Start by marking “Off the Grid (Koa Kāne Hawaiian Mystery #2)” as Want to Read:
Off the Grid (Koa Kāne Hawaiian Mystery #2)

Off the Grid

(Koa Kāne Hawaiian Mystery #2)

really liked it 4.00  ·  Rating details ·  83 ratings  ·  26 reviews
A scrap of cloth fluttering in the wind leads Hilo police Chief Detective Koa Kāne to the tortured remains of an unfortunate soul, left to burn in the path of an advancing lava flow. For Koa, it’s the second gruesome homicide of the day, and he soon discovers the murders are linked. These grisly crimes on Hawaiʻi’s Big Island could rewrite history―or cost Chief Detective ...more
Published July 2nd 2019 by Oceanview Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Off the Grid, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Off the Grid

really liked it Average rating 4.00  ·

Start your review of Off the Grid (Koa Kāne Hawaiian Mystery #2)
M.J. Evans
Oct 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This was the perfect book to take with me on my Hawaiian vacation! I loved the history and facts about Hawaii included in the book. I enjoyed the suspense up to the very end!
Viviane Crystal
Jul 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
On the main island of Hawaii lie numerous fields of lava-strewn, barren ground that have destroyed almost all homes, buildings, and cars in the path of exploding volcanoes spread throughout the Big Island. The mystery begins when a tattered piece of cloth leads to the remains of a man who has obviously been tortured before he was murdered and then destroyed in a horrific explosion when a truck and car collide. A blood-curdling scream is heard as Chief Detective Koa responds to the scene but is ...more
BookTrib.com
Deception, espionage, and murder erupt amid the Hawaiian volcano fields in Robert McCaw’s newest Hawaiian police procedural Off the Grid (Oceanview Publishing).

Hilo Chief Detective Koa Kāne—imagine a Dave Robicheaux of the Hawaiian Islands—doesn’t know what to make of the explosion outside Volcano Village on the Big Island of Hawaiʻi. It doesn’t make sense. Then when a second body is found buried by lava flow in the nearby Royal Gardens—a village decimated by lava from the Kīlauea volcano and
Miriam Downey
Jul 31, 2019 rated it liked it
Read my full review here: http://mimi-cyberlibrarian.blogspot.c...

Off the Grid is the first mystery I have read that is centered on the big island of Hawai’i, and on its volcano, Mauna Loa. Actually, it is probably only the second book that I have read based in Hawai’i. Here is the summary of the book:

“A scrap of cloth fluttering in the wind leads Hilo police Chief Detective Koa Kāne to the tortured remains of an unfortunate soul, left to burn in the path of an advancing lava flow. For Koa, it’
Meg
Aug 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
In the Hawaiian mystery novel Off The Grid, an abandoned rural area in the shadow of a volcano makes a perfect place for quietly living secretive, off-the-grid lives. When two people are killed, in unrelated but almost simultaneous murders, detective Koa Kane investigates, and ends up uncovering secrets that span continents and decades.

The author brings the off-grid, undocumented Hawaiian perma-camps to life. When I was in Waianae, I saw a lot of people camping permanently on the beach. (I have
J.C. Ferguson
Jul 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Off the Grid is a murder mystery/police procedural/international thriller set on the big island of Hawai’i.

The story starts with “bang” when a woman’s car is crushed by a dump truck. As the police and firemen close in, there is a massive explosion, which turns out to be a bomb. Chief Detective Koa Kãne leaves the scene to investigate a body found in the volcano Pele’s lava flow. The two victims are a man and woman who have been living off the grid on the island for twenty years with little
Geoff
Oct 04, 2019 rated it it was ok
My Recommendation: Pass. The writing was stilted and repetitive making it very difficult to read. I also found most of the characters to be one-dimensional (if even that, look at the female characters—ugh). I got it in my head I should read the first book in the series and it ended up working out in my favor that the local library didn't have it. If they did I probably would not have made it to this one. And also, the big reveal of the whodunit? Yawn...it really should've had more impact or ...more
Penny Wright
Aug 06, 2019 rated it liked it
While police procedural mysteries are not a genre that I really enjoy, if you are a fan of books featuring political intrigue and military secrets, you will love this novel. It's well-written and left me guessing until the very end.

There are a couple of issues I had with the book, which is why it's only getting a three-star rating.

First, the two main female characters are incredibly boring compared to the male characters in the novel. They read like stereotypes of women, and it was
Rekha
Aug 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
Off the Grid is the second book in Koa Kane Hawaiian Mystery series. With corruption, government secrets and some Hawaiian vibes (think orchids and pineapples!!), this book is an entertaining read.

There are many characters in this story, some good and some corrupt (includes cops and politicians). But the one character that stands out from the rest is the protagonist - Koa Kane. Koa is not perfect. His past haunts him every now and then. Flashbacks bring back horrific memories of the battle at
William Bentrim
May 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Off the Grid by Robert McCaw
This book is set in Hawaii. The main protagonist is Chief Detective Koa who is trying to avoid politics and solve crimes.
The murder of two invisible, off the grid people leads Koa down political paths he normally avoids at all costs. Holding a secret of his own, Koa, does his best to bring justice to all. When he discovers some of the mysterious victims secrets, he finds that Alice’s rabbit hole holds nothing over the spiraling plot he discovers.
The author paints a
Jeanne Kennedy
Sep 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
Off The Grid by Robert McCaw is a mystery-thriller as Chief Detective Koa Kane discovers the remains of a body murdered and left to be disintegrated by lava flow at a Hawaiian volcano site. He is shocked to learn that a second horrific homicide the same day is also linked to the other murder. Added to the intrigue is the secret the detective has of his own. As he investigates the double murders, the detective uncovers a political conspiracy at the highest level in Hawaii’s government and beyond. ...more
Jane Mitakides
Political and Mystery thriller with Hawaii as a main character

This is my second McCaw book, featuring Koa Kane. He’s a complex, flawed cop of intellect and sensitivity... remind me of my favorite spy, Gabriel Allon by Daniel Desilva. This one is better than the first I think— McCaw has really found his voice.

The writing gives you a feel and presence of Hawaii, as rich as Pat Conroy’s ability to put the reader in Carolina low country. If you like Desilva or James Lee Burke, you’ll love McCaw.
Michael Bethel
This is a mystery crime novel and while that genre hasn't ever been my cup of tea I did some what enjoy this. This was one book that I had issues with the main characters as I felt they just didn't fit with the overall story line, just something about them together and they way they interact just rubs me the wrong way. I did like that the novel is set in Hawaii and we learn about the area.

I received an free copy of this book on Kindle from goodreads and the publisher in exchange for my fair and
Bonnie Irwin
Sep 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
Koa Kane, the Hilo police lieutenant featured in this novel is one of my new favorite characters. Respectful when he needs to be, tough when he needs to be. His flawed past seems to make him a better investigator. McCaw does a good job of supplying local color and a dose of Hawaiian language and culture.
This novel pulls together local city and state police, the CIA, FBI, and DIA all in a page-turning mystery of who left a body in the path of Kilauea's lava flow.
Kimberly Lepire
Aug 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great story & Characters

I guess I wasn’t paying attention and started with Book 2 but this was my first book by this author. I read it in about 2 days. It was good. Good balance of a good story, good characters, good intrigue and good action. I highly recommend it. Now to find and read book 1!
Amy Christine Lesher
Jun 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
This book was sent to me by the author's publicist for a review.

I enjoy interesting murder mysteries and this one is right up there. Two unusual murders in one day and the twisting and turning of the both the murders and the political ambitions of the police chef and the former senator running for governor of Hawaii. Everything falls together in interesting ways and this was one of those books that I completely fell into.

The first few chapters are a little background heavy. At times I wish some
Tracy Reagan
Sep 02, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Been a long time since I’ve been this excited about a book

Great read set in my favorite place in the world. Good characters and author kept my interest. Check it out.
Marion
Sep 22, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
It was a good mystery. I wasn't sure who was behind it all until it was revealed (though I kind of had my suspicions).
Mary
Sep 04, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
good enough that I will read first book now that I won this from goodreads.
Di
Aug 21, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Enjoyed this mystery, wasn’t sure in the beginning. However once I got into it, multiple twist and turns, you don’t see coming. Highly recommend Off the Grid!
Pamela
Oct 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A new author for me, but I liked the twists and turns of the mystery.
Sandra Cruz
This title to be released on Tuesday July 2

Review:

Emily
Aug 29, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Quick and interesting read, but a bit predictable.
Becki
Aug 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed reading this book. The descriptions of the land and plants around Hawaii were beautiful and inspiring – the next best thing to taking a trip, right? But the author didn’t just rely on the thorough and colorful descriptions. The plot was also intriguing and thought-provoking. Books with believable government cover-ups and mysteries always get passed along to my dad, and I think he’ll really enjoy this one.

Off the Grid is actually the second novel in the Koa Kane Hawaiian Mystery
Megan Leprich
Jun 26, 2019 rated it liked it

Thank you so much to Oceanview Publishing and FSB Associates for the free copy of this book in exchange for my honest review.

This genre of book was something entirely new for me. I normally don’t go for military, politics, male character as the main character books but I decided to give this one a try. While it was good and the writing did keep me intrigued, I had a really hard time with this one.

One reason this book was hard for me was all of the Hawaiian language. Sometimes the words were
Maggies Daisy
Well done, loved the location and they way the writer brought all the different aspects of betrayal together to form a tale of how people are forced to take matters into their own hands for self preservation. Hawaii is a land of imminence beauty that also has many devastating way in which to die. Hope you find this book as enjoyable as I did. Happy reading!
Linda Caulfield
Sep 15, 2019
« previous 1 3 next »

• Law and Addiction
  • Rouge
  • August Origins (Mackenzie August #1)
  • Second Chance (Ryan Lock #8)
  • Flying Alone: A Memoir
  • Dead or Alive (Kevin Kerney, #12)
  • Firewall
  • The Vanished Bride (Brontë Sisters Mystery #1)
  • Lions of the Sky
  • The Great Jewel Robbery (A Front Page Mystery, #1)
  • Unspoken
  • The Ghost War (John Wells, #2)
  • Daddy's Girl
  • The Dawn Patrol (Boone Daniels #1)
  • MoonShadow Murder (Manny Rivera, #4)
  • Harm None ( A Davies & West Mystery, #1)
  • Greasy Bend
  • An Equal Justice (David Adams, #1)
Robert B. McCaw, a seasoned attorney and veteran of many headline-grabbing cases, blends his decades-old passion for Hawaiian history with a life-long enthusiasm for crime fiction to create the compelling protagonist, Chief Detective Koa Kāne, in Death of a Messenger. A former US Army officer and judicial clerk at the US Supreme Court, McCaw’s firsthand military experience, legal expertise, and ...more

Koa Kāne Hawaiian Mystery (2 books)
  • Death of a Messenger (Koa Kāne Hawaiian Mystery #1)