Start by marking “Lady Smoke (The Ash Princess Trilogy, #2)” as Want to Read:
Lady Smoke (The Ash Princess Trilogy, #2)

Lady Smoke

(Ash Princess Trilogy #2)

A tale of love, revenge, power and betrayal, Lady Smoke is Laura Sebastian's epic fantasy sequel to the New York Times-bestselling Ash Princess.

After escaping from imprisonment under the brutal Kaiser, Theodosia is on the run, plotting to take revenge and reclaim her rightful place as queen of the enslaved Astreans.

Thousands of miles away from her people and her throne,

Published May 2nd 2019 by Macmillan Children's Books (first published February 5th 2019)

To ask other readers questions about Lady Smoke, please sign up.
Laura Thank you for your question. The whole series will be told from Theo's POV. I realize the name is misleading, but this book and book 3 all focus on…moreThank you for your question. The whole series will be told from Theo's POV. I realize the name is misleading, but this book and book 3 all focus on Theo's journey.(less)
Amira Soren and Theo is a toxic relationship lol (my opinion no offense)…more Soren and Theo is a toxic relationship lol (my opinion no offense) (less)

Start your review of Lady Smoke (The Ash Princess Trilogy, #2)
Sana
This book was powerful powerful powerful powerful! I'm speechless and mind blown right now. Seriously, what a fucking powerful book.

Theo is such a fucking bad bitch and I literally don't deserve to breathe the same air as this Queen, holy SHIT.

This book was more political but equally as scheming, bloody and violent as the first one and filled with unexpected twists and deaths.

It made me so happy to read about a bisexual, female ruler even though she shows up for a little while in this book.
Cesar
Feb 19, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4 stars.

Lady Smoke has exceeded my expectations. Usually, in a trilogy, there's always the chance where the second book suffers from Second Book Syndrome. To me, Lady Smoke was a pretty damn good installment to the Ash Princess trilogy.

Mind you, this will not be for everyone as I will explain further, but for a second book, I was really impressed by how the story progressed as well as the stakes that were involved.

Lady Smoke takes place right after the events of Ash Princess where Theodosia
Helena of Eretz ✰
This series is slowly, but surely, becoming a new favourite of mine. I expected this instalment to suffer from Second Book Syndrome, but I’m happy to announce that it didn’t! There was no lull in the action or fluff in the story. Rather, the plot kept me riveted and stressed over the safety of my favourite characters.

Theo is such a wonderful protagonist and queen who truly wants to do right by her people. Søren, often a lad in distress, unfortunately, is such a sweet, but protective, character
Cindy ✩☽ Savage Queen ♔
9/28/18
...an army can only be produced if Theo takes a husband.

via GIPHY

But seriously, like wtf why!? There had better be a good reason, like this better not just be a convenient plot device used only to make the heroine to choose between two boys.
---
8/4/18
Loving the cover!
---
Based on the title I feel like we're going to get a lot more Cress, and honestly I am not sure I want that
helena
The Princess of Ash is dead. Long live the Queen.

WHAT AN AMAZING BOOK, YOU GUYS!!!!! oh my god. oh my god.
i simply couldn’t put down. every chapter was a delight to read. all of them felt interesting and well-written, nothing ever feels like a filler here and i absolutely love it. the characters were amazing, the romance was good, the intrigues were awesome, the battles were consistent. amazing! just amazing! i was hooked the entire time!
just read it.
Gaby (lookingatbooks)
I DESPERATELY HOPE THEODOSIA USES HER FIRE MAGIC ...more
Dannii Elle
Mar 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
Actual rating 4.5/5 stars.

Theodosia is the last remaining heir of a vanquished country, now owned by its conqueror and the man who kept her a beaten and paraded captive, for almost her entire childhood. But this once Ash Princess is now determined to fulfil her role as Queen Theo, and this queen wants her land back and her people freed.

The Theo the reader was introduced to in the previous series instalment is a very different being to the one that appeared here. Theo's original wishes were
megs_bookrack
Your Amazon.com order of "Lady Smoke (Ash Princess)" has arrived!

Katie.dorny
Feb 17, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019
Tekla
Aug 25, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: faves, books-2019
Spoilers for Lady Smoke hereunder.

“I hope you come to see that a woman can wield power beyond what’s between her legs—for your daughter’s sake if nothing else.”

“There’s a reason you can’t find the word virginity in Astrean. The concept doesn’t exist.”

~ ~ ~

These books are addictive. Even flawed, I just couldn’t stop reading.

This was so much better than I expected.

Theo became such a complex and rich character. I loved how grey she was in so many areas. Loved her journey into finding who she was
Suzanne
Feb 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really liked Ash Princess but Lady Smoke was much better! This one was intense and you are more invested in the characters and plot so the 500+ pages just fly by. Readers will grow more attached to the characters in this one than they were in the first, but a couple things were predictable. However, the predictability did not take anything away from the story or the enjoyment of the story. Just a very good sequel and that ending…oh my! Cress got to go though. She a bit overdone now…

My quick
. (not active on this account stop adding me)
i was gonna come home form work and write a review about how much i love this world and the main characters but my wifi decided to shit itself again and the company straight up refuses to fix it ever so :-)
Brittany
4 Stars!!

Lady Smoke picks up right where Ash Princess left off. Theo is trying to get everything in order on her travels with Dragons-bane and her fleet. They are all looking for allies to take down the Kaiser and Cress.

Things I Liked:
Theo shows a ton of growth in this book as her character falls in line with the title of Queen. Shes starting to come into herself and really
Sophie "Beware Of The Reader"
Buddy read with Angy.

I read it in two days as I really was immersed into the story. It was slower in the beginning as I had to remember everything that had happened in the first book and who was who.

I like Theodosia better in this second book. She has matured and changed from the frightened little girl. Being far from the Kaiser is helping her of course. I like that she is experienced in navigating royal court and gives as good as she gets all with a saccharine smile. Yet she never loses sight
Rae
Feb 12, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobook
You can find this review and others on the blog here:

WARNING:This Review Contains Mild Spoilers for Ash Princess.

It's always the true test of a series if the second book can live up to the expectation that you were left with when you finished the first book. Will it have the same voice? Will the characters grow with the story? What will happen? Do you even care what happens next? And when you do finally get your hands on a copy of that book you've been
Yoda
Nicki Chapelway
This could have been an entertaining tale, but it did have its issues. The content was unnecessary. There were way too many subplots and pretty much three hundred pages in the middle of the book weren't even needed for the plot XD. I ended up skimming a good deal of it. I didn't find any of the twists shocking and they were really quite cliche. Theo was a mostly good heroine but she still makes crazy decisions half the time and she really frustrated me in the first half. Actually anything having ...more
Sasha
It was as the first book a 3 stars for me. I enjoyed it but I wasn't like sucked in to the story.

I still really want to read the last book in the series...
I felt like it was slower (maybe lots slower I don't know) but I really enjoyed the character developments in that one. We actually got to understand more some of the characters... But still some behaviour didn't make sense...
Alaina
It was good.. but god dammit - I hate love triangles.

Okay, I keep changing my mind on this freaking book rating. I can't decide to put a 3 or 4 star... so it'll be a freaking 3.5. Like I mentioned above, Lady Smoke was a good book. I have the audio version, which definitely makes it a bit easier for myself when working such long drastic hours. Now this book starts where the previous book, Ash Princess left us.

However, I feel like the characters didn't really do anything in this book but when
K8
Dec 20, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
She takes another drink, a smaller one this time, before looking at me thoughtfully. “You’re lucky that you didn’t really know her.”

“Did you just say that I’m lucky my mother died?”

“I didn’t say that,” Dragonsbane says, rolling her eyes. “But it’s nice, in a way, to have her preserved so purely in your memory—a perfect mother and a perfect queen, brilliant and kind and valiant. She’s practically a goddess in your mind, isn’t she?"

00 high points final
– Actual progress toward Theo reclaiming her country near the
Jackie
Jun 28, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Honestly I felt that this book could be a 3 stars. I didn’t like the love triangle that was very unneeded. There are other weaknesses revolving romance and forcing her to marry. Some good parts though and this is a second book which are usually weaker, so I decided to round 4stars.
Vicky Who Reads
the DRC of Ash Princess says the title for book 2 is Lady Smoke (coming spring 2019)

"When there's smoke, there's fire."
Joshee Kun (조수아)
Thank you, Penguin Random House, for giving me a finished copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.

My mother was the Queen of Peace. But I am not that sort of Queen.

This sequel to Ash Princess was worth the wait. I've always loved political fantasies since they typically have enough intrigue to keep the pages flipping. With that in mind, Lady Smoke gave me the reading experience that I expected. Even though I didn't completely recall everything that happened in the first book, I didn't
Mak
Aug 01, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An easy read and an interesting plot.

It’s a mash of many other stories I’ve read, but there’s a simplicity to it and the story is woven in such a way that attracts the reader and satisfies in many levels.

It has strong elements: an orphaned female leading character who has weaknesses and strengths all shaped by her upbringing, both by her mum and then the Kaiser, a strong love triangle, interesting supporting characters with equally interesting backgrounds, drama, laughter, plotting, vengeance,
Atlas
Feb 25, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ya, arc-s
"Friends, enemies, I don't think it matters anymore. The chains are just as heavy, no matter who holds the key"

* * *
3 / 5

My opinion of Ash Princess was that it was a perfectly fine YA fantasy book. In fact, it seemed to have many popular tropes crammed into it: an orphan princess, a country under the rule of a tyrannical king, the king has a hot son, her hot childhood friend rocks up, and rebellions and love triangles ensue! I like Lady Smoke because it doesn’t feel like it was trying so hard.
Sophie Gabrielle
May 17, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Positives:
+ Ash Princess had gay characters and diverse races and cultural references but Lady Smoke really ramps up the diversity rep. As the world opens up, so too do other nations who are filled with LGBT characters, feminist politics and even a character hinted to have autism. All of this is done with natural poise and never felt like a PC checklist or a pointlessly huge ensemble. Also, I am HERE for that tiny m/m ship
+ Lady Smoke also takes the political elements of the previous novel and
Samm | Sassenach the Book Wizard
Wow okay so I LOVED how this ended. Like so much! This was such a solid book two of a series!

I loved the new geopolitical angle we got and how it tied back to book ones ending. I was NOT expecting anything that happened in the last like.. quarter of the book. I like this romance triangle set up and am insanely curious to see how that's going to be tackled in book 3. Theo just grew a shit ton in this book alone but it's like night and day comparing her to the start of Ash Princess to the end of
Natalie ♡
2.5
I don't know, what it was, but I didn't enjoy it as much as the first book. Although I still liked it :)
Literary Weaponry
Review taken from Literary Weaponry

As you can see above, I rated this book 2.5/5 and that was being generous. So, all things considered, this is going to be more of a rant than anything else. SPOILERS WILL FOLLOW.

~*~INCOMING SPOILERS~*~

Did I warn you enough about spoilers? Did you get the point? Good. Moving on.

I had preordered this book and received it on release day back in February. When I read Ash Princess, the first book in this trilogy, I had genuinely enjoyed it. There was an engaging
Laura ☾
Dec 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy

'There is something to be said for someone seeing your darkest parts and accepting you anyway'

In this spell-binding and much darker sequel to Ash Princess, Theo, finally away from the Kaiser, sets out on a journey to discover herself and try to regain her rightful throne.

I actually really enjoyed this read. The character development is evident, and the characters' growth, particularly Theo's and Art's are brilliant! However I did still feel that this was a bit cliché at times, and

• Evermore (Everless, #2)
  • The Queen of Nothing (The Folk of the Air, #3)
  • The Queen's Resistance (The Queen’s Rising, #2)
  • Four Dead Queens
  • Sorcery of Thorns
  • The Wicked King (The Folk of the Air, #2)
  • Kingsbane (Empirium, #2)
  • A Curse So Dark and Lonely (Cursebreakers, #1)
  • Serpent & Dove (Serpent & Dove, #1)
  • Shadow & Flame (Rime Chronicles, #2)
  • Bloodleaf (Bloodleaf, #1)
  • Finale (Caraval, #3)
  • Vow of Thieves (Dance of Thieves, #2)
  • Five ​Dark Fates (Three Dark Crowns, #4)
  • Crown of Coral and Pearl (Crown of Coral and Pearl, #1)
  • House of Salt and Sorrows
  • Broken Throne (Red Queen, #4.5)
  • Nightblood (Frostblood Saga, #3)
I write YA books and I'm also entrusted with taking care of other people's children. I write books about girls who are strong in all different ways, usually with a healthy dollop of magic and a few dragons.

I live in NYC with my extraordinarily fluffy dog, Neville.

Ash Princess Trilogy (3 books)
  • Ash Princess (Ash Princess Trilogy, #1)
  • Ember Queen (Ash Princess Trilogy, #3)
“As women, we must have our weapons in this world, whether they’re our minds or our fists or our wiles or our tears.” 5 likes
“A queen without a crown, without a throne, without a coronation. What, exactly, do you imagine you're queen of?” 3 likes