Start by marking “Northern Deception (Heroes of the Tundra #1)” as Want to Read:
Northern Deception (Heroes of the Tundra #1)

Northern Deception

(Heroes of the Tundra #1)

Reunions can be deadly.

After a savage attack in university, Kira Summers fled to the safety of northern Canada and her work as a polar bear scientist. But when her whistleblower brother dies in a mysterious car crash, she must return home to bury him and pack his belongings. Unaware she’s carrying explosive evidence someone’s willing to kill for, she has no choice but to
Published December 4th 2018 by Anaiah Press

To ask other readers questions about Northern Deception, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Northern Deception

Start your review of Northern Deception (Heroes of the Tundra #1)
Carrie Schmidt (Reading is My SuperPower)

Wow! Buckle up (and bundle up!) for Northern Deception, Laurie Wood’s debut novel. A fast, high-stakes pace reminds me of a Love Inspired Suspense novel, with edge-of-your-seat action from the beginning right through to nearly the end. The Canadian tundra setting is vividly drawn and carries the perfect mixture of awe and fear, from the breathtaking beauty readers can easily visualize to the stark cold and rogue polar bears that are roaming about town, wreaking havoc. Wood masterfully
Suzie Waltner
Dec 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
4.5 Star Debut

Debut author Laurie Wood transports readers to the barren and dangerous Canadian tundra while delivering a story that doesn’t let up from the first page to the final one.

Kira and Lukas have a history—first loves who never spoke again after Kira walked away five years ago. With the death of her brother, their paths cross again. As Kira finds herself fighting for her life—multiple times—Lukas is determined to protect her (and his own heart). The elements, rogue polar bears, and more
Rebecca
Jan 26, 2019 rated it liked it
"Where are you, God? Why have you stripped me of everyone I've ever loved? Why am I alone?"

Trying to make sense of her life again after the questionable death of her brother, polar bear scientist Kira Summers returns to northern Canada in order to continue her research. It becomes apparent that whoever killed her sibling has struck a vendetta against her as well, for shortly after arriving back at the Arctic Science Research Centre, she narrowly escapes a vicious attempt on her life. Adding to h
Ibjoy1953 Hannabass
Dec 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
MY THOUGHTS ON THIS BOOK
This is a clean romance read with some Christian themes throughout the book. Kira Summers makes her home in Northern Canada and she works as a polar bear scientist. On the other hand Lukas Tanner moves to Churchill and works at his own Guiding Star Enterprises, giving tour guides throughout the snowy land of Canada. Even though Lukas has been there for five years, he and Kira’s paths have never crossed.

Lukas and Kira has a past outside of Nothern Canada, there is some bac
Cindy
Dec 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Laurie Wood's debut novel is a MUST READ. Whether you enjoy, suspense, romance, or even polar bears, you will love this book!
Kira studies polar bears and their migration habits, loves her job and is good at it. The research station where she works offers her a wonderful place to 'hide out' after a savage attack in her college days left her disillusioned about life and love.
Lukas leads a simple life running a wildlife tour company and caring for his special needs daughter, Sophie. He dated Kira i
Melony
Feb 06, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I thoroughly enjoyed getting to know more about the Canadian Tundra and Churchill through the character's experiences in Northern Deception.
I pretty much put everything on hold and read this book straight through. What a fascinating setting and I enjoyed the suspense element of this book because it kept me guessing. Now I want to go dog sledding.

I love reunion stories and this one didn't disappoint. Kira and Lukas have a past they must deal with while they figure out who is trying to kill them
Sherida Stewart
Nov 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A fast-paced story filled with exciting action as this couple’s safety is threatened....and strong romantic feelings between them are are rekindled!

When polar research scientist Kira Summers finds out her old boyfriend, arctic rover tour operator Lukas Tanner, lives in the same remote Canadian town, she finds her heart at risk again, as well as her life. Can Kira survive the threats and be given the second chance at love she wishes she could have?

NORTHERN DECEPTION is packed with heart-thrilling
Ruth Hill
Dec 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
I was sent a copy of this book in exchange for my honest review. I was not financially compensated, and all opinions are 100 percent mine.

This is a clean romance with Christian themes and principles woven throughout. It is a quick, easy-to-read book, and since it is the first book in a series, it's always great to start by reading the first book. I say that because I don't always have that luxury when reviewing books. But this one I did.

I enjoyed the fact that the readers were brought immediatel
Lorel Kline
May 29, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Wonderful story full of suspense and intrigue

This was a story full suspense, loss, forgiveness, friendship, healing, and love. Kira goes to her brothers funeral and meets her ex boyfriend, Lucas there. When she goes back home she finds out he lives there, too. Bad things start to happen to her and Lucas steps in to help. They figure out why her brother died and are in a lot of danger as well as those around them. Those they thought were friends or coworkers turned out to not be who they portray
Meagan
Dec 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Ahhh ... this was a great book. Mystery! Suspense! Dogsleds! Canadian spelling! LOL. (I went to Alaska in 2012, and really wanted to go dogsledding. The cruise excursion was canceled due to weather, but one day I'll get to do it!)

The book certainly starts off with a bang, and really doesn't let go until the end. Prepare yourself for some laser-focused reading time! (Life? What's life?)

Wood is a new-to-me author, but Northern Deception definitely makes me want to read more of her books.

The one is
Denise Hershberger
Oct 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
This was an amazing debut novel! I totally stumbled across it on Kindle unlimited and now Wood is on my must-read list!

This reunion romance/contemporary suspense novel is fantastic. It kept me on my toes with mystery the entire book and I didn't fully figure out the "bad guy" on my own.

The romance was perfect. I think even if romance isn't your thing you'd still enjoy this one. I really liked how she handled the flashbacks to their past. They were well timed and there weren't too many.

If you're
Sharee
Dec 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Debut author, Laurie Wood captured my attention from page one of Northern Deception. The story is packed with suspense and had me flipping pages long into the night. Set in Canada and filled with polar bears, snow, dog sled teams and adventure Northern Deception swept me into an entire world that I knew nothing about. As Kira searches for answers and battles her own fears and brokenness, she finds that the man she ran from is exactly the man she needs now. Single parent, Lukas has a heart of gol ...more
Marissa
Dec 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Northern Deception takes place in a small town in northern Canada, and captures the beauty of the little-travelled destination. It brings together facets of romance, suspense, humour, and hope, into an intricate and beautiful story.
Kira Summers is a relatable and intense character, and Laurie Wood is able to make you feel exactly what she is feeling. The strength, pain, and victory that Kira possesses is remarkable, and she is able to be those things with an attitude to boot!
If you enjoy romanti
Catherine Richmond
Northern Deception packs a lot of action and has an unusual setting. It would have benefited from editing to reduce the repetition of backstory and improve dialogue flow. The action starts too soon, before I had a chance to know and care about the heroine.

After writing a story with a character who has Down syndrome, I was interested to meet Sophie. She seems incredibly healthy and easygoing. Lukas has no difficulty securing childcare, even though his provider also runs a busy restaurant and stor
Natalya
Apr 15, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Fast paced, enjoyable read filled with secrets and surprises; Northern Deception will fill all your expectations. It is centered on God and relationships, and it might help you to look at things under a different light.
“Hon, I don’t need to know the details. I do know this—God has never left you. You have to believe that. God meets us right where we are—it could be grief, it could be sickness, it could be our own rebellious nature.”

Tabitha Bouldin
Dec 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Breathtaking!

Kira and Lukas are such endearing characters. Kira shows us that strength can be beautiful. Lukas gives us proof that even when life is not perfect, it is worth loving. God does not make mistakes. Kira suffered so much, but she used those wounds to make herself strong.
Laurie Wood does an amazing job describing the Tundra and life among polar bears. The story of God's love in spite of our decisions to leave Him behind resonates deep in my heart.
Toth Jo-Ann
May 04, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2020-books-read
Its not often that I can say that I thourghly enjoyed a book. Its a second chance book that takes place in northern Manitoba. I really enjoyed Kira Summers & Lukas Tanner's story. Its a story of survival and love. It has alot of action and suspense. The bad guys will surprise you. I love the little one that steals the show. Its well written and Laurie does a great job of drawing you into the story. I'm hoping for more of these stories. J ...more
Janene
Feb 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A great suspenseful romance

Kira and Lukas were great h and H of the story. I liked their personalities. They never did anything stupid, which occurs often in suspenseful romance. The plot had quite a few twists that kept me guessing on who was responsible for trying to kill Kira. I highly recommend this book.
Christy
Dec 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book! The characters, setting, plot....amazing! Read my full review on my blog Christy's Cozy Corners ...more
MRS SHARON HAWES
Jan 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
An exciting read!

Plenty of suspense, romance & action in this new series set in the fascinating wilds of Canada. This book is well written & the author swiftly draws the reader into the plot and the llives of the characters. A very enjoyable read!
Sara Williams
Jan 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Wood has put a significant amount of thought and research into this story. Well rounded, believable characters with fantastically developed backstories against the backdrop of a pretty fast paced plot where you literally never know what’s going to happen next. In some suspense thrillers, you know who is after the main characters. I couldn’t put this story down because I had NO idea who was behind all of the attacks. A definite page-turner.
shirley k deemer
Dec 12, 2018
Lois Lunsford
May 12, 2019
« previous 1 3 next »

• Expecting Danger (Small Town Guardians Book 2)
  • All That I Dread: A K-9 Search and Rescue Story
  • Dead Silence (Truth Seekers #2)
  • Mind Games (Kaely Quinn Profiler, #1)
  • Hidden Danger (Small-Town Guardians #1)
  • Dead Ringer (Truth Seekers #1)
  • Injustice For All (Seeking Justice #1)
  • Second Chance (Northwest Counter-Terrorism Taskforce #2)
  • Criss Cross (Holly #1)
  • Flash Point (Hometown Heroes #2)
  • Battered Justice (Cassidy McKenna #2)
  • Cross Fire (Holly #2)
  • Never Let Go (Uncommon Justice #1)
  • Ranger Redemption (Texas Ranger Heroes #2)
  • Expired Refuge (Last Chance County #1)
  • Imperfect Justice: Christian Suspense (A Seeking Justice Novel, book 2)
  • Edge Of Truth (Law Enforcement Heroes)
  • Bloody Point (Cassidy McKenna #1)
Laurie Wood has followed her RCAF serving husband across Canada, raising their two special needs children to adulthood, and "keeping the home fires burning" while she began her writing career. She's a member of Romance Writers of America, where she's finalled in several prestigious contests, as well as American Christian Fiction Writers. She writes romantic suspense and historical novels.

News & Interviews