Start by marking “Off the Grid (Koa Kāne Hawaiian Mystery #2)” as Want to Read:
Off the Grid (Koa Kāne Hawaiian Mystery #2)

Off the Grid

(Koa Kāne Hawaiian Mystery #2)

A scrap of cloth fluttering in the wind leads Hilo police Chief Detective Koa Kāne to the tortured remains of an unfortunate soul, left to burn in the path of an advancing lava flow. For Koa, it’s the second gruesome homicide of the day, and he soon discovers the murders are linked. These grisly crimes on Hawaiʻi’s Big Island could rewrite history―or cost Chief Detective K ...more
304 pages
Published July 2nd 2019 by Oceanview Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Off the Grid, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Off the Grid

Viviane Crystal
Jul 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
On the main island of Hawaii lie numerous fields of lava-strewn, barren ground that have destroyed almost all homes, buildings, and cars in the path of exploding volcanoes spread throughout the Big Island. The mystery begins when a tattered piece of cloth leads to the remains of a man who has obviously been tortured before he was murdered and then destroyed in a horrific explosion when a truck and car collide. A blood-curdling scream is heard as Chief Detective Koa responds to the scene but is f ...more
Miriam Downey
Jul 31, 2019 rated it liked it
Read my full review here: http://mimi-cyberlibrarian.blogspot.c...

Off the Grid is the first mystery I have read that is centered on the big island of Hawai’i, and on its volcano, Mauna Loa. Actually, it is probably only the second book that I have read based in Hawai’i. Here is the summary of the book:

“A scrap of cloth fluttering in the wind leads Hilo police Chief Detective Koa Kāne to the tortured remains of an unfortunate soul, left to burn in the path of an advancing lava flow. For Koa, it’
Meg
Aug 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
In the Hawaiian mystery novel Off The Grid, an abandoned rural area in the shadow of a volcano makes a perfect place for quietly living secretive, off-the-grid lives. When two people are killed, in unrelated but almost simultaneous murders, detective Koa Kane investigates, and ends up uncovering secrets that span continents and decades.

The author brings the off-grid, undocumented Hawaiian perma-camps to life. When I was in Waianae, I saw a lot of people camping permanently on the beach. (I have
J.C. Ferguson
Jul 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Off the Grid is a murder mystery/police procedural/international thriller set on the big island of Hawai’i.

The story starts with “bang” when a woman’s car is crushed by a dump truck. As the police and firemen close in, there is a massive explosion, which turns out to be a bomb. Chief Detective Koa Kãne leaves the scene to investigate a body found in the volcano Pele’s lava flow. The two victims are a man and woman who have been living off the grid on the island for twenty years with little inte
Penny Wright
Aug 06, 2019 rated it liked it
While police procedural mysteries are not a genre that I really enjoy, if you are a fan of books featuring political intrigue and military secrets, you will love this novel. It's well-written and left me guessing until the very end.

There are a couple of issues I had with the book, which is why it's only getting a three-star rating.

First, the two main female characters are incredibly boring compared to the male characters in the novel. They read like stereotypes of women, and it was frustrating
William Bentrim
May 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Off the Grid by Robert McCaw
This book is set in Hawaii. The main protagonist is Chief Detective Koa who is trying to avoid politics and solve crimes.
The murder of two invisible, off the grid people leads Koa down political paths he normally avoids at all costs. Holding a secret of his own, Koa, does his best to bring justice to all. When he discovers some of the mysterious victims secrets, he finds that Alice’s rabbit hole holds nothing over the spiraling plot he discovers.
The author paints a
Jane Mitakides
Political and Mystery thriller with Hawaii as a main character

This is my second McCaw book, featuring Koa Kane. He’s a complex, flawed cop of intellect and sensitivity... remind me of my favorite spy, Gabriel Allon by Daniel Desilva. This one is better than the first I think— McCaw has really found his voice.

The writing gives you a feel and presence of Hawaii, as rich as Pat Conroy’s ability to put the reader in Carolina low country. If you like Desilva or James Lee Burke, you’ll love McCaw.
Amy Christine Lesher
Jun 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
This book was sent to me by the author's publicist for a review.

I enjoy interesting murder mysteries and this one is right up there. Two unusual murders in one day and the twisting and turning of the both the murders and the political ambitions of the police chef and the former senator running for governor of Hawaii. Everything falls together in interesting ways and this was one of those books that I completely fell into.

The first few chapters are a little background heavy. At times I wish some
Sandra Cruz
This title to be released on Tuesday July 2

Review:

Becki
Aug 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed reading this book. The descriptions of the land and plants around Hawaii were beautiful and inspiring – the next best thing to taking a trip, right? But the author didn’t just rely on the thorough and colorful descriptions. The plot was also intriguing and thought-provoking. Books with believable government cover-ups and mysteries always get passed along to my dad, and I think he’ll really enjoy this one.

Off the Grid is actually the second novel in the Koa Kane Hawaiian Mystery
Megan Leprich
Jun 26, 2019 rated it liked it

Thank you so much to Oceanview Publishing and FSB Associates for the free copy of this book in exchange for my honest review.

This genre of book was something entirely new for me. I normally don’t go for military, politics, male character as the main character books but I decided to give this one a try. While it was good and the writing did keep me intrigued, I had a really hard time with this one.

One reason this book was hard for me was all of the Hawaiian language. Sometimes the words were tr
Linda Caulfield
Sharon Marshall
Aug 17, 2019
Amanda
Jul 15, 2019
Robert B. McCaw, a seasoned attorney and veteran of many headline-grabbing cases, blends his decades-old passion for Hawaiian history with a life-long enthusiasm for crime fiction to create the compelling protagonist, Chief Detective Koa Kāne, in Death of a Messenger. A former US Army officer and judicial clerk at the US Supreme Court, McCaw’s firsthand military experience, legal expertise, and im ...more

Koa Kāne Hawaiian Mystery (2 books)
  • Death of a Messenger (Koa Kāne Hawaiian Mystery #1)