Start by marking “Lord of Thundertown” as Want to Read:
Lord of Thundertown

Lord of Thundertown

In the movies, Thundertown was depicted like a real town, with boundaries, Folk-run businesses, and a government. In real life, Thundertown was a block here or there, three businesses on the same side of the street, an unconnected sewer main, or a single abandoned building.

When an epidemic of missing person cases is on the rise, the police refuse to act. Instead, Alex Dela
Published January 6th 2020 by Nine Star Press

To ask other readers questions about Lord of Thundertown, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Lord of Thundertown

Start your review of Lord of Thundertown
M.A. Hinkle
Jan 05, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I have been waiting for this book for, like, a year, and it did not disappoint. It's strange and sprawling in the best way, both ambitious and highly personal. It reminds me a lot of Neverwhere or Stardust, both by Neil Gaiman, where the story is at once about a few characters who have fallen into a magical world and are way in over their heads, and about the powerful, impossible to understand forces pulling the strings in the background. This is urban fantasy in the best sense: where characters ...more
Joyfully Jay
Jan 15, 2020 rated it liked it
A Joyfully Jay review.

ord of Thunderdown utterly failed to engage me as a reader. One of the biggest issues I had with the book was how extraordinarily poorly this noir-ish fantasy world was described. My best understanding is that the world is divided into “above ground” and “below ground” realms; humans primarily occupy the former and…not humans primarily occupy the latter. Cieri seems to describe the nonhuman entities as Alvar, trasgo, and Folk without clarifying what (if any) dist
Josephine Pizzino
Anyone who has spent time on a NYC subway knows how disconcerting it is when your train changes destination while in route, and that disconcerting, freaky feeling as you and your fellow passengers wonder where you're going and how to get back to where you set out to go. Now, imagine that subway has been hijacked, not by the MTA but by the Aether, a mysterious entity/force which unpredictably changes streets and tunnels in a kind of architectural anarchy, unconcerned about the effect of these cha ...more
Cat
Jan 07, 2020 rated it liked it
Baffling, but Interesting

I loved the way this book started. Instead of one large info-dump, the author staggers what is happening in the book’s world with the information needed to create the world. There is very dynamic world building happening, and it requires a great deal of attention, so breaking it up while moving the story along is an excellent way to go about it.

The characters are many, which got quite confusing at times, so eventually I just focused in on the ones I considered to be
Charlotte
Jan 05, 2020 rated it liked it
Mostly a mystery. This is a world in which Lords rule over the territory. There's magic, there are bizarre creatures, and aether is molded into blocks and spirit-like-appearances and mechanics. Alex is trudging through life, living in a small room in a building (there's a fair amount of squalor in this book) with his roommate, Nails. They're getting by... albeit not so comfortably... and then their friend, Sam disappears. When she returns, she tells them that she was captured and taken to  "Thun ...more
Joscelyn Smith
Jan 12, 2020 rated it really liked it
A strangely compelling story with a plethora of engaging characters and top-notch world building. All in all an enjoyable read and I hope that this unique world will be revisited.

*I voluntarily reviewed a copy of this book provided by NetGalley*
Shirley
Jan 11, 2020 rated it liked it
I really wanted to like Lord of Thundertown. Actually, I did like a fair amount of it. The writing was great, the characters were intriguing and the world building drew me in. The problem was that this story line was all over the place. So much so that I spent a fair amount of time confused.
Even so, that doesn't mean that I'm going to give up on this author. Given that this is not only the first book that I've read by O.F. Cieri, I'm pretty sure it's their first book. I'll be on the look out for
Sebastian Nothwell
Nov 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Raw and evocative, this novel breathes new life into the genre. Cieri's decadent prose combines fantastically unnerving fae with the dirt-under-your-nails realism of life for the working poor of New York City to craft a compelling fairy tale with twists and turns worthy of an ancient Greek tragedy.

Fans of Holly Black, Neil Gaiman, China Miéville, and Charles de Lint will enjoy this queer fable for a new age.
Micchi Kins
Jan 08, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: january-read
I loved the writing style in this book, and definitely want to read more by this author. The worldbuilding was amazing, rich and robust without feeling like I was getting an exposition dump every five seconds. The story itself is relatable, and enjoyable.
Maryann Kafka
Jan 19, 2020 rated it liked it
I had no idea where this novel would take me but I was absolutely hooked by blurb and Prologue. I liked the plot of getting lost in the subway of NYC.

The story starts with Samantha “Sam” after a hard day of work taking the subway home. As usual the power surges but this time it doesn’t come back on. Sam and several other passengers attempt to walk through the tunnel and disappear.

With the disappearance of Sam, Alex Delatorre and David “Nails” Kaczorowski need to find their friend. Alex made the
Coltostallion
Feb 22, 2020 rated it liked it
I'm not entirely sure how to rate this book, to be honest. The writing was good, the characters were decent, but I wasn't entirely sure what was happening at many points. It's not necessarily a bad type of confusing, but I don't think I enjoyed it as much as I could have.
Sam (The Literary Hooker)
**Review to follow**
Morwen
rated it it was ok
Aug 08, 2020
O.F. Cieri
Jan 08, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: urban-fantasy
Jan 04, 2020
Isabelle Adler
Jan 05, 2020

• Doomware (Doomware #1)
  • Tough Guy (Game Changers, #3)
  • Howling on Hold
  • Boiling Over
  • Unraveling
  • The Perils of Intimacy
  • To the Flame
  • The Empires of Luxor City
  • Perfect Kiss
  • The House in the Cerulean Sea
  • Jeremiah (High Rise, #1)
  • The Broken Earth Trilogy: The Fifth Season / The Obelisk Gate / The Stone Sky
  • A Touch of Danger (Surviving Vihaan #1)
  • Just Like That (Albin Academy, #1)
  • The Path Keeper (The Indigo Chronicles, #1)
  • The Only Good Indians
  • Fire & Water (Kate Kane, Paranormal Investigator #3)
  • Second Chance
O F Cieri lives in New York, where she spends most of her time thinking about anything but what she’s doing at the moment. Her favorite parts of history are the fight scenes. Lord of Thundertown is her first published work.