Start by marking “The Magazine of Fantasy & Science Fiction September/October 2018 (The Magazine of Fantasy & Science Fiction Book 135)” as Want to Read:

NOVELETS

The Men Who Come from Flowers – Bonnie Jo Stufflebeam
The Gallian Revolt as Seen from the Sama-Sama Laundrobath – Brenda Kalt
We Mete Justice with Beak and Talon – Jeremiah Tolbert
Suicide Watch – Susan
Published November 11th 2018 (first published 2018)

Be the first to ask a question about The Magazine of Fantasy & Science Fiction September/October 2018

Gary
Sep 28, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Cassandra Khaw and Jonathan L. Howard offer a reversal of the “white savior” trope featured in most West meets East stories; in “Shooting Iron”, a Malaysian woman become a wild west gunslinger to liberate an American ghost town whose residents are frozen in time by a 100-plus-year-old curse. As a child, rich girl Jenny Lim crash lands in Angel Gulch, where the residents haven’t aged a day since the 19th century, thanks to a curse authored by Boss Lonely, a demonic cattle rancher who made the tow ...more
Leroy Erickson
Aug 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fandsfmag
One of the best issues in a long time. Every story is above average and a couple of them are very good.

Brian Trent - The Memorybox Vultures - 4 stars
- A very well done story about a near future where when people die they can leave a social media/AI presence which can interact with people to a limited extent. Unfortunately, they can also be hacked.

Cassandra Khaw and Jonathan L. Howard - Shooting Iron - 4 stars
- Good vs. Evil with the battle being fought by the hero/heroine in the white hat agai
G33z3r
A couple of stories I really liked:

"Taste of Opal" by Yukimi Ogawa
Interesting fantasy world were a few rare people are born with "opal blood", a glowing magical liquid that makes cabochons for medicinal and recreational purposes. ****

"Emissaries from the Skirts of Heaven" by Gregor Hartmann
Life story of a woman, told in a series of six vignettes, from a rocky childhood to her wise old hermit phase. Set in a universe with an interesting religion. Comes off really well. ****

"The Memorybox Vulture
Beth Cato
Oct 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A darn good issue all around. I had a number of favorites:
- "The Memorybox Vultures" by Brian Trent: I've read and enjoyed several of Trent's stories, and this one creates a chilling and fascinating vision of the future where the dead continue to post on social media.
- "Powerless" by Harry Turtledove: Southern California under Russian communism, with a focus on a rebellious cog in the machine. Leave it to Turtledove to come up with a fresh alt history twist. I added this novelette to my awards
John Loyd
Sep 24, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fsf
8 • The Memorybox Vultures • 22 pages by Brian Trent
Very Good+. When people die they can have their memories uploaded into a quasi-intelligence. Donna Lane works for Epitaph corporation that manages quasints. She is talking with Brent McCue when she is kidnapped, wakes up the next morning to find that a client has committed suicide. Donna thinks it was murder. With the help of Brent she is able to find the identity of the hacker. Now what can she do with this information?

30 • Shooting Iron • 41
Kam Yung Soh
Sep 03, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A better than average issue with fun stories by Cassandra Khaw and Jonathan L. Howard, Jeremiah Tolbert, Yukimi Ogawa and Sarina Dorie. Susan Emshwiller's debut story was also interesting and continues her parent's involvement with the magazine.

- "The Memorybox Vultures" by Brian Trent: the story of a future where AI driven memories of dead people live on as 'posts from the dead'. But when one dead person's recorded videos of a politician's younger self abusing animals and others start to surfac
Peter Emshwiller
Great issue, front to back! And, sure I may be a little biased, but my sister’s dark, haunting story, Suicide Watch, is just amazing! Heck, biases aside, even if we WEREN’T siblings I’d think it was fantastic! Go Sis!!
Leo Robertson
Dec 06, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Memorybox Vultures was excellent :)
Deborah Replogle
Oct 10, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Have I mentioned that this is my all time favorite Literature Magazine? Oh, I have? Well, it is. And again, I read every word of this issue.
Standback
Wonderfully strong issue; almost every story hits its mark -- and the variety of marks is dazzling.

"Shooting Iron," by Cassandra Khaw and Jonathan L. Howard, is the absolute standout in a very strong issue. A kickass protagonist in a pitch-perfect adventure story, that grabs tropes of East and Westerns and flips them on their head.

"The Memorybox Vultures," by Brian Trent, imagines living on in the cloud after one's death... and consequently, who might try to extinguish such lives. Fast-paced and
Mary Soon Lee
This issue of F&SF contains three novelettes, all of which I liked, and eight short stories, all but one of which I liked. Of the novelettes, my favorite is Harry Turtledove's "Powerless," which is an alternate history where the main character lives in a totalitarian Communist state in California's San Fernando Valley. It's a very effective story about small, stubborn acts of defiance.

Among the short stories, two stood out for me. Susan Emshwiller's "Suicide Watch" is a deeply disturbing sto
Stephen
Michael Frasca
Sep 27, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My favorite stories:

- Harry Turtledove - Powerless. You can't fight city hall. Or can you? Revolutions build from small actions at the grassroots.

- Brenda Kalt - The Gallian Revolt as Seen from the Sama-Sama Laundrobath. Nice companion piece to Powerless.

- Gregor Hartmann - Emissaries From the Skirts of Heaven. Compressing an entire life story into a short story is no mean feat. Hartmann pulls it off masterfully. Sure to be on many award shortlists.
Tad Kilgore
May 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019
Every story was well-written and intense. A Taste of Opal was particularly outstanding. . There are no compromises in this issue.
Renee Babcock
This was an exceptionally good edition. I often find myself skipping a story or two but not this time. Every store was really good.
Antonio
Nov 18, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Memorybox Vultures had an amazing premise and was executed well, with a tight plot, a good balance of action and reflection, sleezy goverment types, badass heorines, and an ending that grips the heart. My favorite story in this issue
Fernando Goulart
Nov 04, 2018
Donald S Fuchs
rated it did not like it
Jun 14, 2019
Sep 29, 2018
Matthew Royal
Jul 05, 2019
Susan Emshwiller
Nov 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
Wsantosf Santos
Dec 27, 2018
Editor: The Magazine of Fantasy & Science Fiction (fandsf.com).

Author: The Prodigal Troll, the Traitor to the Crown Series, and Wild Things, and dozens of short stories.

Awards: nominated for the John W. Campbell Award for Best New Writer (2003), the Hugo Award (2003, 2009), the Locus Award for Best Magazine (2016), the Nebula Award (2003, 2009), the Sidewise Award (2003) Sturgeon Award (2009)