Start by marking “Over the Line” as Want to Read:
Over the Line

Over the Line

In this high-stakes romantic suspense novel where tensions mount on both sides of the border, bestselling author Kelly Irvin explores what happens when the past explodes against the present and the only person you can turn to is the one who broke your heart.

Published June 11th 2019 by Thomas Nelson (first published June 2019)

To ask other readers questions about Over the Line, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Over the Line

Start your review of Over the Line
Deanne Patterson
I really never gave a thought to reading the suspense genre before my son became a police officer, I was too busy reading Amish and Historical fiction books. When I started reading suspense a whole new world of fascinating, action packed books opened up to me. I never thought I would enjoy this genre but I was mistaken.
When an author has success in writing a genre they usually stick to that genre and if they do switch to another genre the writing feels forced and doesn't read smoothly, not the
Rissa
Jun 18, 2019 rated it liked it
Gabbys brother is missing and the only person that can help her is her ex.

I didnt connect with the story. I loved Tell her no lies but this was slow and i didnt connect with the characters or the fact that her brother is missing.
Jes Drew
A non-stop action ride with a lots of romance on the side. Gabriella has enough on her plate owning a restaurant, living with her paraplegic, widowed sister and her two kids, and dodging her ex-fiance Eli whom she hasn't forgiven without a man showing up shot and uttering her brother's name. To save her missing in action brother, she plunges headfirst into a world of gun-smuggling ring at the border, forced to rely on Eli (who won me over with his Spanish pet names and deserves all the love in ...more
Susan
Jun 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audio-book, library
Loved this story. Gripped me right from the start. The characters were delightful. The narrator was outstanding. I’m looking forward to many more by this author.
Sarah Grace Grzy
I have no idea how to review this. XD

RTC
Melissa
May 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I received a complimentary copy this book from Thomas Nelson through netgalley.
I love a good mystery and kelly brings in to the table.
She has good plots and love the characters the cover and the title
It will have you interested from rhe beginning tell the end.
Staci
Nov 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2019
This suspense novel has a lot of action and it was a challenge to figure out who the villain was. Main character Gabriella is a former attorney that became a dessert chef. Her ex-fiance is in law enforcement and she has trouble with his occupation and believed he cheated on her.

The dynamics between the many characters including a couple of reporters was a lot of fun. Overall, a well done suspense novel.

My gratitude to publisher Thomas Nelson for a complimentary copy of the novel. I was not
Suzie Waltner
Jun 28, 2019 rated it liked it
Over the Line is and intense romantic suspense with close calls, an abundance of bad guys (and suspects) and not one, but two romances.

Kelly Irvin’s second romantic suspense book almost has too much happening at once (in addition to the abundance of characters). But, for the most part, I kept up with the characters and speedy plot. Yet it’s those exact things that seemed to have diminished some development of the main character interactions.

I never did feel like I fully connected with Gabrielle
Cara Putman
Apr 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book is filled with twists and turns, a mystery with an edge of suspense to keep the pages turning. Well drafted characters and a plot that engages. I enjoyed every page.
Hallie Szott
3.5

Another high-stakes suspense from Kelly Irvin, Over the Line starts with a bang, quickly delving into gun smuggling, a brother’s disappearance, and a broken romance.

When a young man dies on her doorstep, Gabriella Benoit becomes caught in quite a bit of danger, somehow connected to her brother, and the only person to whom she can turn for help is her ex-fiance, homicide detective Eli Cavazos. As the pair determines to find the truth—behind what’s currently happening, as well as what broke
Susan Wachtel
Apr 20, 2019 rated it liked it
Over the Line by Kelly Irvin – Mixed Reaction

Over the Line is Kelly Irvin’s newest book in the romantic suspense genre. I recently discovered Kelly’s writing when I read two of her recent Amish themed books and fell in love with her writing. That’s why I was excited to read her newest book.

Over the Line is an action-packed novel that seems like it could have been taken from today’s headline news. Chef and restaurateur, Gabriella Benoit is locking up her restaurant late at night and is met by a
Lisa Johnson
Title: Over the Line
Author: Kelly Irvin
Pages: e-book
Year: 2019
Publisher: Thomas Nelson
My rating is 3 out of 5 stars.
Eli Cavazos is a detective with a big secret. He and his former fiancée broke up because of this secret. Now, he is on the scene when a college student confronts his ex-fiancée, Gabriella Benoit, as she is leaving her restaurant. The guy says her brother’s name and then dies in her arms, having been gravely injured minutes prior. Gabriella is puzzled as to why this guy would utter
Jessica Baker (A Baker's Perspective)
Jul 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: suspense
Wow. This book really kept me turning the pages as fast as I could. It was full of suspense, nail biting scenes, and even a few surprises. I could see the entire story play in my head, almost like an episode of FBI or CSI. Irvin does a wonderful job of keeping readers on their toes, and ending the chapters with enough of a cliffhanger that there really isn’t a good stopping point. AKA – you might want to schedule a block of time to read this all at once.

There was a little romance amongst the
Toni
Jun 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arcs

I am not certain what I expected when I dove into this book, probably more thriller than anything due to the cover. What comes inside these pages is a romantic suspense Christian thriller with not one but two romances. Two sister’s find love while in the midst of high-stakes drama. Both are second chance love. One is love reunited. One is newfound.

On top of this surprising romance thing happening there is the search for Gabby’s missing brother, Jake, an ATF agent who fell for the
Rebecca

"I've seen enough to know that learning to put one foot in front of the other takes time and prayer and more time."

When Gabrielle Benoit's evening is interrupted by an over-protective ex-fiance and a dying stranger, her life spirals out of control; for the victim barely manages to speak her brother's name before a very handsome homicide detective rushes to her aid. The news only gets worse; Gabby's brother is missing, his undercover contact is dead, and the ensuing spiral of violent
Joan
Jul 09, 2019 rated it liked it
I enjoyed this novel with its good balance of suspense and romantic tension. Irvin's writing style is good and her plot kept me interested. I liked reading about the conditions in a town on the Texas-Mexico border, although the author notes the writing of this novel before the current border problems arose. I liked learning some about weapons trafficking too.

Irvin included a few thought provoking issues in the novel. One was the conflicting opinions about journalists. What is more important, a
Kav
Jul 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Whoa! What an intense, complicated, adrenaline-rush of a read! Power. Greed. Corruption. And a desperate race to find Gabriella's brother...while avoiding capture or death! And the dynamics between Gabriella and Eli -- oh la la! Gabriella is still carrying a major grudge after their break up but Eli is so penitent and besotted and all together droolworthy! While Gabriella is super intense and annoyingly stubborn and in-your-face opinionated and not shy about letting Eli know exactly how she ...more
Dana Michael
Jun 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
Over the Line is a romantic suspense with likeable characters with a storyline that could be plucked from today's headlines. I especially enjoyed Deacon. He is an endearing character. This had two sweet romances with an inspirational message of forgiveness.
I enjoyed it and thank Thomas Nelson for an advanced reader copy. This is my honest opinion.
Toni Shiloh
May 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
anything else for a few minutes after that tidbit.

The opening was great and Ms. Irvin set the mood for suspense and a backstory of broken romance.

I loved that the hero was a Latino and that we got to see some of the action from his pov. Hero and heroine povs always up the romantic factor in my opinion.

However, I would say that this book is more suspense with a thread of romance. Also, it took forever (again, in my opinion) for them to say why they broke up. There was such a hush about it and
Jo
Jun 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I'm loving Kelly Irvin's contemporary romantic suspense novels! Over the Line has page-turning action with a good balance of romance.
Joy Hunt
Jul 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: suspense
Laredo, Texas.

A border town, like my native San Diego. But not so much like my native San Diego. (Actually, I'm from North County SD, but who's counting?) I first heard of Laredo from my work in the supply chain field; Laredo is a major import/export location. For one of my customers, all shipments to Mexico went through two cities, and Laredo was one of them. It's a city that has been in my vocabulary and geographical knowledge for several years, but I didn't know much more about it until I
Tabitha Bouldin
Jul 12, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019
What happens when a former DA is forced to rely on her homicide detective ex-boyfriend? Well, for one, you get tons of tension and drama. Gabriella doesn’t trust Eli with her heart but she can trust him to keep her safe. Sounds like movie material to me.

Kelly Irvin brings current issues to life in Eli and Gabby’s gun-trafficking world of corrupt politics and border walls. I had a momentary ‘uh oh’ moment where I feared Over the Line might drop too deeply into politics, but it passed quickly
Iola
Jul 06, 2019 rated it liked it
I really enjoyed Tell Her No Lies, Kelly Irvin’s first foray out of Amish into romantic suspense. Over the Line? Not so much. The writing was excellent. There was an action-filled plot with plenty of suspense. There were two romances (although I was more interested in the secondary romance than the primary romance). But I didn't love it.

One of my problems was the sheer number of characters. There were a lot, and I found that confusing at times. But my main problem was the political focus. I don’
Randi Sampson
Jul 10, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
**Book received for consideration. All thoughts are 100% my own.

Several months ago, I had the chance to read known Amish fiction author Kelly Irvin's first novel in the romantic suspense genre, Tell Her No Lies. While I had not read any of her previous Amish works at that time, I absolutely loved this particular book. So when I saw she'd released this one- another in that same suspense genre, I could not wait to read it. Over the Line did not disappoint, keeping me captivated from page one.

Stephanie Norton
Jul 11, 2019 rated it liked it
"Over the Line" is an action-packed novel. As Gabriella Benoit was locking up her restaurant her police officer ex-fiance, Eli Cavozos shows up to make sure she gets to her car okay when a young man staggers up to them mumbling about Gabby's brother and collapses to his dealth. Gabby now turns to Eli to find her missing brother. The bad guys believes she knows about the gun smuggling over the Mexican border. She must stay one step ahead of them in order to protect her and her families lives. To ...more
Erin
Jul 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: celebrate-lit
My Thoughts on Over the Line:
I wasn’t sure what to think of this book at first. It seemed to be slow. I wasn’t sure I was going to connect with the characters. But the more I read the more I wanted to read and the more invested in the story I became. This is one of those books where I say to give it two or three chapters before you decide it’s not for you.

Gabriella is a baker. She specializes in desserts. I could definitely be her best friend as I love to bake! But unlike her, I also like to eat
MaryAnn Bell
Jul 10, 2019 rated it liked it

When a college student dies at Gabriella’s feet after muttering her brother’s name, vicious gun smugglers believe she knows too much. And they’re determined to make sure she suffers the same fate. With no one else to turn to, Gabriella
Sara Wise
Nov 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
** “No, being good isn’t enough. We all fall short. We make terrible mistakes. But when someone we love does this, we forgive them. Just as God forgives us. Haven’t you ever done something terrible, something awful, and been forgiven?” **

Kelly Irvin weaves an incredible tale of forgiveness while tackling the gun smuggling and border patrol epidemic in “Over the Line.”

When a young man with her ATF agent brother’s name on his lips dies right in front of her, Gabriella Benoit must turn to her
Debbie
Jul 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
"Over the Line" by Kelly Irvin is a novel that keeps you reading from the first sentence to the end. It is filled with suspense and surprises. This story is about second chances. But, it is more about learning to forgive and trust.

On a fun side, a reader might learn some Spanish. There are a few Spanish words in the story and there is a glossary at the front of the book and it was fun to flip back to it why reading.

I am really glad that the author never wrote swear words in the story even
Deana Dick
Jul 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
If you are looking for a book filled with intrigue and heart pounding action, look no further. The author has really outdone herself with this story that could easily be front page news. I really liked the locations of the story since I live in Texas. It was easy to picture the characters in Laredo or San Antonio with ease by the descriptions.

What I liked about the book was the intensity of who was the bad guys and who were the good guys. There is some back history between Gabriella and Eli
« previous 1 3 next »

• Fragments of Fear
  • Deadly Intentions
  • Dark Ambitions (Code of Honor #3)
  • One Final Breath (Dive Team Investigations, #3)
  • Strands of Truth
  • State of Lies
  • Cross My Heart (A Legacy of Faith #2)
  • Vow of Justice (Blue Justice, #4)
  • Fire Storm (Kaely Quinn Profiler #2)
  • Smoke Screen
  • Living Lies (Harbored Secrets #1)
  • The Killing Tide (Coastal Guardians, #1)
  • Midnight on the River Grey
  • Always Look Twice (Uncommon Justice, #2)
  • Fatal Strike
  • Love and Other Mistakes
  • The Yellow Lantern
  • On a Summer Tide (Three Sisters Island #1)
Over the Line is Kelly Irvin's latest romantic suspense novel, a fast-moving behind-the-scenes look at how gun smuggling affects every aspect of life on the Texas-Mexico border. Publishers Weekly said of Tell Her No Lies, "No one is above suspicion in a tale sure to appeal to readers beyond its main Christian market. Kelly's newest Amish romance series, Amish of Sky Country, debuted in August with ...more