Start by marking “The Faller” as Want to Read:
The Faller

The Faller

A Story from the Warmest Wishes: Dreamspinner Press 2018 Advent Calendar

Being caught with another man sends Charlie Young fleeing his family to the forests of southwestern Australia to scrape together steamer-passage to the big smoke of London. But life as a timber faller isn't easy and it’s made worse when the men he works with are brash, bigoted, and often brutal. All ex
ebook, 1st edition, 46 pages
Published December 1st 2018 by Dreamspinner Press

To ask other readers questions about The Faller, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Faller

Start your review of The Faller
* A Reader Obsessed *
4.5 Hearts

This short holiday historical packs a punch!

Charlie is scared, exhausted, and losing hope he’ll ever make enough money to escape his past.

It doesn't help that his coworkers put him on edge with neither a kind word or a helping hand. When left alone with the intimidating Jack over the holidays, Charlie just tries to keep his head down and off the guy’s radar. Thing is, Jack’s already noticed him.

Simply, a full of feels, angsty story with a large dose of hurt comfort going both ways and
Sara
5 Hearts

Yup! This was so good. I love historicals and this had the right amount of angst to it that made my heart skip beats. Jack and Charlie are so lovely and I may have a few stories floating around my head about what they got up to after this story ended.

Review on the blog and then here!

We Unicorns take the holiday spirit seriously and we're here to help you get into it!
Join us in the weeks to follow as we review all 31 stories from Dreamspinner Press's annual Advent calendar "Warmest Wish
BWT (Belen)
Nov 18, 2018 rated it it was ok
The Faller takes place at the end of 1912 in Western Australia. Charlie Young, who was thrown out of his home when discovered with another man, has come to the jarrah forest in southwestern Australia to try his hand at being a sleeper cutter. He lives in a camp with four other men, one of whom is Jack Tapper, a giant who doesn't say much but has a heart of gold and a connection with Charlie.

The Faller is from Charlie's single POV, and has some really lovely moments, but ends with such uncertain
Trio
Nov 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
Intrigued by the idea of Australian lumberjacks, and phrases like ‘burgeoning passion’ in the blurb, The Faller had me at “hello”. Daniel de Lorne’s gritty holiday offering about a young man fleeing his family’s scorn, trying to live with the guilt over his perceived affliction, touched me with vulnerable characters and an overall feeling of hope.

Since I know practically nothing about chopping down trees in rural Australia I had to do a bit of research to understand the technicalities, and here’
Karen
Dec 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
3.5 stars rounded up to 4 stars because still no 1/2 stars here on GR and I have to say not being a fan of historical I still quite enjoyed this one and reading it was no hardship.

Let's go back in time...imagine...

it's 1912 and Charlie Young is working as a timber faller in the forest of southwestern Australia trying to earn enough money to escape his family and get to London, England where he can start his life over again. He’s not working in the safest of places for a young man with his pr
CrabbyPatty
Charlie Young becomes a tree faller in Australia's jarrah forest to earn enough money for steamer passage to London. He's young and inept and worries that he'll never put together enough money to escape. When three of the five-man camp go into town for Christmas, Charlie stays behind with Jack Tapper, an expert faller who has never said more than a few words to him.

In a few short days, the men start a romance and decide to throw their lot in together, but when the other fallers return to camp, t
True Loveislovereview
Dec 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2018, lgbtq
Picture (in this case) : 1912 Western Australia ... but it could be anytime and anyplace because
forbidden love is all times and over big parts of the world.

Charlie can’t live at home anymore, so to have a chance to leave and travel to England he has to generate money. He now works in the forest as a timber faller, with four other men.
There is one big impressive but delicious looking trunk... it isn’t even made of wood... and Charlie is afraid he gives away how he feels. The guys will kill him
Apolishedreader
Dec 10, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: historical, meh, mm, christmas
Meh. I was engaged in the story until the end then I felt a bit let down. A little more would have gone a long way as it felt unfinished. Also, I feel like the last couple of books I have read were "settling" kind of romances. I want my MCs to be with who they want to be with, not just settling for who is conveniently in the same place at the same time.
Ann
I was really anxious to read The Faller and appreciated the MC’s equally just a few pages in. While the story is from Charlie’s POV, Jack is the type of strong, silent character that always intrigues me. There’s understandable conflict and stress in this short story and I felt a little strung out while I was reading it. There’s just as much action and danger as there is love and romance and the author did a good job of balancing the two, but I did want a little bit more fuzzy love being that thi ...more
Joyfully Jay
Dec 04, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: michelle
A Joyfully Jay review.

I got caught up early on in this story of young Charlie, completely out of his element, trying to earn some money to make a new life. He is ill-equipped to be a tree faller and since the men are paid by the amount of work they turn in, no one will help Charlie improve his skills. I found the initial set-up learning about what Charlie was working on interesting and the setting of the forest lent atmosphere to the story.

A lot of time is then spent on Charlie’s work
Becca
Apr 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
What a story. Life was so hard back in earlier days. It's hard enough now dealing with homophobia, but back then it was even worse. Charlie already had to run once for being caught. He tried to stay away from people and just do his job, but another Faller attracted him. And he finally got his wish to be in the man's arms. But the other fallers found out and Charlie's life was in serious danger. I hate that people are the way they are now. One even go to links like this. It's such a shame. Fortun ...more
Ruthie Taylor
Nov 30, 2018 rated it liked it
~~I received a free copy of this book to read and review for Wicked Reads ~~

For a short story this had a lot of detail which set the scene in the woods really well. And whilst the roles may be more from 1912, the situation sadly could have been from 2012.

Charlie is trying to raise the funds to leave Australia and the family that rejected him behind. To do this he is hidden out in a forest making railway sleepers with a group of rather hard men. One of them, Jack, stays behind when the others go
Avid Reader
Nov 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
The Faller (2018 Advent Calendar Daily - Warmest Wishes) by Daniel de Lorne
M/M Romance
Triggers: homophobia
I was given this book for an honest review by Wicked Reads.

Charlie is caught with another man and for that, his father throws him out and threatens his life. Knowing that he needs to get out of dodge, he heads for the only job he knows will pay well and get him to his end destination, which is London. But, Charlie is HORRIBLE at being a timber faller and despite wanting it more, he
Ami

I am quite intrigued with the book summary of The Faller from new-to-me author, Daniel de Lorne because it says to be located in Southwestern Australia. I was a little bit surprised when I started reading that it was set in a historical era – 1912 to be exact – but I guess it added the element of difference from my usual reading of this genre.

I liked de Lorne’s writing – when Charlie finally has the time to be together with Jack, just the two of them, it provides some lovely and sweet m
Serena Yates
Dec 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
Western Australia in 1912 was not exactly a safe place for a man to fall in love with another man, and as this story shows, the consequences were brutal. Charlie was caught kissing a male friend, ended up disowned by his family, and suddenly only has himself to rely on. Without any skills he ends up as a timber faller – a wonderful old word I looked up just to find out its history – and exposed to a group of rough-and-tumble men who are not just homophobic but ready to be cruel about it. But Cha ...more
Dennis Crotts
Dec 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Awesome story

Awesome but so true how gay men were treated in those days but it still so true today. Lumberjacks life is hard and in many ways can be very lonely and to have the comfort of another person either male or female means so much it a time to enjoy yourself but if you were a gay man with another man it could mean death or disgrace or both.
The story was very well told and you could feel and see what the characters were feeling or seeing both good and evil.
I compliment the author on a ve
Suze
Jul 01, 2019 rated it liked it
Short historical, where we learn about the hard life that lumber men had in 1912 - add in being gay and it is doubly hard.
Told from Charlie’s pov as a green young man trying to earn passage to England - and he chose a hard, new to him job!
He keeps to himself though being alone in camp over Christmas with the strong silent Jack does lead to them getting together. The return of the other workers does illustrate the issues men like Charlie and Jack faced.
The do walk off into the unknown, but togeth
Katy Beth Mckee
Dec 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This story is packed with emotion and in many ways is very bittersweet. Love in a way has won but they also had to give up so much.
Albert Lala
Jan 22, 2019 rated it really liked it

Short, but interesting.
Michaelene
Nov 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
This blurb was pure catnip. Gentle giant? Tree fallers? In the woods with forced proximity? My finger still hurts from how fast I requested this title. Daniel de Lorne's The Faller was a short, cute, and perfect holiday read!

Charlie is running from home, and he needs to book passage to London. It brings him to working deep in the woods of Australia as a tree faller. And he doesn't like it. Not only are most of the guys intolerant and horrible, but he's struggling to cut enough down to make money
Tom

• Miracle on Three Kings' Day
  • Haste Ye Back
  • Guess Who's Coming to Karamu
  • Death to Christmas Sweaters
Daniel de Lorne writes about men, monsters and magic.

In love with writing since he wrote a story about a talking tree at age six, his first novel, the romantic horror Beckoning Blood, was published in 2014. At the heart of every book is a romance between two men, whether they’re irresistible vampires, historical hotties, or professional paramours.

If you take your LGBT romance fiction with supernat

News & Interviews