Start by marking “Gallium” as Want to Read:
Gallium

Gallium

Mya is a salvager in a system long ago mined out and abandoned by the Gallium Corporation. But when she finds an ancient ship buried deep on a Moon, someone tries to stop her. What did she find? Why do they want to leave it hidden? And should Mya risk her job-- and her life-- to make the salvage of a lifetime?
Audiobook, 5 pages
Published November 6th 2018 by Tom Merritt

To ask other readers questions about Gallium, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Gallium

Veronica Belmont
Jul 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Shelves: scifi, sl-laser
I'm biased. This is a biased review.
Amy
Jan 04, 2019 rated it liked it
3.5 stars. Prose a bit awkward...audio reading a bit awkward too. I like Merritt and Belmont better as podcasters. It is an engaging and intriguing story though, about salvage and corporate hijinks.
Dave Packard
Nov 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audible, laser
Great fun, great reader on audible (Veronica Belmont). An interesting book on a couple of different levels.
Gregory
If Lot Beta was King Arthur in a futuristic space corporate universe, then Gallium is Tom Merritt leaving Twit.tv to start Daily Tech News after moving to L.A. in a futuristic space corporate universe.

The story is good, but with perhaps too much detail in some aspects, but not enough in others. More world building, or at least descriptions of the world the story is taking place in would be good. It took me a bit to figure out that the North system, was not a different solar system than the South
Qukatheg
Jul 12, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science-fiction
Mya works as a salvager, which means she mostly reclaims (space) debris for recycling, while occasionally stumbling upon artefacts with historical value. Then she finds an ancient colony ship that hails back to the very beginning of colonisation.

Such an interesting concept, but the writing falls flat. Somehow the chapter breaks manage to come at the worst times, which means the most fascinating parts of the story are skipped or glossed over. The focus of the story is instead on Mya's exchanges
Colin Forbes
Jan 27, 2019 rated it liked it
Enjoyed it ... until I didn't.

I was enjoying the characters, the storytelling style, the intrigue - but then it all wrapped up very abruptly and not very satisfyingly. The 'win' was too easy, and didn't entirely make sense to me.

I would have enjoyed a story twice as long (it's a very short book) in the same setting with the same characters and just a bit more plot.

Not his best to date.

(Sorry!)
Digit
Feb 12, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Really like both of these podcasters series and bought this book hoping to give some support to their individual projects, but I have to be honest. It was not terrible, so I finished it. However, the plot was choppy and the audio was a bit amateurish, which pulled me out of the story. Hopefully their future work will improve.
Kimberly
Jul 22, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018-read
I really wanted to like this one - but - I thought there was a bit too much time spent on some of the smaller details like equipment/planets/etc., not enough time spent on character development, and the ending felt really rushed.
Keith
Dec 31, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This had an interesting story and concept. It came across a bit too much like a documentary for me to really like it.
Will
Dec 17, 2018 rated it it was ok
Kept getting pulled out of the story with the Podcast industry politics. It kinda ruined it for me.
Noam Josephides
Nov 29, 2018
Tatchy
Jun 27, 2019
m
rated it did not like it
Jul 08, 2018
Aug 19, 2018
Allen Bearce
May 27, 2019
« previous 1 3 next »
Tom Merritt is a technology journalist and broadcaster. Tom has previously worked at TechTV, CNET and TWiT. He currently hosts the Sword and Laser book club podcast, Daily Tech News Show, Current Geek and Cordkillers among others.

photo by Andrew Mager