Start by marking “Watersnakes” as Want to Read:
Watersnakes

Watersnakes

Mila is a solitary teenager ready to put another boring summer vacation behind her until she meets Agnes, an adventurous girl who turns out to be a ghost. And not just a regular ghost, but one carrying the essence of an ancient fallen king and a mouth full of teeth that used to be his guardian warriors.

Three-time Eisner Award-nominated writer/artist Tony Sandoval presents
Published November 20th 2018 by Magnetic Press (first published January 1st 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Watersnakes, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Watersnakes

Chad
Jan 17, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019, 2019-netgalley
Get this for the stylized, moody art. The story doesn't make a whole lot of sense. There's a lot of dream sequences and scenes where it's not really clear if they are real or imagined. But it's looks pretty damn cool.

Received a review copy from Lion Forge and NetGalley. All thoughts are my own and in no way influenced by the aforementioned.
destiny ♡⚔♡ [howling libraries]
That was one of the most bizarre, surreal, and unsettling graphic novels I've ever read... and I loved it so much I don't even know how to explain why. Let me start with the artwork:

This is some of the most unique and quietly disturbing art I've ever seen in a graphic novel, and it works SO WELL for Watersnakes. The story starts off with Mila, a young woman who meets another girl and is immediately captivated by her presence, her looks, her... teeth? She begins to form a seemingly unhealthy obse
Holly (Holly Hearts Books)
Nov 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: review-copies
Are you looking for an incredibly dark and gothic lesbian graphic novel? Well here you go!

This is one of the hardest reviews to write. It's so hard to put into words what this graphic novel is about because the story is mostly told through the beautiful gothic and macabre art style. Let's try... We are following a young girl named Mila who one Summer has a run in with a pretty girl named Agnes and the reader is immediately aware that something isn't right. I'll be honest, I WAS CONFUSED AS FORK
Ana
Not gonna lie, the cover with its promise of adventurous girls being badass is what drew me to this graphic novel. The fact that there are foxes here and there, in addition to queer undertones, is a welcome bonus!

First off, the art style: the opening three-four pages are ab-so-lute-ly stunning! Soon enough we’re given just a taste of how dark and creepy the story will get near the end. I love the way Tony Sandoval plays with the panels, particularly the metaphorical ones, like that of “summer gr
Mitticus
+Digital arc gently provided by Netgalley and editors in exchange for an honest review+

I'm calling this Oneiric crapstatic.

Mila finds an strange girl while on vacation. Lesbic fantasies aside, then odd, weird, fantasies starts. Ghosts, or something else, nightmares and some disturbing teeth paraphilia and story that made no sense.

2.5** for the art.

But really this was not so my thing. Ug. (--b/c teeth falling is one of my worst nighmare x_x)
Once again duped by the cover.
Dana Cristiana
First, I'd like to thank the author, NetGalley and Diamond Book Distributors for this amazing book.

The illustrations in this book are gorgeous, and the story really interesting. There were several parts when I couldn't get what was going on, but then it made sense.

As the synopsis says, the story is about a girl, Mila (which I really liked) befriend a blonde, Agnes, which was also beautiful.
Their story is beautiful and moving at the end. I also liked the "King" 's personality.

3.25 stars. I recomm
Konstantin
Nov 09, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The story was... fine, touching, all the things you'd expect from a bit darker and nastier middle grade novel - though it had gotten complex near the end, which I appreciated. But the artwork - oh, my. I'd give all the stars in the universe to the wonderful figures and the color palettes and the position of things in frames. So unique and utterly brilliant.

Definitely recommended.
Anja H.
Dec 17, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
*3 MINDFUCKED STARS*

This was my first graphic novel ever and I have no clue where to start!
I think this is the darkest, creepiest and most twisted thing I’ve ever read. Octopuses, foxes, lesbian fantasies, spirit warriors and an unhealthy teeth obsession in just 140 short pages? Safe to say my head hurts lol.

While this is a very macabre and plain weird short story, I can’t say I disliked it though. I absolutely loved the art and the pacing!

Received a free copy of this book from the publisher via
Rachel (TheShadesofOrange)
4.0 Stars
Watersnakes left such an impression on me. I couldn't stop thinking about it and ended up rereading it a few months later because I couldn't quite decide how I felt about this one. While not perfect, it had so many elements I loved. Even upon a second read-through, I still didn't completely understand everything, but I still enjoyed it so much.

This was an incredibly unique graphic novel. Blending together elements of magical realism with mild horror imagery, the story was fantastical a
Isa Lavinia

ARC provided by Lion Forge Comics through Netgalley

Watersnakes is a beautiful graphic novel.
I'd heard of Sandoval before, but I'd never checked his work until now, and I'll be sure to see what else he has to offer.

In Watersnakes, Milla is a girl on summer vacation who, on one of her wanderings, meets Agnes and falls in love with her. Her fascination with Agnes' teeth and their role in the story, as independent entities, as warriors, is surrealistically fetishistic but fits into the world o
Marianna
I chose this book because I wanted to explore Mexican literature, and I must say I had a general first good impression after all.
I loved this story, it's both quirky and disturbing but also sweet in some way, very emotional and there's a lot of introspection. It also made me feel very sad though, but in a good way - it was more a sort of empathy or melancholy rather than true sadness.
But I feel a little bit mocked. I was truly being interested and captured in a special way by the lesbian or que
Anusha Narasimhan
First off, the art is awesome! It has a very grim and gothic feel to it which perfectly suits the story. The plot was different from the fantasy books I usually read, so it kept me intrigued. Recommended to readers who like their fantasy dark.
Kristin
A Surreal fairy tale featuring characters drawn like elongated Funko Pops. Slight but unsettling.
Kirsty
Girls who come from the sea, queer love, and gorgeous goth-cute artwork – of course I was going to like this. But it's not a cute love story, it's dark as hell – weird tooth myths, octopus-vomiting, skeleton wolves, oh and also the girls from the sea are actually teeth who have to fight the skeleton wolves in a dream. It's batshit and I guess the story doesn't really make 'sense' (if we want to be boring and have things make sense all the time), and usually quirkiness for the sake of it is annoy ...more
Artur Coelho
Dec 08, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sandoval leva-nos de regresso aos tempos longínquos da infância. Recorda-nos o tempo em que os terrores imaginários ainda não mediados pela iconografia cultural nos despertavam os sonhos. Mexe com o desconforto do crescimento, sublimando num mundo de magia intemporal a amizade entre duas raparigas. Fá-lo acentuando o onirismo e o irreal, com um grafismo esplendoroso que deslumbra o leitor. Escrevo isto, com o sentimento que deixei muito de fora. Este não é um livro de frieza lógica, antes uma co ...more
antónio alves
Jul 31, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: banda-desenhada
Tony Sandoval é o autor do argumento, do desenho e da cor.
O resultado é um mundo onírico, onde se juntam a infância, o sonho, muita fantasia e seres sobrenaturais.

Já tinha gostado de "Mil Tormentas", mas gostei mais deste. A parte gráfica é fabulosa!

Lukasz
Dec 23, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It starts more or less normally. An encounter between two adolescent girls attracted to each other. Nothing new. But here comes the twist. Mila feels strangely attracted to Agnes’ teeth.

Soon,  things go from weird to insane. It turns out Agnes carries the essence of an ancient king and her teeth are his former guardians. Readers don’t get enough background information and that makes plot stranger and stranger the deeper we go.

That’s a serious issue, but I didn’t mind because I like weird ficti
Oct 29, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is more a book for looking at, than for reading. An odd tale of a girl, Mila, who meets another girl, Agnes, who seems to be a ghost, who died when she was five, yet, still continues to grow older, and who’s younger brother can hear her, but not see her.

She swallowed an octopus like creature, that apparently killed her.

Watersnakes 1

Watersnake

And yet, it still lives inside her.

Agnes is very odd, as I guess one would be as a ghost, and tells tales of her teeth leaving her to fight in wars.

Which is what ends up happ
Tamsien West (Babbling Books)
Brilliant story and beautiful illustrations, this dark tale bridges the gap between dreams and reality with the story of two teenage girls who meet during the Summer holidays. But one of them is not exactly the girl she seems to be. There are spirits, battles and picnics, it's everything I could want from a little story - and the illustrations are so incredible.
Skirmish
Jan 05, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: lgbtq, manga-comics
Book Reaction: https://neverhollowed.wordpress.com/t...
Rating: 4 Stars – minor quibbles but I loved it to bits

I received a copy of Watersnakes from Diamond Book Distributors via Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.
Brittany (UnderTheRadarBooks)
This was so beautiful and so odd. Finished it and started it right back over again!
Etienne
Oct 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What a surprise! This story was so good! Dark, weird, original, unique and amazing artworks. This is definetely a very good one!
Chesca
ARC provided by Lion Forge via Netgalley in exchange for a review

Perfect for fans of Neil Gaiman's The Ocean at the End of the Lane, Watersnakes by Tony Sandoval is a brilliant and strange tale that will keep you asking what was real and what wasn't.

The illustrations were gorgeous and the story was very unique. I enjoyed it so much although some parts were a bit confusing at first.
Phillip
Disclaimer: I received a free ecopy via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

I got a real fairy tale vibe from this book. It is a story about two young girls that meet at the beach. The parents are around but not really present for the story. Things start out innocently enough, but it moves into some pretty strange territory that sets the girls on a quest to save their lives. The story between the two girls brings in elements of a first crush, along with all the awkwardness that might enta
Devann
I received an ARC copy of this book from NetGalley

The art for this book is absolutely gorgeous and I'm honestly rating it more on the art and mood of the whole thing than the content because it is just ...confusing. I seriously had to come back to Goodreads and reread the summary after I started because I had literally no idea what was going on. Absolutely nothing plot related was really explained until the end and even then it was a very cursory explanation that left me with a lot of questions.
Nicole Hewitt
This review and many more can be found on my blog: Feed Your Fiction Addiction

This graphic novel is honestly a bit trippy, but that's definitely the style and the intention. And I will fully admit that when I read graphic novels, I'm all about the artwork, and I LOVE the style of the artwork in this book. Some parts of the story were ... strange and a little disturbing (for instance, there's a bit of a weird tooth fetish thing going on that I didn't quite understand---and an army of teeth creatu
Shannon
Read #1
Started on January 26, 2018
Finished on January 26, 2018

This was a weird one. I liked it for the art and its bizarre, almost Guillermo del Toro-esque style story... but it was kind of lacking in character depth. And the story itself could have been more detailed.
Jason
Dec 25, 2018 rated it liked it
While I liked the fantasy element, it took an odd turn or two, and it took a while to get where it was going. (e-galley from NetGalley)
Adela Cacovean

An e-book ARC copy was provided by the publisher via the NetGalley service, in exchange for an honest review.

Going in, I wasn't sure what to expect. The artwork on the cover seemed very bad-ass, so after reading through the lines of the synopsis, I knew I was in. The book pulls you right in the story, with hints of the past, and a very smooth transition to our main character, Mila, a pale Morticia-like figure of a teenager who is bathing in the sea, who
Jessy
When I saw the cover of Watersnakes, I was already half in love with it. The synopsis got me completely hooked. A ghost girl and guardian warriors (who are, taking the cover into account, all female)? ‘Yeah, I’m gonna love this’, is what I thought. And yet, 3 stars don’t really signify undying love, right?

Artwork

Ok, I already mentioned that the cover is what caught my attention, but I gotta talk about the artwork separately. Simply because it’s so good.

We get these weird people with long limbs
Madison Mega-Mara...: #108 Watersnakes by Tony Sandoval 1 4 Dec 24, 2018 12:28PM
  • Light
  • Ava's Demon, Book 2 (Ava's Demon, #2)
  • Grimm Fairy Tales Vol. 7
  • Petit (Les Ogres-Dieux, #1)
  • Doctor Strange, Vol. 2: The Last Days of Magic
  • Grimm Fairy Tales:  Tales from Wonderland vol 1
  • Trinity of Sin: The Phantom Stranger, Vol. 1: A Stranger Among Us
  • Heathen Volume 1 (Heathen, Volume #1)
  • The Ghost, The Owl
  • Space Boy Volume 1 (Space Boy, #1)
  • Manifest Destiny, Vol. 1: Flora & Fauna
  • The Challenge Of Phobos (W.I.T.C.H., # 12)
  • Four Eyes, Vol. 1: Forged in Flames (Four Eyes #1)
  • The Prince & the Sea
  • Ekata: Fall of Darkness
  • Grave Surprise (Harper Connelly Graphic Novel #2)
  • Camp Midnight
  • Cucumber Quest: The Doughnut Kingdom (Cucumber Quest, #1)