Start by marking “The Night Sky Festival” as Want to Read:
The Night Sky Festival

The Night Sky Festival

A Story from the Warmest Wishes: Dreamspinner Press 2018 Advent Calendar

Photographer Zach is happy to pack up his gear and head to the Mojave Desert over the holidays. Ever since his ex-husband filed for divorce a day before Christmas, it’s safe to say this isn’t Zach’s favorite time of year.

ebook, 1st Edition, 24 pages
Published December 1st 2018 by Dreamspinner Press

To ask other readers questions about The Night Sky Festival, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Night Sky Festival

Start your review of The Night Sky Festival
CrabbyPatty
I rather liked this short story - a mere snippet at 24 pages - giving us the Night Sky Festival held yearly in Baker, California combining any number of crazy holiday traditions up to and including UFOs. Photographer Zach meets three interesting men while in Baker; friendly sweet store clerk Ethan, Broden, a hunky bear and his teenager daughter finding new Christmas traditions to share, and "man muscle wrapped in uniform" Officer Kross.

In just a few pages, S.A. Stovall really gives us a feel
Linda Strong
A story from the Dreamspinner Press 2018 Advent Calendar "Warmest Wishes."

Fortunately, he stumbles upon a town where the residents seem to agree. The good people of Baker would much rather celebrate the possibility of extraterrestrials as they dance under the stars in their
Ann
2.5 Stars

Zach the photographer is a pretty grumpy and unfriendly dude and the three gay men that he meets while in Baker on assignment weren’t fully fleshed out enough to be able to feel much for any of them beyond, “he seems nice”. It was pretty convenient when Zach chose his Night Sky partner he could shoo the other two off onto each other, which is a very romcom thing to assume that the only two (that we’re introduced to anyway) other gay men in town will be in to each other. There was no
Barb ~rede-2-read~
Dec 22, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: read-2018, holiday
This was an okay story about a guy whose husband left him two years ago on Christmas Eve. Now, he's in the Mojave Desert and finds not one, but three hot gay men who flirt with him. Three in the small town of Baron, CA that is known for UFO sightings? He thinks his luck is turning.

The author lost me at the dance. Zach's choice seemed to come from nowhere and it left me feeling as if he's making another poor choice. That's my opinion, of course. But overall, because of the way it ended, I can't
Serena Yates
Shelves: gay, holiday, read-2018
Small towns can certainly be extremely charming, full of weird tourist attractions, as well as odd, and Baker and its good people are definitely both. Zach, a photographer on assignment and wary of anything that looks or sounds like Christmas, is only there to take some pictures, except he ends up with three invitations to join their Night Sky Festival, extended by three very different men. The ending is more abrupt than I expected, but the story is still a fun snapshot of what might happen if ...more
Karen
Dec 14, 2018 rated it liked it
It's Christmas in the dessert...

At only 24 pages ‘The Night Sky Festival’ is probably one of the shortest stories in this anthology but for me it was definitely one of the most adorably delightful. Zach has packed up his gear and headed to the Mojave Desert for the holidays. Ever since his husband file for a divorce the day before Christmas it’s become his least favorite time of year. So going on a photo assignment seems as good a way to spend the holiday as any.

What Zach begins to discover is
Ami
Zach is not a big fan of Christmas, ever since his ex-husband filed for divorce few days before that time of the year. So, can’t blame Zach for being grumpy, especially when his latest photograph assignment sends him to the crazy town of Baker, at the edge of Mojave Desert, whose claim to fame is a store named Alien Fresh Jerky. Except… he’s also being flirted while here… not just one, or two, but three guys!!

This short story is pretty much just snippets of Zach coming to Baker, and well, being
Annie
3.5 stars- Loved the idea, but wanted more romance

I always enjoy this author’s writing. Her characters are unique and vibrant and her style pulls me right into the story, whether its’s a novel or short story like The Night Sky Festival. This holiday tale had a different sort of setting- a small Californian desert town that embraces the strange. I liked the idea of a holiday-hating character finding himself in a place that celebrates life. I also enjoyed watching Zach interact with multiple
Ivy
Dec 03, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: arc, romance-mm

Zach is a photographer sent to Baker a few days before Christmas to take pictures for a magazine.
He meets Ethan, a sexy cashier, Broden a hot single dad and Kross a super mega sexy cop. All of them seem to have interest in Zach, but only one of them will end their Christmas night with him.

The Night Sky Festival by S.A Stovall is a very short adorable story.

Zach is the Grinch; he doesn’t celebrate Christmas after his ex-husband asked for a divorce on
Becca
Apr 05, 2019 rated it it was ok
Wow. This needed...a lot of something. A photographer goes to a small town known for UFOs, high temps, and a huge thermometer. Three guys are after him and at this festival they are all vying for his attention. He looks two up together and hooks up with the third. The end. I'm not trying to give spoilers but that's pretty much the story. There's so much missing.
Carrie
Cute, but barely a HFN. More like HFTN/MJATF (Happy For the Night or Maybe Just at the Festival). Most of the short is about Zach comparing the other three guys to his ex (Ethan the cashier, Broden the single dad, and Officer Kross the cop).
Monika

**2.5 Stars

This story was just too short for me to get a handle on it. It had potential but it missed the mark.
Kragthang
Shelves: mm-compilation
This story was a bit odd and I don't really know what to make of it.
Katy Beth Mckee
Shelves: holiday-winter, m-m
If you look for the start of a forever relationship I'm not sure this story delivers. If you are looking for a fun and silly non-Christmas story this story will easily meet your needs.
Angela Goodrich
Review to be posted.
Christy
Extraterrestials and UFOs are not usually what I think about when contemplating the holiday season but I can certainly respect an entire town’s wish to not celebrate Christmas/Hannukah/Kwanzaa and instead have their Night Sky Festival which the whole town is fully behind. Zach ending up there turns out to be fortuitous for him and several members of the town while also helping Zach to lay to rest his negative feelings about the holiday season and his ex-husband who caused them.

Zach would like

• Holiday Island
  • Death to Christmas Sweaters
  • Haste Ye Back
  • Mosquitoes and Mistletoe
S.A. Stovall grew up in California’s central valley with a single mother and little brother. Despite no one in her family having a degree higher than a GED, she put herself through college (earning a BA in History), and then continued on to law school where she obtained her Juris Doctorate.

As a child, Stovall’s favorite novel was Island of the Blue Dolphins by Scott O’Dell. The adventure on a