling paranormal mystery! Plenty of adventure, friendship and of course ghosts! I really enjoyed this book and I can't wait to read the next one!

Energy
Mar 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
Pekin is always able to rope her two best friends, Scout and Amber, into her wild ideas. So when she decides to start a ghost hunting business, she gets everything prepared ahead of time. She wants to show them that she's serious. While they're both hesitant at first, they agree to at least meet their new client and check out the house. While Amber wants nothing to do with ghosts, Scout seems to be at least going along to be supportive.

They luck out because there is a ghost at the home they dub
Rachel
Apr 10, 2019 rated it it was ok
**I received a free copy from the publisher in exchange for an honest review**
2.5 Stars

This book had a great concept that it couldn't quite live up to. Pekin as a character is both likeable and annoying. She can be very bossy and self-centered, but is able to admit it and apologize when she realizes she's pushing her friends around. I have to say, her friends were much more forgiving of her pushiness than I probably would have been at that age. I could have done with a little l
Holly Kammier
Jan 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I loved everything about this adorable spooky middle grade book!!! What a treasure.
November Is Nyarlathotep The Haunted Reading Room
THE HAUNTING OF ELMWOOD MANOR is a truly delightful YA paranormal with elements of horror and mystery. It's also a well-thought out coming-of-age drama, even though the characters are 15 and 16 (usually it seems coming-of-age stories have younger characters, but in this novel the theme works so well as the three best friends are maturing toward adulthood and viewing each other and their peers in a different light). There is a strong emphasis on "doing the right thing" and on solidifying one's pl ...more
CE Author Assistant
Apr 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
Disclosure: I received a copy of this book in exchange for my honest and unbiased review.

Impressions:
The Haunting of Elmwood Manor is a fun paranormal mystery with just a touch of teen romance. Pekin Dewlap and her friends, Scout and Amber, are wholesome and likeable kids who take their friendship very seriously.

When Pekin dives headfirst into a plan to start a ghost-busting business with her ride-or-die besties, she doesn’t hold back in her quest to make it happen.
Pekin Dewlap could see ghosts as a child, but that talent disappeared as she grew and now she misses it. So, she bullies her friends Amber and Scout into joining the new ghost hunting business she's starting. Although they've been friends since they were little, Pekin never told them about the ghosts. Despite the fact that Amber is scared out of her mind, Pekin repeatedly guilts her into helping. When a ghost finally does appear to them, will they be able to figure out how to help?

Th
Tonja Drecker
Apr 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Mystery, friendship and some ghostly surprises await in this easy-to-read and easy-to-get-hooked-to adventure.

Pekin has gotten her parents to agree to her new business idea, and she's able to convince her two best friends as well...barely. Being a ghost hunter might seem strange, but Pekin has ulterior motives—she wants to keep her ability to see ghosts and maybe speak to them. but her and her friends find more than she bargained for when they investigate Elmwood Manor. Add ghostly i
Coralee Hicks
While not intended as such, I believe McCord has created a series that would serve well in the category of High Interest/Low Vocabulary. These books offer highly engaging stories, that will bring a reader into the plot. The end result is a further development of reading skills such as fluency, increased vocabulary and, hopefully, an increased interest in reading.

This volume is intended as the first in a series featuring Pekin Dewlap, a budding entrepreneur and
ghost hunter. As a chil
Catherine Edward
I always love a nice horror novel. This made me feel like I'm watching a nice movie.

The Haunting of Elmwood Manor revolves around three teens, who wants to become Ghost busters. Pekin Dewlap takes a step to make their silly childhood dream a reality, starting a business without her friend's knowledge. To her surprise, she receives a letter from Elonia Collins, who request her to remove whatever entity is occupying her family manor.

While elated on receiving her first busin
Adriana
Sep 30, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: young-adult
This is a 3.5-star book not because the story isn't good or it's not well written, but because it suffers a bit from indecision about what kind of book it wants to be.
The 15 and 16-year-old protagonists act like way younger kids at times and more grown-up than the actual grown-ups some of the others. It made for a bizarre disconnect between scenes. Is this a middle-grade book, a YA, or a serious ghost story? McCord didn't seem to be 100% sure and so the tone of the book wobbles from place to pl
Sheila Baldwin
Feb 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A great read for any person, both young and young at heart, who wants to break away from their everyday life and join in a spooky adventure. The curiosity and imagination of a group of friends led by a young girl, who at the age of 5 experienced her first contact with the hereafter when her grandmother passed away, sets the stage for the ensuing adventures. After the initial chapters building the background of the group, the story takes off and quickly reaches a point where you can't put it down ...more
P.J. Colando
Oct 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I haven't read a middle-grade book since, well, since I was in the middle grades a long, long time ago. Nevertheless, this book was a page-turner for me and I'm gifting it to several of my Grands.

This book is peppered with young love and pre-teen angst, but it's not smarmy or cringe-worthy, that is, there's nothing to worry about as I gift it. Its plot is compelling, one that teens will enjoy, while they enjoy an illusion of control over life and the thought of leading rather than re
Jennifer Patino
Sep 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Spooky & Fun

The Haunting of Elmwood Manor is a fun, fast paced book filled with thrills and chills. I felt it was a great start to a series, introducing some delightful characters.

Pekin Dewlap, teen paranormal investigator, and her friends offer to cleanse an old house of a ghostly presence. They embark on a creepy journey filled with mystery, and also learn lessons about themselves along the way.

I appreciated the humor and supernatural books and tv show r
P.J. Colando
Oct 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

Jan Steele
Aug 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Middle schoolers will love this story about Pekin and her friends! At first, their job seems simple - to clean the house of the ghost who inhabits it. But this job turns out to be anything but easy as they dig deeper into the ghost's past and the mystery of why the ghost can't move on and vacate the house.

I loved following the unraveling of the mystery and did quite a bit of nail-biting as the pace and intensity of the story increased. For anyone who loves a good, scary story, this i
Andrea Thompson
This YA story gave me feelings that very fondly reminded me of cracking open my first dozen or so Nancy Drew books! Just a really well done YA mystery with some great friend characters, some things that go bump in the night and a mystery to solve.

I'm keeping this one filed away for when my kids get a little older, it fits right in to everything that made me fall in love with reading from about 5th grade on!

Mary
May 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
Good solid story with the trio of friends Pekin, Amber and Scout. Pekin used to see ghosts when she was younger and wants to see them again so she sets a business as a ghostie service. Pekin gets a job at 12 Elmwood which has been vacant for almost 50 years. This is an entertaining story with teenage angst and murder from years gone by. Great for teenagers and adults. Was definitely scary and creepy in parts.
Zaneta Warren
Aug 04, 2019 rated it it was ok
This book was pretty good. The storyline and premise were very good however the execution of the story was not done very well. I did enjoy the book but it was a push to finish the book and stay interested.

• Shoes on the Stairs
  • Nutmeg Street: Egyptian Secrets (A Botanic Hill Detectives Mystery, #1)
  • Smoke and Key
  • The Winner's Circle
  • House of Salt and Sorrows
  • Prologue to Murder (Beyond the Page Bookstore Mystery, #2)
  • Knit One, Die Two (A Knit & Nibble Mystery #3)
  • Oscar and Lucinda
  • No Saving Throw
  • Something Borrowed, Something Mewed (Lucky Paws Petsitting Mystery #5)
  • The Dating Proposal
  • Sconed to Death (Cat Latimer Mystery #5)
  • Two Like Me and You
  • My Name Is Rose
  • All We Could Have Been
  • Sifting Through Clues (A Cookbook Nook Mystery 8)
  • Murder in the Reading Room (Book Retreat Mysteries #5)
  • The Pull and Kick Murder (Sparrow & Haynes Mystery, #1)
Pam started writing later in life when an author friend challenged her to create a book from his story idea. Being a never-say-never person, she met the challenge and managed to finish an entire novel, much to her surprise. Since that beginning, she's written several books, in several genres. Romance, middle grade and paranormal comprise most of her work. Pam has spent over forty years working as ...more