Start by marking “How High the Bounty” as Want to Read:
How High the Bounty

Jessie Louetta Wright

How High the Bounty

4.44  ·  Rating details ·  9 Ratings  ·  3 Reviews
Published August 28th 1982 by SalMagundi Enterprises (first published 1982)

To ask other readers questions about How High the Bounty, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about How High the Bounty

DawnBorealis
Nov 19, 2015 rated it it was amazing
While I'm due to read it again, I still adore this book just as much as ever. Not only does this account mostly take place where I grew up, but the author is my great great great great aunt who essentially homesteaded family property that is still in the family today.

Jessie's story of being a woman in an exploratory time as a young bride is both invigorating and often delightful. The book can be tough to read due to the typeface chosen by the publisher, but you get used to it as you get wrapped
Harry
Sep 28, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: biography
What a fun adventure to share in the life of this spirited woman with a pioneering spirit. At first I thought this long book would get repetitive and boring but she has a way of telling stories and such a store of interesting experiences to relate it never seems to get old. Watching the area go from wilderness to roads, electricity, people, was fascinating and illuminating. We may not be able to go back to the wild but we can be thoughtful in our "progress".
Thomas Walton
Sep 29, 2014 rated it really liked it
Great Book! The history of the Umpqua Basin from late 1800s to later 1900s. Takes place where I now live (Glide, Dixonville and Roseburg).
Biography of Perry & Jessie Wright, who homesteaded in the Umpqua National Forest on the North Umpqua River. Great tales of a great and beautiful place and hearty people.
Siina Morin