Start by marking “The Last Emir (Knights Templar #2)” as Want to Read:
The Last Emir (Knights Templar #2)

The Last Emir

(Knights Templar #2)

Risk everything; fight to the last: a taut and intense historical thriller from master author S.J.A. Turney

The relics of Christendom have been plundered during the long Moorish conquest of the Iberian peninsula. Newly minted Templar Sergeant Arnau de Vallbona must recover one of the most elusive to save his priory at Rourell in Spain.

Travelling to Majorca on a stealth

Published November 22nd 2018 by Canelo Adventure

To ask other readers questions about The Last Emir, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Last Emir

Start your review of The Last Emir (Knights Templar #2)
Simon Binning
Mar 06, 2019 rated it liked it
The first book in this series - Daughter of War - introduced us to Arnau de Vallbona, a Spanish knight who ended up as a sergeant in the Knights Templar. By the end of that volume, Rourell, the priory he has joined is in a sorry state. It's lands and buildings damaged, it's income much diminished.
One of the remaining Brothers - Balthazar - believes he has a way to improve the situation. Relics are a lucrative business; religious sites who possess them can attract pilgrims; and their money. So Ar
Joyce
Nov 21, 2018 rated it really liked it
4 stars

It is the year of 1199 in Spain.

The Priory of Rourell is in trouble. They don’t have a good reputation, even among other Templar strongholds. They are recently unable to attract many recruits which puts the order in trouble of disbanding or even disappearing altogether.

Sergeant Arnau de Vallbona and his trusty, but elderly, sidekick Balthesar are sent on a secret mission to Majorca to retrieve a holy relic – the bones of St. Stephen. However, the island at present is being held by the e
Derek
Jan 06, 2019 rated it it was ok
Maybe I missed something or it was the lack of reading the First book in the series, but I just couldn’t get into this book at all. I felt no enjoyment or interest at all throughout this book. I just didn’t connect with the characters and I felt that the story was very bland. While a lot seemed to happen, I felt like nothing really happened.

Thanks to SJA Turney and Canelo Adventure for providing me with an advanced reading copy.
Paul Bennett
May 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
BLURB

Travelling to Majorca on a stealth mission to retrieve the bones of St Stephen, Arnau soon discovers the raid is more complex than it first appears: the mighty
Joanna Arman
Jul 15, 2020 rated it liked it
The Last Emir was a very enjoyable read, continuing the adventures of our hero, Arnau of Valbona, a sometime Spanish knight who joins a small Templar Preceptory (run by a woman!) That was in the last book, in this one he and Brother Balthesar go to Majorca in search of a relic lost nearly a century before.

As more details about his companion's past come to light, Arnau and Baltesar get caught up the the vicissitudes of politics and war during a fascinating period in the history of the Mediterran
Jim
Jan 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019
In the aftermath of a hard defeat at the hands of the Moorish caliphate in Spain, Templar Sargent Arnau de Vallbona is sent on a secret mission alongside the aging warrior and now priest Balthesar to recover the bones of the first Christian martyr St Stephen to island of Majorca off the east coast of Spain. Thinking it to be a fool's errand, de Vallbona soon finds himself, and his aging colleague, in a battle of wits and fights, against a powerful enemy who seeks to end their quest and their liv ...more
Lel Budge
Jan 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
MY REVIEW

Set the year 1199 in Spain.

The Priory of Rourell has a poor reputation, which is something what compared to other Templar establishments. Due to this they are unable to get new ‘recruits’ and may disappear into obscurity.

So, Vallbona and his companion, Balthesar are sent on a mission to collect/steal a holy relic from the Island of Majorca, which is currently held by some Almohad, the enemy.

This is an exciting, life or death, will they won’t they drama with plenty of action and the au
Oro Plata Myta
Dec 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
It was an absolute thrilling read from start to finish, starting with the quest to find St. Stephen's rumored saintly relic to the fight against the Almohad's prized warrior, the Lion of Alarcos. Left me at the edge of my seat towards the end of the book. Simon Turney is a master of telling the story, especially in The Last Emir, of the Templar knights, giving us an overview of the tumultuous time filled with blood, gore and greed. In the end, the author leaves us with an important lesson: wicke ...more
Jaybour
Jul 26, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Unanswered Questions

I really am enjoying this series and find that I flew through the first two books. However, two niggling occurrences gave me pause.

First, what exactly was the object Arnau found on the site of Lucas's church ruins, and why did he not mention his discovery to his fellow knight?

Second, exactly what "thought occurred" to Arnau after the Lion of Alarcos's demise?

Finally, why did Arnau scramble to the parapet from which The Lion fell when the Emir appeared?

Very irritating omissio
Robin Quine
Mar 27, 2019 rated it liked it
A fast moving story following the adventures of two knights in their efforts to rescue an ancient relic and to restore the fortunes of the priory at Rourrel. The tension on the island between the knights, the Almohads and the supporters of the Emir is palpable. Descriptions of landscapes are evocative. Details of fights and conflicts are full of exhaustive detail, evidence of the detailed research carried out by the author. Tension comes to an inevitable climax at the end. A narrative full of co ...more
James Gault
Dec 13, 2020 rated it it was ok
For Enthusiasts Only

A mixed bag in this tale, the spice of action mixing poorly with the tedium of overmuch historical travelogue. A propensity for biblical quotes also overdone and I found that more distracting than engaging. Overall a disjointed string of historical facts loosely strung together in a tale which starts from nothing and ends nowhere.
M L Evans
Apr 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
A great follow up

A great follow on tale about the young novice templar knight who, as in book 1, continues his journey of education from another side old master. An intriguing insight in Moorish held Iberia and the islands of spain.
Sacha Dekker
Oct 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
Great second book in de Knights Templar series that gives yet more insight in the crusades. I love how the writer has taken a different angle, rather than just continuing where the first book left off.
Douglas Lambell
Jun 08, 2020 rated it really liked it
Warming up to this series

I enjoyed the first book of this series, and very much appreciated the in-depth look at Balthazar with his more complex history. Vallbona remains an immature character, but a necessary figure. I will be jumping into the third instalment shortly
Thomas
Mar 28, 2019 rated it liked it
Religious accommodation with moral purpose in ascent

Interesting moment in the “Dark Ages” supported by historically reasonably accurate interpretations. The author in the afterword gives a sense of perspective useful even in modern society. Worthwhile read.
Jan Locher
Fun bog good til regnvejrs dage.

Good book to sit I. You Sommer house when raining and wind is making outside troublesome. Help me to a nice holliday
David Bonnen
Oct 13, 2020 rated it really liked it
I preferred the 1st book in the series but its still a very good read and insightful into the islands and the Moors.
Guy Lawfull
Jun 12, 2020 rated it really liked it
Really stirring historical fiction.

A great clash of cultures with sword-yielding adventure to match.
Mrs Angela Furnival
Jun 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The Last Emir

The struggles go on in the search for the truth. A page turner that has a twist around every turn
Kathleen Freeman
The value for me in this book was the peek into life in the 12th century in Spain, the Christians, Moors, Jews, and how they interacted and the descriptions of buildings and life at that time.
Christine
Apr 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed the story , although found it to be quite predictable. Historical details are lacking for me or I would have rated it higher. All in all it was a good read
Terry M. Allen
Mr J M Frost
Jul 15, 2019
G M Taylor-Bashford
Jan 18, 2020

• Emperor's Sword (Imperial Assassin #1)
  • Lord Edward's Archer
  • An Archer's Crusade (Lord Edward's Archer #3)
  • Emperor's Knife (Imperial Assassin #2)
  • King in Waiting (Lord Edward's Archer, #2)
  • Templar Steel (The Brotherhood #1)
  • Crécy: The Age of the Archer (Sir John Hawkwood #1)
  • Emperor's Axe (Imperial Assassin #3)
  • Templar Stone (The Brotherhood #2)
  • The Nine (The Wolf of Corwick Castle Book 1)
  • The Wolf At Large (The Wolf of Corwick Castle Book 2)
  • Kemp: The Castle in the Marsh (Arrows of Albion Book 3)
  • Sasanian (The Thrice Named Man, #3)
  • Castilian Knight (Reconquista Chronicles #1)
  • Legionary (The Thrice Named Man, #2)
  • Son of Ishtar (Empires of Bronze #1)
  • The Legions of the Mist: A gripping novel of Roman adventure
  • Transsilvanian (The Thrice Named Man, #4)
Simon lives with his wife and children and a menagerie of animals in rural North Yorkshire, where he sits in an office, wired on coffee and digestive biscuits, and attempts to spin engrossing tales out of strands of imagination while his children drive toys across his desk and two dogs howl as they try to share a brain cell.

A born and bred Yorkshireman with a love of country, history and architect

Knights Templar (5 books)
  • Daughter of War (Knights Templar #1)
  • City of God (Knights Templar #3)
  • The Winter Knight (Knights Templar #4)
  • The Crescent and the Cross (Knights Templar #5)