Start by marking “Drop Dead Crime: Mystery and Suspense from the Leading Ladies of Murder” as Want to Read:
Drop Dead Crime: Mystery and Suspense from the Leading Ladies of Murder

Drop Dead Crime: Mystery and Suspense from the Leading Ladies of Murder

really liked it 4.00  ·  Rating details ·  327 ratings  ·  47 reviews
Five women. Five sublime authors of crime fiction. One stunning book.
Gripping thrillers, packed with deviously executed crimes and in-depth investigations are some of the most popular reads available on traditional and virtual book shelves today.

Now, you can sample some of the best female writers of crime fiction, in Drop Dead Crime, a collection of novellas packed
Published January 17th 2019 by Italics Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Drop Dead Crime, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Drop Dead Crime

really liked it 4.00  ·

Linda Strong
Jan 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2019
DROP DEAD CRIME by ASSORTED CRIME AUTHORS

This is a sample of some of the best crime fiction writing from some of the best female crime writers around ....... Lisa Regan, Leslie Wolfe, Colleen Helme, Amy Vansant, and Julie Smith .Their use of strong female leads, combined with delicately balanced plots, means suspense is always kept at a fever pitch—ready to boil over at any second.

I was first drawn to this book because of the first author listed. I've been following Lisa Regan for awhile now and
Alex ♈
Five women. Five sublime authors of crime fiction.

All were unknown to Alex.
This book was a great opportunity to learn new suspense authors.
Yay!
Also on KU! :)

Lisa Regan’s Over The Edge
4 stars because of the great ending!
Good suspense, but many crimes (happened and mentioned) were based on rape and abuse of women and children, also underage prostitution. These abhorrent things happen in life, I know; still not my fav to read about and it's definitely too prominent in this genre and way too ov
Jeanie Jackson
Jan 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I have to say that this is one of the all round best anthology I have ever read

My favorite novella is no surprise since I am a big Shelby Nichol's fan. Colleen Helme's story, "Behind Blue Eyes", novella alone was worth the cost of the book but that is true of most of the stories and novellas in the collection. I don't know how she does it, but Ms. Helme manages to bring more to a novella than some authors bring to a whole book. Without bogging down the plot, the author provides enough background
Pandora
Jan 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
Really well put together short stories

I truly appreciated the combination of crime stories that were brought together in this book. All edgy crimes with remarkable characters within wonderful plots. It also has given me new authors whose work I previously did not know a chance to enjoy.
Linda
Wow! This is the most engrossing anthology I have ever read---and I enjoyed all the authors.

Lisa Regan is new to me, as was Leslie Wolfe, I will look into other books by both of them. Colleen Helme is the author of one of my favorite characters, Shelby Nichols. I loved her story! Amy Vansant's opening gave my heart palpitations---which quickly morphed into laughter. I definitely want more of her Highlander , and Julie Smith, too. Looking for thrills, action, suspense and a laugh or two? This boo
Patty
Jan 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is a great book with a great list of five authors. Their stories are exciting and some an edge of your seat thrills. A couple of the authors I have not read before, but I will be now. This is a great way to get introduced to new authors and some of their main characters. You will not be disappointed.
Julie Howard
Jan 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is brilliant five very talented female authors have joined together to come with five individual stories based on there heroines.
4 stars Over the edge by Lisa Regan- Pi Jocelyn Rush.
This is the first boom I have read by this author had I enjoyed it. It had some nice twist and turns that kept you reading. What should you do if someone committed suicide right in front of you after crashing into your car. For Pi Jocelyn that's easy you look into the women's life and try to piece together the p
Cheryl
Jan 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is an absolutely chilling group of stories in this anthology. Four of these authors were new to me so I have now opened my reading world to a larger group of mysteries.

Leslie Wolfe is favorite of mine and I devour everything of hers i can get my hands on. Her contribution to this anthology is a novella featuring FIB Agent Tess Winnett. She is drawn to investigate a serial killer when she offers aid to one of the killer's almost victims. Tess' job is on the line for she is forbidden to work
Bonnye Reed
99 cent purchase
Marian
Jan 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
Nice collection.

This was a nice way to get quick bites of these authors' styles. Julie Smith's novella was, for me, the stand out story in the collection.
Cranky - The Book Curmudgeon
Feb 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
5 Cranky Stars

I really thoroughly enjoyed this anthology. Every story was solid. The characters were well thought out. There were no weak links or stories. This is by far the best anthology I've read in a long time. I breezed through reading. All the short stories had thrills, intrigue, mystery, and strong female protagonists.

The stories were so good in fact that I plan on looking all of these authors up and reading their works. Many of these characters I simply can’t stop thinking about. I hav
Heather Martin
Mar 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
Drop Dead Crime

Drop Dead Crime is a collection of five mystery, suspense and some paranormal novellas featuring female leads, from authors Lisa Regan, Leslie Wolfe, Colleen Helme, Amy Vansant and Julie Smith. I’m a fan of mystery and suspense books and was excited to read this as I’ve only read Leslie Wolfe before. My one disappointment, because it’s me, is that some of these novellas (or possibly all) are based on established characters or series, and it was obvious. So, if you’re in no hurry,
Dee
Feb 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Anyone of this genre
Recommended to Dee by: Author
Drop Dead Crime Bk 1-5 - Written by Regan, Wolfe, Helme, Vansant, Smith
One book, five great authors, a great crime fiction read!!!!

Lisa Regan’s Over The Edge is guaranteed to keep you up at night. When P.I. Jocelyn Rush witnesses a young mother jump from a bridge, she is determined to solve the mystery of why, and what she finds is a complex web of secrets and lies so shocking it could destroy the people left behind.

Leslie Wolfe introduces FBI Agent Tess Winnett in Not Really Dead, a fast-paced
Kenneth Lingenfelter
Jan 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing
My favorite stories of the five were Leslie Wolfe and Lisa Regan. Tess Winnett is a fierce FBI agent that never quits until the case is solved. This was a short version of her FBI exploits. She takes over a case from another agent while being a decoy to catch a serial killer.
Lisa Regan story is about an abuse woman who rear ends Jocelyn and Anita, who are PI's. She tries to leave the scene, but their bumpers are locked together. She then runs and jumps off a bridge into the water. A surprise end
Dennis Johnson
Jan 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
WOW! What a great set of novellas!

What great novellas! I have not completed all of the stories yet, but what a deal to get works by all these authors in one purchase. I finished the book with the last story about Tess who was an FBI profiler agent in Florida. This particular story was by author Leslie Wolff. The story grabbed my attention immediately and I could not put it down until the final page! Great characters, excellent storyline, and not too graphic. If you like this genre I would recomm
Sherry M Ambrose
Jan 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Quick down and dirty stories. No drawn out theories, no running through anything. Just strong women going after the bad guys--ang getting them . Not without the assistance of trusted make counterparts.

I loved how quick the stories were. Not long descriptive paragraphs of glacier scenery or aqua waters, just enough to set the scene. Someone could have taken a little care with reading over beforehand to correct a few minor language glitches. For instance, in a scene between Tess and Donovan.....'
Vicki Johnson
Mar 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This set has a great collection of short stories together in one book. I was familiar with only one author, Leslie Wolfe. An interesting collection with predominantly strong female leads. Most appealed to me. All the authors did a good job with their basic story, plot and characters. The stories are all very short so it's quick reading with just one particular book and then pick it up later. I got this for Leslie Wolfe's book and it did not disappoint. I would recommend this book. Vicki from Wyo ...more
Becky Baldridge
Feb 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
Five quick, entertaining reads in crime fiction. The styles are as different as the premises of these tales, but each features a strong female lead, excellent suspense, and some great twists along the way. From serial killers to mind readers to a death that doesn't make sense, every single one of these stories are well-done examples of great crime solving. The beauty of an anthology is the comfort of familiar authors mixed with finding some new surprises in the unfamiliar, and this one had a goo ...more
Janice
Mar 15, 2019 rated it liked it
I enjoyed two of the five stories -- Lisa Regan and Leslie Wolfe did a fine good of creating believable tales around their known characters. I've read Lisa Regan before but not Leslie Wolfe. Colleen Helme is humorous and quick but not for me. Amy Vansant was funny and created interesting characters -- I might give her books a try. Julie Smith's story did not hold my attention and I found the writing to be stilted and dry.
Tatiana Lammers
Feb 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: books-i-scored
I really like this collection of novellas in the genre of mysteries and thrillers by women authors. This is a great way to discover new writers and check whose writing style one like the best.
My most favorite of all the books in this anthology was Leslie Wolfe's "Not Really Dead". I am a big fan of Tess Winnet's series, so this one was like a special treat at the end of the collection. It felt great to read about the characters I've grown to like so much throughout these series.
C.
Feb 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
A very enjoyable group of novellas that pretty much filled the niche on a rainy day. I do have to say the only one of the group that didn't work for me was "Parental Kilt" by Amy Vansant. There is no reason why anyone who likes to read should have to spend that much time trying to decipher what a character is saying. The flow of the story is completely lost. The rest of the stories are well worth the cost and, who knows, you might not be bothered by Vansant's story.
Jill  Kirtley
Feb 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I can’t get enough of Shelby and co.

This review is for Behind Blue Eyes (A Shelby Nichols Adventure) by Colleen Helme.

When Shelby’s hired to find a stolen item she’ll need more than her mind reading ability to catch the bad guy. Yet another exciting adventure for Shelby and co. I loved it!

Nancy
Feb 23, 2019 rated it liked it
Enjoyable, Mostly

Over the Edge and The Big Crazy were favorites. Didn’t care for The Parental Kilt at all. Not Really Dead had some big holes, but it held my interest. Behind Blue Eyes would have been easier to follow if the mind-reading parts had been in a different font. Several had minor proofreading errors.
David Taylor
Jan 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
Drop Dead Crime is a compilation of five short crime thrillers. Prior to reading this I was only familiar with Leslie Wolfe’s Tess Winnett stories. Each of these stories is engaging in their stories own way and overall this collection was very entertaining, but I have to say my favorites were Leslie Wolfe’s and Lisa Regan’s.
I’m interested in reading more from all of these authors.
Quanita
Jan 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Five of the Best

Usually there is a least one stinker with a multi-author collection, not so here. All five are great mystery/thrillers. Strong female leads without any mush. I was gifted this book from the author.
Sandra Marcel-
Feb 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
Loved it

This is a very well rounded anthology. Every story really delivers thrills , mystery, and excitement. Strong female leads with backbone and grit. I highly recommend this book.
Sherry Vaughan
Jan 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Superlative

A great set of mystery short stories written by some of the best in the business. Each is a story using one of their main characters. The stories are suspenseful and superlative. I am definitely going to be buying more books by these authors.
Cheryl
Feb 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
An eclectic mix! I really enjoyed 4 out of the 5 stories, the other one was so-so to me. Anyway you look at it this is a deal Found a new author and anything by Leslie Wolfe works for me. Some great suspense, mystery. Put it on your shelf!

Marta Minder
Mar 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Looking to pass the day

I have a soft spot for short stories. These are some great female writers of mysteries entertaining their fans. An interesting collect that are just the right length to fill in your work break.
Rita
Feb 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this collection of short stories by these author's. They are all unique and wonderful. Each story had a great plot and unique characters. I liked each story. I will be reading more from each of the author's.
  • Bridge Over Time
  • Iris
  • Blue Blood for Life (My Blood Runs Blue, #2)
  • The Forgotten Princess of Elmetia
  • The Christmas Honeymoon  (Holiday Luv, #1)
  • Happy Endings (McCallister's Paradise - 1)
  • Trails in the Sand
  • The Good Chase (Highland Games #2)
  • The Sinner Who Seduced Me (Regency Rogues, #3)
  • The Mona Lisa Speaks
  • Undiplomatic Murder (Capital Crimes #27)
  • A Bride for the Season (Love's Grace, #3)
  • In Memories We Fear (Vampire Memories, #4)
  • The Italian's Deal for I Do (Society Weddings, #1)
  • Confessions of a Secret Admirer: A Valentine's Day Anthology
  • Pairing Off (Red Hot Russians, #1)
  • Burn Out (Rachel Scott, #2)
  • The Orchard
Lisa Regan has written over 400 published titles, including picture books, puzzle books, children's reference and curriculum-linked workbooks. She lives in Colchester, UK, with her sons and husband.

Her work ranges from magazine-style books on fashion and sleepovers, to highly illustrated STEM titles that fit into schools and libraries lists. Her favourite topics are wildlife and geography, but she
“clearing.” 0 likes