Start by marking “The Strangers We Know” as Want to Read:

The Strangers We Know

Imagine seeing your loving husband on a dating app. Now imagine that’s the best thing to happen to you all week …

When Charlie sees a man who is the spitting image of her husband Oliver on a dating app, her heart stops. Her first desperate instinct is to tell herself she must be mistaken – after all, she only caught a glimpse from a distance as her friends were laughingly s
Published December 1st 2019 by Simon & Schuster Australia

To ask other readers questions about The Strangers We Know, please sign up.
Amy IS Yes I would love to know too. If you could please share what Pip’s answer was and then just mark it as a spoiler so we don’t upset any future readers.

Start your review of The Strangers We Know
Kylie D
What would you do if you found out that your husband was cheating on you? What would you do if you found your whole life was a lie? Charlie's world collapses when quite by accident she finds her husbands profile on a dating site. When she confronts him he laughs it off, but things aren't adding up. She finds more signs of extra marital affairs, and then everything implodes, and she turns to her girlfriends for help.

As she digs into Oliver's life she is stunned to find that he, and others around
Carolyn
This is a very twisty thriller indeed!

Charlie Carter thinks she has the perfect marriage to Oliver, a handsome, considerate man, so different to her previous partner Josh. But when she spots his photo on her friend's dating app she starts to have her doubts that he's not who she thought he was. And then she is implicated in a murder and must use all her smarts to work out what has been going on before the police catch up with her.

This is very compelling reading, because like Charlie, you just
Mandy White (mandylovestoread)
Pip Drysdale - you have done it again! When I read The Sunday Girl last year I was instantly a fan and could not wait to get my hands on copy of The Strangers We Know. And again I stayed up way past my bedtime to read this book. And it was absolutely worth all the lost sleep as I could not get enough. This book is headed straight to the top of the bestsellers chart - it is brilliant! I will be recommending The Strangers We Know to anybody that will listen to me!!

Imagine seeing a photo that you t
☘Misericordia☘ ⚡ϟ⚡⛈⚡☁ ❇️❤❣
Q: Who the hell had I married? (c)
Q: Fuck you, I trusted you – well, sort of. (c)

How do you get over life? You just don't.

The bad:
Q:
He was the closest thing to magic I’d ever seen: it was as if he’d stepped straight out of a rom com. Like the cast of Friends might be trailing close behind. (c) Frankly? Sounds like the perfect setting to some cross between a horror-show and a boring-fest instead of romantic meeting. 'Friends'? Whoever watches that crap?
Q:
And from the way he looked at me, it fe
Sharon
Charlie Carter thought she had a good, happy and loving marriage to her husband, Oliver that was until she saw him on a dating app. At first Charlie is in disbelief and thinks she’s made a mistake and maybe it’s someone who looks like him. But when Charlie looks closely at the picture she quickly realises it’s no mistake because it’s a photo that she took of him.

Charlie confronts Oliver about being on the dating app and he denies it. Charlie can’t let it go and decides to do a bit of detective
Lisa
Aug 29, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: thrillers
What would you do if you found out that your husband was cheating on you? what would you do if you found out your whole like was a lie?
Charlie Carter thought she was married to the perfect man but she found out her husband Oliver's picture on a dating app, of course she was horrified, the man she married was cheating on her.

As her world implodes she gets the help of her girlfriends to find out the truth!! Before Oliver married Charlie he was with Alyssa a very unstable relationship occurred she
Pip Drysdale
Sep 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
So, I may or may not be biased...
Pat (not getting friend updates currently)
The Strangers We Know

Oh happy days - finally a good book again! I really enjoyed Pip Drysdale’s debut The Sunday Girl and this was equally good, maybe even better. And joy of joys, I have her next one The Paris Affair to read soon 😊.

So Charlie (Charlene) is an aspiring actress whose day job is in an upmarket boutique. She has trust issues, you learn why as the book progresses, but nevertheless she fell hard and fast for Oliver Buchanan and they married after 8 months. Oliver is gorgeous and char
Veronica ⭐️
Nov 11, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019, crime, s-s
I just devoured this twisty thriller. Charlie has discovered her husband is cheating when she inadvertently sees his photo on her friends dating app. Her perfect life starts to spiral downhill after her insecurities, old hurts and paranoia set in. Does she really know the man she has married?

Charlie signs up to the dating app, under a false name, and when she gets a message from Oliver she is shocked to the core by what she reads.

When everything seems lost and Charlie doesn’t know who to turn to
Marianne
Nov 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Strangers We Know is the second novel by Australian/African raised writer, actor and musician, Pip Drysdale. Eighteen months into her (deliriously happy) marriage to gorgeous high-powered businessman, Oliver Buchanan, actress Charlie Carter catches sight of his image as her friend swipes left on her dating app. Charlie could swear it’s a photo of him on their honeymoon, one she took. But there’s a reason Charlie hesitates to confront him directly about it, and her more general question promp ...more
Gloria Arthur
Nov 05, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Just who can you trust? A twisty modern day thriller!

Charlie notices her husband’s photo on a dating app her friends are swiping through, in fact she even took that photo on their honeymoon! She’s in shock and thinks she must be mistaken as she has the perfect marriage, hasn’t she? Her suspicions are now aroused and as she casts her mind back things start beginning to add up.

Charlie shamelessly decides to sign up to the dating app herself as a blonde she’s invented named Annabella with a few ran
Brooke - One Woman's Brief Book Reviews
*www.onewomansbbr.wordpress.com
*www.facebook.com/onewomansbbr

The Strangers We Know by Pip Drysdale. (2019).

Charlie's heart stops when she sees on a dating app a man who is the spitting image of her husband Oliver. Surely she must be mistaken, she only got a glimpse...but she can't let it go because she's the one who took that particular photo, on their honeymoon. Suddenly other signs of betrayal start to add up and so Charlie decides to sign up to the app to catch Oliver in the act. But Charlie
Amanda - Mrs B's Book Reviews
*https://mrsbbookreviews.wordpress.com
‘Sometimes all it takes is one plot twist to realise nobody is who you think they are and everything you know to be true is actually false.’

Actor, musician and writer Pip Drysdale returns with her second novel, The Strangers We Know. A modern domestic thriller, with twists aplenty and a whole host of false leads, this addictive page turner enthralls from cover to cover.

Charlie is a married aspiring actress, who lives in London. When Charlie is confronted wit
Emily
Jan 07, 2020 rated it it was ok
"But the truth is: sometimes it's not okay. Sometimes all it takes is one plot twist to realise nobody is who you think they are and everything you know to be true is actually false."

I liked the idea of The Strangers We Know, but I was not a fan of the execution. The synopsis sounded interesting, and I liked the book in the beginning, but it did not last.

This book tried way too hard to be twisty, and it ended up being predictable and silly. I wish the story would have been more straightforward
Miriam Smith (A Mother’s Musings)
Pip Drysdale’s debut novel ‘The Sunday Girl’ was widely enjoyed by thriller readers and her latest suspense mystery, ‘The Strangers We Know’, is another thoroughly entertaining read that I enjoyed immensely.
“When Charlie sees a man who is the spitting image of her husband Oliver on her friend’s dating app, her heart stops. Her first desperate instinct is to tell herself she must be mistaken but no matter how much she tries to push her fears aside, she can’t because she took that photo - on thei
Sheree | Keeping Up With The Penguins
The Strangers We Know is the new domestic drama-slash-thriller by Pip Drysdale. Simon & Schuster were kind enough to provide a copy for review, and it was just the ticket for taking my mind off this stifling summer heat!

Charlie and Oliver had the perfect meet cute, a whirlwind romance, and a happy marriage... until one night, Charlie joins her single friends for a girl's night out, and the unthinkable happens: they're swiping through her best friend's Tinder matches, and Oliver's profile comes u
Ace
Dec 31, 2019 rated it liked it
2.5 rounded up.
Cathie Sawyer
Nov 20, 2019 rated it did not like it
Paula Brandon
Dec 30, 2019 rated it liked it
Your enjoyment of this thriller will depend on how much you can tolerate what an absolute numbskull the protagonist is. The book basically wouldn't exist if it weren't for Charlie Buchanan making the most stupid, bone-headed moves at every single opportunity. It was exhausting.

The book begins with Charlie spotting a profile on her friend's Tinder app that looks exactly like Charlie's husband, Oliver. Indeed, it's a photo she took of him herself. The first big hurdle you need to get over to belie
Renee Hermansen
Dec 03, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Thanks to Simon&Schuster for my ARC of this great book by Pip Drysdale.
I was really looking forward to this read as it looked intriguing and I wasn't disappointed.
I was hooked from the start with the story of Charlie and her husband Oliver.

"Do we really know anyone" is the question when Charlie finds her man's profile on a dating app.
She goes on to try to uncover the truth about what is going on in her husband's life and discovers more than she bargained for. Right until the end of this book y
Shelleyrae at Book'd Out
“Nothing is ever as it seems, is it?”

When Charlie Carter catches a glimpse of a man who looks like her husband on a dating app, she desperately wants to believe she is mistaken. Since their marriage eighteen months previously, Oliver has been the perfect husband…hardworking, attentive and loving, and she wants his unequivocal denial to be enough.

“You see, that’s the problem with trust issues: eventually you find you can’t trust yourself either.”

But it isn’t. To allay her lingering suspicions, Ch
Kim
Oct 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Oh my goodness! This book will make you look twice at your husband, partner or friends and wonder if you really know them at all!
Charlie appears to have the perfect marriage to Oliver…. until she sees his photo on her friend’s dating app and her world is turned upside down. She sets out to prove her suspicions that he is cheating, however she soon discovers a cheating husband is the least of her problems.
This book really takes you for a ride on many twists and turns, and just like Charlie, you
Dominique Wilson
Oct 29, 2019 rated it it was ok
Very nearly put this book in the 'did not finish' pile, but thought it would be unfair to offer a review if not reading it to the end. As it was, though the plot did become more interesting from about the halfway mark, I just wasn't able to connect with the protagonist. I found the tone somewhat superficial, and some of the events totally unrealistic. A shame, really, because the concept was an interesting one. ...more
Jennifer (JC-S)
‘Nothing is ever as it seems, is it?’

Meet Charlie. She believes that she and husband Oliver have the perfect marriage, until the day she thinks she sees an image of Oliver on a dating application. Surely, she’s mistaken? But she recognises the photograph (she took it herself).

And so begins a fast-paced convoluted journey as Charlie, having confronted Oliver and not accepted his denial, leaves him and tries to do her own detective work. But who, and what can she trust?

‘You see, that’s the problem
Kathryn
Actual rating 2.5

A little shallow and superficial in places, but there were enough plot twists to hold my interest to the end.

A longer review will appear on my blog, Kathryn's Inbox closer to the publication date.
Rachel Hall
Dec 02, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Strangers We Know is standard psychological thriller fare that kicks off when occasional actress Charlie sees a photo that she took of her perfect husband on a dating website and is faced with deciding how to deal with his possible infidelity. So far, so standard but what elevated this book for me was Charlie’s conversational first person narrative that sees her addressing the reader directly and even reminding us to pay attention at critical moments. I found this style hard to resist and wa ...more
Book Bandit
Sep 23, 2019 rated it liked it
3/5 Overall
2/5 Style
5/5 Story

Loved the concept and the characters, this is a genuine page turner with some surprising twists. I did find the voice and the style a little distracting and not overly polished. I've also decided that this would make an amazing TV series or film.
Kate
Jan 26, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2020-read
This book was fantastic!! It constantly kept me on the edge of my seat needing to know what happened.
The characters were so well done, and the plot was consistent the whole way through. Absolutely loved it.
Renny Barcelos
Jan 05, 2020 rated it did not like it
Holy hell, this was so, so bad! It sounds like a parody, it's so ridiculous. The dialogues, the plot, everything, so, so, laughable! ...more
Jacki (Julia Flyte)
This is a twisty thriller that grabbed me from the first sentence. I pretty much read it in one sitting. It's not perfect, it drags slightly in places and the ending is improbable but that's pretty standard in this genre. It's still immensely readable.

The story is about Charlie, an actress who met and married Oliver about 18 months ago. He works in finance and his job involves lots of travel. One night she's out with a friend when she spots his photo on a dating app that her friend is showing he

• The Wife and the Widow
  • Riptides
  • The Girl Who Reads on the Métro
  • Maggie's Going Nowhere
  • Christmas Shopaholic
  • Into the Night (Gemma Woodstock, #2)
  • A Million Dreams
  • Sheerwater
  • Just an Ordinary Family
Pip Drysdale is a writer, musician and actor who grew up in Africa and Australia. At 20 she moved to New York to study acting, worked in indie films and off-off Broadway theatre, started writing songs and made four records. After graduating with a BA in English, Pip moved to London where she played shows across Europe and started writing books. Her debut novel, The Sunday Girl, was a bestseller an ...more